• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo patents Link's Tears of the Kingdom abilities, and the loading screen

what do you think of Nintendo's attitude?

• Acceptable

Votes: 42 26.3%
  • Greedy

Votes: 99 61.9%
  • I Dunno

Votes: 19 11.9%

• Total voters

Murdok

The company has recently made a number of its registered patents public, including 31 related to the latest Zelda game, Automaton reports.

Many of those patents relate to Link's main suite of abilities, but there are some more general and unusual patents too - including the game's loading screen, for instance.

When using fast travel, a loading screen shows a map of the player's current location before transitioning into a map of the destination. This, apparently, was enough for Nintendo to patent.

Another patent is for Link's physics when standing on a moving object, so he moves in the same direction and at the same speed without further input needed.

(Essentially, objects move by physics and Link moves by player input, but when standing on a moving object Link is automatically given the same movement properties so they align.)

There's even a patent for a mechanic that prevents Link from grabbing an object with Ultrahand that he's also standing on top of, which seems pretty obvious.

While it's understandable Nintendo would patent the game's most unique elements, the number and details of these patents seem a tad excessive.

Automaton cites a 2022 report by Patent Result, ranking Japanese companies by the number of patents considered grounds for rejection by a competitor. Nintendo ranked fifth with 180 patents, though was outranked by Konami (343), Bandai Namco (325), Sony (236), and Sega (206).

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think it sucks to patent mechanics from games, like the Nemesis system was Patented to. It isn't greedy to patent ideas, I do think it should be harder to patent an actual mechanic, but maybe you could patent the code that creates it. Like you can patent a way that your company uniquely does a manufacturing process. But you can't patent the idea of doing something. Like I may have a cool way of making a tin can, patent that, the idea of the tin can cannot be patented.

It isn't greedy though, it is business and business have to protect their IP.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
In general, software patents are ridiculous. If your technique, game mechanic, or other idea is out in the open (not requiring someone to steal your source code in order to understand what you're doing) and others are able to incorporate it into their own projects, then they should be able to as freely as they want with zero barriers.

This kind of thing is not to blame on the developers, though. It's usually the action of some hyper-preemptive legal unit that is trying to head off all counter claims and submit as much as possible.

Patents really have to do with process and how something is done.

If it's unique, and can be distinguished from "prior art" you can patent it, but code is particularly difficult. It's all in the claims.

That said after you patent something such as Link's abilities, it becomes public record and then all any other developer has to do is make a small alteration to the proces or code to make it novel and avoid litigation.

Seems like waste of resources for Nintendo. However, it also implies Nintendo isn't done with Ultrahand and the rest of these abilities from TOTK.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I get it why they do it, but I find this way too greedy and won't bring any results to their side.

You slighty change the mechanic and you're good to go. Good mechanics are simply that, good mechanics.

They shouldn't be locked down from other developers just because one singular developer created them.

Imagine if formations and gameplay inovations in any sport were patent to the coach who came up with them.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

Holammer

I feel that many of the patents could be challenged with prior works in the Sandbox/building genre. Like Scrap Mechanic. Which even features a challenge mode with similarities to many of TotK's shrines. There are decades of games to dig through.

Hudo

I mean, was it Namco who managed to patent interactive loading screens?

But in any way. Every big-ass company tries to patent as many shit as they believe could pass through. It's usually a form of protection against patent trolls/patent disputes because our modern-day patent system we have is just broken beyond repair.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Alright, you guys convinced me. It does seem pretty lame.

You gotta admit though it's a genius move to wait for everyone to move to SSDs, and then patent loading screens Nintendo screens.

Last edited:

CamHostage

This kind of thing is not to blame on the developers, though. It's usually the action of some hyper-preemptive legal unit that is trying to head off all counter claims and submit as much as possible.

The story in development circles about why companies are patenting basic, basic gameplay mechanics when they get highlighted in current games is said to be because of the hyper-preemptive legal fears, and it's supposedly not being done to make a weapon for use against other developers.

Real developers are patenting real game design mechanics and tools as demonstrated in real games before a troll can claim it was theirs. And then, once these concepts are secured in "good hands", the industry at large can maybe figure out how to live peacefully in competition without those weapons going off again.

There's this supposed armistice going on where developers/publishers are committing to not suing for infractions upon "their" patents when used in real game production. WB has the Nemesis system patent, for example, but they didn't go after Assassin's Creed for the similar Zealots feature in Valhalla. There's a notion that companies are mainly securing the legal rights to keep the trolls from having anything to bite on. Supposedly, they are not planning to sue for infractions; they're simply protecting themselves from being sued. Some companies have even stated this to be their policy. Whether this armistice will eventually turn into a cold war, though, that's the fear.

EA has demonstrated its interest in keeping patent war from breaking out by opening up some of its patents to the public development community. (Maybe there are more stories like this out there? I haven't followed this trend too deeply.) But only some of its patents have been unlocked, and only the touchy-feely Accessibility patents that would get them good notices (they may have since opened up others, I don't know?) And big lawsuits between game developers are not exceedingly common, but they happen, and they sometimes get ugly. So we'll see what that means as this situation builds...

Last edited:

Holammer

I mean, was it Namco who managed to patent interactive loading screens?

But in any way. Every big-ass company tries to patent as many shit as they believe could pass through. It's usually a form of protection against patent trolls/patent disputes because our modern-day patent system we have is just broken beyond repair.
Yes they did in 1995.
But it had prior works dating back to 1987 with Load-'n-Play & Invade-a-Load. There are older examples from '83, but I couldn't find footage.

cireza

Nintendo are so smart, they should patent video games. After all, they invented them. As well as controllers, 3D and Platformers.

Last edited:

Hugare

I am once again begging people to learn the difference between copyright and patents.
"Copyright is an automatic right which protects original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works. A Patent is a registered right that gives the owner exclusive right to features and processes of inventions. A Trade Mark protects logos and signs that are used in relation to a particular type of product or service."

I dont see how people are missing the point here

brian0057

Banned
"Copyright is an automatic right which protects original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works. A Patent is a registered right that gives the owner exclusive right to features and processes of inventions. A Trade Mark protects logos and signs that are used in relation to a particular type of product or service."

I dont see how people are missing the point here
Patents don't stop you from achieving something. They just prevent you from using the same patented method to get there.
The point of patents is to promote new ideas and innovations. If you can find some new way to do the same thing that is different enough from an existing patent, you can do it.
Now there's not one but two ways to do something. Hell, maybe your new way is easier and cheaper than the original. Who knows?

You think trying to come up with new ways to do things is expensive and time consuming? Great. You can just license it for a fee.
R&D costs a lot of money.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Can't blame them. Parents can be a flawed system. But its inherently exploiting and misusing the system for benefit.

Solidus_T

Scummy trash move. The building in TOTK is clearly a nod to the popularity of games like Fortnite, Minecraft, etc. Even while showing it to my friends, they compared it to Fortnite and Minecraft. Zelda has also borrowed design choices from games that it inspired like Demon's Souls, Mario Oddysey from A Hat in Time, and others.

Nintendo trying to patent game mechanics that are pretty derivative themselves shows a lack of confidence in their own games, which shouldn't be the case because their games are quite good.

Melon Husk

Another patent is for Link's physics when standing on a moving object, so he moves in the same direction and at the same speed without further input needed.

(Essentially, objects move by physics and Link moves by player input, but when standing on a moving object Link is automatically given the same movement properties so they align.)
Nintendo patented Newton's laws of motion???
edit: top off my head Star Citizen would violate this "patent"
and GTA V already did the loading screen map thing, but better
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
the audacity of stealing ideas from other open world games and patenting them!
edit2: And the ultrahand thing was already done by Half-Life 2, you can't pick up items with the gravity gun if you're standing on them, pretty sure

Last edited:
Top Bottom