• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS: new Firmware update available (Ver. 11.0.0-33)

NolbertoS

At least you guys are creative. PS Vita stability updates are dead and not S creative :(. Where's the guy smoking crack.gif for stability updates.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
...go on.

I dunno man, just look at all of the cool homebrew going on that's possible and then imagine what nintendo could do as the console creators.

Region free, surpassing the 300 title limit, better folder names, rearranging home menu layout thingies, ALLOWING N3DS CLOCK SPEED OR L2 CACHE ON OLDER GAMES TO SEE IMPROVEMENTS, etc.

This is all cool stuff. Some of that is stuff that nintendo does not implement but that my 3ds has. Which is sad.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I dunno man, just look at all of the cool homebrew going on that's possible and then imagine what nintendo could do as the console creators.

Region free, surpassing the 300 title limit, better folder names, rearranging home menu layout thingies, ALLOWING N3DS CLOCK SPEED OR L2 CACHE ON OLDER GAMES TO SEE IMPROVEMENTS, etc.

This is all cool stuff. Some of that is stuff that nintendo does not implement but that my 3ds has. Which is sad.

Region Free isn't happening for obvious reasons, the 300 title limit likely has to do with system stability (hardy har har), changing the N3DS clock speed likely makes some old titles unstable and isn't worth the potential headaches.

No clue about rearranging home menu features...but that doesn't really seem like a priority thing.

MikeDip

Region Free isn't happening for obvious reasons, the 300 title limit likely has to do with system stability (hardy har har), changing the N3DS clock speed likely makes some old titles unstable and isn't worth the potential headaches.

No clue about rearranging home menu features...but that doesn't really seem like a priority thing.

I'm just saying things are possible. Improvements can be made.

Well, I mean, for anyone new to these threads or anyone confused by them, the reason we make fun of these stability updates lies in how...

In the 3DS's case, it's blatant lies. A million and one stability updates later, my n3DS still gets the same freezes and Kernel Panics my old 3DS was getting under the exact same circumstances years ago. Anyone take notes on how these "stability updates" almost always come shortly after a major CFW/Jailbreak breakthrough is announced, and how investigation determines that the update was a patch to their methods? The only Stability these updates work on is the stability of the walled-garden.

Or in the case of the other one people have been mocking, the PS4, it's because the OS at launch was found wanting for features its predecessor and the Vita had at launch, combined with the glacial pace of OS updates in general.

MikeDip

Well, I mean, for anyone new to these threads or anyone confused by them, the reason we make fun of these stability updates lies in how...

In the 3DS's case, it's blatant lies. A million and one stability updates later, my n3DS still gets the same freezes and Kernel Panics my old 3DS was getting under the exact same circumstances years ago. Anyone take notes on how these "stability updates" almost always come shortly after a major CFW/Jailbreak breakthrough is announced, and how investigation determines that the update was a patch to their methods? The only Stability these updates work on is the stability of the walled-garden.

Or in the case of the other one people have been mocking, the PS4, it's because the OS at launch was found wanting for features its predecessor and the Vita had at launch, combined with the glacial pace of OS updates in general.

I need to counter all of this by saying: My 3ds has never tipped over. Sorry mate, my desk doesn't lie.

(And to actually respond, I don't think I actually have ever had my 3ds freeze. Never thought about that. Huh, nice, good job nintendo)

Kaleo

Neo Member
I was curious about Pocket Card Jockey. Would you say it has a "campaign" or is it an endless game ala Animal Crossing?

More akin to a "campaign", for sure... I would say, the final objective can be obtaining all the trophies and puzzle panels - raising, breeding, racing and sharing (through QR codes) many horses - and playing Solitaire on the process. There's a demo on the eShop, I strongly recommend it! I got addicted just by the demo.

And off-course, here's the Pocket Card Jockey OT.

About the update, here's what smea said:

dLAqb9L.jpg

(BTW, he means "physical memory layout" on the lower tweet.)

MikeDip

Geo keeps tempting me with that jockey game. I really do want it..

Madao

crap. looks like i'll have to put A9LH on my other 3DS if that's what's happening with this update.
i didn't want to spend 3+ hours again on this but there's no choice now. hopefully this 3DS can be downgraded without a system format.

Pokemaniac

The full list of updated modules is:
  • NATIVE_FIRM
  • Friends module
  • IR module
  • dummy.txt

Only obvious takeaway from this is that 11.0 will probably be the minimum version for online play pretty soon.

More akin to a "campaign", for sure... I would say, the final objective can be obtaining all the trophies and puzzle panels - raising, breeding, racing and sharing (through QR codes) many horses - and playing Solitaire on the process. There's a demo on the eShop, I strongly recommend it! I got addicted just by the demo.

And off-course, here's the Pocket Card Jockey OT.

About the update, here's what smea said:

dLAqb9L.jpg

(BTW, he means "physical memory layout" on the lower tweet.)

Amusingly, they seem to only actually be applying the ASLR to games with known security issues.

I just did all the downgrading this morning. If I waited just a little bit longer... if I played Overwatch just a little too much... I don't even want to think about how big of a bullet I just dodged.

The moment you do you're gonna get POUNDED by all this STABILITY, man.

More stable than the breadwinner of a white, upper-middle class nuclear family from the 1950s.

Kaleo

Neo Member
ENTHUSIASM 100!!!

zX2a5u3.jpg

(someone needs to make a gif from the entire sequence, from Enthusiasm 100 to the zoom on the horse in the flames, lol)

(ok, enough for today, I'm going to sleep soon)

On-topic again, not sure if I read it right on GBATemp, but it seems the exploit used for downgrading (svchax) was patched too with this update...?

Pokemaniac

Wow, Nintendo is really trying to kill Ninjhax. They implemented a new mechanism specifically for the purpose of stripping Cubic Ninja of network access.

I wish they would bump the streetpass limit past 10.

They've mentioned in the past that the limit for that title stays low in order to leave room for potential future expansion (Low StreetPass limit == more data can be in each tag). It's probably not impossible to raise the limit, but it sounds like it's not happening unless they're sure that nothing else will be added.

Well after the breaking of my 3DS XL hinge and a new 2DS (bye XL :( I can't afford thee.) arriving within the next couple days, is surely a sign of ultimate stability with no hinge. Nintendo is 100% fully stable now.

Smash 3DS will still kill my new circle pad...

Madao

Wow, Nintendo is really trying to kill Ninjhax. They implemented a new mechanism specifically for the purpose of stripping Cubic Ninja of network access.

They've mentioned in the past that the limit for that title stays low in order to leave room for potential future expansion (Low StreetPass limit == more data can be in each tag). It's probably not impossible to raise the limit, but it sounds like it's not happening unless they're sure that nothing else will be added.

we're so late into the 3DS's lifespan that not raising that limit seems like a waste at this point...

unless they're planning for portable NX to be able to have Streetpass and have some sort of cross compatibility with 3DS streetpasses and the expansion happens with it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Surely this had nothing to do with the fact that downgrades worked on the latest firmware, surely. Speaking of which, would it be safe to update if you're running CFW'd SysNAND???? Or maybe I should wait a bit, and there are apps that let you on the eShop without updating, so should be fine.

Somnid

Crazy, I didn't even know that address layout randomization was on the table for 3DS, let alone could be enabled 5 years after the fact.

Pokemaniac

Crazy, I didn't even know that address layout randomization was on the table for 3DS, let alone could be enabled 5 years after the fact.

The code has actually been there since January (added in version 10.4.0-29). They seem to be enabling it on an as needed basis, likely to make sure it doesn't break anything.

KingBroly

Banned

As it was explained to me a long time ago, they limit Streetpass data for tags because the more data you transfer, the longer and harder it is to Streetpass with someone.

Metroid Prime Federation force requires system stability update
that is the stability of the nervous system of Metroid fans

Top Bottom