• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo looking into games that support two Wii U controllers

AlphaTwo00 said:
I love this picture, let's quote it again.

I do wonder though, what does this mean for controller assignment. IIRC, Wii Remotes have been strictly Bluetooth, so I'm assuming this Wii U controller doesn't count then, right?

That pic makes me very excite to get a wii u.

CrankyJay said:
Madden: Each team gets one U controller...playbook is visible only on the U screen for each team. Stylus can be used to draw custom routes. Book it.

Can't wait to see what 3rd parties can do with it. Hope it isn't some tacked on BS and something actually useful to gameplay.

Tron 2.0 said:
They can repair it, I'm sure.
That is a solution but not a good one. I would have to wait for 2-4 weeks to get my controller back in order to play games on the console? That is rediculous.

dacuk

TheExecutive said:
That is a solution but not a good one. I would have to wait for 2-4 weeks to get my controller back in order to play games on the console? That is rediculous.

Indeed. I think that person on the VIP area of Nintendo booth did not know what to answer at the question time, and just said the first thing coming to mind.

daCuk said:
Indeed. I think that person on the VIP area of Nintendo booth did not know what to answer at the question time, and just said the first thing coming to mind.
Hopefully! PR folks screw up all the time. I will view this news as false because I cant wrap my head around the stupidity of the decision.

Sianos

That sounds so dumb I just can not believe this is true.

If this is true, the console's potential is already half gone and it is one of Nintendo's worst moves.

Hopefully this turns out to be some missinformation.

KrawlMan said:
Well I won't scream about how much it sucks...but that is some serious buzz kill if true.

The console was only announced a few hours ago, and is a year away. It makes no sense to jump to conclusions and be upset when we really don't know anything. We have probably 18 months until this is out, there's plenty of time for things to change.

M3d10n

It's probably due to cost and bandwidth concerns. The screen is likely to have a resolution that is 1/4th of 1080p, so the performance requirements would be the same as a split screen game.

If they can get enough bandwidth for a single 1080p stream, the system could simply broadcast in a single frequency and each controller would show only the part of the image that was assigned to it via its private channel.

bdizzle said:
The console was only announced a few hours ago, and is a year away. It makes no sense to jump to conclusions and be upset when we really don't know anything. We have probably 18 months until this is out, there's plenty of time for things to change.

"You won't be able to buy the controller alone" sounds like a pretty clear statement.

Jarmel

Banned
Huge misstep. They NEED atleast two.

The controller will be sold separately. What they meant was that you can't just buy the controller and expect it to work. The controller isn't the console. Otherwise that's a hype killer altogether. No way in hell you can't buy the controller alone. What about repairs? Buy a new console? LOL please.

Door2Dawn

Banned
It's a PR fuck up. There is no way thats true. If it breaks or is faulty you would have to wait days just to get it back, so you won't be able to play the Wii U.

mutsu

If the Wii U console only supports 1 Wii U Controller, then it makes sense for it NOT to be sold separately. It is to avoid people from stupidly thinking that they can just buy more controllers to work with the system and wasting their money.

But, yeah I wish they can make it support more controllers. It would definitely open up much more gameplay opportunities. At least 2 controllers, if not more. It will be tough to balance the cost and the price of the console though. Nintendo always try to launch new products at an acceptable price point so I highly doubt they would do it (if it was really a technical limitation on the console's power).

Sianos

Not being able to buy the controller alone makes NO SENSE whatsoever.

This would mean that Nintendo would give you a free controller for every oneyou break.

And if you have to pay for replacements, you might as well buy them from the store.

I'm not believing this. :\

M3d10n said:
It's probably due to cost and bandwidth concerns. The screen is likely to have a resolution that is 1/4th of 1080p, so the performance requirements would be the same as a split screen game.

If they can get enough bandwidth for a single 1080p stream, the system could simply broadcast in a single frequency and each controller would show only the part of the image that was assigned to it via its private channel.
I guess this is one way they could do it. Sounds like a reasonable idea.

I can't see them doing less than two controllers, considering how the 3rd parties are talking. What are you supposed to do, pass the controller?

Sianos

TunaLover said:
Streaming to 2 screens would be to demanding for the system, maybe through wires and not graphically intensive games.
Could this be what the slot on the front is for?

BELIEVE

EvetS

If we were to assume the video stream is broadcasting only (ie one direction from console to controller), then wouldn't multiple controllers be able to receive the same image while playing a multiplayer game? Sort of like TV/radio OTA broadcasting.

So in certain multiplayer (smash bros) games where all players fit into a single screen, wouldn't this scenario work? Even for split screen multiplayer, could it be feasible to downgrade the video resolution for each player?

RagnarokX

How about local multiplayer games just use 1 pad and multiple Wii Classic Controllers? They have the same amount of buttons; they could just disable the stream so the pad player doesn't have an advantage.

Sianos

Well, at least we hopefully have online multiplayer with this.

But then you don't have to worry about screenwatching at all, so the screen is kind of a moot point. :\

RagnarokX

NSQuote said:
Well, at least we hopefully have online multiplayer with this.

But then you don't have to worry about screenwatching at all, so the screen is kind of a moot point. :\
Screen can do more than just display things. Extra buttons, touch controls, aiming, microphone, camera, etc

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
GQman2121 said:
It seems really ass backwards coming off systems like the 64, GC, and then Wii, which all supported multiple controllers.
Alright, I can live with this. It's fuck stupid, and the system would really benefit from more than one, but I can still live with it. I play mostly single player/online multi games anyway.

Fou-Lu

This is really disappointing, but doesn't stop me from buying a Wii U. I imagine the functionality will be added eventually, and if not, my roommate and I will just have to play online, when we live in the same apartment. lol.

Orayn

ivysaur12 said:
I wonder if there are legitimate issues trying to stream to more than one controller at a time?
I doubt it. They're probably just pussyfooting around the issue because it's often seen as a very demanding design, like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles or Four Swords Adventure.
I do hope third parties eventually make it a standard feature for enhanced split screen, though. There's a lot of raw utility there.

RealMeat

Banned
Controllers are probably going to be pretty expensive, so I doubt we'll see very many games that require each player to have a tablet. I think one of the big selling points is all the crap you bought for the Wii will still work.

PushTheButtonMax said:
At least you can still use classic controllers... some might even prefer that.

But it eliminates the entire point of the system. It's like if the Wii had only supported motion control for one player, and you're trying to do wii boxing with one person doing motion and the other punching buttons.

When's the last time a console has been designed so that only one person can use all of the features? It'd have to be the 1970s, right? The Atari 2600 had full two-player local multiplayer.

Sianos

ivysaur12 said:
I wonder if there are legitimate issues trying to stream to more than one controller at a time?
Then use wires for multiplayer Wii U Pads 2 through 4.

Considering the thing I was most excited for with the controller was local multiplayer applications, I am going to be really dissapoitned if this is true.

Sianos

David H Wong said:
But it eliminates the entire point of the system. It's like if the Wii had only supported motion control for one player, and you're trying to do wii boxing with one person doing motion and the other punching buttons.

When's the last time a console has been designed so that only one person can use all of the features? It'd have to be the 1970s, right? The Atari 2600 had it.

Yeah, that's the perfect analogy.

If this is true, can't Nintendo see the missed potential and problems this will cause?

Hopefully someone will ask some good questions about this for the Wii U roundtable tommorow.

Nintendo really should find a way to support streaming to atleast two Wii U controllers. Two is a reasonable number. One would just cause fights between kids as to who gets the good controller and who gets the shitty wiimote. Not to mention the discrepency between one person being forced to use motion controls while the other one can use dual analog nubs.

EA was making a big deal about how it will stream the plays to the Wii U controller so you an pick your play without the other person seeing. How's that going to work if only one person can take advantage of this feature, it completely unbalances the game.

Stephen Colbert said:
They really should find a way to support streaming to atleast two Wii U controllers. Two is a reasonable number. One would just cause fights between kids as to who gets the good controller and who gets the shitty wiimote.

But here's the other key question that no one is asking, will the controllers have internal rechargable batteries? AAA batteries are bulky and a pain in the ass, they keep dying, and play and charge kits likewise just add bulk and extra crap you need to have lying around. The way Sony handled with the DS3 is much better.

Of course it will. A fairly large one at that. AAs would never cut it.

GLopez12

Neo Member
This is a disappointment for a few people, but at the same time, how many people play split-screen anymore? Some of you might say that you do, but I'm talking in general. How much of the gaming population really cares about split-screen anymore? I don't think many do, and, especially with the development of better online systems, I don't see that changing.

I just don't think this is the huge flaw you guys are making it out to be.

This news did throw me for a loop, and there are some cool possibilities for the use of multiple U controllers. However, alot of what is being tossed around there is just lame. Mario Kart where the tv displays a map? Buy a friggin 3DS! Why you would want to stare at a tiny screen when you can play it on a much larger display in HD is beyond me. I think you guys are complaining without really knowing what it is you're asking for. I mean, before the reveal, we had a bunch of people lamenting the death of pointer controls.

The other thing to point out is that if Nintendo is serious about online play (and possibly partners with EA on their network), then most issues concerning only one U controller per system vanish.

And besides, aren't you glad you'll be getting some more values out of those pricey Wii remotes?

GeekyDad

At first, I read the thread title as "Nintendo looking into games." That would have been good news, actually.

GQman2121

Banned
GLopez12 said:
This is a disappointment for a few people, but at the same time, how many people play split-screen anymore? Some of you might say that you do, but I'm talking in general. How much of the gaming population really cares about split-screen anymore? I don't think many do, and, especially with the development of better online systems, I don't see that changing.

I was thinking more in regards to like sports or even co-op beat em ups.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
GLopez12 said:

You're stuck in your perspective. Wii has a large consumer base that plays with other people. That's why games like Wii Sports Resort or wahtever sold so high. Crap graphics but a fun experience for multiple people.

Wii U will retain that with the Wii remote, but only one person getting to use a touch controller is a huge limitation.

Tell a group of young kids only 1 can use the fancy touch controller.

Jimrpg

if this is true then it sucks...

but they've got a year to design themselves out of it.

have the console as it is - displaying 1080p or whatever - thats the main game.

have seperate screens for everyone in their controller like a DSIXL - what was the size of that thing 5" or something.... it can be for everyone's own menus or whatever.... what about something like a 4 person brawler or diablo game - where its super annoying when people are shopping or outfitting the items and stuff - wouldnt it be easier if u had your own screen to do that?

anyways u never know - the PS3 had a boomerang controller for almost a year right? :p

i have to say its very weird for nintendo to not question themselves on this.... though am i completely not surprised? no... alot of their hardcore games have been for one player.... their multiplayer games have always been a bit gimmicky... PLUS nintendo after the Super Nintendo have always had very weird controllers.... they always design their controllers to fit with their style of games only and not think about third parties.... this is just more of the same... i think nintendo have about 5 or 6 ideas they want to do with this controller... but that'll probably be about it and then everyone is going to struggle with ok what else can we do with this controller now?

RagnarokX

David H Wong said:

When's the last time a console has been designed so that only one person can use all of the features? It'd have to be the 1970s, right? The Atari 2600 had full two-player local multiplayer.
Not necessarily. Nintendo illustrated it's intended way to use the new controls along with wiimotes for multiplayer "casual" games. The kind of games that would have intense local multiplayer experiences that would require multiple pads would already be ones that rely more on classic controls anyway. Classic controls would work fine for these kinds of games, especially the 3rd party games, and you still get the HD experience WiiU offers over Wii and, assuming they use Wii Classic Controllers or Wiimote+Nunchuck you'd still have waggle and pointer. For example, the screen didn't really seem to add anything gameplay-wise to New Super Mario Mii that couldn't be done with wiimotes. It won't negatively impact single player or online games. Though this does limit concepts that could have been really cool like Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles.

GLopez12

Neo Member
DeathNote said:
You're stuck in your perspective. Wii has a large consumer base that plays with other people. That's why games like Wii Sports Resort or wahtever sold so high. Crap graphics but a fun experience for multiple people.

Wii U will retain that with the Wii remote, but only one person getting to use a touch controller is a huge limitation.

Tell a group of young kids only 1 can use the fancy touch controller.
I don't see the Wii U losing that crowd no matter what happens. They have it on lockdown, especially since the other players will still use the "fancy" motion controls to some capacity.

The only people who worry about this sort of thing — the more hardcore gamers — are not typically the same people who really get into and utilize split-screen.

In the end, I'm not convinced this will cost Nintendo nearly as much as some of you seem to think.

the arguments between my 4 and 5 year old nieces over who gets to use the wiimote with the red condom sleeve and who gets the clear white one is bad enough. I can't even imagine what it'll be like when only 1 of them gets to use this new controller with the fancy bright screen. I'm going to have to hide the damn thing.

Top Bottom