• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you use the Wii classic controller with this, they both have the same connecter no?

Edit: just found out you can:

"As Alphr points out, other Nintendo controllers, such as the Wii's Classic Controller Pro, can be used too." - Source

I think it's a PayPal thing. I dunno but I used PayPal on best buys site for Persona 5 and they immediately took the money so it's just already paid for.

I wish Target had done this. They leave a hold on your account until it's ready to ship. Because of that nonsense, when I had to update my debit card (my bank were rolling out the chipped ones), there was no way to update my payment info and they took the liberty of cancelling my order. I even called beforehand and the customer service rep lied and said my order would be fine. Sick of this shit with Nintendo and Target. First Amiibo and now this.

Letep

I wish Target had done this. They leave a hold on your account until it's ready to ship. Because of that nonsense, when I had to update my debit card (my bank were rolling out the chipped ones), there was no way to update my payment info and they took the liberty of cancelling my order. I even called beforehand and the customer service rep lied and said my order would be fine. Sick of this shit with Nintendo and Target. First Amiibo and now this.

This exact thing happened to me and my Target preorder. Ridiculous.

This exact thing happened to me and my Target preorder. Ridiculous.

We all know the answer to this question. Nintendo wants those "most sought after toy" headlines. This is intentional scarcity.

This is untrue. They had to forecast demand many months in advance, and most likely stuck with a conservative number before the unveiling. Since then I imagine they have increased production, but it might be a few weeks/mo the before demand is met. This is common for almost all new products, especially in a modern just-in-time production model that relies on third party manufacturing.

It adds to the nostalgia...

e5369ed28a5f4b57754a880b4f78c6e4.jpg

Yeah, I wont be able to use this thing if I use it on my TV as I will have to basically put my face on the screen to use it. Come on Nintendo, what the hell. Guess I will hook it up to my PC monitor.

I think I owned that TV.

Justinh

This is untrue. They had to forecast demand many months in advance, and most likely stuck with a conservative number before the unveiling. Since then I imagine they have increased production, but it might be a few weeks/mo the before demand is met. This is common for almost all new products, especially in a modern just-in-time production model that relies on third party manufacturing.

You're probably correct, but from what I remember, Nintendo's been getting accused of this sort of stuff since the 80s. So I'd understand why people feel this way. Not sure why you quoted the first person in you post, though.

You're probably correct, but from what I remember, Nintendo's been getting accused of this sort of stuff since the 80s. So I'd understand why people feel this way. Not sure why you quoted the first person in you post, though.

In the 80s it was a real problem though because there was a shortage of carts. Super Mario Brothers 2 and Zelda 2 were almost impossible to find during that holiday season. Same thing for Mario 3 took months to be able just to find in the store. Pre-orders were actually for a good reason at the time because getting a game on release day without one was damn near impossible if it was a popular game.

Before you order those wiimote extension cables, keep in mind the NES mini needs to be within arm's reach in order to press the reset button (to bring up the game save and selection menu). So what you might actually need is a longer HDMI cable (to reach from your TV to the NES mini).

This is great advice.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thanks

Before you order those wiimote extension cables, keep in mind the NES mini needs to be within arm's reach in order to press the reset button (to bring up the game save and selection menu). So what you might actually need is a longer HDMI cable (to reach from your TV to the NES mini).
I have no problem with standing up now and then, much more confortable then having the room full of cables.

adroit

I have no problem with standing up now and then, much more confortable then having the room full of cables.

Unless I'm missing something, you've either got a long controller cable (using one of those extensions on Amazon) going from the NES controller to the NES mini OR a long HDMI cable going from the TV to the NES mini. The difference is one configuration requires you to get up and walk to the NES mini to save or switch games and the other configuration doesn't.

I apologize if I'm overlooking an alternative.

Obviously you have to move the NES mini when you are done with it. Leaving it on the coffee table with the HDMI cable running across the floor would indeed be a mess and a hazard.

Bane

For the Famicom, I assume it's sold out from stores now? Is ebay the best bet at this point?

They aren't going to. GameStop has already confirmed they won't be, so it's safe to say Amazon won't either.

That's a bummer but at least I know I don't have to keep checking. Thanks for the info.

Can you point me to some? :)

To add one more:

My Arcade Extender Cable - 10' Gamepad Extender Cable - NES

10' should be more than enough in addition to the 3' you already get. Only available for pre-order, though, and waiting an extra three weeks after the system releases isn't ideal. I'm also someone who would much prefer to use an extension cable for the controller and keep the system underneath the TV. Having to get up to select a new game or save my progress is a total non-issue.

Only wish I knew more about this company and the quality of their products. They have a handful of different NES Classic controllers listed on Amazon, including a wireless option. The extension cable looks fine, but the controllers... oh boy:

SeNe2AB.png

Syril

I might pick this up if it's possible to find, but I am disappointed that the device will only support HDMI and not composite.
Yeah, I have an old Commodore 64 montior that this would be perfect for. There are HDMI to composite adaptors, but it would probably end up compressing the image.

Yeah, I have an old Commodore 64 montior that this would be perfect for. There are HDMI to composite adaptors, but it would probably end up compressing the image.

Unfortunately. Quite a shame for those of us who want to play the games as authentically as possible out of nostalgia.

TLZ

Banned
I might pick this up if it's possible to find, but I am disappointed that the device will only support HDMI and not composite.

Unfortunately. Quite a shame for those of us who want to play the games as authentically as possible out of nostalgia.

You guys really are that desperate for that dirty washed out picture huh.

jmizzal

Can you use the Wii classic controller with this, they both have the same connecter no?

Edit: just found out you can:

"As Alphr points out, other Nintendo controllers, such as the Wii's Classic Controller Pro, can be used too." - Source

Nice I can use those instead of getting a wireless or longer cable

Sushigod7

Target cancelled mine as well I guess I'll be driving around Friday morning looking for in stock units. Hopefully Amazon drops them early Friday morning so I can just snag it there or Best Buy online.

If this thing seriously doesn't have enough supply at launch I don't know how Nintendo is going to manage the Switch launch.

This is a cheap piece of tech, not something hard to manufacture.

Nintendo will surely artificially limit this thing to stay in the headlines over the holiday season since all they have is Pokemon Sun and Moon.

woopWOOP

Weird reading about all these pre-order problems overseas. I could pre-order the thing at my local videogame chain store a week after reveal, no problem. I still ended up as nr.40 and altho the people working there keep assuring me I can pick it up at release, I figure I'm gonna have to wait a couple of weeks or so.
Atleast there's no standing in line in front of a closed store or anything crazy like that.

Akoi

Same here, I got the model 1702. This would work perfectly on that too, Nes games on my PI runs awesomely on it.

Are these controllers going to be something I can convert to USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom