• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo "could" lose Wii U trademark rights in England

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
2555669.jpg

Holy Gradient Tools Batman!

Also that U logo looks nothing like the WiiU logo. Do they honestly think John Doe is that much of an idiot?

iceatcs

Once i trademarked the letters in the alphabet that are still available, you all owe some some giant mountains of cash *hrhr*

seriusly, not getting the name because of a single letter is bull... No one should be able to trademark a single letter. So if it happenes that a brand sounds similar to another, just let it slide... Wii U will have nothing to do with whatever the oder U has to do with...

ShinNL

Perfect excuse to change to Wii 2.

Wii U is a crappy name.
And it's not about getting used to it, I thought Wii was a good name from the very start. Wii U is confusing, doesn't roll of the tongue, looks dumb in text form, doesn't differentiate well in logo form from the original Wii. It's just bad.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What'll it be called in Scotland and Wales then? Or did OP mean UK?
Well, it says England in the filings. I do not know if it means just England or UK. But seeing as the company is based in England, I assume it's only for that.

Desmond

Rösti;37469949 said:
Well, it says England in the filings. I do not know if it means just England or UK. But seeing as the company is based in England, I assume it's only for that.

Well they'd hardly rename it in just England then. Would be a ludicrous decision

Eusis

Wii FU

... Wait, U-DO? Distract these guys with Xenosaga then push through Wii U, Nintendo may own the developers but Namco seems to own the IP.

Ezalc

I honestly kind of hope that this makes it so that Nintendo has to change the god awful name. Then again claiming the letter U is bullshit and there's no way Nintendo would lose this case.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Orayn

I somehow find it hard to believe this will be a serious impediment to Nintendo. Call it a hunch.

Hey, not cool.

Those words are meant to have a 'u' in them. You lot seem to feel its ok to take them out.

Ha! Such petty spelling differences have never mattered to our mutant bastard highwayman of a language.

Also the Wii U isn't really a bad name at all.

I think it has the potential to confuse the "blue ocean" consumers (and the less aware "hardcore" gamers) who might think it's an incremental upgrade to the Wii and ignore it. I've talked to people who had that reaction to the 3DS.

Copyrights and trademarks are two different things. Trademarks are there to protect a brand, so if a letter is associated with a specific company/brand, like the apple i, you can definitely trademark it.

Truth101

Banned
I think it has the potential to confuse the "blue ocean" consumers (and the less aware "hardcore" gamers) who might think it's an incremental upgrade to the Wii and ignore it. I've talked to people who had that reaction to the 3DS.

The reason the 3DS was confused for a DS upgrade was because it was marketed as an upgrade. Not because of the actual name.

Top Bottom