• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is probably leaving millions of dollars off their books not supporting PC

NanaMiku

is this true?
5HWe98r.jpg
Yes, this is true. Nintendo is number 1 Japanese company that has the highest net cash From this article: https://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/713322
Bandai Namco Holdings is number 25
Suzuki is 32
Square Enix Holdings is 38
Konami Group is 50
Sega Sammy Holding is 63
Mazda is 66
Yamaha is 72
Kadokawa is 81
Capcom is 88

jakinov

Here are some reasons why they wouldn't want to release on PC
  • People who buy Nintendo consoles for their games will no longer buy their consoles
    • Nintendo actually makes money selling consoles
      • Selling more consoles usualy means selling more games and accesories.
        • Not just their own games but with more people with Switches they'll buy other peoples games which Nintendo gets a royalty for
  • PC makes their games easier to pirate
  • They don't have the resources to release games on PC and would need to invest money hiring people with the skillset which is not plentiful
    • If you recall lots of early Japanese ports had major problems
  • Almost half of Nintendo games sales are through their own digital storefront where they get pretty much all the revenue to themselves.
    • Compared to the 30% Steam is going to take
      • They could create their own launcher but that would just eat away at the benefit
Whether or not they still end up on top by reachin more people it's hard to say for sure. But it's not as simple as more game sales equal more money.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
They said the same thing about cell phone games, but then when they came out it was only minimal care. People will get over it.

Shut0wen

Nintendo are always a couple generations away from disaster anyway, I don't think the switch 2 will be a failure by any means, but if there's someone that can fuck it up it's Nintendo.
I doubt they will fuck it up but im betting itll have much slower sales then the switch due to economic reasons

Hero_Select

If I was a shareholder, I'd be all over Nintendo to start supporting the PC platform.

Can you imagine a game like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Tears of the Kingdom releasing on PC? Mind boggling.

Have they commented previously about why they don't support PC?

It's hard to process the money they're missing out on.
Nintendo is doing better than most companies. They have no debt and their games are selling better than ever.

Why don't they do it? Because then selling you a box becomes a lot harder.

Senua

Nah that’s false. There was a chart posted of their revenues and they have doubled if not tripled since 2016. Let alone since 2006.

Sony made more profit in one year in 2020 than they did in the entire ps2 generation. They are just being greedy cunts. Nintendo has shown that you don’t need to whore out your games to make a profit.
I thought going to pc was hurting them though

Shut0wen

They said the same thing about cell phone games, but then when they came out it was only minimal care. People will get over it.
Nintendos support for cell phones came from panic over the wii u sales, the minute switch was hot shit was when they dropped support, honestly if nintendo had 3 wii u failures with 3 different consoles then id bet they would support pc but right now due to them relying on outdated hardware i doubt itll ever happen

simpatico

Nintendo is the only one I wouldn't advise to go PC. They're actually still making consoles and not screenless gaming laptops that are locked to one store.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Any time you support another platform that isn't your own, you diminish the value of your exclusives to move console sales and momentum. Just ask Xbox, they have been the biggest supporters of PC.
Sony doing it is yes, a cash grab, but they seem more focused on now profit than how it might hurt thier console sales. Every single person who buys a PC instead of console is lost revenue for every single third party game or add-on. Think about that for a minute, instead of 2 kids buying credits on fornite and COD, and you getting 30%, now you are getting zero.

At least MS has a vested interest in PC being a gaming platform due to windows OS sales (thier bread and butter), the others do not.

And this coming from someone who would love nothing more than Nintendo games on PC.

Last edited:

Stevonidas

I would imagine Gravity Rush is more Nintendo-ish amongst Sony's library.

Off topic; I REALLY wish Nintendo could have purchased Japan Studio and their IPs from Sony before Jim Ryan gave 'em the axe. So many good franchises now dead.

Lokaum D+

Nintendo ll come to PC eventually, we just need to wait for the old farts that runs the company to step down.

Last edited:
Any time you support another platform that isn't your own, you diminish the value of your exclusives to move console sales and momentum. Just ask Xbox, they have been the biggest supporters of PC.
Sony doing it is yes, a cash grab, but they seem more focused on now profit than how it might hurt thier console sales. Every single person who buys a PC instead of console is lost revenue for every single third party game or add-on. Think about that for a minute, instead of 2 kids buying credits on fornite and COD, and you getting 30%, now you are getting zero.

At least MS has a vested interest in PC being a gaming platform due to windows OS sales (thier bread and butter), the others do not.

And this coming from someone who would love nothing more than Nintendo games on PC.
Sony have seen..... record breaking console sales since they've been porting their games to PC.

If Sony isn't focusing on how it might hurt their console.... it's because it wont in any meaningful capacity. The amount of fanboys desperate for games to remain exclusive and give their life meaning... are proportionately small compared to what they can gain.

Nintendo doesn't need expansion into PC any time soon... because they're keeping their game budgets in check and sell far more copies. They didn't build their legacy on providing the highest production values.

Nintendo: "Yes, and its fine"

I really think, that people before posting such threads should ask themselves "Do I know better than Nintendo? (A company from 1889), Do I think Nintendo has not considered all of this options before and today and come to the conclusion on how they run the business today? Do I think Nintendo has stayed this long in business by following the pressure of stakeholders?"

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Absolutely. Their half assed consoles are the reason I don't buy as many of their games anymore at full price.

And I have kids so if it's not for them, I don't count that as a buy for me. I've bought a lot of the way party offerings only to emulate them on PC due to lackluster and unacceptable performance on the console. It's hard to even watch them play it for the low resolution and sporadic performance.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Do you really believe they never had this conversation internally, many many times? These huge corporations are constantly working ahead of time. There certainly are reasons why Nintendo don't have debts.

I'm all for everyone getting to enjoy more games, but Nintendo depends on hardware sales, so I don't see them offering their exclusives to pc any time soon.

Kumomeme

nah..they doing well so far. its not like they loss tons of money. i can see they keep profitable by only releasing their game on their platform in future.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sony have seen..... record breaking console sales since they've been porting their games to PC.

If Sony isn't focusing on how it might hurt their console.... it's because it wont in any meaningful capacity. The amount of fanboys desperate for games to remain exclusive and give their life meaning... are proportionately small compared to what they can gain.

Nintendo doesn't need expansion into PC any time soon... because they're keeping their game budgets in check and sell far more copies. They didn't build their legacy on providing the highest production values.

Yes, record breaking sales driven by covid and a great game lineup. Notice they haven't put out anything brand new and are sticking to older titles? This is to try and mitigate what I have stated while still trying to grab cash.

It's not about fanboys desperate for anything, there is tangible reasons why people buy consoles. If those are diminished over time, when it's time to buy the next one, they might make another choice. It will erode slowly, and the damage not too bad as long as it's older titles. Bit make no mistake, if they finish thier pc launcher and go day and date on all titles, it will definitely hurt thier console sales.

I agree Nintendo doesn't need to release on pc, they have proven than can be highly profitable without it. At least not in this current market, that could change if ms and sony both release a hybrid portable.

Raonak

Banned

That's because sony hasn't devalued their console. They are only porting old games and gaas stuff instead of day and date tentpoles.
You got stuff like FF7-2, stellar blade and rise of the ronin, all releasing exclusively on PS5, they'll maybe come to PC later, but who knows when and at what state.
The PS5 still retains it's value proposition because it's the only consistent way to play playstation games.

MS on the other hand has been doing day and date on PC for years now, and the results speak for themselves.
They've completely devalued their console to irrevelancy through their multiplatform efforts.
And the extra PC revenue isn't doing anything for them.
Now they realised they fucked up and are doing a slow pivot to become completely third party.

Games publishing has small margins no matter how many platforms you release on.
The real money comes form the 30% cuts on every single item purchased.
Nintendo, Sony, Valve and Apple are the big 4 in terms of biggest digital storefronts, and they know how important their platforms are

Last edited:

Senua

That's because sony hasn't devalued their console. They are only porting old games and gaas stuff instead of day and date tentpoles.
You got stuff like FF7-2, stellar blade and rise of the ronin, all releasing exclusively on PS5, they'll maybe come to PC later, but who knows when and at what state.
The PS5 still retains it's value proposition because it's the only consistent way to play playstation games.

MS on the other hand has been doing day and date on PC for years now, and the results speak for themselves.
They've completely devalued their console to irrevelancy through their multiplatform efforts.
And the extra PC revenue isn't doing anything for them.
Now they realised they fucked up and are doing a slow pivot to become completely third party.

Games publishing has small margins no matter how many platforms you release on.
The real money comes form the 30% cuts on every single item purchased.
Nintendo, Sony, Valve and Apple are the big 4 in terms of biggest digital storefronts, and they know how important their platforms are
Yep the reason for MS failure is day and date pc games, not the fact that none of their big games have any pull because the quality is nowhere near good enough. Keep peddling that same shite mate. And yes only porting the gaas stuff. Helldivers 2 is probably one of their most profitable games in a long arse time, how could they bring it to PC day one!? Sony is doooooomed

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't think so. Putting their games on PC would be a easy way to make suddently lot of money, but they'd devaluate all their future hardware, and they make tons of money because their exclusives are playable only on their consoles.

PC only gamers don't care about this. Or anybody else's ecosystems. They only care about their needs

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
People leaving Nintendo for PC.
The same disastrous losses we’ve seen across Microsoft and Sony, albeit a lot worse for the former than the latter, but that can be easily attributed to launching day one on PC.
There is no disastrous loss of customers on PlayStation. If Nintendo made some of their stuff timed exclusive, as Sony has done, they’d still retain the bulk of their audience.

Day and date is what started the downward trend for Xbox, but it isn’t the only thing that hurt them so bad.

Last edited:

Raven77

Do a few things extremely good instead of a bunch of things decently.

No, they shouldn't bother with "supporting PC"

Raonak

Banned
Yep the reason for MS failure is day and date pc games, not the fact that none of their big games have any pull because the quality is nowhere near good enough. Keep peddling that same shite mate. And yes only porting the gaas stuff. Helldivers 2 is probably one of their most profitable games in a long arse time, how could they bring it to PC day one!? Sony is doooooomed
Xbox's death spiral started because it had no exclusives people cared about. That greatly accelerated once they did PC day one, because it meant that it now had NO exclusives what so ever.
They removed any reason to get their console and buy into their platform.
This meant they couldn't invest in quality because the ROI from the game sales alone wasn't enough to make up for the cost.

Do you think sony would be making AAA 500 million dollar games if they didn't have the PS store and PS+ profits to fund these games in the first place?
If all they cared about game sales, then sony (nintendo), would be porting their games to everything.
Why not port helldivers to switch and xbox too? They're leaving "money on the table"

They're not releasing exclusives because they're assholes. They're doing it because platform-holders use exclusives to make the platform more appealing.
The reality is that there's very little money in being a games publisher.
The real money is in being the platform owner.

It's the exact same reason why valve doesn't want to release games anymore.
They make far more money being a storefront.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
They absolutely are not. If they sell their first party games, even if only a few on PC that means that they lose out on having those PC users buying their platform which prevents them from buying digitally or physically form their ecosystem.

Cultivating a strong platform and maintaining exclusivity works better in the long term for profits and revenue than looking at short term financial gain.

Supporting PC would most likely destroy Nintendo hardware sales and even affect software sales. Exclusives sell hardware and obviously this would make the Nintendo console less relevant and Nintendo is a gaming business first and foremost.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Unlike Sony, Nintendo games are actually pretty high up on the top selling games of all time lists.

Nintendo doesn't need to do it in the way Sony does.
Alot of Sony games have been selling close to 10million or over.. They also dont need to do it

MayauMiao

If I was a shareholder, I'd be all over Nintendo to start supporting the PC platform.

Can you imagine a game like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Tears of the Kingdom releasing on PC? Mind boggling.

Have they commented previously about why they don't support PC?

It's hard to process the money they're missing out on.

IMO PC port means I have less reason to get a Switch just like what I feel now about PS5 seeing how there will be PC port eventually.

Kokoloko85

No lol. They know it will damage there console sales eventually and that would effect there software sales.

Just be happy with PC, stop trying to get everything on there lol (Nintendo and PS)

Kokoloko85

IMO PC port means I have less reason to get a Switch just like what I feel now about PS5 seeing how there will be PC port eventually.
This.
I dont know why people ignore this fact.
Either they are retarded, play ignorant (so they can get there games there) or genuinely think it wont effect PS and Nintendo console/software sales negatively ( also retarded)

Its becoming everyday we see posts about why PS and Nintendo need to port there games to PC. Its like the new gamepass threads….

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Just want to say, not everyone can afford a Nintendo Switch/Nintendo Switch II/Pro. But they can certainly afford a The Legend of Zelda Legacy Collection or Super Mario Bros Legacy Collection (examples) for $39.99 each on Steam, Origin, GoG, Epic Game Store, Ubisoft Connect, EA Store/App, Windows Store, Apple Store, you name it. Whether it be Nintendo's own PC service or utilizing platforms that are already made available, it is inevitable that Nintendo gain a foothold on the ever increasing PC device market.

*By the year 2027 notebook computer shipments are expected to reach 217 Million units with desktops to ship at nearly 70 Million units.

mMpVpRW.jpg

*source Global Shipment Forecast for Desktops, Laptops, and Tablets

MayauMiao

Just want to say, not everyone can afford a Nintendo Switch/Nintendo Switch II/Pro. But they can certainly afford a The Legend of Zelda Legacy Collection or Super Mario Bros Legacy Collection (examples) for $39.99 each on Steam, Origin, GoG, Epic Game Store, Ubisoft Connect, EA Store/App, Windows Store, Apple Store, you name it. Whether it be Nintendo's own PC service or utilizing platforms that are already made available, it is inevitable that Nintendo gain a foothold on the ever increasing PC device market.

Guess what will happen with the $39.99 games on Steam? People will start avoid buying Switch games at full price because of cheaper alternatives, hence lower sales and lower profit for Nintendo, plus not forgetting that Nintendo will have to pay Steam/Epic/GoG/Origin/Ubusift/EA Store/Window Store/Apple store tax.

Musashipan

How much money would they do if they go multi platform? A Zelda game like botw/totk would sell more than gta across all the platforms. They just don't need to.

Top Bottom