• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Pandora's Tower for Wii

Dascu

MoogPaul said:
I feel like Nintendo has only released 2d platformers in the past 2 years for some reason. I know this is not the case, but when I try to think of games they've put out on the Wii in NA I can only come up with platformers.
SIN & PUNISHMENT 2: STAR SUCCESSOR

Xelinis

The girl is definitely rendered from a Monolith Soft graphics engine, I'll eat my hat if it isn't!

I'm skeptical about whether or not this is a Honne project; not enough color.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Xelinis said:
The girl is definitely rendered from a Monolith Soft graphics engine, I'll eat my hat if it isn't!

I'm skeptical about whether or not this is a Honne project; not enough color.

It does look like it. But there is no way Monolith Soft would get another Nintendo green lit game so soon... on the Wii. Could they even finish another large scale game so soon?

Color me interested, but I'm not at all certain that this is a RPG. A game like Fragile used an Anime art style but it wasn't a RPG for instance. It could be some sort of platforming game, or hell, even an adventure game like Another Code.

zigg

Shikamaru Ninja said:
It does look like it. But there is no way Monolith Soft would get another Nintendo green lit game so soon... on the Wii. Could they even finish another large scale game so soon?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25658165&postcount=44

Not that I'm making a call one way or the other.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Color me interested, but I'm not at all certain that this is a RPG. A game like Fragile used an Anime art style but it wasn't a RPG for instance. It could be some sort of platforming game, or hell, even an adventure game like Another Code.

Yeah, it's way too early to tell, though the art kinda screams it. Fragile did have at least a few RPG elements, though.

Hiltz

I don't believe one of Nintendo's internal development teams is solely making this kind of game on its own.

Square Enix better not be making this. It's RPGs have apparently been nothing but crap on the home console in this generation.

Monolith Soft couldn't have made this so quickly after the release of XenoBlade.

Anyway, the game seems interesting. Hopefully, it will be coming out this year.

tim1138

Hiltz said:
I don't believe one of Nintendo's internal development teams is solely making this kind of game on its own.

Square Enix better not be making this. It's RPGs have apparently been nothing but crap on the home console in this generation.

Monolith Soft couldn't have made this so quickly after the release of XenoBlade.

Anyway, the game seems interesting. Hopefully, it will be coming out this year.

Maybe people should hope its SE making this--probably the only chance it'd have to see release in NA and EU.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Hiltz said:

Well you are basing that on the character design and imagining it to be some epic JRPG? But yeah the character design looks un-Nintendo. But then again, between Sakamoto and EAD Tokyo, you never know.

But place my usual bets on Paon, Monolith Soft, etc.

Penguin

MoogPaul said:
I feel like Nintendo has only released 2d platformers in the past 2 years for some reason. I know this is not the case, but when I try to think of games they've put out on the Wii in NA I can only come up with platformers.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a 3D Platformer. :p

Wasn't Excitebots also in 2009? Punch-Out Wii was a 2009 title.

FlingSmash isn't much of a platformer/game.

Shikamaru Ninja said:

It's hard for us non JP people to tell because in the past three years a total of two Monolithsoft titles has made it to North america.

But yeah, I don't doubt it. Since they've become a part of Nintendo they've done the following:

Soma Bringer (2/28/2008)
Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga: Endless Frontier (5/29/2008)
Disaster: Day of Crisis (9/25/2008)
Dragon Ball Z: attack of the Saiyans (4/29/2009)
Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga: Endless Frontier Exceed (2/25/2010)
Xenoblade (6/10/2010)

There hasn't been a one year gap between game releases for them yet, so they're definitely due for a release before June 10th.

seady

O wow, mature game from Nintendo, Samus of the 21st century, a phenomenon that only happen once every 20 years.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Dying with beauty, or living with ugliness. Which would you be happier with
Reminds me of a short play script I read in Highschool, except it had nothing to do with RPGs and Job, and everything to do with a woman obsessed with the idea of a beautiful suicide.

I'm cautiously curious. This obviously isn't a first party effort. The use of religious quotes is most surprising.

Vinci

Danish
Hiltz said:

If SE were making this, I'm pretty sure Iwata would have mentioned that, as it would be big news.

Oxx

Nintendo need to get with the times.

Where's the Twitter hints? The announcement of an announcement? The countdown website? The Photoshopped logo?

Hiltz

These two new games have suddenly given the Wii's game lineup a much needed shot in the arm. Speaking of Excitebots, perhaps Monster Games will announce a new game this year since Excitebots was released in April 2009. Oh, wait it also made Excitebike: World Rally in late 2009/ early 2010.

Off topic, I don't know if these details were mentioned yet but Iwata stated that Skyward Sword is now entering the final stage of development but won't be released until some time after Ocarina of Time 3DS in 2011.

tim1138

Oxx said:
Nintendo need to get with the times.

Where's the Twitter hints? The announcement of an announcement? The countdown website? The Photoshopped logo?

Don't wanna raise false hopes that it'll release anywhere but JP. A "journalist" may actually take a risk and question them about leaving high profile games in JP and not releasing them in other territories.

Xelinis

Shikamaru Ninja said:

Monolith Soft is small, but not as small as you're making it out to be. This could actually wind up being Koh Arai's next game, seeing as he hasn't done anything since '08.

God I hope not.

Desi

Mockingbird said:
This is the teaser from the game that Honne's working on btw. The text is actually an advertisement saying that they're hiring staff to work on the project. I don't see a tower in it though.
that better be a UFO in that picture.

Since Nintendo haven't released any info regarding this title I guess that a Japanese magazine might have an exclusive reveal of this game, Famitsu ?

Haunted said:
Spring 2011 release and there's one generic render art up and one piece of music. No developer, no genre, no screens, no video, no nothing.

If it were a Square game with the same release date we'd have had this much info on it around 2007. And 12 different closed-theatre trailers, 7 open ones, 250 screenshots, 13 previews (2 world-exclusive), a website, a dedicated forum on the S-E website, IGN and Gametrailer skins etc. etc. in the time since then.

Scrounging around flash files and website source code to unveil shit. Fuck, it makes me so mad.

Spring 2011 is a bit close to be doing something as weak as this, but I get really sick of long development times. The only time that I really enjoyed the announcement of a game being long was Brawl, though the way they did it turned out to be more fun than the game.

But yeah, give it SOME room before you release it to get a little bit of hype, Nintendo.

Fritz

Tattoo looks like the Yuke tribe symbol from FFCC.

100px-Ffcc_yuketribesymbol.jpg

or just like any other lame tribal

-Oath

Some really out-there predictions in this thread. Idk.
Im guessing its an RPG as well but only based on the art. Could be anything.
Although I will say I HOPE its a Monolith RPG title as I very much enjoyed Xenoblade. Doubt it though.

Xelinis

I'm trying figure out who that piano piece on the site sounds like. It's certainly not Sakuraba, and Shimomura must be exhausted from Xenoblade (not to mention still being busy as all hell with Versus XIII). I want to say Mitsuda, but something about it seems off, I can't put my finger on it.

Fritz

My wild guess - just by the look of it - would be Genius Sonority.

Second guess would be a shooter rather than a RPG.

Akai

Fritz said:

Shooter as in SHMUP or FPS? Because I don't really attach the classical theme on the website to either...

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Fritz said:

Question is how enthusiastic would Nintendo be about green-lighting another JRPG for the Wii. I mean it doesn't sound logistically sound releasing high budget rpgs, that are all new ips, back to back to back in such a short concentration of time.

I think everyone assuming it is a JRPG, is downsizing the identity of the possible development team. Hopefully it is not another JRPG, but may something more inspiring and innovative.

Akai

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I think everyone assuming it is a JRPG, is downsizing the identity of the possible development team. Hopefully it is not another JRPG, but may something more inspiring and innovative.

Well I'm hoping for a straight-up Zelda-like personally. Though with all the dark Biblical references and "romantic" subtitle it's not really that surprising for people to assume it's an RPG...

zigg

Shikamaru Ninja said:

I'd hope so too, personally, but a solid slate of RPGs is not a bad idea to stock the library with before DQX hits. After (before?) players are done with DQX, they'll have other games to check out.

Shirokun

Xelinis said:
I'm trying figure out who that piano piece on the site sounds like. It's certainly not Sakuraba, and Shimomura must be exhausted from Xenoblade (not to mention still being busy as all hell with Versus XIII). I want to say Mitsuda, but something about it seems off, I can't put my finger on it.

I doesn't sound unlike something Mitsuda might do, but it's hard to tell with such a small snippet of music.

Fritz

Akai said:
Shooter as in SHMUP or FPS? Because I don't really attach the classical theme on the website to either...

I was going for shmup. As we all know Japanese shmups can be pretty out there.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Question is how enthusiastic would Nintendo be about green-lighting another JRPG for the Wii. I mean it doesn't sound logistically sound releasing high budget rpgs, that are all new ips, back to back to back in such a short concentration of time.

New IPs are the only way to go for Nintendo when they want to build a decent RPG library on their console. But yeah, just because there is a anime girl and piano music doesn't have to mean anything in that regard

MegaByte

Did the original SWF get replaced? I don't see that Job text graphic in the current version (after decompiling).

wsippel

Banned
Don't exactly know why, but thinking about it some more, I wouldn't be all that surprised if this game was developed by Grasshopper, actually. Maybe because of the "unannounced game with a damn sexy heroine" hint they gave on a recent podcast and the fact that they've already worked with Nintendo in the past. It's either Grasshopper or Matsuno - or both. Obvious choices are boring. ;)

Top Bottom