• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Launching NFC (figurine) Game for Wii U/3DS, Details @ E3

Muzy72

Banned
33.jpg

Satoru Iwata said:
As Nintendo’s first step

We have decided to release character figurines with built-in NFC functionality that are compatible with video games starting from this year-end sales season.

We are calling the figurines by their development codename, NFP, which comes from “NFC Featured Platform” and “Nintendo Figurine Platform.”

What is especially unique about NFP is that it is not classed as an accessory product of a certain software title but as a platform itself.

And it has been designed to be compatible with multiple software titles for Nintendo platforms.
In other words, the figurines, which consumers can buy and collect, are going to work with multiple software titles to be released in the future, and we are aiming to develop more software titles compatible with the figurines.
Nintendo has a lot of well-known character IP that has originated in video games, and we have been regularly releasing titles from game franchises that make use of this character IP. This is why I believe a brand-new type of platform will be born when the character IP becomes compatible with NFP.

NFP has a writer function as well as a reader function, so it can not only tell what character figurine is on the Wii U GamePad, but also a compact amount of data unique to each game can be written into it and read from it. That is to say, you will be able to customize your NFP to raise or train your own Nintendo characters, for example.

At E3 to be held in L.A. this June, we will announce which titles are compatible with NFP, display NFP products and disclose more specific information about NFP, which will be launched during this year-end sales season.

Currently, Wii U is the only video game platform with a built-in NFC reader/writer function.
However, I understand that some of you may be worried that the market for NFP, a platform that will work with a number of software titles, will not grow large enough when it is compatible only with Wii U.
If we can make a good use of Nintendo 3DS, which has already sold over 43 million units, however, this assumption will greatly change.

Nintendo has been developing an NFC reader/writer for the Nintendo 3DS family, as you can see on this slide, and we are planning to launch it in the first half of the next calendar year. This will make Nintendo 3DS compatible with the NFC reader/writer via infrared communication, and as a result, you will be able to read and write NFC data with the Nintendo 3DS device in the palm of your hand.
That is to say, NFP is going to be compatible with Wii U software from this year-end, and compatible with both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS software from next year.

With the launch of this new product genre, NFP, which will be compatible with Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, is going to serve as the first example of actively utilizing our own character IP.
At the same time, there are not only going to be decorative boxes for video game hardware and packages for software, but also Nintendo character figurines displayed on store shelves. This will provide exposure for Nintendo, play a great role in raising our brand awareness and create more opportunities for consumers to play video games.

32.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

38.jpg

Full presentation here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While I get why they want to do it, I'm not sure a 3DS dongle that sits on a desk and has a figurine on top is ideal.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Look at bright side with the fact that we just dodged the bullet that we don't have to collect the figurines for Smash 3DS and Wii U

noobasuar

Banned
If skylanders and Disney can make bank with figurines for garbage games, I'm sure Nintendo can make some decent money also.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I've been expecting this since it was announced the gamepad would have an NFC sensor. Took them long enough.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
A f2p game with NFC figurines could rake in the dough for Nintendo if they do it well enough.

Welp, the first NFC game with characters I'm actually interested in.

This is not going to be pretty.

Pretty much my situation. I like the concept behind Disney Infinity (except those random power discs) but didn't care for the properties.

I already collect Nintendo figures so I'll be in deep with this game.

atr0cious

Look at bright side with the fact that we just dodged the bullet that we don't have to collect the figurines for Smash 3DS and Wii U

Where does it say it isn't Smash? Think about this. You can already make custom move sets for characters, what's a little step further for maybe a brand new skin? or new character completely? Not saying I want it, but the fact that they're putting out a 3DS dongle makes Smash even more possible.

David Gibson said:
NFP in development since last year, rather make not just a figurine but does more, hope to show related games in development at E3
Looks like it might work with many games.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Where does it say it isn't Smash? Think about this. You can already make custom move sets for characters, what's a little step further for maybe a brand new skin? or new character completely? Not saying I want it, but the fact that they're putting out a 3DS dongle makes Smash even more possible.

They said Mario game, so I'm pretty sure that it's not Smash.

I already can't stand DLC, and now there's a Nintendo game where the DLC costs more because it comes with plastic crap?

It'll suck if this is a good game because I want nothing to do with it.

Harpuia

Welp, the first NFC game with characters I'm actually interested in.

This is not going to be pretty.

Yeah...yeah this was my first thought. :( I didn't care much for Skylanders or Disney characters but there's something titillating about collecting Nintendo figures...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Great move. Excited to hear more, and if it's worth competing for in the current figurine market.

thefro

I already can't stand DLC, and now there's a Nintendo game where the DLC costs more because it comes with plastic crap?

It'll suck if this is a good game because I want nothing to do with it.

It sounds like the Figurines are more than just a DLC unlock code and a figure. There's some other feature(s) that Skylanders doesn't do.

SmithnCo

Hopefully this will mean decent looking figures of some franchises and niche characters. IE, no Jakks Pacific BS.

I want a good looking Falcon, Little Mac, Wario, Ness/Lucas

thefit

While I get why they want to do it, I'm not sure a 3DS dongle that sits on a desk and has a figurine on top is ideal.

With skylanders you only sit the figure once and then it gets saved you don't need to have the base connected after. This is probably how they may approach it.

Kazerei

Banned
Uh oh. I'm kind of glad the Pokemon figurines weren't released here, because I would've gone crazy trying to get all the shiny ones.

Top Bottom