• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo explains WiiU online, makes little sense, doesn't actually say anything

CoffeeJanitor said:
Pretty much this I think.

A lot of people think that since the EA guy talked at the press conference that they were doing Nintendo's online for them or something.
You gotta take the good with the bad...

You know there is a difference between being "realistic" and being "pessimistic".

Opiate said:
Why is this revelation considered "confusing?" I'm actually confused by the confusion. It seems fairly straightforward to me: Nintendo is saying that they are not making an online network, and that they are letting third parties make their own networks on the platform.

I mean this honestly: why is that not very clearly what has been said? Is it because people don't want it to be true, or because other, contradicting statements have cast doubt on the very straightforward statements made in the OP of this thread?

What makes it hard to believe is that they're supposed to be targeting the core gamer. It's hard to see how they're doing that if they aren't doing the bare minimum of what's expected from a console when it comes to its online network.

bgassassin said:
You know there is a difference between being "realistic" and being "pessimistic".
I guess. I'm super pessimistic by nature so a lot of the wishful thinking gets to me.

I guess I'm just a Grinch.

CoffeeJanitor said:
I guess. I'm super pessimistic by nature so a lot of the wishful thinking gets to me.

I guess I'm just a Grinch.

Well even through your "pessimism" you haven't made outlandish claims from it. Those are the claims I don't care for. I won't debate/criticize anyone for having concern for Nintendo's online capabilities when they look at it from the past. It's when they try to say they are screwing up again based on the lack of info that I have an issue with. We won't know if they screwed up until we see what they've implemented.

I'm close to losing all interest in this console.

You simply can't expect to launch a successful console in 2012 without a comprehensive online system. It is simply unacceptable.

More stock freefalling incoming on Monday.

Dreams-Visions said:
I'm close to losing all interest in this console.

You simply can't expect to launch a successful console in 2012 without a comprehensive online system. It is simply unacceptable.

More stock freefalling incoming on Monday.
Now this right here is ridiculous. Dude, the console doesn't release for probably 1.5 years, not to mention a few years down the line from that.

Much too early to judge

789shadow

Banned
I'm sorry, that all sounded like business speak. Where do people even get the slightest idea they said anything concrete about their online system?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
CoffeeJanitor said:
Now this right here is ridiculous. Dude, the console doesn't release for probably 1.5 years, not to mention a few years down the line from that.

Much too early to judge

In the strictest terms it is ridiculous to leap to such absolute conclusions so soon, based on what's in the relevant article.

However, the reactions also demonstrate why it's vital for Nintendo to stop screwing up their reveal of Wii U and set a lot of records straight: the public is now extremely biased against believing Nintendo has even a chance of competency in the online arena. Any press that doesn't bend over backwards to prove public perception wrong, is going to be interpreted in the worst possible terms by most.

I take that comment back, as I was talking about the console in general and not the online system. If he is expecting a good online system then they system might not be for him.

CoffeeJanitor said:

Much too early to judge

See what I mean.

Bert

Kaijima said:
In the strictest terms it is ridiculous to leap to such absolute conclusions so soon, based on what's in the relevant article.

However, the reactions also demonstrate why it's vital for Nintendo to stop screwing up their reveal of Wii U and set a lot of records straight: the public is now extremely biased against believing Nintendo has even a chance of competency in the online arena. Any press that doesn't bend over backwards to prove public perception wrong, is going to be interpreted in the worst possible terms by most.

Thing is Nintendo couldn't care less about the people on this site. Their target audience are people who don't even know Wii U exists yet, or have just heard that there's a new Nintendo console. Hence no specs, etc.

They will announce things when they are good and ready and not a minute sooner. It has a lot of bad side effects, and it's annoying as hell, but it's how they roll.

bidaum

Seems kind of like Ninetndo can't really reconcile what they want to be with their company's size and the direction of the rest of the industry. They seem to really just want to be toy makers... grudgingly giving in to online etc.

A few more details

"I think now almost every home has wi-fi or broadband. It's a universal truth that everybody is connected online and that wasn't the case when the Wii came out five years ago.

"If you look at 3DS and the online of that you'll get an understanding of where we're going with Wii U and we're taking that even further.

"We can't talk about the details yet as Mr Iwata will announce those slightly later. But with the online of 3DS it's obviously a massive leap on from where we were with DSi and DSi XL. It's smooth, robust, it doesn't drop in and out.

"The friend code system has also been refined. It still exists but in the same way that you'd need to pair up with friends on PSN or Xbox live. Now it's much closer to that kind of online gaming experience than what it was before.

"We always try and strike a balance. Because we do have more younger consumers than any other hardware manufacturer or games brand we need to protect them while also making it as accessible as possible for the more active and hardcore consumers to go online.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-13-wii-u-3ds-online-closer-to-psn-xbl

Lan_97

3DS online is incredibly robust with features like: messaging, groups, friend invites, game invites, achievements, and player profiles.

Oh wait.

Xun

The friend code system has also been refined. It still exists but in the same way that you'd need to pair up with friends on PSN or Xbox live. Now it's much closer to that kind of online gaming experience than what it was before.
He's referring to the 3DS right?

RIGHT?

Xun said:
He's referring to the 3DS right?

RIGHT?
yes.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the Friendcodes IF they would allow adding friends online in a game and send requests. The code would be like a phone number and is more easy to transmit than IDs like "$hÄd0W~W4rR1Or_90"

Has anyone actually defined what a "unified system" is yet? Because if someone said "There is no unified system" my first thought would be "There is no unified friend code/username/friendlist", and yet that is exactly what the 3DS and the Wii U is guaranteed to have.
I just think they're referring to a feature set and that they're not going to dictate what this must include to third parties, but built in top will be the standard features we expect based on current consoles (communication options, invites etc).

nightside said:
right.

Why am I afraid that for their (next?) online service Nintendo still don't have a clue about what to do?
Because outside of their own games they've never had a great console wide online experience and they're giving out incredible confusing messages on what they'll be doing going forward. I think at the moment they just don't have anything concrete in place and are being purposefully vague.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wrestlemania said:
Has anyone actually defined what a "unified system" is yet?
I think the point made there is that they won't have an "one size fits all" system rather than no centralised backend whatsoever. Instead they're looking at what publishers actually want out of it and trying to develop a structure that can support their needs. That's the claim anyway.

Vinci

Danish
Alextended said:
I think the point made there is that they won't have an "one size fits all" system rather than no centralised backend whatsoever. Instead they're looking at what publishers actually want out of it and trying to develop a structure that can support their needs. That's the claim anyway.

What I'm picturing is almost like how some website hosts have templates that you can use, certain widgets and features that can be assembled anywhere you like - while also allowing other users to completely develop the page however they want. I still feel that Nintendo is attempting to find a way to make 3rd parties happy without opening itself up to lawsuits, so I feel this 'customizable' approach - in which 3rd parties can update their game's DLC, patches, etc. whenever and however they like built on top of Nintendo's foundation - would have something involved that states along the following lines: "Ubisoft is responsible for any and all content, images, text, videos, and so forth appearing on this page."

In essence, what I'm picturing is that Nintendo is going to allow more freedom by basically taking itself out of the update process, and thus remove any liability on its part.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Bert said:
Thing is Nintendo couldn't care less about the people on this site. Their target audience are people who don't even know Wii U exists yet, or have just heard that there's a new Nintendo console. Hence no specs, etc.

They will announce things when they are good and ready and not a minute sooner. It has a lot of bad side effects, and it's annoying as hell, but it's how they roll.

When I say public, I mean just that - not NeoGAF.

Perhaps it isn't clear to everyone, but the general core console gaming public - the alleged mass of average male 18-35 year old gamers Nintendo claims they want back - pretty much uniformly thinks Nintendo is a joke company that happens to have 1 or 2 megahit games.

Literally everyone I have talked to, every average console gamer who plays the CoDs and the Rockstar and the Bioware AAA games, believes Nintendo is done for. Everyone thinks they are "Japanese and don't use the Internet". That they don't care at all about these people, the people who Nintendo just said at E3 they want to accommodate.

I believe this is why, when Nintendo makes their typically circular non-statements about their plans, the average gamer is biased towards interpreting that as they have no plan and have given up with online before the system has even launched.

Another dangerous scenario not yet discussed a lot is that Nintendo could make different kind of mistake. They have bad habit of launching incomplete products and rolling out features, or games that take advantage of what should be selling points, six months to a year later. The 3DS never, ever should have launched without the e-shop and still more features they haven't put in yet, like friends list messaging and game invites. They let the Wii sit for a year or more before even addressing the most basic problems with Wiiware storage and improving the online store.

If Nintendo does have a respectable online plan for Wii U, they also cannot afford to act like Nintendo with it. If Wii U launches with what is now their typically tepid effort, and they're silent, unresponsive, and slow to roll out features and updates... it will just prove to the public that Nintendo sucks and Wii U is worthless. Even if they do have the features in the pipeline.

All this does, I suspect, boil back down to Nintendo not having the capacity to handle a robust online and network-rich environment internally, no matter how much money they're sitting on. They've got a year and a half to ramp up, but at this point I'm starting to think maybe it would be better if they just like, threw money at a partner and asked them to handle Dat Internet for them.

Top Bottom