• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo are still releasing 50Hz games on PAL Wii U VC - Why?

Mael

Not sure how the Wii mode's 50hz works. Will have to play around there.

Wii can display in 50hz while WiiU can't apparently so really the VC games are really the straighest port you'll ever get short of getting the original console and stuff I'd guess.

SGRU

Nintendo are still releasing 50Hz games on PAL Wii U VC - Why?

Because Nintendo.

Well, Sony does it as well. And in that case is even worse. I can bear a SNES game in the shitty PAL version, but the PSX and PS2 games... No. No way.

Mael

Because Nintendo.

Well, Sony does it as well. And in that case is even worse. I can bear a SNES game in the shitty PAL version, but the PSX and PS2 games... No. No way.

To be fair PS1 games can be played as is on ps3s so they really provide the same product only digital.
For PS2 they could provide the emulator for us who have the discs but the games aren't available.
That's shitty of them.

Kirby Adventure is fully in French with a not shite translation to begin with.
And Super Metroid was competently made, nothing special considering the limitations.
I guess that's why we're not so loud about it.

I see.
I was wondering how the French translations turned out as I can't really judge them. Seems like it was a German thing only.

It's still strange that everyone else in Europe has to suffer, just so Germany and France can get their translations.

Jucksalbe

Banned
For example, Kirby's Adventure came out at a time when Nintendo Germany would make up their own names for characters if they felt like it. That's why King Dedede is called "König Nickerchen" (King Little Nap) in the German NES version, although they use his real name in later games and Smash Bros. Brawl.

Did you get the German Kirby version on WiiU VC? When I downloaded it, I got the English version (from the German store). At first I thought, maybe they finally give you the version that corresponds to your system language (since I set my console to English), but I haven't seen anyone on Miiverse with a German screenshot.

SGRU

To be fair PS1 games can be played as is on ps3s so they really provide the same product only digital.

Sure, but if they just let us buy games from other regions... I would buy a ton of games for the PSX, only if I could buy the US version... The same goes for the PS2.

And no, to me is not an option to have a US PSN account.

Mael

I see.
I was wondering how the French translations turned out as I can't really judge them. Seems like it was a German thing only.

It's still strange that everyone else in Europe hast to suffer, just so Germany and France can get their translations.

I find that rather funny myself but really not such a big deal, Kirby is surprisingly weird in its current form.
The NES game always felt off to me though.
Super Metroid I never had any problem so I guess it could get better but not something I find myself caring.
I mean better that than nothing like Yoshi's Island.

Sure, but if they just let us buy games from other regions... I would buy a ton of games for the PSX, only if I could buy the US version... The same goes for the PS2.

And no, to me is not an option to have a US PSN account.

Totally agreed.
The solution they have is shitty and a little insulting if you ask me.
As a result PSX games are out of the question for me.
Might as well get one on the cheap and play it that way.
For ps2 only getting through psn is downright the worse you can do

Did you get the German Kirby version on WiiU VC? When I downloaded it, I got the English version (from the German store). At first I thought, maybe they finally give you the version that corresponds to your system language (since I set my console to English), but I haven't seen anyone on Miiverse with a German screenshot.

Ah, no I didn't download it (because I own the original cartridge already).
I just assumed they would do it like on the Wii VC (depending on what country you set, you could download English/French/German versions of games that had been translated previously).

Can anyone confirm if Kirby's Adventure has French or German text on Wii U?

SGRU

Though the 10% that care are actually somewhat dedicated and probably spend more on average.

It's the same situation as on buggy games, always on-line, and so on. There are a few enthusiasts that complain in forums like this, but the vast mayority of the sales comes from people that just don't care.

Mael

Ah, no I didn't download it (because I own the original cartridge already).
I just assumed they would do it like on the Wii VC (depending on what country you set, you could download English/French/German versions of games that had been translated previously).

Can anyone confirm if Kirby's Adventure has French or German text on Wii U?

Kirby WiiU is french that I can attest, I don't know if I can change the language though, I didn't see any difference from the Wii VC version.

Sendou

Holy fuck. This is why I would never EVER buy a VC game. Thanks for nothing, Nintendo.

The funny thing is that you can never know if it's actually 50Hz or 60Hz. You might end up with a turd if you fail to check it from the press release. Which rationally shouldn't be so.

That comparison is invalid because it only applies to games that weren't originally optimized for 50hz. The EU version of Super Metroid runs at the same speed as the NA version, it's just not as smooth.

Well, I can't speak for the Wii U version, but the "normal" PAL version definitely runs a little slower than its NTSC counterpart.
That's why on speeddemosarchive.com there are two different categories for Super Metroid speedruns, "normal" and "European", because the times are not comparable.
The difference is just way smaller than with Balloon Fight.

Neff

The description says they corrected the aspect ratio, whatever that means exactly.

It probably means they'll stretch it a bit, but it still won't be accurate, as was the case with Balloon Fight and Kirby.

I'm hoping it will disappear like Balloon Fight did, then return with a 60hz version.

Honestly, shit like this is what's gonna make people hope for a hackable Wii U. That's becoming the ugly reality of this PAL-compromised VC.

Nintendo are fucking idiots.

ec0ec0

nintendo... lets see if i am clear... i am spanish and i am ONLY going to buy a specific VC game if the game that you are giving me its equal to the japanese one FRAME BY FRAME with the SAME gameplay. Before thinking if you are going to give me the game in spanish, english or even in the original japanese, think about how you are going to give me a game that plays the SAME as the japanese one. And yes, giving me the original japanese game is an option but giving me a spanish/english game with NOT THE SAME GAMEPLAY is not an option. I would buy hunderds of games in the future... nintendo...

I made a little image to better picture what's going on with optimised PAL games, both then and now. It's slightly more technical than this, but this is the basic gist.

VXDm6Qu.png

In the top row we see the original American release, displaying frames 1 to 20 perfectly.

The second row shows the original PAL SNES release. To get it matching the same speed, they just drop every 5th frame. It's not really all that noticable because the raw output of the SNES is 50hz. There's nothing to account for. It looks okay and plays okay.

The third row is what happens when we take an optimised 50hz game and play it on the Wii U. Because the Wii U can only output at 60hz, this means a 50hz source has to repeat a frame every so often. But because the optimisation already dropped a frame, and now we're repeating one to make up for the hz difference between source and output, we get the effect people are calling "janky". I love the term to describe it.

You can see, the 4th frame is now displayed twice, then the next frame is America's frame 6. If we had the US ROM, we'd just go 4 -> 5 -> 6, but the U "breaks" these optimised games and we're forced to live with 4 -> 4 -> 6. Even without playing, you can imagine this is not ideal..

I bought NES pacman and sometimes I feel a lack of precision when turning. I wonder if that is the reason.

I sold my wii because I was annoyed with games running at 50 Hz and most importantly... with Nintendo attitude.

Kerub

Banned
That comparison is invalid because it only applies to games that weren't originally optimized for 50hz. The EU version of Super Metroid runs at the same speed as the NA version, it's just not as smooth.

But it's valid for Balloon Fight, no?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I bought NES pacman and sometimes I feel a lack of precision when turning. I wonder if that is the reason.

I sold my wii because I was annoyed with games running at 50 Hz and most importantly... with Nintendo attitude.

If it doesn't say it's the US version in the description then assume the worst.

SGRU

And that's why this is a repeated problem. People buy this shit sending the signal that 50hz is acceptable. Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Just to make it clear... I don't support Nintendo on this. I think all the games in the VC should come in the form of the best version available, and that's not the PAL version.

King_Moc

Banned
Yep, all the games should be 60hz by now. Though i would like to choose, maybe. I found Mario World harder than usual since i'm used to 50hz. I kept running off of platforms instead of jumping at the last moment.

They've got bills to pay, dude. Don't want to upset the apple-cart...

Eurogamer gave it a very fair 8/10 and weren't overly hyperbolic on it. Feel free to accuse sites like Polygon or Gamespot of this kind of thing, but i really don't think EG have been guilty of it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait, really?!

.....pffft.
Yeah, I bought the cartridge at a charity shop and first though someone had left the subs on. Went to the option and found I could only change the language. And the intro in the only time another language other than English appears. Once you're in game all text is in English. Basically releasing it in 70Hz wouldn't affect anyone.

Just did a lot of "yeah"'ing in the Super Mario World Miiverse. I can't believe we're going through this again.

Wont buy, just like I didn't buy Kirby for 30p and I wouldn't have bought balloon fight if I'd known it was 50hz before i'd purchased it.

Playing SMW and F-zero in 60hz on the gamepad is just too good to accept 50hz virtual console games in 2013.

sakipon

Holy fuck. This is why I would never EVER buy a VC game. Thanks for nothing, Nintendo.

Nintendo went out of their way to respond to fan cries and managed to release several 60Hz games. By not purchasing them you really aren't helping the cause.

Are there plenty of 60Hz complainers who actually do not own any VC games or plan to buy them? Why should companies listen to non-customers?

MKUltra

Are there plenty of 60Hz complainers who actually do not own any VC games or plan to buy them? Why should companies listen to non-customers?
Most of the people complaining in the Super Mario World Miiverse seem to own that game so it seems so.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I bought FZero and Punch-Out. Gee I wonder what they have in common.

not to defend nintendo's decision but I totaly understand they release translated games in 50Hz.
Imagine the outcry on Miiverse if they release an english 60hz version of Zelda - link to the past on the german eshop.
not everyone(kids, etc) knows english, you know.

Metroid is pretty story-driven. to understand this story is important (IMO)

Nintendo went out of their way to respond to fan cries and managed to release several 60Hz games. By not purchasing them you really aren't helping the cause.

because this service is ought to offer experience superior to roms that have been available on the net for 15 years, not charge you for googling and repackaging them for you

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
not to defend nintendo's decision but I totaly understand they release translated games in 50Hz.
Imagine the outcry on Miiverse if they release an english 60hz version of Zelda - link to the past on the german eshop.

Release 60Hz version labelled as English.
Release 50Hz version labelled as German.

It's that easy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They add a few lines to the intro and that's it. It's not even a full translation. In English you have a full screen of tiny letters. In German you have two lines of massive characters. The rest of the game is just in English. It was a pretty pointless translation and most of that intro can be covered in the manual (like old games used to do).

?
I agree with Zelda, they have to release the translated versions for France and Germany.
But why do UK and other European gamers have to play the slowed down English PAL version and why can't Germans and French players choose to download the English (NTSC) version instead?

Also, Super Metroid is not story-driven. All the story is in the intro, and you could put that into the manual for those who care (like they did with 1 and 2) and that's that. I mean really, without exaggerating, the whole German intro of Super Metroid consists of 7 sentences. Seven! Count them! Are you really telling me that those had to be in the game?

Release 60Hz version labelled as English.
Release 50Hz version labelled as German.

It's that easy.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Top Bottom