• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo financial briefing Q&A: the future of 3DS and Wii U

Kazerei

Banned
English transcript

Some highlights I found interesting. Sorry for the massive text dump, but it was hard to decide how to trim it.

About software release scheduling and the droughts:

As for your second question, just as you pointed out, offering software one after another is a never-ending challenge we have to try to overcome. We failed to offer strong software titles without long intervals in the first half of this year, but it was not because we did not place importance on offering them one after another. Even when we understand the significance of this, we are sometimes unable to do so. We should have prepared a more thorough backup plan. We were planning to launch software in the first half of this year without too many intervals. However, we ended up delaying the launches of multiple software titles, and we could not make up for it. Around the same time, the third-party titles did not become huge hits, either.

For us to provide software titles one after another, one idea is, “Isn’t it possible for Nintendo to stock some of its software titles instead of launching them as soon as the development is completed?” Video games need to stay fresh, so it is not practical for us to put them on hold for too long, but we think that some of them may be held for a certain amount of time so that there will be a short interval between when they are completed and when they are launched. We are taking on this sort of challenge for the Nintendo 3DS. For example, when we look at the software lineup for the year-end sales season, it is so dense that, if we added any more software, the total sales would not increase. Accordingly, we have intentionally delayed the launch of some software titles to early next year.

Another idea is for us to further intensify our collaborations with the software developers and the third-party publishers. When we launched the Nintendo DS and the Wii, Nintendo made some very unique proposals which were not in alliance with the mainstream concepts held in the video game industry at that time. As a result, there was no choice but for us to invigorate these platforms through Nintendo’s own efforts so that they could be up and running. And, the initial purchasers of the products were mainly Nintendo fans. Particularly in Japan, for the Wii, we struggled to create the circumstance early on where third-party Wii titles sold in huge volumes. Because we could not show a good sales record for third-party Wii titles, third-party developers did not sustain their passion to create software for the Wii. In the overseas markets, there have been a number of third-party hit titles on the Wii. However, there was also a challenge that the Wii was not fully capable of catering to the needs of, for example, first person shooter games, the users of which prefer platforms compatible with HD TVs. For these challenges, we will be able to improve the situation with the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS. In fact, a number of software publishers and developers have recognized this fact and have started working on their software in a variety of ways. Overall, I think that we will be able to establish an environment where we will not repeat the same mistake that strong titles were not released until about six months after the launch of the hardware.

About the generational transitions, and collaborations:

Let me first explain the reason for the software shortage. As you just pointed out, the period when we needed to shift from the Nintendo DS to the Nintendo 3DS overlapped with the period when we had to prepare for the Wii U. If there had been no overlap, or if there had been a three or four year interval, Nintendo could have focused upon just one new hardware system while also taking care of two existing platforms. However, as we have had to take care of two existing platforms and two new ones, it has been more of a challenge. We need to face these hardware transitions from time to time, but the intervals between these transitions are not fixed. The Nintendo DS, for example, has been able to maintain a large presence in the market for a relatively long period of time, which has resulted in a huge installed base of the hardware and an unprecedented number of software sales in the history of portable video games. So, it is not a good idea that we stick with past product cycles. But we think it is true that the longevity of the Nintendo DS has created this challenging aspect for us today.

In such a circumstance, we are more conscious that we must once again re-think how we can create a good balance between what we do internally at Nintendo and what can be done externally. Looking back, certain experiences enabled by the Nintendo DS and the Wii were created just because Nintendo took on these challenges internally, and these experiences were able to drive the overall sales of these platforms. Nintendo was fortunate to have that kind of successful experience. Although I try not to use the term “success” at all, and particularly for this kind of opportunity, but this time I’d like to use this expression. With the experience of success, we tended to have the mindset that it would be the safest and most secure if we took care of everything by ourselves. As I said, however, the time always comes when we must prepare for the next platform. When that time comes, rather than trying to do everything by ourselves, we must try to narrow down what we really have to do inside the company and think of how we can best collaborate with people from other companies. For example, the teams led by Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo’s Entertainment Analysis & Development Division have already been cooperating with external developers in order to create titles which would have been developed internally at Nintendo in the past. Now that we realize there may be times when we need to take care of four platforms at once, we are initiating these new challenges, and I believe that such a fixed notion as, “we have to do everything by ourselves,” has faded inside the company to a large degree. So, I am expecting the situation to further improve from now. On a similar note, we often receive criticism that Nintendo is not good at deploying its services on the Internet. We are also internally discussing whether it is the best use of our development resources if those developers who are capable of making hit video game titles have to devote themselves to Nintendo’s Net-related services. Our basic idea today is that our internal game developers should focus on making new, unique and fun software while we collaborate with outside resources, especially in the fields for which Nintendo is not specialized in.

About the 3DS overseas this holiday, and Mario is kiddy in Japan?

As for your next question, I can understand the sentiment that, while the Japanese market can look forward to “Monster Hunter 3(Tri)G," the overseas markets do not have such a title and the two Mario software titles alone may not be able to appeal to a sufficiently wide consumer base. On the other hand, I feel that this sort of question is often asked only in Japan.

To give you some background information, I understand that Mario had a rather childish image in Japan. I recall that it was my second year as the president of Nintendo, when we did research on Japanese consumers which showed us the result that they have this childish image of Mario. Of course, we really appreciate the fact that our characters are loved by children. On the other hand, it does not make us happy if adult consumers say that Mario is childish. They felt that our products were too childish to be relevant, which was the issue we needed to work on. I believe that the situation surrounding this image has largely changed. Initially, our research in Japan suggested that 3D Mario was childish but that the original 2D Mario, who was drawn in the NES era as a group of pixels, was cool. The company tackled this issue in various ways at such occasions as the 20th anniversary campaigns for the Japanese launch of NES and by the reintroduction of the original “Super Mario Bros." game for Game Boy Advance. Such efforts led to the smash hit of “New Super Mario Bros." for the Nintendo DS. This title became the first huge-hit Mario game in a while in Japan since the original “Super Mario Bros." game. From this sales result, we can say that Mario has become a franchise which can be accepted by both adults and children.

These graphs are from the slides used at the Financial Results Briefing on May 8, 2009.
However, there still is an age group which shows less support for our offers in Japan, and they are male junior-high, high-school and college students. So, when you look at the age-demographic charts of our consumers in Japan, it looks like the back of a two-humped camel. Namely, there is a significant number of users in the children’s age demographic but a dint in the high-school and college student age groups and then the number of our consumers increases once again in the adult demographic. “Monster Hunter 3(Tri)G" must appeal with great affinity to that group of consumers, and I believe you can appreciate that. Now to your question of, “Will Nintendo be ok without a title that is the equivalent of Monster Hunter in the overseas markets?", I should first confirm that there is not such a dent in the U.S. and Europe.

In other words, the phenomena that consumers show less interest in Mario during their junior-high, high-school and college years can be observed only in Japan. Of course, adding software which is inherently different from Mario games must add to the solid software lineup for the Nintendo 3DS in the upcoming year-end sales season, but since Mario action games and the Mario Kart series have been welcomed by most age demographics there without the similar dents as in Japan, I do not think that the overseas sales will not go well because of the absence of a software title like the Monster Hunter software. In Japan, regarding the age demographic (to which Nintendo has attracted less attention than other demographics), Nintendo software and Capcom’s “Monster Hunter 3(Tri)G" will supplement each other in order to generate strong appeal overall, while in overseas markets it’s our expectation that the two titles of “Super Mario 3D Land" and “Mario Kart 7" will be widely accepted in terms of age demographics. Needless to say, we are making efforts to prepare a wider software lineup, including software with a charm not typically provided by Nintendo, in order to satisfy the needs of many different consumers. Please understand, however, that if anyone has the notion that the absence of Monster Hunter will create a less enthusiastic market condition in the overseas markets than in Japan, it is different from my belief.

About smartphone and social gaming:

One impression we have as a result of reading articles on Nintendo recently is that these articles are confusing the effect of social games and the effect of smartphones and discussing them together although they are two different subjects which must be discussed separately. For example, the majority of social games, which have expanded in Japan, are not available on smartphones today. The fact is, the majority of such games are played on multi-functional cell phones that we Japanese often and uniquely call “Galapagos Cell Phones" or, more recently, “Feature Phones." It appears these two different devices are mixed together in their arguments.

Regarding the effect of so-called “social games," it seems that so many people believe in the causal relationship between the decline in Nintendo’s business performance and the rapid expansion of social games just because these two events have happened simultaneously. On the contrary, we do not believe that they are a big factor in our slower performance today. Since I have repeatedly explained about this in this type of opportunity (*), I do not intend to repeat the same explanations but, as we continue our research even after making such an explanation, we have never found any research data which show any meaningful differences in the attitude towards or in the frequency of playing with the Nintendo’s handheld game systems as a result of playing with social games. Accordingly, we have to think that there are no causal relationships. Game businesses are largely affected by the availability of a hit title. At the upcoming year-end sales season, where we have multiple software titles which have the potential to become hits one after another, we believe that we can pull the trend to our side. We really want to show a year-end sales result that can more effectively communicate to a number of people that the growth of social games has no causal relation with Nintendo’s performance.

Next, about smartphones. Smartphones in Japan have entered into a cycle of rapid expansion this year. In the U.S. such a trend was found earlier. Among younger generations in particular, smartphones have become the contemporary must-have items, and it has become rather common for us to switch to smartphones at the time we need to exchange our existing cell phone for another. With smartphones, you can play games without purchasing a dedicated game system, and these games are offered either free of charge or at extremely low prices. In this regard, there is no doubt that the bar has been raised higher than before for us to encourage consumers to spend several thousands of yen for a video game in Japan.

However, approximately a decade ago, a number of people used to say exactly the same thing. Namely, they said that, with the ability of cell phones back then being able to run a variety of software applications, dedicated handheld game systems would not be purchased any more. The fact is, their forecast has not become a reality. This time, the basic structure is the same. Nintendo has been recognizing that video game systems are something that consumers are obliged to buy in order to play with the software they want to enjoy. Therefore, the most critical thing for us is to periodically propose software that can encourage people to have the mindset of, “I really want to play it." The circumstance surrounding us has not changed in this regard. On the contrary, we now have a means to communicate our information rather effectively to our consumers directly. So, as I said today, we are currently considering how we can best take advantage of this media, and our attempt to put Nintendo eShop on the Web is one of such efforts.

As for the opinion that game dedicated handheld devices are not needed any more as long as you have a smartphone, I cannot say that no one holds such a belief; however, the results of our research have not shown any meaningful differences between the game play attitudes of consumers that do own smartphones from those who do not. Accordingly, as long as the Nintendo 3DS can offer gaming experiences that can not be realized on smartphones, and if they are attractive enough, we can ask our consumers to purchase the Nintendo 3DS. The important thing for us is to make these proposals by taking advantage of our position of being able to make unique offers based upon the integration of both hardware and software as we are making both.

So far, as I have made these explanations based upon Nintendo’s own research, I was concerned that you might not feel that they have strong credibility. Accordingly, I would like to introduce you to some different data (which was reported to us from Nintendo of America) today. In the United States, there is an organization called the Entertainment Software Association or ESA for short, which is similar to what CESA (Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association) is in Japan. They are the industry body for a group of entertainment software developers. Every year, ESA conducts a survey regarding interactive entertainment hardware and software. What you can see now is some of their research results of this past April, showing whether or not people are playing more video games in comparison to three years ago.

[Ed: I cut out Iwata's description of the survey results]

The survey result does not support the generally-conceived notions that, now that the digital age has come, people are buying less packaged software for dedicated video game systems and that they will be willing to buy less of them from now on. Overall, there is no doubt that the importance of digital business is increasing in the industry. However, the situation is not as simple as that the packaged software sales will decrease and digital distribution will increase or that the lifespans of dedicated game systems are coming to an end and general-purpose devices are the future. Our consumers are not showing such a trend. What the industry will look like 20 years from today may be a different story. But as far as the ongoing trend is concerned, I do not think that our understanding of the overall game industry and consumer attitudes is greatly different from the reality. I thought that the survey results I have just shown you could prove our point, so I used this opportunity to share them with you.

dwu8991

Banned
I like the fact that they acknowledged the need for HD. I'm okay with wii but I was disapointed that they didn't come out with a Wii HD.

I was wondering why it took you awhile to make the thread. :p

I'm glad Iwata reiterated the focus on adapting to what Western gamers want. The West is where the home console will be most successful.

Thoraxes

What intrigues me the most is that he said that even 6 months is too long to have some harder-hitting titles for their system and they need to be available sooner.

Very curious as to what the Wii U launch line-up and E3 will look like this year now. We know what's too long in his eyes, now lets see how they remedy it.

Also the Wii users chart was very interesting as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm hoping like fuck statements like "not fully capable of catering to the needs of, for example, first person shooter games" does not result in your typical dumb publisher bullshit of trying to create or acquire something appeals to a very specific group of people, and I'm going to call these people the Call of Duty crowd.

A lot of this is misplaced cynicism and worry over something that would be incredibly unexpected from Nintendo, but I have this weird looming feeling they'll try and create or seek out their own 'Call of Duty', which would be a disaster in the making and is always the worst possible thing a publisher can do.

Hypothetically, if Nintendo wants to cater to this market, they need to make or invest in something special, something different. They need their Halo; a shooter that looks and plays like nothing else on the market, yet still manages to captivate that audience, not 'clone' software or a Call of Duty wannabe.

This has an off topic irrational EatChildren rant. You're welcome.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
EatChildren said:
I'm hoping like fuck statements like "not fully capable of catering to the needs of, for example, first person shooter games" does not result in your typical dumb publisher bullshit of trying to create or acquire something appeals to a very specific group of people, and I'm going to call these people the Call of Duty crowd.

A lot of this is misplaced cynicism and worry over something that would be incredibly unexpected from Nintendo, but I have this weird looming feeling they'll try and create or seek out their own 'Call of Duty', which would be a disaster in the making and is always the worst possible thing a publisher can do.

Hypothetically, if Nintendo wants to cater to this market, they need to make or invest in something special, something different. They need their Halo; a shooter that looks and plays like nothing else on the market, yet still manages to captivate that audience, not 'clone' software or a Call of Duty wannabe.

They're speaking of third party publishers and developers in that paragraph.

Red UFO

EatChildren said:

I don't think so - I know the example he used was a pretty scary one but I think he just meant he knows that the Wii just wasn't enough to deliver what certain groups wanted. I'm sure he's thinking about big RPG's, third person games like Assassin's Creed, etc. too.

jman2050

EatChildren said:

Eh, I thought the statement was clearly "we want developers to make FPSes on our system" and not "we want to make FPS games for our system"

Also this really should go without saying but I guess some people need it spelled out for them, but Nintendo demonstrates that their impressions on the social games/smartphone market certainly isn't some sort of blind faith.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I know.

I lost my marbles.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
jman2050 said:
Eh, I thought the statement was clearly "we want developers to make FPSes on our system" and not "we want to make FPS games for our system"

Also this really should go without saying but I guess some people need it spelled out for them, but Nintendo demonstrates that their impressions on the social games/smartphone market certainly isn't some sort of blind faith.

THEY'RE WRONG
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEEEEDDDDDDD

I'll gladly read it now. :D

MisterHero

EatChildren said:

They did it once with the 1st Goldeneye and sorta with the recent game, but yeah it doesn't really help now.

I thought Geist was very unique but even with a perfectly-executed sequel and match all the customizable nuances of all the current popular FPSes, it would probably still struggle with finding an audience.

Another example would probably be Battalion Wars. It's really fun and shares similar gameplay (while adding its own strategy elements) with Star Wars Battlefront but none of the brand power (even amongst Advance Wars fans).

Yeah I'd rather get them to license Star Wars and get both Rogue Squadron and Battlefront exclusive. Or maybe combine them, lol.

EatChildren

Man, I'm totally with you on Geist and Battalion Wars. A better higher budget and polished Geist would be sublime, as would something like Battalion Wars, but yeah, I don't think either has the ability to cash in on that market. I do agree they had it with GoldenEye though, but that was a different era.

And as cool as Star Wars is, it's in their best interest to create something new. It would help them to have an exclusive, unique shooter franchise that is iconic to their hardware. Rare filled a lot of the gaps and gave them new IPs during the N64 era, but they're yet to get anyone to fill the gaps.

Make it so, Nintendo.

Kazerei

Banned
Overall I like how honest Iwata was about Nintendo's problems, like software droughts, no HD, no FPS, and crappy online service. My favorite part was definitely

When we launched the Nintendo DS and the Wii, Nintendo made some very unique proposals which were not in alliance with the mainstream concepts held in the video game industry at that time.

Wonder what those "proposals" were? Hopefully Nintendo has figured out how to properly woo third party developers.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
dwu8991 said:
I like the fact that they acknowledged the need for HD. I'm okay with wii but I was disapointed that they didn't come out with a Wii HD.
I still am baffled when people say this. Wii U is still essentially wii HD it just has added functionality in regards to its primary peripheral. it can still use every single peripheral the wii uses and hopefully devs will continue to utilize those older methods of control. my apologies if this isn't what you meant but I feel like I've seen this argument before way too many times.

obligatory

by9vqcnzk14zjtzxy.png

Red UFO

EloquentM said:
I still am baffled when people say this. Wii U is still essentially wii HD it just has added functionality in regards to its primary peripheral. it can still use every single peripheral the wii uses and hopefully devs will continue to utilize those older methods of control. my apologies if this isn't what you meant but I feel like I've seen this argument before way too many times.
I think he's saying he wanted a system which would up-res Wii games to a HD resolution.

I hadn't really thought about Mario in a "childish vs. adult" paradigm, but I wonder if young adults just feel uncomfortable playing something (i.e., 3D Mario) that children are playing, so they turn to the "old school" stuff, which is still accessible, but too "old" or "retro" for children's unrefined taste.

That, or they're damn hipsters.

cajunator

Banned
One thing I do like about nintendo is that they are obviously aware of their situation and are seeking ways to fix it instead of pretending it doesn't exist. As much as I love Sega, the reason they fell apart was because they didn't recognize changing trends while they still had the cash to adjust their strategy. Nintendo will adapt. However, I also don't think that Nintendo was completely blind this year with regards to the Wii. I think they were simply putting out what they could within the timeframe, but with very little help from outside publishers. MS and Sony do not churn out one big game a month either. They have to rely heavily on third party, who is more often than not meeting the challenge of providing at least one big title a month. Nintendo does not currently have this luxury. What really gets me though, is how the publishers could ignore an 80 million+ userbase for so long, even when it was selling like gangbusters. It boggles the mind how much third parties dropped the ball with the system.

guek

Banned
Iwata is my favorite company representative in the gaming industry. He always seems straightforward, intelligent, and well thought out when he comments. Whether I agree with everything he says 100% or not, I can just about always respect what he has to say.

Coincidentally, Reggie is becoming my least favorite company rep -_-;

Cmagus

They should do another Prime game if the Wii-U is as powerful as they say they could really try to aim for a Halo level shooter.I mean the prime series was fantastic and played grea,t better than alot of shooters today.

In terms of the smart phone stuff Nintendo should figure out a way to embrace it. I don't know if this can be done but looking at the Wii-U's controller and it essentially can function as a tablet why not make it easier for these guys making the i-pad stuff and what not to port their things to a service where you can get those type of things for the Wii-U.

They need to come with the table with a solid online component like PSN or XBLA .If they don't have this they might as well forget it. If the Wii-U is capable of doing what the other two consoles are doing now then having that level of visuals plus the Nintendo franchises could be great but they really need to get their stuff together they can't keep going on this track of Nintendo pretty much holding the thing together.The Wii sold amazing but I can't see the same for the Wii-U I mean it will sell great but not Wii levels I don't think because there is so much for them to prove this time around.

3DS who knows I think it will be interesting to see what the Vita does (although I think they shot themselves in the foot with all the memory card crap) but I think once things get going and a redesign hits 3DS will get it's footing.Not a factor to me I won't buy until it's region free so...

Momo

Banned
cajunator said:
I love Sega, the reason they fell apart was because they didn't recognize changing trends while they still had the cash to adjust their strategy.
Quite the opposite, they were ahead of the market and launched features people didnt even know they wanted till years later.

Penguin

EatChildren said:
Man, I'm totally with you on Geist and Battalion Wars. A better higher budget and polished Geist would be sublime, as would something like Battalion Wars, but yeah, I don't think either has the ability to cash in on that market. I do agree they had it with GoldenEye though, but that was a different era.

And as cool as Star Wars is, it's in their best interest to create something new. It would help them to have an exclusive, unique shooter franchise that is iconic to their hardware. Rare filled a lot of the gaps and gave them new IPs during the N64 era, but they're yet to get anyone to fill the gaps.

Make it so, Nintendo.

Its sad how many franchises they drop by the wayside after the initial push, though I guess some of it dealt with differences going from the Cube to the Wii.

I mean if they had kept around Geist, Eternal Darkness and even stuff like Baten Kaitos (though honestly can't fault them for the fantastic Xenoblade), they'd have a more interesting line-up.

At the same time, I do think they should take some risks with Western studios like they do with Japan. Stuff like Takt of Magic, Captain Rainbow and the likes need a western equivalent.

EatChildren said:

Yeah, Nintendo absolutely should be investing more in Western development, particularly new, high-quality IP aimed at the existing HD core audience. I've been banging this drum for ages now, but multiplatform titles aren't going to be nearly enough for them to make significant inroads in that market.

But I do worry that whatever Iwata alluded to back in April will go horribly wrong, and it'll be an utterly embarassing attempt to pander to that audience instead of something that can stand on its own two legs.

I thought this was interesting, from a question about Western 3DS third-party support:

Can I expect to see the launches of Nintendo 3DS titles from the overseas third-party publishers which are aimed at avid game players next year?

As a matter of course, it requires more time to develop such titles. Since in Japan, the importance of software for handheld systems among the entire video game business is larger than that for home console software, handheld software is the main battlefield for Japanese publishers. On the contrary, for the U.S. and European publishers, software for home console game systems is the main arena. Therefore, putting a higher priority on spending development resources and allocating teams to the development of software for handheld game systems can be decided only after a decent market is created for the handheld hardware. If the Nintendo 3DS had been able to sell a lot more in the beginning, third-party publishers would have announced by now which software they would launch. But due to the slower-than-expected sales start, everyone was in a wait-and-see mode. The situation is starting to change, and (after they see the results of the year-end sales season,) there will be more changes from next year and beyond.

If I may add one more remark in this regard, about the quality Nintendo 3DS software made by Japanese software publishers, this is the great opportunity for them to expand their market to outside Japan. Nintendo has been creating its software in Japan but these software titles have received strong support in various markets around the world. I think one of the very important jobs of Nintendo is to identify the third-party software made in Japan which, we believe, will have a strong affinity with the tastes in the overseas markets and, thus, have a strong market potential there, and we will collaborate with them to make these titles into hits. So, with these different efforts, we would like to enrich the software lineup for the markets outside Japan as well from next year, which will become one of the contributing factors for our improved profitability in the next fiscal year.

So, it looks like Nintendo will be continuing and expanding the kinds of third-party localization partnerships we've seen with DQ, MH, and Layton.

Azure J

Momo said:
Quite the opposite, they were ahead of the market and launched features people didnt even know they wanted till years later.

Interestingly enough, I think its a combination of both what you and caj are thinking. SEGA provided a ton of ideas and executions way ahead of their time while somewhat neglecting what was going on in their "here and now", most primarily regarding their budgeting and the growth in mind share on the (then) dark horse that was PS1/Sony.

Good Q/A segment from Iwata, I'm glad that he put so much emphasis on letting Nintendo be Nintendo and focus on their strengths. I just hope that the other things he noted on (software droughts and balancing content for them, increased internet focuses and advertising, the need to become more modern in their feature sets - I refuse to believe the quote "be able to improve the situation with the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS" doesn't refer to their attempts to make the playing field level versus "lol we needs dat HD") have a quick enough turnaround and we aren't left wondering what's up as E3 2012 comes in.

Nintendo said:
For example, the teams led by Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo’s Entertainment Analysis & Development Division have already been cooperating with external developers in order to create titles which would have been developed internally at Nintendo in the past.

Oh noes. As long as the quality is Nintendo level this would be a great move, but I just don't see that happening.

muu

Cmagus said:
In terms of the smart phone stuff Nintendo should figure out a way to embrace it. I don't know if this can be done but looking at the Wii-U's controller and it essentially can function as a tablet why not make it easier for these guys making the i-pad stuff and what not to port their things to a service where you can get those type of things for the Wii-U.

I still don't see it making any sense to sell Mario in a 99cent market when you can make $40 a copy for 20million copies. The #1 draw of nintendo consoles is that you can play nintendo games (bonus points if it becomes a console where you can play everyone else's games too!), and whatever short-term profit that the investors want to see from a multi-plat iOS/android Nintendo game will doom them in the long run. It's not like MS makes Halo for Windows Phone or Sony with God of War for PS Suite, right.

odin toelust said:
Oh noes. As long as the quality is Nintendo level this would be a great move, but I just don't see that happening.
OoT is the most obvious example. We have also heard rumours of the Sonic Wii U being co-deved by Nintendo.

But I do worry that whatever Iwata alluded to back in April will go horribly wrong, and it'll be an utterly embarassing attempt to pander to that audience instead of something that can stand on its own two legs.
After seeing them securing DQ and MH as exclusives, and not even multi-plats, I don't really share your doubts.

However, I believe they should start expanding and make few games annually geared toward core games with ratings over T

jman2050

One of the more interesting things I gathered from this Q&A is that Nintendo isn't approaching smartphones and social networks as a software platform at all (not that we didn't know this already) but rather as an advertising platform. Will be interesting to see what comes from that particular direction.

I think a big part of the problem specifically with the Wii and FPS games is that from their inception on PC FPS have always been associated with bleeding edge graphics. Even though the Wii had arguably the best control set up for FPS it's kind of a hard sell to draw that traditional crowd when the visuals lag so far behind.

Hopefully that won't be an issue this upcoming gen for them.

[Nintex]

odin toelust said:
They have no choice, HD development takes up much more development resources that Nintendo simply doesn't have and as shown by Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword a mainline Zelda title takes up a good chunk of Nintendo's resources when it goes in full production. Not to mention a game like Smash Bros. Brawl.

Nintendo still seems to have their head in the sand about smartphones.

I'm surprised that Japanese indie developers haven't sprung up everywhere to release cheap games for the iPhone or whatever device is most popular there. How is that not happening in Japan?

And partnering with external companies to fix their online system won't change the fact that everything is over-priced on their eShops.

Also, the notion that teenage through college boys are still interested in Mario is a joke. Nintendo lost that slice of the pie long ago. Nowadays they're all playing Battlefield and Call of Duty and whatnot because Nintendo is teh kiddie.

Uncle Rupee said:

I'm surprised that Japanese indie developers haven't sprung up everywhere to release cheap games for the iPhone or whatever device is most popular there. How is that not happening in Japan?

And partnering with external companies to fix their online system won't change the fact that everything is over-priced on their eShops.

Also, the notion that teenage through college boys are still interested in Mario is a joke. Nintendo lost that slice of the pie long ago. Nowadays they're all playing Battlefield and Call of Duty and whatnot because Nintendo is teh kiddie.
Maybe it is media and people that has put their head in the sands predicting doom of dedicated handhelds? Or maybe not, it is definitely them and people who believe them that actually have access to stasitical data that shows handhelds being doomed, or on the verge of being, so Nintendo most probably is the one who is spreading baseless predictions and even explanations of the current market

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Uncle Rupee said:

They should hire you for your insight.

Please understand, however, that if anyone has the notion that the absence of Monster Hunter will create a less enthusiastic market condition in the overseas markets than in Japan, it is different from my belief.

Dammit, I'm already less enthusiastic, you stupid cow.

Wonder if that's confirmation that they won't be trying to push monster hunter for a western release.

jman2050

Uncle Rupee said:

You mind forming an actual argument to rebut the data that supports their conclusions?

scitek

Ugh, Nintendo OWNS a western, FPS-centric studio that is (was) full of employees wanting to make an original IP!

God damn...

Frustrating...

Top Bottom