• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America still bringing Devil's Third to North America.

First off, people also need to start separating Unseen64 and Tamaki. He isn't Unseen64, he happens to be one person that writes for there. He has even looked into branding things separately so that his other research doesn't get tied into the site.

Second, multiple sources have come forward confirming what he heard. Stop piling on him for doing actual journalism with verifying sources. You guys complain about by the numbers reporting that most blogs do, meanwhile someone goes out there and talks to people and gets a scoop and he gets shit on when things don't look right.

Third, and here is the biggy, we still need confirmation that Nintendo of America is publishing. That tweet wasn't that.

Well said. Agreed with everything here.

The title isn't really how I interpret the tweet; I think "we are excited to bring this title" could mean they are publishing it, or could mean that "with the help of our third party partners, we are excited to help ensure this title has a release".

I haven't heard of Nintendo of America saying "we are bringing said game" and have it mean it was through someone else. Sounds like they are still publishing it in my point of view.

Wow, interesting. I have this game pre-ordered and I was beginning to wonder if I would ever actually have the opportunity to play it. Bring it on.

Given that Siliconera verified who the new publisher was, people calling for Tamaki's head on a pike are being ridiculous. NoA's tweet does not say it's publishing the game, merely that it is "bringing the game to the Wii U." That could be through a publishing partner like Xseed, so there's no conflict with either news story. And even if NoA is publishing it, things change. Maybe a deal with Xseed fell through. Maybe Itagaki complained. Maybe NoA doesn't want a rumor site batting 1000 on its shit, so it changed course. Who knows.

MilesTeg

Banned
Might be better for us if Nintendo doesn't publish. As in, NoA has been playing some seriously dumb games with release dates these days. If NoA publishes, there is the real chance we won't get this until next year because of some ridiculous padding out the lineup BS. Whereas if a different publisher steps in chances are we will see a release date more in line with other regions. Last thing this game needs for it's online mode is a 6 month disparity in release dates.

Yeah, I wouldn't take the tweet as NoA being the sole publisher of the game. Partnering with a 3rd party is the likeliest outcome.

I just hope it still ends up being an August release. September as a worst case scenario.

Neoxon

This also does bring Siliconera's scoop on some of the characters in Street Fighter V into question. Though to be fair, it already conflicted with something that Ken Bogard said.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I haven't heard of Nintendo of America saying "we are bringing said game" and have it mean it was through someone else. Sounds like they are still publishing it in my point of view.

It very well could be that "we are excited to bring this game to Wii U" means "we are publishing it".

I just simply don't believe it's a strong enough statement to correct the prior belief I had going into this thread, which is that multiple independent sources with little reason to lie confirmed NoA wasn't publishing the game after the game's mysterious absence from E3 and other unusual hints that something nonstandard was happening (also in light of the fact that NoA recently has done a lot better opening to third party publishers to handle smaller titles in the US). Normally when you have that much reason to believe something, you expect pretty strong, unequivocal evidence disabuse you of it. This is... pretty much the definition of an ambiguous statement.

Ridley327

It very well could be that "we are excited to bring this game to Wii U" means "we are publishing it".

I just simply don't believe it's a strong enough statement to correct the prior belief I had going into this thread, which is that multiple independent sources with little reason to lie confirmed NoA wasn't publishing the game after the game's mysterious absence from E3 and other unusual hints that something nonstandard was happening (also in light of the fact that NoA recently has done a lot better opening to third party publishers to handle smaller titles in the US). Normally when you have that much reason to believe something, you expect pretty strong, unequivocal evidence disabuse you of it. This is... pretty much the definition of an ambiguous statement.

I really don't see why Silconera would be in the wrong about this, especially since they dropped the least subtle hint about who the NA publisher would be in their statement on the matter.

rjc571

Banned
It's the Eric Cartman strategy all over again. Create game, refuse to let people play game to artificially pump up demand. Devil's Third was completely off my radar before all this shit went down, and now I'm somewhat interested in picking it up and seeing what the fuss is about.

fernoca

I've been telling people to just calm down. :p

The amazing thing is that all this "drama" is because NoA has been silent about the game...for 1 month.

The game was re-revealed by NoA...
The game was demoed live by NoA...

A whole year passed with noone talking or showing anything about the game. Some even suspecting it was canned or moved to NX.

Then, out of nowhere NoJ releases a trailer and announces it as a retail release exclusively through Amazon Japan.

Then, NoE jumps the bandwagon and announces a release date too.

Yet, because NoA didn't announced anything back then, suspicions started, then we waited a month.

If release for other regions passed by and still no info, then I could understand. But release is in late August. I even mentioned that it wouldn't surprise me if NoA announced something late July, and released it late August like everyone else. Maybe they will release it digitally in August and a limited retail release will follow later. Maybe they couldn't work a deal with Amazon US or Gamestop and continued looking for alternatives.

But because of 1 month of silence (even though all this "hundreds of thousands" of people waited 1 year with no information) we got all this reactions.

Heck, NoA has done more talking and showing the game, than NoE and NoJ combined. So...the wait continues.

JB2448

A screencap of this tweet please?

3214ab5c5f7834ffaeb269c904b545f9.png

Waste of $$$. Help Square and Capcom bring over DQ7 and The Great Ace Attorney.

It's not really the same situation, as Devil's Third is a first-party funded Nintendo project.

I do agree with you about the two games you listed though. They'd make a lot of sense for Nintendo to bring over. 3DS is going to need some gap-fillers in 2016.

Nintendo: 1+1 = 2

Media Outlets: Nintendo says 1+1 =5!
Internet: Fuck off, Nintendo! Get your shit together Nintendo!

Nintendo: 1+1 = 2
Internet: I bet it´s only 2 because of the outrage!

BY2K

Membero Americo
There reports on the Metroid series (the development history of Prime Hunters, the situation of Metroid Dread, the team behind Prime Hunters not even knowing about Federation Force prior to its announcement) and Project Hammer (a series of JP vs. West mirroring Sonic X-Treme's development and the game having a very troubled development prior to being scrapped), and there reports regarding Zombi U being ported to PS4 and X1.

Likely, a number of these reports are right, but who honestly knows :l.

Who said any of those reports are wrong?

tebunker

Banned
You all realize how nuts it is that this game has gotten like 5 or 6 - 5 page plus threads in like the past 7 weeks?

Much better games struggle to get a 2 page OT.

I don't see why people are in some rush to discredit the Unseen64 guy. Nintendo's tweet is still vague enough for me to believe they partnered with another publisher to bring it over. They used similar language when they announced Xseed was bringing Last Story over.

Nightbird

Wow @ the schadenfreude against Tamaki.

Dude is actually going out there to see what's up with the Situation about D3, and now because he may be wrong, he's called a liar for everything he reported on?

Chill people.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Except when Nintendo announced they were partnering with Xseed to bring Last Story to America.

If you believe the conspiracy theorists about Nintendo being the masters of constraining supply... Looks like they are testing the idea of constraining information in order to create artificial hype over the game.

There's no conspiracy, just truthfact. We've gone a full decade of Nintendo severely underproducing things.

tebunker

Banned
You clearly played through this game. Please, tell us all about it.

Dude I am looking forward to this one but even I know just from watching footage what we are getting. You don't have to have hands on to see that.

I didn't call the game shit or say it was bad.

I clearly made the comment that's some downright amazing games get no run, and this one we know nothing about has blown up for very little reason.

So how about you get some reading comprehension thanks!

Clov

Had a feeling that Xseed would be bringing this over after what happened with The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. It's nice that they seem to be picking up the role of releasing games that Nintendo refuses to release in North America for some reason.

HeeHo

You all realize how nuts it is that this game has gotten like 5 or 6 - 5 page plus threads in like the past 7 weeks?

Much better games struggle to get a 2 page OT.

Much better games... How would you even know? Have you already played Devil's Third?

Top Bottom