• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcx4610

I've wanted Nintendo to do this for years but not like this.

I'm sure it will be a cheap system on a chip like the other clones on the market and the emulation will be poor. It may be licensed but I bet the hardware isn't from Nintendo.

A NES with HDMI, real hardware and a real cart slot. That's what I would want.

I'll hold out for the AVS in a month.

MacTag

Banned
they already exist and licensed by SEGA. pretty interesting Nintendo is doing this themselves.
Sega needs to head one themselves too, the licensed microconsoles are all trash. Get M2 on SMS/MD/Arcade emulation, Sega Mechatronics on some new Saturn USB pads, and you have a recipe for success.

I remember working in retail so many years ago, watching so many random strangers freak out at the sight of the NES Classics Series for the Game Boy Advance.

I think this will do very well.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Isn't this the type of thing you should show at E3?

Anyways, this is pretty neat. Good price point, and a decent library of games included. I'd consider it.

Balb

I'm sure it will be a cheap system on a chip like the other clones on the market and the emulation will be poor. It may be licensed but I bet the hardware isn't from Nintendo.

There's no way they would include a cartridge slot. They're not going to do customer support for 30 year old cartridges for a $60 piece of hardware.

wapplew

Sega needs to head one themselves too, the licensed microconsoles are all trash. Get M2 on SMS/MD/Arcade emulation, Sega Mechatronics on some new Saturn USB pads, and you have a recipe for success.

This.
I buy one as street of rage machine, maybe Shinobi and Sonic too.

VeeP

Gonna wait for the SNES edition, and hopefully Sega puts out a proper version of this for the Genesis, I'd be all over that (with proper emulation & sounds).

Besides that, very cool.

21XX

Banned
I'm a little surprised by all the fanfare over this. All the cries of "brilliance" seem just a bit overdone, I think. It's a neat little gimmick and certainly pulls on my nostalgic heartstrings, but come on folks.

Also, not including the USB AC adapter is garbage.

Again, fun though.

SpaceHorror

Sold.

Also, as much as I would like an SNES version (and believe me, I do), if they do make an N64 version and include Mystical Ninja.

All my money.

muteki

I was gifted the sega version of this and it was pretty crap.

I like the idea and would pay money for it, but there are a lot of things they could do wrong. Also, RetroPie exists. Will wait for impressions.

SummitAve

Banned
There's about a million ways this could end up being a less than ideal way to play these games so I'm curious to see how they're running.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=62142356&cp=&parentPage=search

Comes with 40 Genesis games, plus 40 other games, two wireless controllers and allows for the use of Carts

all for $45.

Never played it myself so I don't know how the games run, but the reviews look alright.

Does this thing have HDMI out? That's the nice thing about this new one from Nintendo. Sure, it's all emulated but at least you can get closer to a clear picture and lag-free play. Most of these little micro consoles just come with composite out, which is a fucking total waste.

Balb

I'm a little surprised by all the fanfare over this. All the cries of "brilliance" seem just a bit overdone, I think. It's a neat little gimmick and certainly pulls on my nostalgic heartstrings, but come on folks.

Again, fun though.

Depends on where you're from. This is going to be a huge holiday seller in the US.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Limited selection of all the same games they've been selling for years in an emulation box of an unknown quality?

/doubt

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm finding it hard to muster any enthusiasm over yet another means of buying some NES games. We have the Virtual Console on Wii, Wii U, and 3DS, so this isn't a huge deal at all. Yes, some of these games aren't represented, but most of the major ones are.

If they did this for the Gamecube however, then they'd have my attention.

I suspect this product isn't for jaded console gamer who is already tired of the virtual console concept. This looks like something to relaunch the Nintendo brand to the public with the thing they theoretically remember best. And make it attractive to buy a dedicated device just to play Nintendo games, if the price is right.

Again, fun though.

It's good marketing and will sell tons this holiday. It's smart and I'm surprise people are giving Nintendo shit over a good move to regain some good mindshare.

And it does include an adapter. Just saying.

Neoxon

I may actually get this. And being able to use the NES controller on the Wii U is a nice plus.

SNES Mini, please?

RK128

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=62142356&cp=&parentPage=search

Comes with 40 Genesis games, plus 40 other games, two wireless controllers and allows for the use of Carts

all for $45.

Never played it myself so I don't know how the games run, but the reviews look alright.

Own one and the emulation is great & the wireless controllers feel fantastic. The issue is, the sound chip is horrible and everything sounds tinny. But the fact you can play Genesis Carts makes it a good value, but you might be able to find an official Genesis for a cheaper price with good sound.

I didn't mind it much, but the poor sound quality is a bit distracting.

Cloud7

This isn't marketed for me and that's ok. Casuals (no disrespect intended) will love this. I own a top loader NES with cartridges.

If this would be bigger and can play cartridges and allow save states for those, I'd be all in on it. Alas, it does not.

I hope all the people who buy it enjoy it though.

I don't see Nintendo messing up or selling an inferior emulation, I'm guessing 100% original game quality on those 30 titles.

1: That was intended for the Chinese market. My post was in reference to the Western Market. I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my posting

2: The games for the IQue player are played through a memory card which plugs into the bottom of the controller. The NES classic mini has its games preloaded in the hardware. So technically the IQue player isn't plug and play.

They are pretty different, I know, but I can't see how Iwata would have stood against it. He has always wanted to avoid the devaluetion of their old games library, true, but this product seems well priced, both for the consumers and for Nintendo, and it seems the right time to sell it given the decline of Wii U and the NX coming next year.

kswiston

Again, fun though.

I think people are just used to the opposite from Nintendo. They were selling a lot of these games for $20 a pop on the GBA and Virtual Console has always been overpriced.

a retro box with 30 mostly good-amazing games for $60 is a pretty good buy, assuming the emulation is at least on par with the VC stuff.

Boney

Banned
Seems like it might be a refurbished Wii without a disc drive or wifi.

Sign me up for the NES Classic controllers for sure. The machine I might get it just for the near factor. Nice repurposing of the technology though and nice licenses of games available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom