• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY11/12: losses smaller than expected ($532 M), 3DS misses forecast again

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm also looking forward to getting N. American and European hardware sales graphs from Iwata's presentation :)

We know about American sales: 660k between January - March. But I'm with you in anticipating European Hardware Sales.

mclem

The creator of “Super Mario Bros.” games had a loss last year as consumers turned to Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPads and iPhones for gaming and a surging yen hurt the repatriated value of its overseas earnings

In related news, Bartlet lost Texas because he made some comment about not looking good in big hats.

BKK

Others was a slightly bigger market than Americas for NDS. Anyway, with LTDs;

3DS Q4 Hardware:
Japan - 1.19m / 5.85m
Americas - 0.52m / 5.99m
Others - 0.38m / 5.30m

3DS Q4 Software:
Japan - 3.03m / 13.31m
Americas - 2.67m / 16.59m
Others - 2.25m / 15.53m

Actually looking at expected vs actual results looked fairly positive and outlines the minor problem going on.

Look at the numbers.

Take away the surplus of NDS sales, expected was 2.5 actual was 5.1, double what they wanted/expected, take that 2.6, add it to 3DS, that would put it right near expected numbers on the 3DS.

I noticed this a couple of weeks ago, if North America and Europe saw the 3DS as the "DS" system to invest in, then the sales shift would pretty much put America and Europe on par with Japan adoption, and then it would meet sales expectations.

Other than that software seems to be doing fairly well, that probably helped their losses.

Bruno MB

The poor performance of 3DS in the West is nothing unexpected. The only thing I find weird is its Americas and Others software sales comparing to Japan in this last quarter.

By the way, Super Mario 3D Land + Mario Kart 7 + The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D + nintendogs and cats = 36% of 3DS total software sales.

Mpl90

So far, we have

NSMB2 - August
Brain Training - Summer ( so, August / September)
Animal Crossing: Jump Out - Fall

Especially seeing what they expect on the software front saleswise, we can say that, at 90%, Animal Crossing won't be the only big Nintendo title for the Holidays.

Coolwhip

Banned
Don't videogames sell a lot better in the US than in Europe in general? I think it has to do with some huge videogame stores chains boosting sales with big campaigns, while in Europe all we have are smaller stores in each individual country.

AniHawk

Don't videogames sell a lot better in the US than in Europe in general? I think it has to do with some huge videogame stores chains boosting sales with big campaigns, while in Europe all we have are smaller stores in each individual country.

europe was a growing market last gen, while japan shrunk. also, nintendo has historically not done so well in europe, which was weird that they did well last gen (sega was huge in europe and still is somewhat popular- and sony essentially replaced sega as the go-to hardware manufacturer there).

Dem Pokemon DS sales.

Combine DP/HGSS/BW and you get a whopping 44,720,000 copies sold. Add Platinum, which last I heard had sold 7 mil, you get 52 MILLION. We can probably safely assume BW2 will push at least 10 million, so that's at least 60 million Pokemon games will have been sold on the DS by the time it dies. Insane. Just wait until that juggernaut properly hits 3DS.

And all that from what basically amounts (or reduces) to 3 games. 1 of which is a remake!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Actually looking at expected vs actual results looked fairly positive and outlines the minor problem going on.

Look at the numbers.

Take away the surplus of NDS sales, expected was 2.5 actual was 5.1, double what they wanted/expected, take that 2.6, add it to 3DS, that would put it right near expected numbers on the 3DS.

I noticed this a couple of weeks ago, if North America and Europe saw the 3DS as the "DS" system to invest in, then the sales shift would pretty much put America and Europe on par with Japan adoption, and then it would meet sales expectations.

Other than that software seems to be doing fairly well, that probably helped their losses.
They should just discontinue the DS and be done with it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It could be that, or it's that we have to pay quite a bit more in difficult economic times. That aside I think there's the general problem of far too few releases in the West when compared to Japan, there just doesn't seem to be that much support right now.
3DS really can't afford to miss out on localizations of major titles. It doesn't matter if they would normally be seen as too niche, the system needs games, and they're only really coming from Japan.
Probably the most effective way to get the result they want in all honesty, not like they can't sell DS titles still while the 3DS is around.
Exactly, and it's the only thing they can do to make Pokemon B/W 2 help 3DS.
3DS will soon be going profitable, so now is the time to start clearing those DS systems out of retail.

Not really. It's a matter of perception - you have NPD which reports numbers for USA and big software there goes into milions and only fragmented occasional data from Europe.

New Super Mario Bros 2 is a massive system seller. It will be pretty big for the 3DS.

Then Animal Crossing in Fall/Winter. It's not as big a seller, but it still made the Wii's best seller list and is very popular.

Mpl90

New Super Mario Bros 2 is a massive system seller. It will be pretty big for the 3DS.

Then Animal Crossing in Fall/Winter. It's not as big a seller, but it still made the Wii's best seller list and is very popular.

It's all right. But they need something MORE for this Holiday. I'm betting something between Zelda and DKCR. Yes, counting Luigi's Mansion and the possible Paper Mario too.

EVH

Animal Crossing is a very good seller and as Mario Kart, has a very good legs.

BurntPork

Banned
Not that bad of a loss. I think they can return to profitability this year. 3DS only missed the forecast by a bit under half a million, which is manageable. (yes, yes, I know this was after revising it...)

NeoRausch

So, on a doomed-scale, how many doomeds is that? x2?

but serious: report isn't really bad, but they really need to step up their game on 3DS up, signifcantly lower the prices for old DS models and bring more games over.

let's hope they gear into attack-mode with the WiiU. 3DS panic attack was really working but lost momentum pretty fast.

WiiU/3DS Combo commercials! :3

It's all right. But they need something MORE for this Holiday. I'm betting something between Zelda and DKCR. Yes, counting Luigi's Mansion and the possible Paper Mario too.

With NSMB, AC, and Luigi's Mansion too, I'm not entirely sure how much more they need.

I doubt Zelda has been in development that long, but DKCR would be a nice surprise. They don't want to put all their eggs in one basket/holiday season though.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
So, on a doomed-scale, how many doomeds is that? x2?

but serious: report isn't really bad, but they really need to step up their game on 3DS up, signifcantly lower the prices for old DS models and bring more games over.
No. They should kill them off. They should do everything they can to push more people to 3DS in the west.
let's hope they gear into attack-mode with the WiiU. 3DS panic attack was really working but lost momentum pretty fast.
3DS panic-attack is still going in Japan. They just don't care about America in the same way.
NoA really need restructuring.

Bruno MB

LTD software tie ratio for current Nintendo systems:

Wii - 8.54
NDS - 5.94
3DS - 2.65

Other Nintendo systems:

Nintendo - 8.08
Super Nintendo - 7.72
Nintendo 64 - 6.83
GameCube - 9.59

Game Boy + Game Boy Color - 4.22
Game Boy Advance - 4.63

Mpl90

With NSMB, AC, and Luigi's Mansion too, I'm not entirely sure how much more they need.

I doubt Zelda has been in development that long, but DKCR would be a nice surprise. They don't want to put all their eggs in one basket/holiday season though.

Luigi's Mansion isn't such a big seller. There must be something else. Maybe they'll even delay Paper Mario to 2013.

3DS really can't afford to miss out on localizations of major titles. It doesn't matter if they would normally be seen as too niche, the system needs games, and they're only really coming from Japan.

Exactly, and it's the only thing they can do to make Pokemon B/W 2 help 3DS.
3DS will soon be going profitable, so now is the time to start clearing those DS systems out of retail.

Agreed 100% drop DS, promote B/W2 for the 3DS like they did with Gold/Silver for the GBC, and hit it out the park.

Also yes they really need to have at least one weekly release on the 3DS at retail, I mean gamers are looking, it has given me chances to buy eShop titles, but I really want more retail games. I kinda wouldn't mind trying some of those very Japanese titles like Project Mirai or Gundam 3D battle in down times like these.

NeoRausch

No. They should kill them off. They should do everything they can to push more people to 3DS in the west.

3DS panic-attack is still going in Japan. They just don't care about America in the same way.
NoA really need restructuring.

i don't know. The DS brought a nice income in software and they could continue that. But who's gonna buy a DSi when it cost the same as a 3DS... Or a DSiLL which costs EVEN MORE!

fake edit:

i just realized...they ARE killing them off...silent...nintendo ninja style.
well, just kill them officially then.

Luigi's Mansion isn't such a big seller. There must be something else. Maybe they'll even delay Paper Mario to 2013.

I never explicitly remember them saying Paper Mario would be 2012 anyway.

In a way it's really short sighted of Game Freak to keep on trucking with the DS. Don't know how much control Nintendo has over what they do, but either way someone at GF is getting a very persuasive email.

Mpl90

I never explicitly remember them saying Paper Mario would be 2012 anyway.

In a way it's really short sighted of Game Freak to keep on trucking with the DS. Don't know how much control Nintendo has over what they do, but either way someone at GF is getting a very persuasive email.

At least, they're releasing those Pokèmon apps on 3DS. I'm sure they'll promote them at the tail of BW2 commercials.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
So the Wii moved 820M software units to date. For comparison the PS2 did 1.5B+ and the PS3 will be at 600M+ at the end of last quarter. The interesting thing will be if the PS3 can catch up to the Wii. The PS3 shown growth YoY and will move around 160M this fiscal year. So it will gain 60M. With rapid declining Wii software sales, that number might be bigger next fiscal year. And the PS3 still hasn't hit the <$200, so who knows how much juice is left.

Wiz

Wow at those DS software numbers. Also interesting how Wii and Wii U will be lumped together.

Pretty low shipments for 3DS. PS3 could be best selling console at the moment. Also damn DS is dying fast. PS2 already started to outship it. Just year ago it looked so certain that DS would overtake PS2. Never seen leading system to die so fast.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I had no idea that Animal Crossing DS sold 10m+. Who the hell was buying that game? I've never seen anyone with a copy that wasn't the typical "core" Nintendo fan... maybe I need to get out more.

Tratorn

Also damn DS is dying fast. PS2 already started to outship it. Just year ago it looked so certain that DS would overtake PS2. Never seen leading system to die so fast.

Its because its not much cheaper than the 3DS and I think the most people who want to buy a DS atm will just pay some $ more and get the successor.

Glass Joe

One thing I remember during the 3DS launch -- Seeing huge cardboard displayers of Pokemon Black / White which to me sent a very mixed signal. Their biggest franchise on an older system, coming out the same month as their new portable. So Pokemon Black / White 2 is a DS game? Forgive me for not keeping up with that series but that's just stupid. Do whatever minimal improvements necessary to put it on 3DS, Nintendo.

Nintendo Europe really needs to do a better job of getting retailers to stock their products here in Poland.

You rarely see Wii or 3DS anywhere here. I have to buy Wii games online as no shops in my area really stock them (A big Tesco 50km away had a choice of 2 Wii games last time I went there - Driver and Wii Play Motion.) The electrical shop closest to my home has a big Vita / PSP display, but the shop assistant didn't know what a 3DS was when I asked about it.

Nintendo will never be big here if they can't get their products onto shelves!

BurntPork

Banned
It's nice to see that they expect a profit for the next FY. I think it's doable. The estimate for Wii + Wii U also seems very modest, imo.

The 3DS estimate, however, is probably too optimistic. I'd say that 16 million would have been more reasonable.

D_prOdigy

One thing I remember during the 3DS launch -- Seeing huge cardboard displayers of Pokemon Black / White which to me sent a very mixed signal. Their biggest franchise on an older system, coming out the same month as their new portable. So Pokemon Black / White 2 is a DS game? Forgive me for not keeping up with that series but that's just stupid. Do whatever minimal improvements necessary to put it on 3DS, Nintendo.

DS software development won't harm 3DS hardware performance so long as there's no weighty incentive to buy a DS over a 3DS. Nintendo could have continued to push DS hardware to maximise short-term profit, but they prioritised the long-term health of 3DS by lowering its price to not-much-above DS. They essentially killed off DS at the price cut. I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that DS is cannibalising 3DS.

I had no idea that Animal Crossing DS sold 10m+. Who the hell was buying that game?
Girls, like Nintendogs.

I'm too lazy to translate, but here is some charts.

Nintendo Net income by fiscal year
bf2012nin01.png

Nintendo Net sales by fiscal year
bf2012nin03.png

Nintendo hardware shipment by fiscal year
bf2012nin04.png

Nintendo software shipment by fiscal year
bf2012nin05.png

Nintendo geographical net sales by fiscal year
bf2012nin07.png

(Full article in french)

God damn,

bf2012nin05.png

Anyone remember the days when we wondered if DS could even live up to the expectations of GBA? The gear shift with Wii and DS was amazing

Top Bottom