• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Pandora's Tower for Wii

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Wouldn't Steel Diver and Miyamoto being linked to that game, somehow squash any other water game.
That game have been in development for a long time. And on top of that I don't think it's his "new character" game. That game is supposed to be like his baby and IDK how much he is connected to SD but it doesn't seem like his baby nor a new character driven IP.

Fond the quote
""For Nintendogs, which we announced at E3, cats will appear this time. Recently, I've been taking care of cats. I'm often asked about my interests, but the CEO has told me to if possible not speak about this as the theme of my next game would be known externally. About one year back, I started talking about cats, and right according to schedule, it was announced. We'll soon be completing Nintendogs + Cats, which features cats.

Also, I'm still full of energy. Recently, I've been doing a lot of things -- continuing to work hard at swimming, for instance, and also having exchanges with school kids, doing such things a serving on a neighborhood youth guidance committee. I think that next year I can probably deliver something new. I'm still active on the development scene, so please look forward to [my output]. It's been nearly 10 years since I made the Pikmin character, so I feel this is the year where I must at long last make a new character. This is as far as I'll answer today.""

Big One

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I'm getting a slight hint of a Twiilght Princess vibe from this artwork. I'm starting to think that this is made by EAD working together with another studio. Since Aonuma isn't directing Skyward Sword maybe he and part of his team set out to create a new IP?
I encourage hopeful thinking but...very doubtful. Would be cool to see a new IP directed by Aonuma, though, I guess.

Aonuma has gone on record to saying that he's always coming up with new characters and whatnot that always end up in Zelda somehow due to his attachment to the series, but I don't think this girl is similar to the kind of characters Aonuma creates. Aonuma isn't really the one to make full-blown emo characters and use Book of Job passages.

[Nintex] said:
I'm getting a slight hint of a Twiilght Princess vibe from this artwork. I'm starting to think that this is made by EAD working together with another studio. Since Aonuma isn't directing Skyward Sword maybe he and part of his team set out to create a new IP?
I agree.

The fact that he is playing the same type of role as Miyamoto who STILL gets to get down and dirty with other series even though he is attached to so many projects makes me thing he could be doing another series.

Here are both of Honne's art pieces for reference without page digging:

609developpeurs20101222_045059_0_big.jpg
vol03_img_3_1.jpg

Thank you Mockingbird and Big One for the find. :)

Edit: I see a person in the UFO art, at the edge of that cliff!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If it's really an original effort from Honne I'm gonna be mad if Nintendo's treating his next game as another throw away title with no advertising! >_<

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Black-Wind said:
I agree.

The fact that he is playing the same type of role as Miyamoto who STILL gets to get down and dirty with other series even though he is attached to so many projects makes me thing he could be doing another series.

The roles aren't the same per say. Miyamoto often serves as the General Producer, more of a supervisory as he is the manager of the entire EAD division. Basically he green lights if he will allow an idea / project, and how many people within that staff work on it.

Aonuma who is the Manager of EAD Group No.3. Is the manager of that sublet of developers working on the projects he is in charge of. Currently Aonuma has Skyward Swords and Ocarina of Time 3DS. Both releasing this year. The dude is not getting any sleep.

Miyamoto is working 24/7 on general Nintendo business (Board of Director) and EAD business ( all EAD games, EAD General Manager). Aonuma is working 24/7 on both Zelda games. The respective directors, are working 24/7 on each specific game.

Logic with respect to time goes to show who is more involved in what. People are transfixing the Aonuma name to Director, as to him being relieved of some duty. Infact, he was promoted along time ago. Makes a different salary, carries a different hierarchy. You have to let his younger planning staff get the recognition of being "Zelda" directors as well. Only fair.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
So, not to be a nerrrrrd but...

Pandora's role in Greek mythology is that she was the first woman, and she opened the jar that contained all the evils of mankind because she was curious as to what was in it.

And then there's quotes from the Christian Bible.

... why bother mixing the symbolism? Christianity has Eve, who serves the exact same role as Pandora.
Both are likely pretty foreign to the Japanese, I bet you they just shrug it off and go "Whats the difference? They are both just old western folklore."

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Logic with respect to time goes to show who is more involved in what. People are transfixing the Aonuma name to Director, as to him being relieved of some duty. Infact, he was promoted along time ago. Makes a different salary, carries a different hierarchy. You have to let his younger planning staff get the recognition of being "Zelda" directors as well. Only fair.
Unfortunately this is GAF, and only a handful of us old souls care about the people who make the games because the credits are usually the first measure of expected quality.

Did some digging around in the interviews Monolith posted...

We already know Honne is making a new game, but also Nomura/Hagiwara (Disaster/Xenosaga) from Monolith are working on a new game too. This is the newest interview from 1/17.

Sort of crappy JP translation...

Sugiura: So finally, now, Can you speak or talk in the range of what these projects are underway.

Nomura: Maybe, but I think it's together Hagiwara. I've become a new project, only say (laughs).

Hagiwara: Yeah (laughs). Well, the new project is to conduct a new trial.

Sugiura: More (laughs).

Nomura: Hmm.
I'd say more, it also quite happy doing that. If you look at everyone, Wow I think it will, challenge, and surprise.

Before, but I honestly say it steadily,Inside, about what you are doing really interesting or rather, what is known as a flashy flashy new feeling.

Hagiwara: Secret secret but I'm sorry, 're Doing something we all expect of you so sure.

Sugiura: I'm very actively working on the staff of both businesses. Even the homepage just Careers I issued a notice of We are looking for new project staff. In this application, have a few games industry troll I would like to come to those veterans, If you want to work with this, do you, that is.

So maybe this is their game, instead of Honne's. Who knows. Maybe since this is Cero C in Japan, it could be surprising.

Bel Marduk said:
Did some digging around in the interviews Monolith posted...

We already know Honne is making a new game, but also Nomura/Hagiwara (Disaster/Xenosaga) from Monolith are working on a new game too. This is the newest interview from 1/17.

Sort of crappy JP translation...

So maybe this is their game, instead of Honne's. Who knows. Maybe since this is Cero C in Japan, it could be surprising.

What if all are working on this?

And could someone who's fluent in Japanese please translate the interview when possible? :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Action game please. No more JRPGs.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The roles aren't the same per say. Miyamoto often serves as the General Producer, more of a supervisory as he is the manager of the entire EAD division. Basically he green lights if he will allow an idea / project, and how many people within that staff work on it.

Aonuma who is the Manager of EAD Group No.3. Is the manager of that sublet of developers working on the projects he is in charge of. Currently Aonuma has Skyward Swords and Ocarina of Time 3DS. Both releasing this year. The dude is not getting any sleep.
Last I remember hearing Miyamoto has been working really closely on SS and Aonuma was also playing a role much like Miyamoto's while someone else was directing. And as Miyamoto is a supervisory producer I assumed he would play the same role but IDK where I read that so w/e.'

I think this could be Miyamoto's swimming game myself.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Akai said:
Well if it's MonolithSoft then you might get something ARPG-ish like Disaster or Soma Bringer. Is that good enough?

Good enough for me.

apana

I really want a new Miyamoto mermaid IP but this looks more along the lines of a JRPG unfortunately. I'm just surprised how quickly Monolith Soft got this done if it is them. Does Nintendo have a soft spot for Monolith Soft or do these games cost pennies to make?

EatChildren

Nirolak said:
Judging by the gameplay videos, The Last Story is much more of an action game than what people tend to think of as a JRPG.

True that.

Granted, the only reason I dont want it to be a JPRG is some foolish hope that we'll have a better chance of getting it if it's something else. I really want both Xenoblade and The Last Story, but they're in localisation limbo.

Plus, with both Xenoblade and The Last Story, I dont really think Nintendo needs another exclusive JRPG.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Black-Wind said:
Last I remember hearing Miyamoto has been working really closely on SS and Aonuma was also playing a role much like Miyamoto's while someone else was directing. And as Miyamoto is a supervisory producer I assumed he would play the same role but IDK where I read that so w/e.'

I think this could be Miyamoto's swimming game myself.

The Zelda team is incredibly huge. I think without a doubt, Mr. Aonuma manages the most amount of people in his group. It is probably like 35% of the entire EAD division in his section. You have Aonuma as the producer, 2 teams (console and hand held), and a large planning staff who seem to take turn being directors, and a HUGE development group.

I think Mr. Miyamoto often indicates that he spends more of his time working on the big Mario and Zelda games in comparison to some of the other EAD games were he plays his supervisory role a little more casually. But it still doesn't compare to the dedication of Aonuma or the individual game directors and planning staff. Those people are really the heart of Zelda.

EatChildren

RPGCrazied said:
Why? Unless you live in Japan or know Japanese, you won't be playing it anyway?

Well, yeah, that. I want more Wii games from Nintendo. I want Xenoblade and The Last Story, both of which look excellent, and niether have been officially confirmed for localisation.

I'd rather get the two JRPGs Nintendo already have finished, and something else out of Pandora's Tower.

WillyFive

EatChildren said:
Well, yeah, that. I want more Wii games from Nintendo. I want Xenoblade and The Last Story, both of which look excellent, and niether have been officially confirmed for localisation.

I'd rather get the two JRPGs Nintendo already have finished, and something else out of Pandora's Tower.

People have been complaining about the lack of console JRPG's this gen, it would be a market Nintendo can take without opposition. If they bother doing it, of course.

I'm hoping this is like Other M promo wise.

As in, even though it looks all emotional and what not its still not a JRPG. Cause with what lil we know thats all thats making it look like a RPG at this point.

sfried

Drkirby said:
Both are likely pretty foreign to the Japanese, I bet you they just shrug it off and go "Whats the difference? They are both just old western folklore."
Eh, but Christianity is a branch of Judaism which is actually eastern in origin.

Nintendo is so annoying. This game is supposed to be released in the spring and we still don't know the developer, or even the genre. What are they hoping to achieve with this kind of marketing?

Poyunch

Neon_Icarus said:
Nintendo is so annoying. This game is supposed to be released in the spring and we still don't know the developer, or even the genre. What are they hoping to achieve with this kind of marketing?
Prevention of overhype.

Instro

Yeah I'm all for prevention of over hype, but lets be honest that's only really needed for games like Zelda or something not a new IP.

Lijik

Neon_Icarus said:
MYSTERY
INTRIGUE
AND A MURDER MOST FOUL

Azure J

Neon_Icarus said:

Honestly, at the same time I agree, this works inversely on myself as I see this and start thinking about all the wild (but not as wild as others thoughts -- see Miyamoto mermaid IP) possibilities for the game and get all excite.

I just hide it well. :p

sfried said:
Eh, but Christianity is a branch of Judaism which is actually eastern in origin.

Christianity originated in around the same area along with Islam, but in relation to Japan the middle east is still "western."

AzureJericho said:
Honestly, at the same time I agree, this works inversely on myself as I see this and start thinking about all the wild (but not as wild as others thoughts -- see Miyamoto mermaid IP) possibilities for the game and get all excite.

I know. I can't help it either. :(

Effect

Willy105 said:
People have been complaining about the lack of console JRPG's this gen, it would be a market Nintendo can take without opposition. If they bother doing it, of course.

I don't fault them either for having them. No one else has bothered to put decent and solid RPGs on the system outside of Arc Rise Fantasia and Opoona both of which were questionable.

Clott

Looks like the combat is pretty well done, sure it's not as smooth as the action games state side, but if they can introduce enough variety I can see it being pretty fun.

Boerseun

Banned
EatChildren said:

I would like every Wii game ever to come out everywhere. Cash isn't an issue for Nintendo, so why they don't do it is beyond me.

Boerseun said:
I would like every Wii game ever to come out everywhere. Cash isn't an issue for Nintendo, so why they don't do it is beyond me.
If they spent money all the ways we wanted, they probably wouldn't be in the position where cash isn't an issue.

Effect

JoshuaJSlone said:
If they spent money all the ways we wanted, they probably wouldn't be in the position where cash isn't an issue.

True. However just makes no sense to spend the money they did on games like Xenoblade and The Last Story and not release them or wait so long to the point that interest actually fades. Nintendo should have stayed in GameCube game development mode, the mode they seemed to be in going into 2010. Where they accepted third parties weren't going to release anything significant and knew they had to do it themselves for the most part. That looked like the direction they were going in during 2010 and it was great as a Wii gamer. There are still games I haven't gotten to (bought but still in the package) due to still being busy with others from last year. I don't mind a backlog to be honest. They should have been better prepared I think for 2011.

farnham

Banned
scans are out

officially its called an ARPG
Nirolak said:
Judging by the gameplay videos, The Last Story is much more of an action game than what people tend to think of as a JRPG.
yup last storys gameplay is gears of war like in some instances

but with magic and swords!

Top Bottom