• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2017

Needham

Can anyone tell me if any of the following games require the ZL or ZR buttons?

Blaster Master Zero
Kamiko
Wonder Boy
Bomberman
Neo Geo games

I have an 8bitdo SNES30 and want to get in on some good 2D games now that I have a decent dpad to play Switch games with, but it doesn't have ZL or ZR. Don't want to buy something and find I can't use my SNES30 to play it.

tolkir

Can anyone tell me if any of the following games require the ZL or ZR buttons?

Blaster Master Zero
Kamiko
Wonder Boy
Bomberman
Neo Geo games

I have an 8bitdo SNES30 and want to get in on some good 2D games now that I have a decent dpad to play Switch games with, but it doesn't have ZL or ZR. Don't want to buy something and find I can't use my SNES30 to play it.

If the game supports one joy-con controller, it means can play it with SNES30. I don't know if there is some place where you can look this. (Except ARMS because you need the stick click)

If nobody answers it, I can test them at 1 hour-1:30.

Needham

If the game supports one joy-con controller, it means can play it with SNES30. I don't know if there is some place where you can look this. (Except ARMS because you need the stick click)

If nobody answers it, I can test them at 1 hour-1:30.
It emulates the pro controller, so the controls could be different from a single joycon. L and R might get swapped to ZL and ZR with no way to switch them. I can't find controls for anything online these days, so the only way to find out is to buy them.

If you could check for me that would be great.

BooJoh

Blaster Master can be reconfigured manually but requires 7 buttons, not counting Select and Start, so I'd say that's probably a no.

Wonder Boy only uses ZR to switch on the fly between retro and updated visuals, which you can change in the menu system. Doesn't use ZL.

Bomberman doesn't use ZL/ZR as far as I can tell.

Kamiko uses B, L, R, ZL, and ZR all for the same function, dashing, so you're fine there.

I don't have any NeoGeo games to test.

EDIT: Worth mentioning, while Kamiko does support d-pad (or d-buttons at least - I don't have a pro controller,) I don't know that I would recommend playing that way. The game has free movement and is meant to be fairly fast-paced so the analog stick really provides better control IMO.

tolkir

Blaster Master can be reconfigured manually but requires 7 buttons, not counting Select and Start, so I'd say that's probably a no.

Wonder Boy only uses ZR to switch on the fly between retro and updated visuals, which you can change in the menu system. Doesn't use ZL.

Bomberman doesn't use ZL/ZR as far as I can tell.

Kamiko uses B, L, R, ZL, and ZR all for the same function, dashing, so you're fine there.

I don't have any NeoGeo games to test.

EDIT: Worth mentioning, while Kamiko does support d-pad (or d-buttons at least - I don't have a pro controller,) I don't know that I would recommend playing that way. The game has free movement and is meant to be fairly fast-paced so the analog stick really provides better control IMO.

Basically this. NeoGeo games can play it perfectly fine. ZL and ZR are duplicate buttons.
Some evidence. Warning: Spanish test.

Blaster Master
da3oy4rvoaapsong7uy9.jpg

da3od5iuiaabomrrluuq.jpg

Wonder Boy
da3okxsumaa0gwlo5ul5.jpg

Super Bomberman R
da3ovmouaaaavta6ou7g.jpg

NeoGeo
da3oqebv0aaxydqofu38.jpg

Needham

Awesome, thanks.

So Blaster Master's ok until I need to climb walls. You said you can change the buttons though? Could probably change the weapon change button to wall climb, I think you can change weapons in the pause menu.

Wonderboy I just can't change the graphics to retro mode it seems. I could always use another controller to change the mode if I really want to. It's not something you would use all the time.

I'm sure I'd be fine playing Kamiko with a dpad. I'm an old school guy, I hate using sticks for these kinds of games. I have a pro controller anyway if it turns out I do prefer analog controls.

Thanks again. Sounds like I should be able to play everything I'm interested in.

BooJoh

Wonderboy I just can't change the graphics to retro mode it seems. I could always use another controller to change the mode if I really want to.
You can also switch it to retro in the pause menu, along with various retro display options for scanlines/color fix, etc.

RpgN

Hmmm...are Picross e3 and e4 worth it if you have e7, Zelda and Pokemon? It seems like a lot of content for essentially the same games only with different puzzles, unless each part is unique in some way?

I'm still playing e7, completed Picross mode with all medals and currently busy with Mega Picross (made it up to puzzle 93 with all medals). I've already invested over 75 hours.

I also tried Zelda Picross. It's a very nostalgic experience for obvious reasons. Gameplay also feels slightly different when you can't use the purple markers and when the timer penalty is on.

The tentative plan is to finish Picross e7, then play Zelda since it's a short experience, then continue with Pokemon. Picross e3 and e4 feel unneeded unless they offer something new or for the ones who always want to play Picross. 40% off is very tempting though. Any feedback is appreciated.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's basically just more puzzles, but that's really to be expected for Picross. The later games would add stuff like Micross (that mode where you solve smaller puzzles to form a bigger picture) & Mega Picross, both of which are in e7.

For me, as someone who really liked the series, I was very content with owning all 7 titles + Pokemon Picross + Zelda Picross + Picross DS + 3D Picross + 3D Picross Round 2 + Mario's Picross.

Think of them as "expansion packs" that add a whole bunch of additional puzzles. If that's what you want, then go right ahead, but if you feel content with the three you already have & don't want more of the same, then maybe skip it.

Hilarion

I want to play Disgaea 5 with Japanese audio and English subtitles. Is this possible, and, if so, which version would I have to buy? The eShop description of Disgaea 5 says "languages supported English, French."

deadfolk

I want to play Disgaea 5 with Japanese audio and English subtitles. Is this possible, and, if so, which version would I have to buy? The eShop description of Disgaea 5 says "languages supported English, French."

I have the Japanese eShop version and play it like this. However, I would be very surprised if all versions did not have this ability. Obviously I can't personally vouch for any of the others, though.

L~A

A screenshot from GoNintendo as proof:

K4wwmrj.jpg

Chances it hits NA on the same day?

You don't need no GoNintendo, Nintendo's listing it already: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ni...software/Shantae-Half-Genie-Hero-1229065.html

Anyway, thought nothing could be worse than RCMADIAX games? Well, you were wrong! Wii U eShop sinking one step lower.

Introducing 4 yo Drawings: The Game

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U-download-software/A-Drawing-s-Journey-1228881.html

tolkir

Anyway, thought nothing could be worse than RCMADIAX games? Well, you were wrong! Wii U eShop sinking one step lower.

Introducing 4 yo Drawings: The Game

miyazakiwiiueshopwasamistake.jpg

I don't like to judge before to see some gameplay but those screens don't give hope.

At least, it's a new developer with its first game. Something better to a 35th game with a uppercase title and polygon drawings.

GulAtiCa

I still say Meme Run & it's annoying creator is way worse then the 500 titles RCMADIAX has put out.

"U-Craft" creator even worse, but really doesn't matter since they failed to actually produce anything.. lol

I'd be pretty onboard to try a game with the artstyle of the the first screenshot. Especially if it has reasonably smooth animation to it. I think I have a higher tolerance for junky design when I can feel new ideas or some genuine (even if ametuerish) effort thrown in. I mean, I even liked treefall studios for a while, just because the creator's developer diaries made me feel like he was proud of what he was able to do and learn while making the games.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I totally would be on board of a game where the art style changes over time to reflect the art skills of the person who is "drawing" the graphics, it could start as crude 5 year old drawings, but as you progress & the "artist" grows up/gets better, the environments look better. Sort of like how Bit Boy on WiiWare & how it started with 4-bit/Atari graphics & would evolve to PS2/GCN/Xbox era graphics.

Meanwhile, Sonic Mania is confirmed for August 15th & $19.99. However, it doesn't seem to be up on the eShop yet, despite being available for pre-order on other digital platforms.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I guess you could say I'm on a moratorium until E3 now.

Won't buy anything until E3 rolls through and I get a better feel for the landscape on all platforms.

donny2112

I have a Rhythm Heaven Megamix coupon that goes out tomorrow, so plan on purchasing that sometime tomorrow. Hoping for a sale since it's been about 1 year since it was released, but if not, will still get it.
Throw it on the pile!

zigg

I have a Rhythm Heaven Megamix coupon that goes out tomorrow, so plan on purchasing that sometime tomorrow. Hoping for a sale since it's been about 1 year since it was released, but if not, will still get it.
Throw it on the pile!
I got it with the coupon and that was a great price for what I got out of the game. 👍🏻

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Capcom sale on the US eShop:

3DS:
- Mega Man Legacy Collection, $5.99
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, $7.99
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, $11.99
- Monster Hunter Generations, $19.99
- Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, $10.19
- Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, $20.09
- Ace Attorney Trilogy, $14.99
- Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, $6.39
- Resident Evil Revelations, $9.99
- Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition, $11.99

Wii U:

- Ducktales Remastered, $3.74
- Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, $3.74
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: $7.99
- Resident Evil Revelations, $9.99

Refyref

Natsume announced they're localizing 2 more Kunio-kun games. Knights of Justice is eShop-exclusive, while while nothing announced yet for Rival Showdown, which is actually the River City Ransom remake that was released in Japan last year.

Anyway, if we're going to talk about sleazy eShop publishers, I have to bring up a company called "nuGame". They've recently published a number of identical looking breakout games for the New 3DS, with at least 4 titles showing up on the "new games" list, and 3 of them currently on sale. They're flooding the store.

Top Bottom