• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and their fabricated hardware shortages

Haunted

Steve's got it right, the simplest and most logical conclusion is that Nintendo simply is more comfortable being conservative in their estimates than ending up overproducing and overshipping.

Everyone believing in this conspiracy theory is vastly overestimating Nintendo's strategic capability and underestimating the difficulty of gauging demand.

daxgame

Are there actually supposed to be shortages of these? I bought my PSVR a month and a half ago by walking into a Best Buy and purchasing one of the 7 units they had in stock. They had Pros in stock too but I don't recall how many.

There have been shortages at the beginning which honestly seemed absolutely normal to me (but go explain that to fellow gaffers)
There have also been shortages very recently with the PS4 Pro in Japan for example, which, btw, sells very small quantities.
Damn Sony, you mastermind bastards... !

Orbis

Are there actually supposed to be shortages of these? I bought my PSVR a month and a half ago by walking into a Best Buy and purchasing one of the 7 units they had in stock. They had Pros in stock too but I don't recall how many.
PSVR and the Move controllers have been in terribly short supply since launch in much of Europe. Which contributed to me making a profit when selling them.

Its a niche item that plays decade old games. 500k is more than anyone will expect when there are various upcoming bigger games on newer platforms.
I've tried searching to find what the previous record-holder for such devices is, and haven't had much luck. I found a mention of one of the Atari Flashbacks reaching around a million, but I don't know if that was a peak or what. At any rate, I imagine Nintendo looked at those devices as an indication of what they were going for. After two months NES Classic could be the all-time best seller in its field for all I know.

I got online to get myself a crystal blue 2DS even though I really, really dislike current Nintendo. The value proposition is just crazy with the 3DS and DS library. Come to find out that I can't even find one in stock anywhere, and definitely not with a bundled game. I can't even get a white New 3DS, which I actually want the most.

This shortage BS is highly annoying and turns me off from their products.

Top Bottom