• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mit-

Well, guess I'll never get to play MKWii online. It has to be some kind of record for longest online servers kept up by the publisher for a title that was still selling at or near full price. My point of comparison is the EA/Activision approach of taking down servers 1-2 years after launch for games that cratered in price 3-6 months after launch.
Yeah I still haven't played my copy. Same with Animal Crossing.

Sad that I'm so far behind on my backlog that online servers are starting to actually go down for my unplayed games. I used to just worry that I'd never find anyone to play them with.

Sandfox

Hell, doing it for POKEMON is cause enough for outrage I feel. What the hell, it's crazy that's all going down when it's not even like the Wii and DS are long dead platforms. Pokemon White and Black 2 are just over a year old, and will be about one and a half years by the time this happens. That's like an EA Sports title shutdown, worse maybe.

B2W2 are almost 2 years old and its probably being assumed that most players have moved on to XY or will after the DS services are disabled.

WTF!? I hate when companies do this, it's false advertising when you buy a game and the online doesn't work.

The DS and Wii(in Japan) were discontinued a long time ago so I don't think that's too big of a concern for them.

Oreoleo

Eight years later, use vs. maintenance cost, increase value proposition of new games and consoles?

I mean, I guess. It is just shocking to me seeing like 6 pokemon games get wiped out in one fell swoop. DS was huge, doesn't feel like it's that far removed from popular mindshare to warrant this yet.

And as someone else mentioned I thought the majority of these games were p2p and wouldn't have that much upkeep cost. I think you are probably on the money in regards to wanting to increase value proposition for newer releases.

If I transfer from D/P to B/W2 locally using my DS and 3DS and then from B/W to X/Y using the Bank/Transporter that should be fine right?

Absolutely.

You only need Nintendo's Wi-Fi connection to trade online from DS games in the same line-up. Transferring to different gens locally does not need the Wi-Fi connection. Using the Transporter for B/W to XY uses Nintendo Network, like all 3DS games. No Wi-fi connection needed as well.

Dear Nintendo,

Most companies shut down servers for dead games but keep them up for active games. You should try that sometime instead of just shutting down all the servers at the same time.

Sincerely,
A Lot of People

That said, Mario Kart Wii CTGPR will probably figure out a solution. Everything else is probably a goner though, including vanilla MKWii.

Eusis

B2W2 are almost 2 years old and its probably being assumed that most players have moved on to XY or will after the DS services are disabled.
October 2012 release, in the states anyway. And that's part of why I cited EA sports games: welp new game's out move the fuck on we're shutting the old ones down.
Dear Nintendo,

Most companies shut down servers for dead games but keep them up for active games. You should try that sometime instead of just shutting down all the servers at the same time.

Sincerely,
A Lot of People

That said, Mario Kart Wii CTGPR will probably figure out a solution. Everything else is probably a goner though, including vanilla MKWii.
Admittedly my guess is that the servers cover everything, so it really is all-or-nothing. I do need to finish up Layton 3 though then get the puzzles for 4 before its too late.

Oh, man. I remember when I bought that terrible Nintendo USB dongle to be able to play Mario Kart DS online. That was ages ago. Back then I didn't even know what a router was.

There won't be any crow left in 3014.

Robotic crow then.

And I bought the dongle too - what a waste of money that was. It ended up not working with the 64-bit version of Vista, yet was advertised as Vista compatible. They didn't bother with a patch because not long after they removed it from sale.

Elija2

This is kinda bullshit. Lots of people still play games like Mario Kart and Pokemon online. They can't keep the online up for a couple titles only? Do they really have to shut it down for everything?

I guess this also means that playing online in mods like Project M and CTGP will no longer be possible too. This really hurts those mod communities.

shink

Yeah, this should be good.

Absolutely.

You only need Nintendo's Wi-Fi connection to trade online from DS games in the same line-up. Transferring to different gens locally does not need the Wi-Fi connection. Using the Transporter for B/W to XY uses Nintendo Network, like all 3DS games. No Wi-fi connection needed as well.

Great! Thanks =] I only recently purchased SS and Platinum for trading purposes so if I couldn't do that I don't know what I'd do. I thought it might be the case but just wanted to make sure haha

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So there's a 0% chance that they are only doing this for Japan right?

Apparently not.

Guess it's time to get hacked Japanese Pokemon from the Global Trade Station ASAP to finish my Gen 4-5 'dex by catching Bidoof if people are generous and going to give them away like candy?

The announcements don't mention it, but it also prevents accessing online mode of Wii/DS games using the Wii U/3DS' backwards compatibility mode, right?

evanmisha

We need a Last Story online play revival when this gets announced for NA. I had so much fun with it, but it's deserted as is.

Had a blast posting my best scores to the leader boards on Sin and Punishment too. I spent a solid couple of weeks trying to master the first stage on 'Normal' mode, and managed to reach number 1 named after a Starfox character, ha ha. Closest thing to a Starfox on the system.

i don't give a hoot about brawl, i mean all people do on that game is put their characters on the edge of a map, idle and spam taunt for 2 minutes on every match consecutively , if you decide to fight and actually play the game the other 3 players will most likely turn the match into a 3vs1 gang bang. wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with smash bros wii u online

I guess this also means that playing online in mods like Project M and CTGP will no longer be possible too. This really hurts those mod communities.
The CTGPR guys have talked about what they'll do when the MKWii servers go down before. They said they would figure something out and they're more than capable of doing that.

They might have to ask for donations at some point though.

Toad.T

Banned
Doesn't WarioWare DIY allow for minigame downloads through WFC? I know it does regarding ones made by developers, but I'm mostly referring to ones made by consumers.

Also, is it possible to download all the DLC puzzles for a Layton game at once? I'm not sure how many I have for Village/Box and haven't even started on Future/Specter.

Orayn

Though this doesn't affect me right now, I've had some good times with online Nintendo games and it's sad to see them go.

Also, as someone who spent a lot of time online growing up, it's almost heart-wrenching to see internet communities disappear. There were probably people who played these games online every day, and now that connection to the world is gone.

This is one of the reasons PC gaming matters to me a lot: If code for the servers is either released or reverse engineered, online games can be rendered immortal.

Tablo

Though this doesn't affect me right now, I've had some good times with online Nintendo games and it's sad to see them go.

Also, as someone who spent a lot of time online growing up, it's almost heart-wrenching to see internet communities disappear. There were probably people who played these games online every day, and now that connection to the world is going to disappear.

This is one of the reasons PC gaming matters to me a lot: If code for the servers is either released or reverse engineered, online games can be rendered immortal.

My feeling exactly. Its just depressing,

This is actually a very stupid plan considering the install base on the Wii U is so small in comparison.

This is 9 days before Mario Kart 8 comes out. It certainly appears very timed to encourage people still playing MKW online to make the jump over to the supported system.

This is actually a very stupid plan considering the install base on the Wii U is so small in comparison.

That's probably one of the reasons. Active community for Mario Kart Wii? Kill it ten days before MK8 comes out. If you want your fix, you know where to get it.

edit: Streeeeeeeeets!

Shinypogs

I was just getting ready to buy a bunch of the ds pokemon games, and I was looking forward to being able to use the online features :(

Elija2

I wonder how many people still play the Zelda DS games online. I might play those games one more time before the servers go down.

Of course, it will be a hassle due to the fact that I'll have to change my WiFi security to WEP just to play DS games online.

Eusis

There've been strides for console games (I half expect the vast majority of Wiis in the next few years that are actively used will be homebrew'd) but yeah, PC's simply the easiest to deal with. Ultima Online may well outlive every other MMO for this reason alone whether or not EA ever shut down the official servers.

consoul

*sound of incoming blue shell*
/takes off sunglasses

I can't deal with it.

MKWii online is still played daily in my house. There are always tons of players worldwide. You know who all those people still playing MK online are? They're the people who really love Mario Kart. The people who already want MK8. The people who've been waiting for it to come out so they'd have a reason to buy a WiiU. They don't need a kick in the nuts to make them do it. Never being able to go back to MKWii online is a kick in the nuts.

:(

Cody_D165

Banned
Holy fuck.

RIP. I have fond memories of the first time I took Mario Kart DS online in a goddamn McDonald's because I didn't have home broadband internet access at the time. Shit was magical.

Winning games of Tetris DS, taking out opponents in Mario Strikers, using the GTS for the first time, downloading the newest Layton puzzles, sharing microgames in WarioWare, and visiting friends' towns in Animal Crossing... I don't even play these games anymore but it just feels wrong to imagine a world where we can't do these things ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom