• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo are on something.

Said the same thing after Father's Day when my 79 year-old grandmother started playing with Brain Training and started telling everyone that she wanted one of those little "brain machines" for Christmas.

Razoric

Banned
same here

i know at least three 40+ adults who would never, ever touch a game controller looking into getting DSLite with Brain Age. :lol

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
my mom got a brain age of 78 and got pissed and never touched it again I GUESS NINTENDO FAILED WITH HER

Nintendo needs to have Brain Training 2 ready for the fall. And maybe Common Sense Training as well. My mom already bought a DS Phat and now she wants a lite because she plays on it so regularly. The only game she would touch before this was Bejeweled or similar casual games (Like Zuma, etc).

Jeff-DSA

I got both of my parents to join in with my wife and I in Big Brain Academy multiplayer. It was awesome playing with 4 players, but it was even more awesome playing with two total non-gamers that were having a great time.

pdk27

My mother called me the other day (50) asking me about the DS and Brain Training. I let them play it for a hour the last time I saw them and now she wants to get one for my father for his birthday (51).

I think we knew Nintendo were on to something when Sony attempted and failed to copy the Wiimote.

And yes! The Sony-biased mods have changed the thread title to suit their ocd needs! And I will probably get banned for saying it!

thefro

evilromero said:
Nintendo needs to have Brain Training 2 ready for the fall. And maybe Common Sense Training as well. My mom already bought a DS Phat and now she wants a lite because she plays on it so regularly. The only game she would touch before this was Bejeweled or similar casual games (Like Zuma, etc).

Brain Training 2 = Big Brain Academy and already out

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Said this already but im buying my father a dsl+BT for his 50th. Kinda feels like a reversal of every birthday I ever had growing up.

Jeff-DSA

TheKingsCrown said:
I think we knew Nintendo were on to something when Sony attempted and failed to copy the Wiimote.

And yes! The Sony-biased mods have changed the thread title to suit their ocd needs! And I will probably get banned for saying it!

It's obvious that Nintendo is on something wacky though. As awesome as they are, they do some pretty weird things. Wii, dude. Wii.

DSN2K said:
my mother of 51 years asked me about the DS and Brain Training today! :lol

non gamers FTW!.

I love that game! When I started my brain age was 58!! NOOOOO

After some healthy "training" I am down to 46. I need to get to 20!! :D

Juice

You sure you don't mean "Nintendo are on to something"

I mean, sure, if the OP's content was "they named it WII" would have made sense with the existing title, but I doubt that's what you meant.

Razoric

Banned
Juice said:
You sure you don't mean "Nintendo are on to something"

I mean, sure, if the OP's content was "they named it WII" would have made sense with the existing title, but I doubt that's what you meant.

A mod changed the thread title. It originally did say "on to something".

donny2112

thefro said:
Brain Training 2 = Big Brain Academy and already out

Wrong.

Brain Training 2 = Brain Training 2 (~2.6 million vs. Brain Training 1, ~2.4 million))

Big Brain Academy = Gentle Brain Training (~1.2 million)

donny2112

Razoric said:
for those who've played Brain Training 2, how is it different than BT1? Just more types of games?

I would assume so, but I haven't played it. Jonnyram has said that the "extra" game in it for the Japanese release was Dr. Mario, though. :D

TiVo

IMO Nintendo should:

1. Have a MTV special to hype the Nintendo World Store in NY. An MTV studio and simulcast from the store.

2. Have Miyamoto and Reggie as guests. Introduce Reggie as new President of NOA and Miyamoto as the creator of Mario/Spielberg of gaming.

3. Give away copies of the Touch generation series and a few DS-Lites.

Then they should aslo:

1. Reggie and Miyamoto do an Oprah show but kinda spin it as Oprah introducing a new genre of gaming that actually makes you smarter and is fun and educational.

2. Give away Touch Generations and every audience member gets a DS-Lite.

And finally:

1. Do a Larry King special, same theme as Oprah.

With the MTV crowd the DS-Lite will be seen as even more hip/cool.

With the Oprah crowd all those housewives sitting at home will spread the word at their bridge clubs. These guys will be buying Lites for themleves friends and their kids.

And with the Larry King crowd you will get the seniors.

Nintendo FTWii

bengraven

I bought my mom a DS back in February for her birthday and she's played a ton of Animal Crossing, NSMB, and Brain Age in that order ever since.

Belfast

TheKingsCrown said:

You just might since your example has absolutely nothing to do with Brain Age!

threeball

Banned
The other day I was driving through the redneck part of the Texas suburb of Dallas-Fort Worth I live in, and there was a group of about 10 rednecks(may have been family) sitting on their front porch with two DSes.. a regular and a lite.. and some 50 year old bald redneck was playing one of them.

threeball said:
The other day I was driving through the redneck part of the Texas suburb of Dallas-Fort Worth I live in, and there was a group of about 10 rednecks(may have been family) sitting on their front porch with two DSes.. a regular and a lite.. and some 50 year old bald redneck was playing one of them.

You're a real class act.

I really don't understand why it's okay to apply degrading labels to Southern whites.

Beezy

Ford Prefect said:
I said BLUE goddammit! BLUUUUUUEEE

I just got the game 2 days ago and I had a problem with this at first too. I found out that if you hold the DS away from your face and say the words normally instead of yelling, it recognizes what you say just about every time.

GilloD

Banned
Here's the problem. My Mom told me she wanted to play BT, so I replied "Oh, you get a DS Lite. They're like 130 bucks".

AND THEN SHE DROPS THE BOMB

"Well, what other games would I want to play?"
"Big Brain Academy"
"And?"

Good question, Mom. BT is a nice lead in, but how many games are there for non-gamers? This is a nice start, but my Mom really isn't interested in Castlevania or Phoenix Wright and 130 bucks is a lot of cash for a portable Sudoku machine.

Xrenity

GilloD said:
Good question, Mom. BT is a nice lead in, but how many games are there for non-gamers? This is a nice start, but my Mom really isn't interested in Castlevania or Phoenix Wright and 130 bucks is a lot of cash for a portable Sudoku machine.
Yup, indeed.

But mainly the Touch! Generations games (Tetris, Nintendogs, Electroplankton).

GilloD

Banned
I've seen people playing it all over NYC and everytime I'm in Nintendo World (Where's god damn PW?! It's been ON ORDER FOREVER) someone seems to be getting a copy. It worked! I just wonder how many DSes are gonna end up packed away in a box in the next 2 years.

Beezy

GilloD said:
Here's the problem. My Mom told me she wanted to play BT, so I replied "Oh, you get a DS Lite. They're like 130 bucks".

AND THEN SHE DROPS THE BOMB

"Well, what other games would I want to play?"
"Big Brain Academy"
"And?"

Get some puzzle games like Tetris or Magnetica. There's so many different type of puzzle games on the DS.

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
I went to a swim meet in town yesterday to hang out with my sister and niece & I brought my DS along as my sister said it can get boring sometimes. My niece wasn't swimming because she felt sick, so she ended up with the DS the whole time playing NSMB. After my sister got done judging the first half of the meet, she sat down and asked if she could do her Brain Age again. I showed the game to her about a month ago during my niece's piano lessons, and she got a Brain Age of 78. She LOVED it though & thought it was so cool the way the touch screen worked so wel. Well, my niece hogged the DS until I left, but it was cool to see my sister so interested. She's in her late 30s and occasionally plays games with my niece, but has only been really interested in one game: the original Legend of Zelda. My niece said she really wants a DSL, so it's pretty neat to see mother & daughter under the DS spell. Nintendo is definitely onto something.

And they've always been on something, c'mon.

My parents enjoy Brain Age quite a bit, and then my friend's father is absolutely in love with NSMB (he's always been a fan of the old school Mario's and Zelda's

Top Bottom