• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo looking into games that support two Wii U controllers

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Kotaku said:
Katsuya Eguchi, who is working on a five-player Wii U prototype here, doesn't make it sound like that'll be a requirement. In fact, it may not even happen at all.

"We're considering our options with maybe two screens," Eguchi told Kotaku, who said he considers multiple New Controller games to be "an interesting idea." That would mean games that used two new Wii U controllers. Eguchi's five-player prototype, here at E3, has one person using a new controller and four other people using Wii Remote-Nunchuck combos.

While Eguchi didn't explain why Nintendo isn't looking into four-new-controller gaming, it's possible that the Wii U couldn't output to four screens at once (plus a TV). It's also simply possible that Nintendo would find that configuration too pricey for its customers. Nintendo hasn't said what the new controller will cost. But Eguchi answered my question about whether gamers should be concerned about the controller's price by saying that "I do understand that if the price is too high that would be an obstacle."

Link.

It's a bit baffling that the king of four-player local gaming is considering a set-up that might limit some games to two players (assuming said game requires each player to have the tablet-hybrid controller).

Pocks

Good find.. It'd be nice to get a concrete answer if the limitation is a technological issue or a pricing issue.

Davidion

I'm convinced that it's a bandwidth/pipeline limitation that's keeping them from doing this.

I wonder if there's any way to engineer the console and the controllers so that it's not the console doing all the leg work for the streaming.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
hebrew hammer said:
So it is confirmed for 1. They are hoping for two. What a shit console wii mi is.

That's like the 10th troll-and-run post I've seen from you today.

As for the topic, it's good they're thinking about it--I can't possibly see why it wouldn't be used unless it's a limitation of the hardware.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Wii University better be able to house more than one student at a time, or they won't make any money!

Woffls

Just saw this. It won't be the end of the world if there's only 1 screen-pad usable, because a second player could use CC and the TV. Once you add another screen that's three players (an odd number) so you might as well ad a third pad for four players. But then you might as well add just one more to maximise potential.

I think Nintendo would be smart to allow developers to choose depending on the experience, but then that might cause marketing problems if publishers start making games that are best with 4 WU pads, where people just don't have them.

Difficult one this, but I get the feeling they've built the system around having one WU pad.

Trurl

Banned
Well, considering that I was completely doom and gloom this is a bit reassuring.

Even if the controller is too expensive to make buy extra ones attractive, I should know people who will have controllers of their own--assuming that the WiiU doesn't bomb entirely.

Sianos

I really, really hope they can have four pads with this.

This has so much potential for local multiplayer... so much potential.

Shalashaska161 said:
Where the fuck do all you juniors keep coming from?
I was wondering the same thing.

Like they sit on an account for months just to make easy hit and run trolls during E3.

Anyway, if there's only one screen, there's probably a good reason why there's only one screen.

I just can't really think of a good reason.

antonz

I could see them not even thinking along the line of multiple pads just out of money concerns.

Long as enough people/devs say hey we want it Nintendo will potentially cave

WillyFive

Here's how Wii U multiplayer works:

04.jpg

06.jpg

Harada (Tekken) makes it sound like they have at least 3 controllers working with Tekken. 2 people playing head to head and at least one other spectating from the controller with a controllable camera.

I think what throws people off is how Nintendo sees the Wii U.

Wii = We, as in we are playing together on the Wii with Wii controllers
U = You, as in you are playing on a screened controller by yourself or with unique properties compared to the rest.

My guess is that Nintendo believes that one U controller is needed, specifically because the purpose of the system would be to make the system a solitary experience when necessary as well as useful in multiplayer situations.

Of course, I do feel that multiple U controllers might be good. Perhaps the Wii U can't stream content to 4 controllers at once?

rpmurphy

Davidion said:
I'm convinced that it's a bandwidth/pipeline limitation that's keeping them from doing this.

I wonder if there's any way to engineer the console and the controllers so that it's not the console doing all the leg work for the streaming.
Yeah, it definitely looks like a huge technical challenge. They could try wired connections for 3rd or 4th controllers, although that would rather defeat the purpose of the controller.

balladofwindfishes said:
I was wondering the same thing.

Like they sit on an account for months just to make easy hit and run trolls during E3.

Anyway, if there's only one screen, there's probably a good reason why there's only one screen.

I just can't really think of a good reason.

How about the huge power cost to get 4 different screens running at a time?
You'll still be able to do multiplayer on the system, just with Wiimotes+Accessories.

I'm just going to keep saying this:

The Wii U Tablet pad looks to sync like any other Wii controller; no reason you couldn't logically use four of them at once. Four images being beamed from the console i'm sure is out of the question though.

Two images being beamed looks to be what the OP is talking about.

gimz

perfectnight said:
They can't even do a crystal chronicle style game because this shit only supports 1 controller atm :/

that's ridiculous
exactly, i was hoping there will be more game like that to be on WiiU, and they should let people use 3DS as a controller as well, so people who already has their 3DS can jump right in, and needless to buy extra controllers

Nintendo should really work on WiiU this coming year

Im pretty sure Nintendo stupid ( i hope )
lets wait till TGS and see what they have to say

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But Eguchi answered my question about whether gamers should be concerned about the controller's price by saying that "I do understand that if the price is too high that would be an obstacle."

My guess is this is it right here. I'll bet it's possible (his statement makes it seem like it IS possible) but they seem to be concerned with keeping costs down.

ivysaur12

Banned
PBalfredo said:
They better work out how to get more new controllers connected at once. I want my Crystal Chronicles, damnit!

This. I need an HD CC game. And a real CC game, not Crystal Bearers.

Well, two is better than one obviously.

But the missed potential of Wii U being unable to support the expected four controllers is staggering. Imagine:

-Four player 3D four swords, with each controller guiding an individual Link and the TV providing either clues or an overlay of the dungeon - could have some AMAZING Portal 2 esque co-op here.

-Four player Mario Kart, again with the TV providing a map of the track.

-Four people controlling individual Pikmin tribes, while the main TV highlights treasures unearthing, or terrain deformation through earthquakes, or freakish weather conditions, or an immigration of monsters.

This is me just throwing ideas out, hoping that Nintendo solve the multiplayer problem and give us four simulataneous controllers per system. Ah well, its nice to want things.

perfectnight said:
What makes you say that?

Do you have any proof that the console is capable of handling 4 streams at once?

I never said that. I responded to a poster who said the Wii U can only handle one New Controller at once, this
"We're considering our options with maybe two screens,"
disproves that.

slayzz

I was only interested because of final fantasy crystal chronicle type of gameplay.

if its only limited to one then its pretty useless to me.

AceBandage said:
You'll still be able to do multiplayer on the system, just with Wiimotes+Accessories.
Yea, that's a fair enough reason.

I expect a lot of 3vs1 style games, or something like a commander and 3 soldiers multiplayer co-op.

Sianos

Considering the fact that Wii U has a powerful CPU, maybe they'll be able to stream all four images? At least two would be nice, honestly.

Buckethead said:
Juniors need to be banned during E3.

;______;

Mama Robotnik said:
Well, two is better than one obviously.

But the missed potential of Wii U being unable to support the expected four controllers is staggering. Imagine:

-Four player 3D four swords, with each controller guiding an individual Link and the TV providing either clues or an overlay of the dungeon - could have some AMAZING Portal 2 esque co-op here.

-Four player Mario Kart, again with the TV providing a map of the track.

-Four people controlling individual Pikmin tribes, while the main TV highlights treasures unearthing, or terrain deformation through earthquakes, or freakish weather conditions, or an immigration of monsters.

This is me just throwing ideas out, hoping that Nintendo solve the multiplayer problem and give us four simulataneous controllers per system. Ah well, its nice to want things.
If they have good online no one will care.

AceBandage said:

What does that mean for 3rd Parties though? Does that mean the latest CoD is going to have old Wii motion controls as well for example?

Top Bottom