• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo now co-owns the Fatal Frame IP alongside with Tecmo Koei

Horrible for gamers outside of Japan, but obvious news,

But I will pick up the next entry next week in my native language? :D

But seriously, NoA has switched places with NoE in being absolutely terrible, it's a shame. Maybe they'll push the series on the new console though...

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Well, guess if FF2 Wii doesn't come here I'll finally (try to) hunt down the PS2 games. Or at least one of them, I'm a massive wimp about horror.

there also on the x box and you can play them on the 360 in NA. I have FF1 and FF2 on the360 BC.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
has any other company gained control of a series after more than a few previous entries of the series were released on competitor consoles?

Sony originally created the Tenchu IP, which was eventually sold to Activision, and then again sold to From Software. So Tenchu: Dark Shadows is now a DS-exclusive co-published by Nintendo, while Tenchu Z is a 360-exclusive co-published by Microsoft, and Shadow Assault: Tenchu is a self-published XBLA-exclusive.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its a good fit for WiiU if you think about it. Spirit camera viewfinder permanently in your hands adds a lot of possibilities.

mclem

Nintendo invests in the weirdest things.

Fatal Frame isn't bad or anything, but it's never been a particularly popular series, and its most popular games weren't even released on Nintendo platforms. Plus the Nintendo published games haven't even gotten released outside of Japan. How much do they expect to make with this investment?

This is every bit as, "Wait, what?" as when they bought Monolith.

It looks like they're deliberately targetting mid-level development studios and/or franchises that can fill gaps in their repertoire. I think it's fair to say that Monolith's stuff and Fatal Frame both fit quite snugly into conspicuous gaps in their range of stables.

I've said a few times that I'd like to see them make a more 'serious' racing game, who could they snap up who could fit that bill? I always used to say Bizarre, but... well, yes.

(Besides, I'd also expect them to mostly stick within Japan)

Nintendo invests in the weirdest things.

Fatal Frame isn't bad or anything, but it's never been a particularly popular series, and its most popular games weren't even released on Nintendo platforms. Plus the Nintendo published games haven't even gotten released outside of Japan. How much do they expect to make with this investment?

This is every bit as, "Wait, what?" as when they bought Monolith.

Going by their mid-00s Namco deals, it'll just end with Nintendo buying one of Tecmo Koei's teams and then both companies going their separate ways.

What do they even have aside from Team Ninja and Omega Force? I guess the Fatal Frame team and the teams behind Rygar and Tokobot (among others) are in-house at Tecmo?

I hope if Nintendo takes a team, they don't just settle for the FF team. If things get even rosier between Nintendo and KT, just gobble-up the whole damn thing. a whole lagacy of catalogs at your disposal; Ninja Gaiden, DOA, Musou, including One Piece and Dynasty Warriors Musou being exclusives, Rygar, Tokobot, MONSTER RANCHER. etc.

jimmypython

As a gamer in North America with good memories about the series , I am very sad to hear this.

Atlus is a mush better choice than Nintendo for KT IMO.

Well there goes any chance of an HD Collection being released for the PS3 and 360, and probably only small chances of new games being localized.

yeah, this always seemed like a long-shot possibility anyway, but this news is likely the final nail in the coffin. shame - the games are more than worthy of it. could've/would've been awesome...

weird that nintendo took so much interest in this random franchise. Probably because it's high quality, but completely under the radar, thus cheap.

KevinCow

Banned
What do they even have aside from Team Ninja and Omega Force? I guess the Fatal Frame team and the teams behind Rygar and Tokobot (among others) are in-house at Tecmo?

I hope if Nintendo takes a team, they don't just settle for the FF team. If things get even rosier between Nintendo and KT, just gobble-up the whole damn thing. a whole lagacy of catalogs at your disposal; Ninja Gaiden, DOA, Musou, including One Piece and Dynasty Warriors Musou being exclusives, Rygar, Tokobot, MONSTER RANCHER. etc.

Nintendo already has their own whole legacy of franchises at their disposal. Do they really need another one?

Nintendo already has their own whole legacy of franchises at their disposal. Do they really need another one?

But owning KT would no doubt be their largest studio, unless they absorb the company. Either way, KT would handle their IP's with Nintendo consistant guidence, be obvious exclusives, and maybe even tackle more of Nintendo's IP's after Metroid and Pokemon.

MS, Sega, and Sony have never had such a large acquisition before have they?

KevinCow

Banned
Even ignoring what they did to Metroid - I choose to place most of the blame for that squarely on Sakamoto - I don't fancy the idea of Tecmo Koei working on many Nintendo series. Their games seem to frequently have that weird kind of Japanese jank to them.

It seems like their current relationship is working out well for both of them. Nintendo's helping with the lower budget games, and KT still gets to release their DoAs and Ninja Gaidens on the other consoles where they tend to be more successful. If Nintendo wanted to partner with them on another Nintendo franchise, they could do that now.

I don't see any real benefit to either company in Nintendo buying them. Maybe last gen or earlier this gen, when DoA and Ninja Gaiden were still big names. But both of those have lost a lot of interest in recent years.

nordique

Iwata has said in the past, very recently too, that he believes in forming partnerships. If they were to go out an buy a bunch of studios - which they could, he mentioned - then the creative talent might leave...so what's the point?

He said its better to form partnerships, and you can see his methodical approach in the past with not burning bridges but rather handling things in a very behind-the scenes approach, and using Nintendo's strengths to create strong relationships which then lead to other publishers being more inclined with forming said partnerships.

Case in point, we have Nintendo doing this with Tecmo Koei/Team Ninja, Capcom (Monster Hunter) and Square Enix (Dragon Quest)

He also said they would invest where it made sense to do so, hence the acquisition of Monolith Soft and of Retro way back in the day.

Nintendo isn't like Microsoft or Sony in that manor. That doesn't mean MS/Sony's approaches are bad either...look at the slate of mass market exclusives they have as a result...but Nintendo's philosophy is simply different, and it will probably pay off for them in the long run in a different way.

I wouldn't expect Nintendo to own these IPs at all. But Nintendo certainly has an interest in slowly becoming the defacto video game system. I think Iwata wants NES/SNES levels of third party support all over again, and his business moves show he understands what needs to be done to form the correct relationships to move in that direction

Top Bottom