• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct : Tomodachi Collection confirmed for Europe/na

Neiteio

I don't know what this is and I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm already sold after the screens in the OP, lol

Please don't force me and my friends to be straight in the game. Nintendo has always been worried about being politically correct in their games and now I think the PC thing to do would to be inclusive of everyone.

I want this game badly, but it's going to be a hard pill to swallow if something so basic about me as a human being isn't an option in the game.

narton

I highly recommend also watching the European version of the direct. There are some differences in footage and otherwise.

zroid

Banned
1cad35943a05da1145e8bk4s01.jpg

Hyped, but the grammar here irks me. ಠ_ಠ

Xanos

Neo Member
Not gonna lie, I laughed a few times during this video. The game sort of looks like a really bizzare, Japanese verion of The Sims.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Who do you choose, Samus?

sounds like "Are you choosing Samus?"

It's how someone speaks not how it's correctly written. Certain speech pattern will have grammatical inaccuracies to the norm. Since this is emulating speech rather than simply being written text it's fine.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't care much before when I saw the Japanese version. Singing Iwata was kind of amusing but that was all.
However, after this seeing this I'm really curious about the game, it's so hilarious and charming. Will definitely buy.

R0ckman

Will definitely pick this up. Direct was amusing, not particularly hilarious though, a bit to try hard for my tastes on humor. The moments in the game were pretty funny I will say.

Are we stuck with British accents in the EU version? And why does the EU box art look so terrible? :|
NOE just are not at good as making logos and it is likely they worked independently of NOA in making the logo. Take Xenoblade as one example. All NOA did was change the word Chronicles to be in a different font to the word Xenoblade and be smaller but it looks way better (you then boot the game up and see the EU logo because effort).

I guess on the other hand Advance Wars Dark Conflict logo is underrated. The Days of Ruin one just comes across as a fan taking the Advance Wars logo and sticking the words days of ruin in an ugly bubble while Dark Conflict tries to be different while might be a little overdesigned with the crosshair.

It is also the case that NOE are emulating the NCL box art and logo (I remember once making a comment about this about how the Japanese Mario & Luigi logo and boxes look better than the US/EU ones in a typical intenret Japan vs. world boxart story so feel responsible for this):
105592_front.jpg

Man what an ugly logo...also play spot the differences with the EU version.

Tyeforce

I'm really concerned about whether or not same sex relationships will be supported in the localized version of this game, so I sent an email to Nintendo about it... I'm not expecting an actual response, but we'll see. If anyone's interested, here's what I sent:

Hi, I have a question regarding the recently announced Tomodachi Life game for Nintendo 3DS. As the game has been released in Japan for quite some time now, I understand that relationships are a big part of the game. This includes content that is locked behind relationships, such as dating, marriage, moving into a new house, and having Mii children. This content appears to be pretty major, especially things like moving into a bigger house.

This content is obviously available to opposite sex Mii characters in the game. However, will same sex Mii characters be able to form relationships as well and experience all the same or at least most of the same content? I understand that this is not the case in the original Japanese version of the game, but I was hoping that this would possibly be changed in the localized version.

As someone who is attracted to the same sex, having all this content unavailable to me unless I choose to have my Mii character be in an opposite sex relationship in the game would be very off-putting and disappointing, and I believe it would greatly reduce my enjoyment of the game and even affect my decision to purchase the game or not. I'm sure you can imagine how someone who is attracted to the opposite sex would feel the same way if only same sex relationships were available to them. Tomodachi Life is supposed to be a game where almost anything can happen, and I would hope that that would include allowing my Mii character to form a relationship with whomever he wants.

I really hope that same sex relationships are supported in the game, not just for myself but also for the many other people out there in the same position as me. This game looks really fun and it'd be really unfortunate if many people couldn't fully enjoy it due to limitations with relationships, which are a big part of the game. I hope that if it's not something that's been added to the localized version, that an update for the game is considered to add this feature later. Thank you.

I know there are many other people out there who feel the same as I do about this, and I encourage you to speak up about it in any way possible. If it's not something that has been added to the localization, there's still hope that it can be patched in later.

Alfredo

I'm so happy this is actually being localized, and now a ton more people are excited for it thanks to this direct! :D

I first saw footage of the game in a Japanese direct a looooong time ago (http://youtu.be/_e3VWO3iDt0). It intrigued me enough that when I found out there was a DS version (yay, region free!), I imported it and fell in love with it, despite not knowing much Japanese (though I knew enough Katakana to get names pronounceable in text to speech).

I then lamented the fact that I would probably never get to play the 3DS version due to the region lock, and people kept saying that there was no way Nintendp would localize such a quirky game. I'm so glad they were wrong in the end.

Kind of a weird name change though. Glad they kept Tomodachi in there somewhere. "Friend Collection" sounds kinda creepy despite that's what it's supposed to be!

I'm gonna warn you guys, though, it's gonna be weird when your Mii falls in love with a Mii based on a real life friend or family member! :p Luckily, you can guide your Mii in the right direction if you stay diligent.

Tyeforce

I'm gonna warn you guys, though, it's gonna be weird when your Mii falls in love with a Mii based on a real life friend or family member! :p Luckily, you can guide your Mii in the right direction if you stay diligent.
This is why there's absolutely no excuse to not include same sex relationships in the game... It obviously has nothing to do with controversy or anything, because you can marry your mother or sister if you want! =/

I'm really concerned about whether or not same sex relationships will be supported in the localized version of this game, so I sent an email to Nintendo about it... I'm not expecting an actual response, but we'll see. If anyone's interested, here's what I sent:

I know there are many other people out there who feel the same as I do about this, and I encourage you to speak up about it in any way possible. If it's not something that has been added to the localization, there's still hope that it can be patched in later.

I was going to say something via Twitter but maybe I'll email them. It's actually a big deal to me if they completely leave out the option and I'll definitely be rethinking my support of Nintendo in the future if they don't include it.

This is why there's absolutely no excuse to not include same sex relationships in the game... It obviously has nothing to do with controversy or anything, because you can marry your mother or sister if you want! =/

I was under the impression that same sex relationships were in the Japanese version, but there was a bug involving males getting pregnant and corrupting save files that needed correcting and the gaming media jumped on it as Nintendo hating same sex marriage or something.

Salsa

I'm looking forward to what GAF truly thinks about this game once it's out

I know a lot of people found out animal crossing is not for them cause it wasn't "gamey" enough... this is less than that. game is basically virtual pets that you watch and barely interact with. I expect some people loving it as much as I expect others dumbfounded as to where's the fun in it

I know I'll love it tho

batbeg

Oh my I think I might buy this. While the lack of gaming might detract from my experience it looks chock full of zany potential.

Tyeforce

I was under the impression that same sex relationships were in the Japanese version, but there was a bug involving males getting pregnant and corrupting save files that needed correcting and the gaming media jumped on it as Nintendo hating same sex marriage or something.
As far as I know, the glitch is what allowed relationships between two male Mii characters in the first place. It was never officially supported.

Top Bottom