• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

jesus fucking christ allmighty
Final Fight 2
best brawler next to FF3
sooo great

also Lost Winds 2 is mine too

fuck that "update will kill your wii"
I must own these games

upandaway

Will gladly take Lost Winds 2, thank you.

Ah, so beautiful. Another game announced well after Cave Story's "first" release date came out before Cave Story. Truly incredible.

Edit: Kotaku posted up some stuff about Last Flight. Been ages since we heard about that game! Some screenshots with the link too, but I don't know if it's cool to post those since there's a bunch of blood.
Upcoming action-adventure horror WiiWare game Last Flight will deliver its cel-shaded tale of vampires on a plane over four episodes, developers Bloober Team told Kotaku today.

Marcin Kawa, executive producer on the game, describes Last Flight as an action-adventure game similar to Golden Axe but with a bit of dark humor. The game has players take on the role of Larry Adelman, a chubby culinary critic stuck on a flight with a vampire that starts to infect other passengers.

To play Last Flight, gamers need to swing the remote or nunchuk to perform attacks. The game will include combos and final blows as well, Kawa said.

While the developers declined to say how much the game, due out later this year, will cost, Kawa said that they broke the title into four episodes to make it as affordable as possible.
http://kotaku.com/5377074/a-closer-look-at-wiiwares-dark-last-flight/gallery/

Bolded is good, underlined is bad (very bad). I guess we'll see about it.
I have this very tiny nudging feeling that developers feel it's fair to toss around "adventure" like it's a bag of hand-made nickels. It seems far from an adventure game.

sfog

"Originally Posted by Jethro:
How many Wonderboy Games are still left?

The Arcade and C64 ports I think. It's easy to lose track."

There's also the SMS port of the Genesis Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV, although I doubt that'll make it out of Japan.

Apenheul

I think I rented Final Fight 2 three or four times when I was a kid, beat-em-ups were easily my favorite genre. I've just played through the VC version again and maybe it's the nostalgia factor but I'd rate Final Fight 2 slightly above Streets of Rage 1 (SOR2 & SOR3 are better than FF2 though). It's probably mostly the graphics and huge enemy/player sprites,

Capndrake

VC for Japan next week:

-Kirby Super Star (SFC, Nintendo)
-Baraduke (VCA, Namco Bandai)
-Bakutotsu Kijuutei: Baraduke II (VCA, Namco Bandai)

Apenheul said:
I think I rented Final Fight 2 three or four times when I was a kid, beat-em-ups were easily my favorite genre. I've just played through the VC version again and maybe it's the nostalgia factor but I'd rate Final Fight 2 slightly above Streets of Rage 1 (SOR2 & SOR3 are better than FF2 though). It's probably mostly the graphics and huge enemy/player sprites,

it's not only you.
I rate all Final Fights above the SoRs.
FF2 is already great but FF3 is really THE brawler.
massive neogeo-size sprites, huge variety in moves(more than any other brawler), 2 player coop action, awesome soundtrack and SFX and great bosses.
hopefully it will be out before next year on VC

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Apenheul said:

i loved beat 'em ups too as a kid. you just convinced me to buy this bad boy.

Lost Wind surprise is win!

And WHOO YEAH GO WONDER BOY!

Next up: SMS Wonder Boy in Monster World. :lol

THREE VERSIONS OF THE EXACT SAME GAME ON VC BABY!

(Pity there's no arcade version to make it 4!)

WB1 could be the real champ though, if you counted Adventure Island you could have thousands of 'versions' of it on the VC. :D

jamesinclair said:
Is there any reason there are so few N64 games on VC?

Probably for a number of reasons, but mainly I'd think that:
  • The catalogue of available titles is smaller
  • Emulation is likely more complex

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
jamesinclair said:
Is there any reason there are so few N64 games on VC?
Some bullshit about most N64 games using the memory card.

Somnid

Dan said:
Some bullshit about most N64 games using the memory card.

Um, what?

I think Cosmonaut X got it. With fewer games in general coming from Nintendo themselves for VC they've probably diverted resources to Wii/DSiWare and so those N64 games are going to be significantly tougher to release.

Dragona is probably spot-on in regards to Smash Bros in the US though.

PacoDG

My friend was just at VGXPO (which turned out to be shit from what he tells me). .. anyways, he got to try out that "System Flaw" game for DSi

gickr.com_104bef20-63d5-2494-f9ab-188c9ad1e86e.gif

System Flaw is the first game for the DSi that works only on the DSi (no PSP port for you!). Reps from Storm City boasted (jokingly) that Nintendo had to redesign their box art because of them, pasting a spiffy little “Only For DSi” label on the top left corner of the game box (how’s that for sticking it to the man?).

System Flaw is, in essence, a FPS. But instead of designing elaborate maps and quirky stages for you to explore, the game takes place in the scariest place imaginable for gamers such as myself—THE REAL WORLD (cue ominous music).

As you play System Flaw, you’ll see all the stuff around you on the DSi’s screen as it’s seen by the DSi’s outside camera (aka the one that faces other stuff than you when you play). Using the top buttons and twirling like a lunatic (see above gif for example), you shoot lasers at flying skulls and jellyfish looking things that attack you from all sides.

And you know what? The game’s pretty damn fun. I didn’t know what to expect when confronted with a “real world” FPS, but I do know that I liked what I saw. Storm City Games told me System Flaw has 100 levels, but didn’t mention whether it include a swivel chair (an accessory I definitely recommend for this game).

Source link - http://www.bingegamer.net/2009/hands-on-system-flaw/

Video he took and put on youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMCNbDcAsis

Apenheul

iamaustrian said:
it's not only you.
I rate all Final Fights above the SoRs.
FF2 is already great but FF3 is really THE brawler.
massive neogeo-size sprites, huge variety in moves(more than any other brawler), 2 player coop action, awesome soundtrack and SFX and great bosses.
hopefully it will be out before next year on VC

Yeah I agree Final Fight 3 is the best in the series, I still remember most of the music.

beelzebozo said:
i loved beat 'em ups too as a kid. you just convinced me to buy this bad boy.

I hope you'll have a good time playing FF2. The game really shines in 2-player coop on hard or expert difficulty.

Meesh

Anyone know what's up for release today, guesses? I suppose that new Castlevania is a long way off...

PacoDG said:
My friend was just at VGXPO (which turned out to be shit from what he tells me). .. anyways, he got to try out that "System Flaw" game for DSi

gickr.com_104bef20-63d5-2494-f9ab-188c9ad1e86e.gif

Source link - http://www.bingegamer.net/2009/hands-on-system-flaw/

Video he took and put on youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMCNbDcAsis

Hehe, I went there Friday and got to play the game, too.

It is, in fact, a retail title. It is quite fun, despite that, however. I happen to live, like, ten minutes from the publisher's location, so I might hit up some interview-y thing.

And I'd give my impressions of VGXPO, but this isn't the thread :p

AniHawk

Evilink said:
Anyone know what's up for release today, guesses? I suppose that new Castlevania is a long way off...

Probably LostWinds 2. The NISA game is probably pretty close to release.

Captain N

I never played the first lost winds, but i will be picking up(downloading) the second one.

I hear our wiiware game this week is GRAVITRONIX

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWNLOADABLE

Oct. 12, 2009

You can't change the laws of gravity, but with this week's lineup of downloadable games from Nintendo, you can give your fun quotient a high-flying boost. An exciting new Nintendo DSiWare™ release delivers lightning-fast pinball thrills with a mythological twist, while a vintage battle game brings classic action and intrigue to the Virtual Console™. On WiiWare™, you'll be mesmerized by a gravity-defying battle game with rich multi-player options. Take your pick and prepare for lift-off.

Nintendo DSiWare

Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon™
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Pinball takes on mythological proportions in this Nintendo DSiWare exclusive. Choose from two modes of play (Regular Game or Daily Game) and begin your journey to becoming a pinball champion. Conquer mythic quests, collect gifts from the 12 Olympians, and push your skills to the limit by facing Medusa, the Sirens and more. Your portable pinball table will give you a quick adrenaline rush as you watch the steel ball fly through ramps and carom off bumpers all over the playing field. Rack up combo points, open specific game modes and enlist the Oracle for some help. Will you accept Zeus's challenge?

Virtual Console

Final Fight™ 2
Original platform: Super NES™
Publisher: Capcom USA
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points™
Description: It's been several years since peace settled in Metro City. With Cody and Jessica on vacation and Guy resuming his training out of town, everything seems to be in order. But Haggar is feeling uneasy after learning that Mad Gear was not completely destroyed. Once again, the Mad Gear Gang has emerged, and this time they want revenge. They've kidnapped Guy's master, Genryusai, and Genryusai's daughter, Rena. Now Haggar must travel the globe in search of Genryusai and Rena. Hopefully, with the help of Maki and Carlos, the reign of the Mad Gear Gang will be destroyed.

WiiWare

Gravitronix
Publisher: Medaverse Studios
Players: 1-8
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: It's time to claim your rightful place as the champion of the Gravitronix arena, but get ready to deal with up to seven other players who are all shooting for the same title. Vanquish your opponents with four different projectiles and the powerful beams of your gravity platform. Intercept attacks and take careful aim at exposed vulnerabilities. Deflect incoming projectiles or capture and charge them with energy for devastating explosive attacks. Team up with a friend and battle through campaign mode, or recruit up to eight players on a single Wii™ system in versus mode for an all-out battle. Customize your matches with a variety of different options, such as flooding the arena with projectiles or making the game insanely fast. No matter how you like to play, grab your friends and have a blast.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi™ Shop and the Wii™ Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

VideoMan said:
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWNLOADABLE

Oct. 12, 2009

You can't change the laws of gravity, but with this week's lineup of downloadable games from Nintendo, you can give your fun quotient a high-flying boost. An exciting new Nintendo DSiWare™ release delivers lightning-fast pinball thrills with a mythological twist, while a vintage battle game brings classic action and intrigue to the Virtual Console™. On WiiWare™, you'll be mesmerized by a gravity-defying battle game with rich multi-player options. Take your pick and prepare for lift-off.

Nintendo DSiWare

Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon™
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Pinball takes on mythological proportions in this Nintendo DSiWare exclusive. Choose from two modes of play (Regular Game or Daily Game) and begin your journey to becoming a pinball champion. Conquer mythic quests, collect gifts from the 12 Olympians, and push your skills to the limit by facing Medusa, the Sirens and more. Your portable pinball table will give you a quick adrenaline rush as you watch the steel ball fly through ramps and carom off bumpers all over the playing field. Rack up combo points, open specific game modes and enlist the Oracle for some help. Will you accept Zeus's challenge?

Virtual Console

Final Fight™ 2
Original platform: Super NES™
Publisher: Capcom USA
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points™
Description: It's been several years since peace settled in Metro City. With Cody and Jessica on vacation and Guy resuming his training out of town, everything seems to be in order. But Haggar is feeling uneasy after learning that Mad Gear was not completely destroyed. Once again, the Mad Gear Gang has emerged, and this time they want revenge. They've kidnapped Guy's master, Genryusai, and Genryusai's daughter, Rena. Now Haggar must travel the globe in search of Genryusai and Rena. Hopefully, with the help of Maki and Carlos, the reign of the Mad Gear Gang will be destroyed.

WiiWare

Gravitronix
Publisher: Medaverse Studios
Players: 1-8
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: It's time to claim your rightful place as the champion of the Gravitronix arena, but get ready to deal with up to seven other players who are all shooting for the same title. Vanquish your opponents with four different projectiles and the powerful beams of your gravity platform. Intercept attacks and take careful aim at exposed vulnerabilities. Deflect incoming projectiles or capture and charge them with energy for devastating explosive attacks. Team up with a friend and battle through campaign mode, or recruit up to eight players on a single Wii™ system in versus mode for an all-out battle. Customize your matches with a variety of different options, such as flooding the arena with projectiles or making the game insanely fast. No matter how you like to play, grab your friends and have a blast.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi™ Shop and the Wii™ Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

The Pinball game is the only one I am interested in. It better be good, becuase this is a crap week otherwise! (One VC game again!? There's only one Wii Ware game as well, why the hell does NOA continue to limit VC releases when there aren't any other Wii Ware games to give the spotlight to?! IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY BUSINESS SENSE AT ALL!)

zigg

Cosmonaut X said:
Pinball Pulse? I wonder if the devs of MP Pinball (Fuse?) had a hand in that...

I was wondering the same thing myself. Being Nintendo-published, and given their preexisting relationship, maybe?

boo I wanted LostWinds 2

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The guy from Frontier said you guys would have to wait. We do too so suck it up.

ksamedi

I played trough Lost Winds 2 in almost one sitting. Had to stop for a while before continuing. Its such an excellent game. Much better than the first. I hope you guys get to experience it next week.

Watched a video of FF2. I like how Haggar had to do over a dozen spinning piledrivers just to kill the first boss.

It's gotta be better than part 1 at least.

The Hermit

I clicked this thread thinking to myself " welp at least there is Lost Winds 2, I really don't expect Cave Story anymore..."

Where the hell is LW 2?!!!
I think NOA has a internal game called " How to piss US Wi owners?" and they are too fucking good.

:mad:

Final Fight 2? Nice. Hopefully this will be the beginnings of some more SNES Capcom love on the VC (Demon's Crest, PLEASE). And with A Boy and His Blob releasing this week, the lack of Lost Winds 2 makes the disappointment a little less crushing.

GeekyDad

Jethro said:
*waiting for no Lost Winds 2 comments*

Meh, nobody gives a shit about that shovelware. We were all eagerly awaiting the arrival of Gravitronix, and now it's here. Woot!

zigg

SmokyDave said:
I don't know why I bother checking DSiWare :(

I haven't bought anything since the Artstyle games.

If Fuse did it, it's probably a good pinball game.

2wp7c5s.jpg
24bsscp.jpg
281eiox.jpg

(Though, "Daily Game"? What the...)

SmokyDave

zigg said:

Looks cool but A; I'm EU (Fucking region lock) and I bought Pinball Fantasies PSP Mini last week!

zigg said:

2wp7c5s.jpg
24bsscp.jpg
281eiox.jpg

Fuse seems like a likely candidate (I doubt that the entire company worked on that Carol Vordemon pedometer game) but they've been hit and miss so far. Super Mario Ball sucked big time, but Metroid Prime Pinball rocked, so we'll have to wait and see.

Top Bottom