• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with no digital event and presumably no other WiiU games or even 3DS games whatsoever are we still getting the Mother 3 announcement? By this time last year Nintendo had announced the NWC 2015 didn't they? We're not getting that this year either it seems.
I mean they can announce Mother 3 tomorrow or any random Nintendo Direct. Hell, Reggie could announce it during the Zelda showing in between segments lol

The NX being portable centered would also explain why they aren't hesitating to reveal the Wii U version of the new Zelda before the NX version - the NX version could end up looking the same or likely worse.
Could you imagine console Nintendo essentially disappearing? Because this here sounds like a basic NX worst case scenario for me by a huge long shot.

Pineconn

Too little too late at this point. PS4 Neo and the upgraded Xbox One will be out this year along side the VR revolution, no one will be buying the NX God knows when in 2017.

2016 was Nintendo's only chance of getting any sort of meaningful user base.

citation needed

(I know it was more than a few pages back and I'm sorry to bring it up again but...) Every time those god damn "Souls" games are brought up in these threads centering around Zelda I'm reminded of why I tend to skip LoZ topics on this forum...
...It's like trying to read someone justify why the Mass Effect games have been better Metroid games than Metroid, "They're both in space, the main characters wear power armor, there is backtracking, and you gotta shoot alienz! Nintendo should take notes cuz they're totally similar and I liked Mass Effect 2 more than I liked Prime 3!"
It's the shallowest shit ever.

Anyways, a lot of very successful, relevant, major publishers/devs don't go to E3 or have a really small presence outside of being a trophy game at Sony or MS's presentations.
E3 was always a thing that layman enthusiast and the enthusiast press put more stock into than it actually deserved.
They can always have their own huge blow-out event in the winter or near the NX's release date, and I'm pretty confident that it'll get just as much attention as a digital event or a software-heavy show floor at E3.

(I know it was more than a few pages back and I'm sorry to bring it up again but...) Every time those god damn "Souls" games are brought up in these threads centering around Zelda I'm reminded of why I tend to skip LoZ topics on this forum...
...It's like trying to read someone justify why the Mass Effect games have been better Metroid games than Metroid, "They're both in space, the main characters wear power armor, there is backtracking, and you gotta shoot alienz! Nintendo should take notes cuz they're totally similar and I liked Mass Effect 2 more than I liked Prime 3!"
It's the shallowest shit ever.

That's probably because Zelda started off as a revolutionary kind of action RPG and has since dropped almost all of those genre conventions, allowing them to be picked up and used to more satisfying effect in other games. Today, the revolutionary kind of action RPG is Souls.

It's not like the Mass Effect/Metroid comparison where Metroid is a shooter-platformer and Mass Effect is a shooter RPG, and the two games have nothing in common except for that you shoot at things in futuristic sci-fi settings; Zelda really was universally understood to be the same kind of game that Dark Souls is today - sword and sorcery, tomes that unlock magic spells, lots of different weapons to use against your foes, a large world with minimal direction and a story told through gameplay more than through cutscenes/dialogue. The biggest difference between the Souls and (NES) Zelda is that the world in Souls has a Metroidvania style design vs. Zelda's overworld/dungeons design.

What's "shallow" is people's understanding of the history of the Zelda series, why it was successful, and why it isn't as successful now.

Not

Banned
I don't think there's a chance they're going to put out a portable nontethered device that can play Zelda Wii U with no hiccups. Not at this point.

Taker666

They had nation-wide competitions going by this time last year didn't they? I really can't see it happening.

Nope. The Championships were only announced on May 13th last year...and the first contests were on May 30th.

Still, I doubt it's happening this year...if it was, I'd think it would have been announced at the same time as the Zelda Treehouse stream.

Not

Banned
Nope. The Championships were only announced on May 13th last year...and the first contests were on May 30th.

Still, I doubt it's happening this year...if it was, I'd think it would have been announced at the same time as the Zelda Treehouse stream.

ZELDA. ONLY.

Jawmuncher

I missed this. Geez they really are only showing zelda. At least I have Tokyo Mirage Sessions in June before my WiiU is dead in nintendo's eyes.

This may be the worst year for Nintendo on record as far as I've been a fan, crazy to think about. I understand them needing some time to refocus but I'm sure the fans are going to be placing a lot of pressure on their 2017 rollouts. It's not often you see a major player in a fast-moving industry literally take a 12 month vacation.

I hope hope hope that they're doing a massive re-brand and are launching into 2017 with guns blazing. I can't expect anything less at this point given this pullout. They've been in a creative rut for years now so I'm hoping this break serves them well in the long-term. :/

Toparaman

Banned
Too little too late at this point. PS4 Neo and the upgraded Xbox One will be out this year along side the VR revolution, no one will be buying the NX God knows when in 2017.

2016 was Nintendo's only chance of getting any sort of meaningful user base.
2016 would've been too early for most people to think of buying a brand new console. 2017 leaves enough time between the launch of the current gen of consoles that it makes NX appear to be more of a next gen console, rather than a weird in-between generations console. In fact, that's exactly what the Neo is. As long as the NX is revealed and detailed before the launch of the Neo, there's a likelihood that some will choose to pass on upgrading their PS4s in favor of waiting a few more months for a completely new console, provided the value proposition is appealing.

VR is coming out this year, but the "revolution" ain't. I've used PSVR. It's currently more akin to the novelty of the Wii than an actual revolution in gaming. At some point maybe VR is going to move beyond novelty, but I doubt it's happening this year, or even next year. The real challenge that the NX might face is not a revolution, but that the novelty factor of VR is enough to get the general public buying headsets rather than a new console. I'd argue the pricetag of VR may be a deterrent there.

What's "shallow" is people's understanding of the history of the Zelda series, why it was successful, and why it isn't as successful now.

(From what I've been able to gather, and I could be wrong) Twilight Princess sold better than Zelda 1, and was just as linear/structured as the likes of "Super Mario Galaxy 2" and was also quite narrative heavy.
In addition to that, Zelda 1 was an early experiment that was never meant to completely define what Zelda would become; the two sequels that followed it became a lot more structured, and obstacle course-centered. ALTTP basically laid the foundation for the design structure that would dominate the series all the way up till Skyward Sword.
I'm not sure why you're desperately running with this "Zelda waz more successful when it was an open world action-rpg!" narrative because it just isn't true.
Especially considering OoT sold much better than LoZ1 (on a console which performed much worse, and was practically on it's death bed) despite being narrative heavy- with cutscenes and the like-, more structured/linear, and mostly centered around obstacle courses/puzzle-gauntlets dressed up as ancient magical dungeons.
Oh also, lets not forget the fact that ALBW- the most open and action-y game since LoZ1, also released on a successful console- didn't exactly light up the charts; it's apparently hovering around the typical 1-3 million figure that LoZ games usually muster up (despite the well-deserved reverence the series has among enthusiast Zelda is kind of B to C-tier from a sales perspective)

The similarities you've pointed out in your post are shallow aesthetic parallels equivalent to the mock "Mass Effect and Metroid both have shooting, power armor, upgrades, aliens, and spaceships; they're totally similar!" argument. It's just dumb.

(From what I've been able to gather, and I could be wrong) Twilight Princess sold better than Zelda 1, and was just as linear/structured as the likes of "Super Mario Galaxy 2" and was also quite narrative heavy.

Twilight Princess sold during the era when cinematic games were starting to really break out (i.e. cutscenes and story were huge selling points), and I really doubt most people bought it with the understanding that it'd be a supremely linear game.

Also, Twilight Princess sold during an era where videogames were much, much more popular generally than they were in 1986. In 1986, Zelda was one of only a couple games that had ever broken 6 million LTD; in 2006, that crowd was much larger; since then, 6 million is expected for a franchise like Zelda coming from a publisher like Nintendo.

Zelda 1's 6.5 million sales are worth much more in the scope of the industry in 1986 than Twilight Princess's 8.5 million sales were worth in 2006. 8.5 million is definitely a good landmark for sales that proves that the sales decline the series saw with Wind Waker and others was the product of a vision that didn't match the tastes of players. That is, it shows that Zelda can grow in popularity in a by the numbers sense.

But Zelda is no longer the biggest fantasy franchise on the block. It lost that merit years ago.

In addition to that, Zelda 1 was an early experiment that was never meant to completely define what Zelda would become; the two sequels that followed it became a lot more structured, and obstacle course-centered. ALTTP basically laid the foundation for the design structure that would dominate the series all the way up till Skyward Sword.

I'd argue that Nintendo in general fails at executing on good ideas beyond the first couple iterations, and on top of that they never have any long term vision for any of their franchises - and certainly didn't plan any games that way in the 80s.

I'm not sure why you're desperately running with this "Zelda waz more successful when it was an open world action-rpg!" narrative because it just isn't true.

We don't know, because Nintendo hasn't made it one of those since the 80s.

We do know, however, that Zelda's relevance is fading while other open world/fantasy/WRPGs are flourishing, that the Zeldas that have sold well have all been closer to the cutting edge of the kinds of video game worlds that have been presented in action-based games, and that Nintendo sees the solution as being to make Zelda an open world game.

I think that if even Nintendo can admit that Zelda should be an open world games, maybe the fans should too.

Oh also, lets not forget the fact that ALBW- the most open and action-y game since LoZ1, also released on a successful console- didn't exactly light up the charts; it's apparently hovering around the typical 1-3 million figure that LoZ games usually muster up (despite the well-deserved reverence the series has among enthusiast Zelda is kind of B to C-tier from a sales perspective)

I'm of the opinion that ALBW is extremely overrated and deserved the sales it got.

The similarities you've pointed out in your post are shallow aesthetic parallels equivalent to the mock "Mass Effect and Metroid both have shooting, power armor, upgrades, aliens, and spaceships; they're totally similar!" argument. It's just dumb.

They are?

I'm arguing that Zelda and Dark Souls both have similar DNA as video games, not that they should be compared because of superficial aesthetic similarities.

I'm not saying that they're identical, either. Dark Souls is definitely far grittier, also takes some cues from Castlevania in terms of world design, and builds RPG elements much more extensively into its systems than 3D Zelda ever tried to.

But in terms of the dynamics of play - the idea that your reflexes are the primary determinant of skill, that you wander into a new area and you might get turned back because you can't beat the enemies, that you can find a new tool that will be really helpful against specific kinds of enemies, that your character is basically dropped into a chaotic world with very little direction, and even the level up system that's present in the game - all of that is right in line with Zelda 1 and Zelda 2.

Even though its world design parameters are way different, Dark Souls scratches the Zelda 1-2 perilous adventure itch better than any Zelda game has since Zelda 2.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sorry this took so long. Here's to a fun .gif season.

NrFQgd2.gif

iBlue

What a fucking shame Nintendo. I was really looking forward to your presentation this year expecting to know more NX, more games,etc. And know you only want to stream zelda?? you seriously are pushing all of us to other platforms(which i already bought them)

What a fucking shame Nintendo. I was really looking forward to your presentation this year expecting to know more NX, more games,etc. And know you only want to stream zelda?? you seriously are pushing all of us to other platforms(which i already bought them)
"All of us", hahaha.

ReyVGM

They will have their own stand alone conference before the end of the year. Patience is a Virtua.

finalflame

Are you fucking kidding me Nintendo? What. The. Fuck.

JUST when you think they couldn't POSSIBLY be any fucking shittier, they pull some hitherto UNTHINKABLE move and disappoint everyone.

Who the FUCK is running the show? The last 3 years have been absolutely disastrous. I can't even fucking fathom who thinks this shit is a good idea.

I am fucking beyond livid.

JUST when you think they couldn't POSSIBLY be any fucking shittier, they pull some hitherto UNTHINKABLE move and disappoint everyone.

Who the FUCK is running the show? The last 3 years have been absolutely disastrous. I can't even fucking fathom who thinks this shit is a good idea.

what did you expect them to show?

Sorry this took so long. Here's to a fun .gif season.

NrFQgd2.gif
That's pretty good. Funny movie, too.

I don't think a lot of people would agree with that.

You also just reminded me that one reason Nintendo decided to use my muppets last year was due to Iwata being on his last legs and no one wanted to see him like that. :(

BY2K

Membero Americo

3? 2014 was fantastic.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

I'm not disappointed. If the last 3 years of e3 were horrible for you, there's no saving you.

finalflame

I'm not disappointed. If the last 3 years of e3 were horrible for you, there's no saving you.

Nintendo has routinely disappointed and under-delivered for the last 3 years. Showing nothing but Zelda this year, with no Direct to speak of, is no exception.

Company has lost its mind and all direction. At this point, my hopes for the NX are null.

Over and out.

MomoQca

Nintendo has routinely disappointed and under-delivered for the last 3 years. Showing nothing but Zelda this year, with no Direct to speak of, is no exception.

Company has lost its mind and all direction. At this point, my hopes for the NX are null.

Over and out.

Nintendo isn't obligated to show their games at E3. That's what Nintendo Directs are for.

the only thing I could be upset about is having to find the money to upgrade a PS4 to NEO

Zelda NX was always a day 1 purchase no matter what the NX turned out to be

I do not expect the NX to hold fan/press attention specs-wise so a focus on Zelda is a good move for Nintendo

I just hope I like were Zelda U is headed I never finished Skyward Sword :(
this better deliver

MK_768

lol chill, boo

Over and out.

you are wasting your energy on the wrong company

they delivered the most fun I have had in this hobby the past few years E3 means nothing

Astral Dog

I really think the only way this whole plan has any chance of turning out well is if the NX is primarily portable based - as in, even the console unit if just a souped up portable.

The system will be coming too late against the PS4 and XOne, at a time where any 3rd party ports would be coming months after the launches of the original versions. So, they pretty much have no way to compete if they go in that direction. And then there's how developing for a PS4 level system and eventually a PSVita+ level handheld would just slow down their output to a crawl (like usual).

Unifying their software line up is their only chance of giving decent support to both future console and handheld. It'd also explain why they don't want to reveal the NX yet, since the NX reveal won't kill the moribund Wii U, it'll also hit their only biggest profit source right now, the 3ds. So, the further they can delay it and keep the 3ds active, the better for their immediate numbers. The NX being portable centered would also explain why they aren't hesitating to reveal the Wii U version of the new Zelda before the NX version - the NX version could end up looking the same or likely worse.
Dont be ridiculous

dtm808

No matter how good the game looks threads will be made and people will rage about X mechanic or X story element or X character looks terrible just like every Ninty game in recent years. Just expect the absolute worst reaction at this point. I have gotten used to it.

Cloud7

At first, I wasn't a fan of the NX skipping E3 but after thinking about it, I'm ok with it as long as Nintendo has their own showcase event in the future without distractions. They can grab all the headlines themselves that way. If Sony shows off PS4K NEO and if Microsoft shows off Xbox Scorpio then that might have been for the best.

I read the rumor about them showing off NX at Tokyo Game Show and I think that would be a worse mistake than skipping E3. A strong American showing is what the NX needs. They have to show it off during primetime US hours and not 4 AM EST or whatever the times usually are for the TGS. Sure, they are losing some market trust from Japan but they lost a lot more of that from North America. That is where the showcase needs to be.

MK_768

When the rest of the entre gaming industry does and you don't, that makes you tone deaf, not a special unique snowflake.

Tone deaf isn't exactly a bad thing. Apple does this and yet one could argue they are tone deaf.

Guess they are a special unique snowflake.

finalflame

Tone deaf isn't exactly a bad thing. Apple does this and yet one could argue they are tone deaf.

Guess they are a special unique snowflake.
Let's not compare the most valuable company in the world to Nintendo. They are not the same. Apple could throw a press event in a high school gym in South Dakota during a blizzard to announce a piece of wood and the international tech press wouldn't even bat an eye. The two are not even remotely the same.

Apple has routinely launched insanely successful products for the last 10 years. Nintendo has done nothing but falter for the last 3. Despite the critical success (and my personal enjoyment) of many WiiU games, it is a commercial failure.

BY2K

Membero Americo
When the rest of the entre gaming industry does and you don't, that makes you tone deaf, not a special unique snowflake.

In the case of E3, they're not the only ones skipping it and doing their own thing.

Sega doesn't have a booth
Activision doesn't have a booth
EA isn't there at all and doing their own thing.

AniHawk

ea and activision don't even have booths this year.

the video game industry is changing in a pretty rapid way. it really started in 2012 and it's been accelerating at a pretty noticeable pace. games media can't survive on games media, specialty stores are hurting, iterative consoles are a thing, digital platforms are growing in number and in size - the idea of having an event where just the press and industry insiders visit is becoming as outdated as other aspects of the video game industry. i think americans in particular are fairly sheltered from the change going on around them since the xb1 does well enough and the ps4 is trying to manage its best ps1 impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom