• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS reaches 5 million sales in Japan - Breaks the record

If Nintendo can push out a mainline Pokemon title this year along with another heavy hitter or two, I could see the 3DS reaching that number.

EDIT: Did Nintendo ever give a projected release date for the 2D Mario game? A holiday release for that would be easy money.

Mainline as in Gen 6? I don't see any chance of that this year.

CTE

Biggest thing learned here is that PS3 is still under 8 million there. Would have never guessed that.

Kazerei

Banned
For comparison, the PS3 is only at approximately 7,830,550 units sold.

Remind me to link back to this thread the next time someone makes a "Where have all the Japanese console games gone?" thread.

Hey, leave PS3 alone :\

For better comparison, the Wii is only at approximately 12,264,514 units sold.

So yeah, home consoles in Japan are dead.

Congrats. the 3DS is a wonderful system. Now bring us a great turn-based strategy game like Advance Wars, Nectaris, or R-Type Tactics, and I'll be in heaven.

I'm not surprised by this.The 3DS really deserves it, the thing is more addictive than crack.I play it more than anything else and I own a shit ton of consoles.I say well done to Nintendo, the guys obviously know exactly what they are doing, I think the vita is in trouble.

Out of curiosity, what games are you playing?

Jackano

If Nintendo can push out a mainline Pokemon title this year along with another heavy hitter or two, I could see the 3DS reaching that number.

EDIT: Did Nintendo ever give a projected release date for the 2D Mario game? A holiday release for that would be easy money.

Most likely NSMB 3D is an holiday title indeed. I don't see it coming alone for the West, so, holiday 2012 will be holiday 2011 all over gain in Japan, with 3 big titles.
Fake edit: thinking while writing, the Wii U is coming so probably we will get Mario and nothing else, Japan getting MH4 too. Maybe Pokémon Grey will show up at some point.

Mainline as in Gen 6? I don't see any chance of that this year.

Mainline as in 3rd version (Like Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum). Will be announced mid-April (or RSE remakes, but I think that's less likely). Release end-of-September in Japan, March-May next year in other territories.

Hey, leave PS3 alone :\

For better comparison, the Wii is only at approximately 12,264,514 units sold.

So yeah, home consoles in Japan are dead.

Yeah, pretty much. Maybe the Wii U can help counter-act this with the controller acting as a game screen, but only if it's under 30,000 yen.

MegaByte

graph.gif

duhlines.gif

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Great sales, especially after a bit of a slow start.

Having really good software last quarter did wonders for the system (along with the price drop).

Hopefully after Vita's slow start, they'll have some releases later in the year that cater towards Japanese tastes that cause it to have a similar upward trending fate.

Seems like handhelds are the last remaining hope for Japan. The 3DS vs. PS3 numbers really are quite depressing when you look at the console market

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Forgot about the Wii U. That does put a curve on how Nintendo is going to focus their marketing this year. They're going to want to push Wii U sales, so I could see them holding back a few big 3DS titles so they blow their load all at once.

fernoca

alf717

So this mean a guaranteed redesign with the circle pro built in right? I would have one if I was making money but at this point I guess I'll just wait it out.

I really wonder if Apple will put something like StreetPass in their future iDevices. It's a really killer feature for the 3DS, except when there aren't people with 3DSs around.

Erethian

There are 3rd party games that do well on it. Tales of Xilia, for instance... I think it sold close to a million? Tales of Graces F on PS3 obliterated Graces on the Wii, too.

Xillia is at 623,151 as of mid-December 2011, though it's unlikely to add much to that total.

But yeah, the PS3 LTD might be relatively low but it's also a reasonably active userbase, so so long as you're making the right sort of game you can do well enough.

At Week #23 (Week #30 at Media-Create charts).
-Media Create chart for that week.
-Price drop was announced on July 28.
-Sales went down to 4k the following week.
-Then jumped to 196k, when the new price was effective.

For comparison...
-The Vita at Week #9 was at 566k. (latest MC chart)
-The 3DS at Week #9 was at 940k.
-3DS crossed the million units at Week #13.

wow... Vita makes 3DS look like a turd but damn Software is everything
if 3DS gets a revision this year GAME OVER Man

BigDug13

B-b-b-b-b-ut smartphones and ipads and the market has changed and social games and the price of handheld games and handhelds wont work in 2012 and nintendo is doomed and and and....
Not in Japan they haven't, most still use their flip phones. But in the U.S.?

alf717

It is selling so they would probably consider it. It looks like Capcom likes to use it a lot for their games. Just saying. It make sense plus the battery life is still low correct? My thoughts are since Monster Hunter is huge in Japan they might think it would be a good idea to just have it already built into the next model.

Box

I really hope the 3DS can sustain this meteoric rise. Nothing outside of the usual suspects has really been a breakout hit though. From the perspective of someone who thought the DS was the greatest thing to happen to portable gaming, I think the 3DS has a lot of potential but I'm still very apprehensive.

rockx4

It is selling so they would probably consider it. It looks like Capcom likes to use it a lot for their games. Just saying. It make sense plus the battery life is still low correct?

They like to use it a lot? How many games has Capcom released with circle pad support?

Takao

Banned
Not in Japan they haven't, most still use their flip phones. But in the U.S.?

Social games are incredibly popular in Japan. Hell Scamco's Idolm@ster Mobage thing has 1 million people. The video games on PSP, 360, and PS3 haven't hit 1 million.

They like to use it a lot? How many games has Capcom released with circle pad support?

Two

which is also the amount of vita games... screw you Capcom!

Top Bottom