• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS: new firmware update available (9.6.0.24) - Home Menu layouts

GameE

This also adds the Nintendo browser minigame. (A breakout clone)
Go to the "New Tab" page.
Tap the rhythm of the Super Mario theme ""Du du, du, Dudu du""
STAGE SELECT will appear.
You can now hit a URL made out of bricks.

Gonna have to try this out. For new 3DS only or other 3DS units also?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Gonna have to try this out. For new 3DS only or other 3DS units also?

Not sure. I just managed to take a blurry picture of it. (I know it sounds like I'm trolling.)

KlrScrq.jpg

georly

Since you can tie layouts to themes... can you randomize layout/themes, too?

ALBW sucks when viewed from the left (best when scrolled down a bit) but most other themes are good when viewed from the left.

Im downloading the update now but it seems to be stuck in the middle and NOT moving so not sure what Im supposed to do...Rebooted the 3DS XL and its FINALLY moving now phew

This update breaks emuNAND for anyone running Gateway to run region free on their new3DS/old3DS.
That feels like every other firmware update these days but good to have confirmation in any case.

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/9.6.0-24
While they are adding New features to old it would be nice for them to add network share (hackers have proved it works perfectly on old systems) as at least that would do something unlike the pointless amiibo settings. I know removing the SD card isn't as hard on the old system but it is nice to avoid having to do so.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but JP users can do this now:

You can attach badges to folders. This would be more helpful if the badges were more suited to categorization, but it's better than a single letter.

georly

You can attach badges to folders. This would be more helpful if the badges were more suited to categorization, but it's better than a single letter.

I think there's even a Famicom badge you can put on a folder.

This makes me want badges even more now. It's baffling we don't have it yet. My folders are organized by console (NES, GB/GBC, GBA, eshop), so having icons would be fantastic. I'd also love zelda icons for zelda themes, etc. Oh well. Maybe they'll announce it next direct.

Wish we could have designated system logo badges or icons for folders, like an SNES logo for an SNES VC folder for example. Same goes for Wii U, and other categories as well. The move toward digital means we should at least be able to make this stuff look good but in general it's been a mess (and not just on Nintendo systems).

Zing

Banned
I do leave my n3DS in my bedroom mostly plugged in all day though so I'm not flipping the wifi toggle to save battery as often.
Tests show that over an entire single charge of the battery, you save a grand total of five minutes of battery life with wifi off. It's hardly worth the effort to care.

Doopliss

Can't see myself ever using this feature. I'm a bit annoyed that it'll now take an extra step every time I want to adjust the brightness, which I frequently do.

Zing

Banned
Is that just n3DS or 3DS in general?
It was on the original and XL. I found a couple articles when I was trying to see if power saving mode was worthwhile.

Here's one:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26166/3ds-battery-tests

At brightness of 5, they saved five minutes. At brightness of 1 (is that even usable?), they saved 17 minutes.

So, interpolating that, you would save around 10 minutes at medium brightness. I suppose that could be worthwhile if you rarely use the wifi. Still, that is 10 minutes out of five hours.

For those wondering about power saver, if you use brightness of 4 or 5, it will give you about an hour extra battery. I find it just destroys contrast, though. Also note that power saver only really helps at high brightness settings, as its function is to lower the backlight during dark scenes. If you have low brightness already, it makes little difference.

It was on the original and XL. I found a couple articles when I was trying to see if power saving mode was worthwhile.

Here's one:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26166/3ds-battery-tests

At brightness of 5, they saved five minutes. At brightness of 1 (is that even usable?), they saved 17 minutes.

So, interpolating that, you would save around 10 minutes at medium brightness. I suppose that could be worthwhile if you rarely use the wifi. Still, that is 10 minutes out of five hours.
Those wireless tests are done with a game on and running though. Sleep mode is a different matter where it lasts considerably less time when you have wireless on (due to streetpass, spotpass etc).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well that Easter Egg is certainly cool. Surprised this is the first time I've heard of it.

Zing

Banned
Those wireless tests are done with a game on and running though. Sleep mode is a different matter where it lasts considerably less time when you have wireless on (due to streetpass, spotpass etc).
I suppose. I never disable my wifi. I just went 36 hours without a charge and there was plenty of battery left. I had played it for about three hours with 3D on (checked my activity log), and it slept the rest of the time with wifi on.

If wifi does drain battery faster during sleep, it isn't noticeable in normal use. That said, if you literally never streetpass anyone or take your 3DS anywhere, I see no reason not to disable wifi.

stolin

I just want a quicker way to toggle the WiFi on the n3DS XL, such as a button on the Home screen. I miss the hardware-based WiFi toggle of the 3DS XL. After finally getting used to the new stylus and rearranged ports & buttons of the n3DS XL, the lack of a hardware WiFi toggle is my only remaining complaint about it.

I really dislike the location of the Power button on n3DS XL. As I rest the casing on my little fingers, in Smash it's registered powering off the unit many times mid-match. From that first press you cannot return and only fully Power off...

catmario

This update sucks.
I met too many errors while I updating my 3DSes.
It's about 15 times. I never had this error before. What's happening?

rpmurphy

This is amazing. :O

Now I can folder all my Famicom games into a folder with... a Famicom badge. Glorious!

georly

Getting a weird error trying to update this. About 1/3 through the download bar it says an error has occurred and restarts my system. Anyone else have issues updating in the past? I've never had any (wifi hasn't changed recently, can still play online, etc). Bar gets to the same point every time before kicking me out. Even tried powering off the system for a few minutes then back on, nothing.

georly

May just be eshop overloaded. This isn't the usual update at only takes a few seconds to download.

It's been doing it all night for me :/ Tried at 7, tried again just now. Oh well, i'll try tomorrow. I'm just worried about the part where it fails out at the same point every time.

Top Bottom