• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo apologize about stock shortage, more shipment in july + august

Dr. Worm

Banned
13.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
Every hardware has the production ramped up in fall... I expect the production to peak at 2 million in November to reach the 10m forecast.

Here is the text via Google Translate:

"Thank you very much for your continued patronage of our products.
The "Nintendo Switch main unit" which we released on March 3, 2017 has continued to be in short supply in the entire domestic market since its launch. We apologize sincerely apologize to our customers and dealers for their inconvenience.
Currently, we continue to ship every week, we are working to deliver more than one product to customers. Also, in July and August, we will increase shipment volume this month, including continued shipment of "Nintendo Switch Splatoon 2 set".
For autumn and beyond, we will continue to work to ensure that as many products as possible can be delivered to our customers towards the end of the year, such as further strengthening our production system, we appreciate your understanding."

I know this is just a Google translated text, buti It sounds domestic to me. Maybe someone can give a more precise translation of the full text.

Still more Japanese units could very well mean more units elsewhere also, even if they were referring to Japan with that specific statement.

AngryMoth

Had an amazon order arriving next week but I'm going on a 2 week diving holiday today with no internet access. Got super lucky and checked game.co.uk the day they were restocked and so I'll have Zelda and Mario Kart to keep me entertained during the downtime.

Damn I really hope I can come up with the cash and or trade credit in time for Splatoon 2 launch. It looks like the perfect multiplayer game.

antonz

It's easy to blame Apple but it ignores the realities.
NCL decided on a very conservative production schedule due to the Wii U.

2 million were delivered across the world for the supply chain. Seeing demand was much higher they then airlifted what would have been shipments in April and May to be there day 1. So the months after Launch have been impacted by the rushed delivery for launch.
Now Nintendo needing to adjust production upwards is running into a problem of heavy competition for components that they could have locked up earlier if they had been more risky with initial production.

As for Domestic or otherwise. NCL is speaking to its market. NOA and NOE would speak to theirs but supply chains are universal. US and JP are severely understocked as we can see clearly with Sales. Europe seems to be going at a steady pace but I cant say if they are as bad as the other 2 regions. In the end everything comes down to that original production estimate

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

2 million were delivered across the world for the supply chain. Seeing demand was much higher they then airlifted what would have been shipments in April and May to be there day 1. So the months after Launch have been impacted by the rushed delivery for launch.
Now Nintendo needing to adjust production upwards is running into a problem of heavy competition for components that they could have locked up earlier if they had been more risky with initial production.

As for Domestic or otherwise. NCL is speaking to its market. NOA and NOE would speak to theirs but supply chains are universal. US and JP are severely understocked as we can see clearly with Sales. Europe seems to be going at a steady pace but I cant say if they are as bad as the other 2 regions. In the end everything comes down to that original production estimate

The original productions estimate is fine. You don't go hand over fist on a product you know will sell, but not how well it will. It also launched in the slowest sales time period of the year for video games.

The issue is that Nintendo just doesn't have the bandwith to compete with companies like Apple et al for components. It is literally impossible for them to play on that level.

So they are stuck fighting for scraps while they wait for the big boys to wrap down their productions/more foundries to open up and more components getting produced.

NimbusD

I mean. Can you blame them? I don't think anyone is blaming apple in the sense that they're doing a BAD thing, neither did nintendo do a BAD thing. It's just what the situation is.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm gonna go ahead and assume they mainly meant this for Japan, but since all of their hardware is manufactured out of Japan for worldwide it applies to everyone worldwide.

Japan isn't the only one buying Splatoon 2 ya'know :p

I haven't seen Switches available at Amazon.com since MK8D came out in early May. I want to buy one, Nintendo, but you wont let me! And no I won't pay scalper prices.

Zedark

Based on early rumors of Nintendo having a very conservative production of like 4-5 million planned I think there is truth to that. Based on US/JP sales there is no way the Switch is being made in quantities larger than 400-500k a month right now unless they are stockpiling obscene amounts.

So if they are only achieving between 400-500K they need to be reaching at least double that production to start having decent inventory on a monthly basis and that doesn't even take into account the need to holiday stockpile.
It's not quite that simple I think. The rumours of Nintendo ramping up production also mean that the factories have to be reorganised, which means that temporarily fewer production lines are available, and could explain why May only saw 500k units. Also, I think they are stockpiling to some extent, with Splatoon 2 bundles, as well as the Monster Hunter XX bundle, being readied for July and August, so that may have taken a portion of production as well.

Fall is also the time when demand also ramps up considerably goes up. That cheeky Nintendo and thier artificial demand.

More seriously though, I suggest getting a Switch now if you are planning on ING of getting one and have disposable income. This holiday is going to be a bloodbath.

This is definitely only meant to be aimed at Japanese consumers, in case anyone was still unsure. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if they make a similar announcement for other regions in the next day or so.)

Vinnk

Seems like they're timing the hardware restocks to coincide with first-party releases.

Well Arms got a very small bump (15k) in it's release week but if there were indeed trying to get them out for their first party games it would have been more significant than that. I don't think they are holding any systems back other than the ones earmarked for bundles.

And I like your user name. TMBG reference?

Paasei

I can embrace my Switch later this day. Makes me quite excited for it to finally arrive after a long time of thinking wether I'd want one yes or no. Decided to get Zelda and Mario Kart 8 with it.
First time after the original Nintendo DS that I'm getting a Nintendo console/handheld again.

I've missed you Nintendo.

Lelou

The situation have to get better.

Did someone know how much big splatoon 2 will be in japan?
I remember that the first one was really popular

Were you Amazon Prime member? The prime only deal was how I bought mine, no hazzle
You mean that same time I was referring to? Because back in early May which was the last time I saw Amazon having Switches they were being sold to Prime members only. Is that what you're talking about?

Back then was when I bought a Switch but on its way to me it was misplaced! Amazon reimbursed me for that switch and now I'm hunting for one especially since all the peripherals (Pro controller, screen protector, case) and games (Zelda and Bomberman) are already here.

ggx2ac

The situation as to get better.

It's on track to have a much bigger debut than the 150k first week sales of the first game.

They are clearly stockpiling or how else do you get "larger shipments in July and August" while "increasing production in the Fall."

Zedark

The situation as to get better.

Take a look at this: http://www.comgnet.com/ranking/

You can see Splatoon 2 is at the top with 699 points, and DQXI adds up to just 59 points more than Splatoon 2, so Splatoon 2 preorders are about as large as the DQXI preorders (do apply a grain of salt: this is one relatively small retailer, but you can determine some general trends with a reasonable degree of accuracy). DQXI is a 3-4 million selling series in Japan, and is much more frontloaded than Splatoon was. So, the signs are there that Splatoon 2 is going to take Japan by storm, and an estimate of 3 million lifetime in Japan feels like a no-brainer (and could maybe happen this year if the stock is massively increased to the degree reported by WSJ and the Financial times, though it's not very likely), and 4-5 million lifetime should be possible bar some unfortunate disaster for Switch.

Lelou

It's on track to have a much bigger debut than the 150k first week sales of the first game.

With a million console in japan, i suppose that the lunch week could be potentially 200k-350k

But i suppose it will depends a lot by the bundles and the stock situation

Take a look at this: http://www.comgnet.com/ranking/

You can see Splatoon 2 is at the top with 699 points, and DQXI adds up to just 59 points more than Splatoon 2, so Splatoon 2 preorders are about as large as the DQXI preorders (do apply a grain of salt: this is one relatively small retailer, but you can determine some general trends with a reasonable degree of accuracy). DQXI is a 3-4 million selling series in Japan, and is much more frontloaded than Splatoon was. So, the signs are there that Splatoon 2 is going to take Japan by storm, and an estimate of 3 million lifetime in Japan feels like a no-brainer (and could maybe happen this year if the stock is massively increased to the degree reported by WSJ and the Financial times, though it's not very likely), and 4-5 million lifetime should be possible bar some unfortunate disaster for Switch.

3 millions is really huge..

Zedark

With a million console in japan, i suppose that the lunch week could be potentially 200k-350k

But i suppose it will depends a lot by the bundles and the stock situation

I think it'll debut much higher than 200-350k, possibly 700k or higher. Splatoon 2 is really all the hype in Japan, a real cultural phenomenon, and by the time it launches there will be closer to 1.4 million console out (a portion of which are sold with Splatoon 2 in a special bundle).

3 millions is really huge..

True, but Splatoon is really huge in Japan: just consider that Splatoon sold 1.7 million on a 3.3 million install base on the Wii U. Switch is going to surpass that multiple times, and Splatoon 2 will be a lot larger than the original Splatoon was.

Lelou

Do we know how many Switch consoles they've sold so far? I'm guessing around 4.5 million but we'll learn soon enough, right? When's their shareholder conference thing?

We don't have all the data.

Japan is almost 1 million
France 250k+
England more than 80k (only lunch week numbers)
USA more than 400k

I think it'll debut much higher than 200-350k, possibly 700k or higher. Splatoon 2 is really all the hype in Japan, a real cultural phenomenon, and by the time it launches there will be closer to 1.4 million console out (a portion of which are sold with Splatoon 2 in a special bundle).

True, but Splatoon is really huge in Japan: just consider that Splatoon sold 1.7 million on a 3.3 million install base on the Wii U. Switch is going to surpass that multiple times, and Splatoon 2 will be a lot larger than the original Splatoon was.

Wow i know that is a great ip but i really don't get this cultural phenomenon.
I hope the best for the lunch week then

Zedark

Do we know how many Switch consoles they've sold so far? I'm guessing around 4.5 million but we'll learn soon enough, right? When's their shareholder conference thing?

Their earnings release is July 26th. That's when we get an update on the Switch systems sold.

France 250k+
USA more than 400k

Just check the official Japanese twitter account. That thing consistently gets so many likes and whatnot. Doesn't mean it will translate to sales, but it shows that it's a popular game

J@hranimo

Banned
Splatoon 2 launch is gonna be massive. With the right amount of stock + launching this early in the Switch's life? Sheesh it's gonna have all the legs.

ramparter

Banned
I suspect it has to do with it being 3rd person - japanese arent that fond of 1st person shooters - and having a colorful and kind of teenage western aesthetic, but I don't know much about Japanese culture (I'm not an expert).

Haunted

I didn't know there was such a shortage, guess I was in the European (German?) bubble where they have been widely available online and offline since very shortly after launch.

crazy

sphinx

the piano man
I didn't know there was such a shortage, guess I was in the European (German?) bubble where they have been widely available online and offline since very shortly after launch.

crazy

yeah just like you, I used to think it was widely available here in Germany because I happened to see switches in a Saturn. Once I started to check for stock every 5 or 6 days in stores I noticed they'd sell out and be gone for days before a restock happened.

so while it can be found with a bit of searching, pretty sure it isn't widely available,

(talking retail here)

noshten

As I've pointed out in the Japanese Sales threads - my expectations for Splatoon in Japan are pretty hefty. It's a game that sold nearly 2 million copies in Japan on the Wii U, it moved MK8 Bundles(May to September), SMM Bundles(September to March) before getting it's own bundle in March 2016. During the biggest sales month(December) - Splatoon a non-bundled game had as much sales as the Wii U, pretty much all of Wii U's new owners who were buying the SMM bundle would also pick up Splatoon.

The game exploded in terms of popularity but was held back by the diminishing Wii U stock and a lack of new games. Despite this it was still in the top 10 most bought games in Japan for 2016 even as Wii U sold a 292.546 compared to 877.082 in 2015.

It remains the biggest draw on social media as the Splatoon Japanese Twitter accounts has more engagement than Nintendo's official twitter account. Youtube and Niconico continue to get thousands of videos uploaded each month even as Splatoon didn't have Spectator mode and wasn't as easy to follow as the sequel. The cross marketing Nintendo has done via tournaments, concerts, music and merchandise has ensured they have capitalized on Splatoon even as Wii U faded in Japan.

Nintendo themselves are making a big push for the game to become the first major eSport in Japan and have planned to update the game for the foreseeable future. As a major incentive for their paid subscription service in 2018 - Splatoon 2 is going to be pushed hard, yet it remains accessible due to the LAN options so kids can enjoy it without having an online sub.

Couple Switch's portability with a game like Splatoon and I'm expecting it to blow up in Japan in a similar way to YW2. I don't really see a situation where Splatoon 2 doesnt' continue to sell as the Switch passes 5, 10 or 20 million units in Japan. That's one of the reasons I think it will easily pass 5 million LTD before 2018 is over and become the highest selling game on the Switch in it's lifetime in Japan.

Rodolink

Im thinking n getting a Switch until holidays hopefully in a Mario Odyssey + red Joy Cons bundle, I hope they make enough for demand...

ramparter

Banned

France 250k+
USA more than 400k

Those USA numbers are really off. We know it sold more than 906K in March and more than 280K in April
http://www.comingsoon.net/games/news/837821-nintendo-switch-sales-surpass-906000-units-in-march
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1376466

I haven't seen Switches available at Amazon.com since MK8D came out in early May. I want to buy one, Nintendo, but you wont let me! And no I won't pay scalper prices.

Call your local retailers frequently. They don't seem to last long but I've seen a couple units at both Wal Mart and GameStop in the last week.

Ryuuga

Banned
Glad to hear this because it'll be less of a hassle to get one. Also I want to see how Switch sells when it's available in abundance.

Shiggy

crazy

While they are easily available at Saturn/Media Markt (even online), other retailers don't seem to get a very big stock allocation. Saturn/Media Market is the biggest electronics retailer in Germany, so it does make sense.

Amazon.de isn't the only retailer in Germany, and they seem to get far less supply.

Top Bottom