• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Jazzem

Hobbun said:
I wonder why FF IV is 900 points? It's not an import.

As I understand it, VC prices in Japan are variable in that if the game is considered particularly long or in-depth, it'll have a higher price point than the usual for a game on the system. I think OOT is 1200 there for example.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jazzem said:
As I understand it, VC prices in Japan are variable in that if the game is considered particularly long or in-depth, it'll have a higher price point than the usual for a game on the system. I think OOT is 1200 there for example.
Exactly.

261dxmx.jpg

Hobbun said:
Ahh, my mistake. I was thinking this was NA. I thought Japan already had IV.

It's not coming. Already went through this long ago.
I know it's not coming. It's just a good reminder of how much Nintendo of America is a company run by fuckwads.

Brazil

Hobbun said:
Ahh, my mistake. I was thinking this was NA. I thought Japan already had IV.

It's not coming. Already went through this long ago.
Anyone care to enlighten me?

Did we get a PR from Nintendo that went "Earthbound won't be released on the Virtual Console!"?

tim1138

Brazil said:
Anyone care to enlighten me?

Did we get a PR from Nintendo that went "Earthbound won't be released on the Virtual Console!"?

If I remember right there was some legal issues with one of the songs and Itoi didn't want NoA to edit the ROM or something.

Dragona Akehi said:
Soon.

And you think SE is going to release CT on VC when the DS version is STILL selling?

AHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA
Not that it's a surprise to wait for another port, but I wouldn't guess CT is a very leggy game.
Nuclear Muffin said:
Hey, they released Front Mission on VC and FFT on PSN despite them both seeing recent re-releases!
FFT had about 1.5 years between War of the Lions and the PSN release; at least going by US dates. If Front Mission is hitting Japan VC soon, that will be about 2.5 years after the DS version.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Not that it's a surprise to wait for another port, but I wouldn't guess CT is a very leggy game.

FFT had about 1.5 years between War of the Lions and the PSN release; at least going by US dates. If Front Mission is hitting Japan VC soon, that will be about 2.5 years after the DS version.

Front Mission came out on the Japanese VC on May 20, 2008, so that's also around 1.5 years after its DS release.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Front Mission came out on the Japanese VC on May 20, 2008, so that's also around 1.5 years after its DS release.
Wikipedia says that was Front Mission: Gun Hazard, which is a side-scrolling spin-off.

CTLance

Jazzem said:
I got that off ebay for £3 recently. If you ask me, the battle theme is worth £3 alone :D
For that price it's a steal. Yeah, the music is awesome. Said battle theme is now stuck in my head. You are a very bad person and I hate you.

Fun thing to do with at least the european version (will likely fuck up your game, so don't save afterwards unless you're 100% sure you're OK):

Use up all of a consumable item.
Buy "0" items of that kind.
Use that nonexistant item.

It will roll over to 99 items of that kind (sometimes it won't even decrement that counter when you use it afterwards), and some other items will appear/disappear. This can be very neat, or very bad, since story-related items will be affected too.

I'm always amazed that this doesn't show up on gamefaqs. Seems like only a handful of guys remember this cheat. Maybe they patched it out after the first print run or something.

Also make sure to save yourself some heartaches and try to time your levelups to happen after the last fight on a battlefield, but before you get the XP bonus from completing it. You will receive another levelup from the bonus XP for free.

Game was broken, but that's part of its charm. :D

Stink said:
Just played 45 minutes of Driift Mania.

Ironman fans rejoice. Game is fuckawesome :O

Also reminded me a lot of a game on the ZX Spectrum called 3D Stock Cars.

y2ghx.gif
hehe according to the timer thing I ended up playing it for over 3 hours last night. fucking game is supergreat

all eurons need this game

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wikipedia says that was Front Mission: Gun Hazard, which is a side-scrolling spin-off.

Doh, you're right. I don't really know much about the series so I thought that that one was the original :lol

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
tim1138 said:
If I remember right there was some legal issues with one of the songs and Itoi didn't want NoA to edit the ROM or something.

No, that was merely fan speculation on why it might not be coming.

Apenheul

Joseph Merrick said:
hehe according to the timer thing I ended up playing it for over 3 hours last night. fucking game is supergreat

all eurons need this game

The unlockable stages are crazy. I particularly like the second one with the four crossroads, pick the firetruck and ram everyone out of your way. Definitely the most fun I've had with a WiiWare game since World of Goo :)

So in My Life as a Darklord only the items are currently available to purchase? Too bad; I'm least interested in spending money to counteract built-in difficulty by allowing me more free NP and damage, when I can just play longer, try new strategies, and earn karma in the process.

JoshuaJSlone said:
So in My Life as a Darklord only the items are currently available to purchase? Too bad; I'm least interested in spending money to counteract built-in difficulty by allowing me more free NP and damage, when I can just play longer, try new strategies, and earn karma in the process.

Honestly, you don't really need the extra items if you're willing to do a bit of grinding or are just tactically astute. The extra characters do make it a lot more fun but also a lot easier and more expensive. Just watching a giant troll slap the shit out of one of the heroes is always good for a laugh. (All the DLC was released day 1 in PAL land.)

wackojackosnose said:
Honestly, you don't really need the extra items if you're willing to do a bit of grinding or are just tactically astute. The extra characters do make it a lot more fun but also a lot easier and more expensive. Just watching a giant troll slap the shit out of one of the heroes is always good for a laugh. (All the DLC was released day 1 in PAL land.)
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting the extra stages, and maybe some of the FF character/costume fanservice if it catches me at a weak moment.

I believe WiiWare has totally ruined the Virtual Console. All WiiWare titles (except for Mega Man 9) are crap shovelware. Why the hell would a true Nintendo fan like this crap? I also don't understand why Nintendo fans are praising freaking Wii Sports Resort. Can you justify Motion Plus, technology that should have been included with the Wii when it first came out? I guarantee you Nintendo will ditch Motion Plus like every other peripheral they've had in the past.

rpmurphy

cantstanja said:
I believe WiiWare has totally ruined the Virtual Console. All WiiWare titles (except for Mega Man 9) are crap shovelware. Why the hell would a true Nintendo fan like this crap? I also don't understand why Nintendo fans are praising freaking Wii Sports Resort. Can you justify Motion Plus, technology that should have been included with the Wii when it first came out? I guarantee you Nintendo will ditch Motion Plus like every other peripheral they've had in the past.
I believe them's fightin' words. Good luck.

farnham

Banned
cantstanja said:
okay

tell me how is world of goo shovelware

how is swords and soldiers shovelware

how is bit trip beat shovel ware

how is artstyle orbient shovelware

how is toki tori shovelware

how is my life as a king shovelware

and most importantly.. what does WM+ and Wii sports resort have to do with VC/Wiiware and DSiware..

kthxgbye

zigg

cantstanja said:

Sorry, I'm all out of hugs.

gerg

cantstanja said:
I believe WiiWare has totally ruined the Virtual Console. All WiiWare titles (except for Mega Man 9) are crap shovelware. Why the hell would a true Nintendo fan like this crap? I also don't understand why Nintendo fans are praising freaking Wii Sports Resort.

No true Scotsman fallacy.

Can you justify Motion Plus, technology that should have been included with the Wii when it first came out? I guarantee you Nintendo will ditch Motion Plus like every other peripheral they've had in the past.

Define "should".

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dragona Akehi said:
Guys. Really. What game do you think would fit with SE's current downloadable releases?

Hmm, since Actraiser is already up there... SOULBLAZER!!! I wish...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
djtiesto said:
Hmm, since Actraiser is already up there... SOULBLAZER!!! I wish...
Why stop at Soulblazer? Release the whole "Creation Trilogy". I'd buy all three and possibly even gift one away.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
farnham said:
okay

tell me how is world of goo shovelware

how is swords and soldiers shovelware

how is bit trip beat shovel ware

how is artstyle orbient shovelware

how is toki tori shovelware

how is my life as a king shovelware
excuse me, good sir, but how is any of the art style titles shovelware?
also, you get one demerit point for omitting lost winds ; )

Brazil

cantstanja said:
Oh, just get out of here, please.

Let's Hitchhike is being localised. The confirmation is an ESRB rating for a title called Full Blast Hitchhike:
ESRB said:
Full Blast Hitchhike

Platform: Wii

Rating: Everyone

Content descriptors: Comic Mischief

Rating summary: This is "party game" game in which players hitchhike their way through colorful levels to avoid monsters, aliens, dinosaurs, and an angry restaurant owner. Players use a targeting crosshair to lock on to buggies, dinosaurs, and spaceships in an attempt to catch a ride and proceed through the game. Along the way, players interact with a several characters, some of whom make comments with tongue-in-cheek humor (e.g., "What are the two sexiest farm animals? Brownchickenbrowncow!" and "Japanese girls are great! W-well…not as great as YOU, my pet").
Also, NIS America, Inc. is the publisher.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
so, any impressions of the three musketeers?

My Life as a Darklord question: So I've gone through all the initially available stages now. In some of the side stages along with the other rewards you collect "Celestial Shards", so I've got five of these things. They don't seem to do anything, though. Am I missing something? Perhaps it comes into play with some of the DLC?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ESRB Watch:

Contra Rebirth

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Fantasy Violence

Rating summary: This is an arcade-style action game in which players control an elite soldier that battles an invading alien force. Players run through 2D, side-scrolling screens and shoot hordes of aliens and robot enemies. Guns, lasers, and rockets can be used to defeat enemies that cry out in pain and explode in brief fiery bursts.

GhostSeed

Shard said:
ESRB Watch:

Contra Rebirth

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Fantasy Violence

Rating summary: This is an arcade-style action game in which players control an elite soldier that battles an invading alien force. Players run through 2D, side-scrolling screens and shoot hordes of aliens and robot enemies. Guns, lasers, and rockets can be used to defeat enemies that cry out in pain and explode in brief fiery bursts.

Fucking finally.

Shard said:
Between this and the Scribblenauts one, I'm thinking it might be in companies' best interest to just let the ESRB summary be used for the back of the box. Well, there's no physical box in this case...

Yagharek

Hi peoples. I am thinking of making a few more VC and wiiware purchases and I would like to see what people think of the following dilemmas:

Super Ghouls n Ghosts vs Megadrive G'n'G

Mega Turrican vs Super Turrican

And how do the 3D Zelda games run on VC? Many thanks in advance.

Edit: and holy shit is swords and soldiers addictive. Polished off the vikings and aztecs yesterday. The game makes me hungry.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
RandomVince said:
And how do the 3D Zelda games run on VC? Many thanks in advance.

my experience, MAJORA'S MASK runs better than it ever has through v.c. fewer framerate hitches, no freezing, and--most importantly--still plays incredibly.

buy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
SappYoda said:
I got 700 wii points from club nintendo stars.

Any recommendation?

Convince Nintendo to allow Americans to get points from their Club Nintendo stars.

AniHawk

Starwolf_UK said:
Let's Hitchhike is being localised. The confirmation is an ESRB rating for a title called Full Blast Hitchhike:

Also, NIS America, Inc. is the publisher.

This was supposed to be out a while ago. The voice acting borders between awful and awesome.

Top Bottom