• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo acquiring Shiver Entertainment, Switch porting studio

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Draugoth Draugoth u need to speed up boi
rccnjPM.png

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
They handled the ports of the modern Mortal Kombat games iirc. Not sure what else, but those ports were pretty good…. all things considered.

nial

Gold Member
It looks like they will still doing ports for other platforms even after the acquisition.
They do say "port and develop software for other platforms", but it probably doesn't mean much. Have they actually developed anything by their own?

Last edited:

00_Zer0

"Shiver’s focus will remain the same, continuing commissions that port and develop software for multiple platforms including Nintendo Switch.”

That little tidbit from above from the release has got me wondering if it only includes Switch, and Switch 2 titles. Or select ports of Nintendo titles that could go to PC. Even if it's only Switch or Switch 2 related, at least Nintendo now has a port house to help port the latest and greatest third party releases straight to their consoles.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

They handled the ports of the modern Mortal Kombat games iirc. Not sure what else, but those ports were pretty good…. all things considered.
Weren't those ports considered barely competent compared to past Switch ports? Especially MK1.

Why not acquire a Panic Button or Virtuous where their ports have actually been impressive?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Weren't those ports considered barely competent compared to past Switch ports? Especially MK1.

Why not acquire a Panic Button or Virtuous where their ports have actually been impressive?
maybe those aren't for sale

Hogwarts Legacy is considered an impressive port. I know Virtuous and Panic Button have good ports but they're also porting older games than Hogwarts.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Well,”Switch 2” is definitely going to be another machine that’ll get a ton of old 3rd party ports, so I can only assume this is a good purchase for Nintendo.

I would never buy MK1, Hogwarts, or most 3rd party Switch ports tbh, but the fact that they even run on the system to begin with is pretty impressive.

Power Pro

Panic Button are the real wizards when it comes to porting games to the Switch. Doom and Doom Eternal are fucking crazy that they run and look as good as they do on Switch. Mortal Kombat 11 and 1....ehhh...they may run okay, but they look like dog shit.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Interesting, guessing they will be used to port third party games to switch 2.
Lol so Nintendo is finally going third party... On their own console? That definitely suits them.

Now srsly, maybe they are thinking on porting more from the old catalog like XCX or Starfox Zero?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This was my guess as well. Then I got high, and decided that the only possible explanation is day one PC
So third parties would let Nintendo port games for them? I mean if it came with a good fee Nintendo has secured a good developers that knows how to port software efficiently, but how many third parties would use it? Companies sometimes are weird with what they can and cannot control…

Hudo

The folks at Shiver are probably over the moon about this, considering the likely alternative. To my knowledge (reinforced by some quick Google research), Nintendo has never closed or even had any major layoffs at a fully acquired subsidiary.
It certainly must feel like a massive upgrade. Just to be able to say "I work at Nintendo" instead of "I've been embraced..."

Top Bottom