• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces the New 3DS XL for North America to be released February 13

my eyes really suck at 32 and my 5 yr old has astigmatism so we wanted the XL

heard the PPI for the regular is better but I was after the XL anyway

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how limited the regular red and black XL's will be? I'm hoping I can just go to Best Buy on release day and pick up a red one.

IDK. I know with the Gamestop online thing, when the clerk checked they still had Black available to preorder, but no red ones.

BestBuy.com shows both still available to preorder. So it will probably just depend how many your local store gets and how many preorders they have.

Look at what I couldn't buy today!

N7bdWUy.jpg

LaneDS

Do I have any chance of walking into a GameStop on Friday and grabbing a MH4 New 3DS XL without a preorder?

Not too up on this, but I think that one was only something you could order in-store to have shipped to your home... so not good, would be my guess.

j-wood

Does anyone know if you can still pre-order at gamestop?

I'm thinking of doing their trade in deal and upgrading my 3dsxl to the new one. Do you think they will let me do a system transfer before taking my 3dsxl?

LaneDS

So what do we know about preordering in store for best buy? I dont wanna take the chance of not getting it on Friday.

I walked into Best Buy earlier today and was able to preorder for Friday with $25 down. They weren't very confident with their stock numbers though, so keep that in mind.

I walked into Best Buy earlier today and was able to preorder for Friday with $25 down. They weren't very confident with their stock numbers though, so keep that in mind.

Crap. Wonder if I show up at release what it will be like. Its a good 30 minute drive to Best Buy.

LaneDS

Was that for a Majora's Mask version?

Just a black one.

Crap. Wonder if I show up at release what it will be like. Its a good 30 minute drive to Best Buy.

Might want to call ahead of time, just in case. Guy ringing me out was (oddly) surprised he was able to do the preorder, saying a guy a few days prior tried to preorder one and couldn't. Didn't do anything special outside of print out a slip from one of their automated preorder systems.

Do I have any chance of walking into a GameStop on Friday and grabbing a MH4 New 3DS XL without a preorder?

As far as I can tell, the bundle is online only. You couldn't even have it shipped to the store and pick it up in the store on Friday, and it has to be sent to your house.

You could call and ask your local GS to double check though.

So Target will have some MM consoles on Friday for sale?

From what I've read online, yes. Very, very limited quantities though (apparently only 1-4 in-store). If you really want one on Friday, I may consider going to Target a little bit before it opens and just wait outside since you may not be the only one with that plan.

What is the reason for Amazon not having the "New"3DS up for preorder?

I always buy my videogames needs from them. I refuse to give business to gamestop, and target and bestbuy are really far away.

KevinG

I always buy my videogames needs from them. I refuse to give business to gamestop, and target and bestbuy are really far away.

You won't find a clear cut answer.

Nintendo and Amazon don't get along, therefore you won't see hardware sold directly by Amazon.

LaneDS

Nintendo and Amazon have a long standing history of not getting along for whatever reason. Amazon is about the worst retailer you could buy Nintendo products from.

Called a local Gamestop to see if they're still taking preorders for the non-LE versions and they're not.

evanmisha

Rumor is that Amazon and Nintendo ran into some disagreement in regards to the 3DS hinge problem. Many of Amazon's customers were making returns over the hinge issue. Nintendo refuse to admit there is a problem with hinge and Amazon decided instead of taking a lost on all those return 3DS that Nintendo refuse to solve, they simply stop selling 3DS all together.

The persistent rumor

Ellite25

It's so dumb how companies have the systems and just can't sell them. I mean they have them on the shelf, what should Nintendo care if they sold some already?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone knows the answer to this question I'd appreciate it.

Are the back screws on the New 3DS XL the same as those on previous Nintendo handhelds (i.e. GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, 3DS XL)?

I have a screw driver that can unscrew those ones, but I'm just wondering if the N3DS uses the same type. If so then I'll be good to go on Friday. Otherwise, a trip to the hardware store...

I'm assuming the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate bundle is out of the question. What are my options for buying a new 3ds XL this Friday?

1) Go to Target EARLY and see if you can snag a Majora's Mask edition. YMMV with your store location and stock, but everything I've read is that there's < 5 units, if any per store.

2) Get a regular n3DXL in black or red. Try Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, Walmart and Toys R Us.

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
Are we getting the charging docks in NA for the n3DS XL? Interested in pricing and available colors. But I can't find any info anywhere.

Draxal

Speculation has it to deal with all the hinge issues with original 3ds and the amount of returns based on that.

1) Go to Target EARLY and see if you can snag a Majora's Mask edition. YMMV with your store location and stock, but everything I've read is that there's < 5 units, if any per store.

2) Get a regular n3DXL in black or red. Try Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, Walmart and Toys R Us.

I don't mind the color. Mostly concerned about availability. I know GameStop has their preorders filled so no point in going there, but I might try Target/Best Buy since there's a mall with both stores. Thanks for answering. :)

SRTtoZ

Dat Red is so sexy, so glad I stuck with it.

Is there an "official" 3DS XL case? All of the ones I see are silly nerf armor or something too big, bad material etc. How come there isnt a case like the official 2DS case made by Nintendo? That thing is quality as fuck, and very simple.

Edzi

Does anyone know of a 3DS XL case that will for sure fit the New 3DS XL WITH the Hori duriflexi cover on? I know most XL cases will work on the bare New 3DS, but I'm not sure if the clear case will make it slightly too big to fit in most regular XL cases.

It's so dumb how companies have the systems and just can't sell them. I mean they have them on the shelf, what should Nintendo care if they sold some already?

Because companies want to make sure all stores have them in-stock before they can claim they are available. Same reason games, movies and music all have street dates.

Can you add in the op the best games for 3ds everyone should own? This is my first 3ds.

Top-tier:
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

More Great Games:
Animal Crossing New Leaf
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
Pokemon X or Y
Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Saphire
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 7

Deadstar

Top-tier:
Fire Emblem Awakening
Super Mario 3D Land

More Great Games:
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Pokemon X or Y
Pokemon Omega Ruby or Alpha Saphire
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 7

Noted! Thanks! I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Top-tier:
Fire Emblem Awakening
Super Mario 3D Land
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

More Great Games:
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Pokemon X or Y