• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: line-up for the rest of 2015 (Star Fox, Fatal Frame 5, more)

I have faith that a physical copy of Fatal Frame will come out eventually in NA. Reminds me of the Wii Sports Club release strategy: FTP with DLC for the holidays, physical copy the next spring/summer to fill release gaps.

This holiday season is packed full of Nintendo releases so I can see why they'd try digital first to save retail space.

I highly doubt they're going to spend the money to release a physical copy that would sell nothing after the digital release.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wii Sports Club got a retail release because Nintendo was still thinking (insanely) that it could sell on the back of the original. Fatal Frame has no history of success on which to base the same logic. And even so, Wii Sport Club has bombed, so why would anyone repeat that?

Richie

I highly doubt they're going to spend the money to release a physical copy that would sell nothing after the digital release.

They gave Devil's Third a full priced retail release, which will be out months after the game's saving grace, its multiplayer, will be available as F2P on PC.

Selling little clearly is not a concern in all cases...

chrono01

Wait, Fatal Frame V is 16GB installed? Well, guess I'm passing after all.

I have no interest in digital titles, so purchasing an external HDD just for one game [Fatal Frame V] isn't something I'm interested in doing. I thought my 32GB HDD would be enough, since I only have a few NES/SNES titles installed on my Wii U, but I guess not.

This is infuriating.

dlqcBGl.jpg

*coughs*

I don't even mind that FF is digital only. I've been buying a lot of games digitally lately. My concern is that the Wii U has almost no storage. I don't want to buy another hard drive just for one game.

Fatal Frame is eShop only and Devil's Third is both retail and eShop.

I hate this world. I'm probably going to pass on FF, because I'm not really interested in buying a hard drive for one game.

Edit - Actually, I'm gonna' need a hard drive for the Xenoblade X data packs. So, nevermind. Fatal Frame is a go!

Just buy a 15$ Dollar 32 GB USB stick..

AniHawk

nintendo of america could have had nintendo of europe do the design work if they really couldn't put the effort into fatal frame retail in the us. i think that would have hit the moq.

Koren

I thought USB sticks were a no no with Wii U.
I think they're mostly not as reliable as HDD... It's not a huge issue if you only use it for a single game, and keep everything else (including saves) in the internal storage.

I hope I'll be able to get the physical release in EU, though...

I thought USB sticks were a no no with Wii U.

USB-Sticks are always a no no if you want to use them frequently over many years, because you can not overwrite them endlessly. About 100.000 write-cycles is the standard.

As long as you use a USB-Stick only 1 or 2 years you will never exceed these write limit when you use them with a Wii U. Of course you should never buy a noname stick (or noname hdd).

Some of these prices seem weird. Yoshi and FF being $50 whereas Mario Maker and Devil's Third are $60? Also NSMBU+NSLBU combo for $60 seems like a rip for a 2012 game and its expansion (got that same bundle packed in with a Wii U around MK8 launch which makes it doubly weird as that was a few years ago and Nintendo is claiming its new...).

Still, excited about MM, MT, XC and FF.

Do we know if there is only SKU for Animal Crossing amiibo Festival? Will the game be released without the amiibo and cards? I have a pre-order from a while back and I don't know whether or not it will be including the amiibo.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Yeah ok.

The thread in general is wow. Man like if what Nintendo offers doesn't work for you... don't buy the stuff.

Yeah, some people probably won't. I'll be there day one, because I'm a fan, and will take what I can get.

Don't be surprised, though, if people come to an internet discussion board to, you know, discuss things.

Not buying Fatal Frame 5 because it's digital only? Yeah, I'm sure that will send the right message to NoA. Enjoy your last Fatal Frame there.

It's a 16 gig download.....

Not everyone wants to buy a hard drive for ONE GAME, especially if they normally purchase their titles in physical form.

Being digital-only is a perfectly valid reason to skip this release. Maybe if Nintendo had actually given owners more than 32 gigs in their hardware this wouldn't be an issue.

sörine

Banned
Wii Sports Club got a retail release because Nintendo was still thinking (insanely) that it could sell on the back of the original. Fatal Frame has no history of success on which to base the same logic. And even so, Wii Sport Club has bombed, so why would anyone repeat that?
Nintendo's repeated that strategy a few times: NSLU, Wii Fit U, NES Remix 1+2. It's not just Wii Sports Club really.

sörine;176428301 said:
Nintendo's repeated that strategy a few times: NSLU, Wii Fit U, NES Remix 1+2. It's not just Wii Sports Club really.

Yup.

It would be an easy schedule filler for them, just like the other ones were.

There is? Care to elaborate?
People are reading into the fact DeNA is working on a membership scheme to replace another membership scheme (Club Nintendo) as meaning NNID is being thrown into the gutter. I'm not convinced.

I don't care who or what gets it done just give end users the ability to revoke their account form a system via a web browser login and while you're at it let the NNID change countries too.

We have no way of knowing when that demo build was made.
Wouldn't be the first Star Fox game to do that. I remember Adventures went from looking rough one E3 to holy crap at erm Spaceworld I think it was.

IDGAF, $50 for a digital-only game is highway robbery. DMC4SE was digital-only and priced accordingly ($25). I was there on day 1.
Digital only games are usually around 10 bucks cheaper than it would be physical. This game would've been 60 on the eshop if it had a physical release. Seems about right to me.
Pretty silly to compare it to a re-release of an older game

hwy_61

Banned
Wait, Fatal Frame V is 24GB installed? Well, guess I'm passing after all.

I have no interest in digital titles, so purchasing an external HDD just for one game [Fatal Frame V] isn't something I'm interested in doing. I thought my 32GB HDD would be enough, since I only have a few NES/SNES titles installed on my Wii U, but I guess not.

This is infuriating.

Yep. totally with you there :(

Vena

People are reading into the fact DeNA is working on a membership scheme to replace another membership scheme (Club Nintendo) as meaning NNID is being thrown into the gutter. I'm not convinced.

I don't care who or what gets it done just give end users the ability to revoke their account form a system via a web browser login and while you're at it let the NNID change countries too.

They won't kill NNID, despite the funkiness of the hardware account lock, NNIDs store all of our purchase history data and game information to Nintendo's servers and are actually rather robust in their account details (not really any different from any other account offerings when you peel down to the core).

What they may do is push NNID into this format through integration or simply "Your NNID becomes your account if you already have one, if not you make a new account and it becomes (also) your NNID."

chrono01

Yep. totally with you there :(
It's really disappointing.

Sorry, I should also mention that I was incorrect earlier. I thought it was a 16GB download and a 24GB install [since the download is compressed], but apparently it's around a 12GB download and a 16GB install. Still way too large for it to be feasible for me, though. 16GB is half of the 32GB Wii U capacity, that's insane. It's okay for people with external HDD's, or have a growing interest in digital-only titles to argue a reason to pick one up, but for me there's no reason I can argue to run out and grab one [even if it meant playing Fatal Frame V].

If NoA decides to [eventually] make a physical copy of Fatal Frame V, I'll happily purchase it. If not, unfortunately I will be without it.

Reallink

What do they actually save doing digital only releases? They still have to do some minimal level of marketing, and being a first party, its not like they have some big up front cost securing/creating production capacity. No doubt some retailers (probably Gamestop) would have been glad to have retailer exclusivity if their concern was no one being interested in stocking it. Im just not following what they're gaining limiting their market.

chrono01

What do they actually save doing digital only releases? They still have to do some minimal level of marketing, and being a first party, its not like they have some big up front cost securing/creating production capacity. No doubt some retailers (proabably Gamestop) would have been glad to have retailer exclusivity if their concern was no one being interested in stocking it. Im just not following what they're gaining limiting their market.
They save the costs associated with printing the discs, manual [although these are a rarity these days], cover art, etc. It's easier for them to just put it on the e-Shop and push for sales. I don't think it's the retailer thing that's stopping them, since they could even make the game available directly from Nintendo's website if they were worried about that.

Bottom line? NoA just doesn't want to put in the extra effort/cost to make a physical copy, or they feel the spent cost/effort wouldn't be worth the sales they would potentially receive from it.

What do they actually save doing digital only releases? They still have to do some minimal level of marketing, and being a first party, its not like they have some big up front cost securing/creating production capacity. No doubt some retailers (probably Gamestop) would have been glad to have retailer exclusivity if their concern was no one being interested in stocking it. Im just not following what they're gaining limiting their market.

What marketing? They can spend nothing and advertise it on the eShop and gamepad. Also no need to produce physical copies AND digital having a different revenue share compared to physical from what I understand. Really though, Fatal Frame should have gotten the physical release and Devils Third get dumped to digital only. I mean NoJ made it retail exclusive to Amazon in Japan, so digital only in the west was more apt for that game than FF which is getting a CE in Europe.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
DMC4SE is also a 7 year old game with some extra features.

Fair enough. Then let me put it this way:

Devil's Third, a new IP almost universally panned by reviewers with multiple technical issues reported before release and absolutely no coverage by Nintendo themselves at E3 gets a limited physical release. Fatal Frame V, a horror game releasing in October and the first main entry in the franchise being released in North America after almost a decade, gets a digital-only release even after being covered by Treehouse at E3 and getting much better reception in Japan. See why am I disappointed?

Josh5890

I'm surprised since Xenoblade proved that an exclusive partnership could work for smaller titles.

Crom

Wait, Fatal Frame V is 24GB installed? Well, guess I'm passing after all.

This is infuriating.

Let them have it on Twitter. Pisses me off too.

Not many games for the rest of the year then they make one of the few digital only?

Vena

Fair enough. Then let me put it this way:

Devil's Third, a new IP almost universally panned by reviewers with multiple technical issues reported before release and absolutely no coverage by Nintendo themselves at E3 gets a limited physical release. Fatal Frame V, a horror game releasing in October and the first main entry in the franchise being released in North America after almost a decade, gets a digital-only release even after being covered by Treehouse at E3 and getting much better reception in Japan. See why am I disappointed?

You're comparing a generic, crappy action game with guns to an obscure Japanese Horror niche product. One of these is much more in-line with the American market and the other is a series that would have died off over a decade ago if Nintendo hadn't bought up the brand to whatever degree and kept it going. Also their receptions are generally the same in Japan.

Also remember the shitshow over D3rd... its not hard to realize why the situation is as it is.

chrono01

Let them have it on Twitter. Pisses me off too.

Not many games for the rest of the year then they make one of the few digital only?
I rarely use social media, but for this...I feel compelled to. I'm just thoroughly disappointed in this, and it sets a dangerous precedent for future titles. It sounds like I'm not the only one frustrated in this, but given how stubborn NoA is, I doubt our words will have any effect.

But I guess it can't hurt in trying.

Gotta say - people who were flipping out after Nintendo's E3 performance this year, saying "Nintendo has given up on Wii U" is a tough position to hold right now looking at that release schedule.
Hardly. I see late localizations (Yoshi, Xenoblade, Devil's Third, Fatal Frame) and cheap games with heavily reused assets (Mario Tennis, Amiibo Festival). Star Fox and Mario Maker are the only reasonably big hitters, and neither of those are signs of great commitment.

It's not a disgraceful lineup for a last holiday of prominence for the platform, but I'm not seeing it as a show of great support.

GamerJM

Banned
Personally getting:
Yarn Yoshi
Mario Tennis (what the fuck why doesn't this have a release date yet)
Xenoblade X
Rodea (even though it's not on there come on)
Probably Zelda TriForce Heroes if it's good

Maybes:
Yokai Watch
Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Josh5890

Honest question. How long would it take for games to be printed and shipped from Asia to America? What if Gamestop calls tomorrow offering to take physical copies of the game? Would there be enough time to get it here by the release date?

Brhoom

Banned
Quoting myself:
Ok that's it, if this doesn't get released in NA I will stop buying anything Nintendo untill they go region free, this sucks!
Talking about the limited edition.

Been a fan since I was born but it's time to take a stand, it stopped buying resident evil after they started fucking us survival horror fans and I will stop supporting this company for not caring for us survival horror fans.

I will not buy a digital game when Nintendo doesn't even list my country or even allow online functions for any country near me that is listed, even after multiple emails complaint they shun me like this.

Region free was my last plead to them, I had to hack my wii to play fatal frame 4 and 2 because NOA are a bunch of assholes.

I'm so mad and sad right now :(

chrono01

Honest question. How long would it take for games to be printed and shipped from Asia to America? What if Gamestop calls tomorrow offering to take physical copies of the game? Would there be enough time to get it here by the release date?
It shouldn't take that long. They could even delay the physical copy by a few weeks/a month, and people would wait. I know I would.

The issue lies with NoA themselves. They're so stubborn, I can't see them suddenly saying "Oh look! There's a public outcry for a physical copy of Fatal Frame V, let's oblige!". The only chance NA has, in my opinion, of getting a physical copy is if someone steps in [such as Gamestop did for Xenoblade] and offers to front the extra costs themselves, so they can sell it as an exclusive at their store.

I mean, I'd love to see NoA change their minds, but I really don't see it happening.

It shouldn't take that long. They could even delay the physical copy by a few weeks/a month, and people would wait. I know I would.

The issue lies with NoA themselves. They're so stubborn, I can't see them suddenly saying "Oh look! There's a public outcry for a physical copy of Fatal Frame V, let's oblige!". The only chance NA has, in my opinion, of getting a physical copy is if someone steps in [such as Gamestop did for Xenoblade] and offers to front the extra costs themselves, so they can sell it as an exclusive at their store.

I mean, I'd love to see NoA change their minds, but I really don't see it happening.

I know I'd be more than willing to wait a few weeks if it means actually having a physical copy of FFV.

chrono01

I know I'd be more than willing to wait a few weeks if it means actually having a physical copy of FFV.
Same here.

Even if I had to wait a few weeks after release and purchase it online, from Nintendo themselves [even with the horrible USD --> CDN conversion], I'd still do it. Just give me the opportunity for a physical copy, NoA. That's all I ask.

Koppai

It could probably change and they make a physical copy still. It really isn't too late for them to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Buying everything except Amiibo cards probably. $6 for 6 cards lol no.

That wasn't the point though. It's that they clearly don't put any major budget into the WiiU anymore, looking at the entire lineup. Late localisations and forced delays to fill the holidays alongside low budget projects suggest the opposite of a lively console whose publisher still has faith in it. Which was stated in the post I've quoted.

It doesn't look that way to me. Nintendo is actually supporting the Wii U more than the 3DS when you look at the 2015 calendar.

It doesn't look that way to me. Nintendo is actually supporting the Wii U more than the 3DS when you look at the 2015 calendar.

That's because some of these games (Yoshi's Wooly World and Xenoblade Chronicles X) were literally announced in January 2013 and it's about damn time they actually released. The Wii U has been mostly promises since it launched.

That's because some of these games (Yoshi's Wooly World and Xenoblade Chronicles X) were literally announced in January 2013 and it's about damn time they actually released. The Wii U has been mostly promises since it launched.

Greatness awaits?

(Goes back to playing MK8, Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Smash 4, Nintendo Land and all the best games of this generation which are mostly on the Wii U--and Steam of course.)

Top Bottom