• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo posts $160M net income, cuts 3DS/Wii U/NDS/Wii forecasts

amaron11

Banned
Shipped =/= Sold

The actual attach ratio is nowhere near that. I think the revised 4 million projection is pretty aggressive in its own right given the lack of new content between now and the end of March.

But this is also tax return season and people love to part with their money.

DaBoss

Nintendo is making a profit? They sold 3 million Wii Us? These are 2 surprises I think many didn't see coming. The 3DS should be able to hit its projections. I think next fiscal year will be the best so far for the 3DS due to Pokemon.

NSMBU's attach rate is amazing.

Shipped =/= Sold

The actual attach ratio is nowhere near that. I think the revised 4 million projection is pretty aggressive in its own right given the lack of new content between now and the end of March.

Aren't these numbers of systems sold?

jcm

3DS being a profitable venture at this stage helps, even if Wii U is about to PS3 it.

See I think the 3DS ought to be profitable enough to keep Nintendo in the black during the Wii transition, but it's clearly not. That's something we know. Whether it's mostly due to the 3DS not being particularly profitable, or due to the Wii U's worse than expected launch, we can only speculate.

The revised forecasts make me think it's a little bit of both.

Or Nintendo 2008

Wii Music, I remember it. Ravi Drums...

loldrums.gif

Cheebo

Banned
Problem is 3DS is not selling well as Nintendo expected, primarily in the west. The fact they had to cut 3DS hardware and software projections is a pretty alarming sign. That was a lot less expected than Wii U.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
I don't see how any of this is bad, especially if they're turning a profit. They've always made their money of software, correct? So their console sales are lower than the competition. Software is where they've always excelled in and always sold well in.

As for the third quote. We are obviously talking about different target consumers. Mine being the kind that bring in initial sales, yours being the more casual ones that wait for a price drop.
I get what you're saying. I guess my point more focuses on the "legs" of the system - the selling potential throughout its life span. Those are the consumers that turn a 5 million selling console into a 20-50 million selling console. (Though this is nothing new when it comes to console sales)

I still think that both the Orbis and Durango will have the early adopters just like the Wii U, but less than either the 360 or PS3 saw in its initial months (again, just like Wii U compared to Wii). Public perception is drastically different than the last console cycle - more people will wait for a lower price point than in prior generations. This will force Nintendo/Sony/MS to drop their prices earlier than they have in the past in order to grab the market share before a competitor does. Basically, what happened with the 3DS. No one had ever seen a console price drop that quickly (and drastically) to fairly positive results.

I don't understand the logic of people thinking that the next-gen systems will sell like hotcakes out of the gate. That's never really the case and I don't see how the Wii U is any different. Sure, Nintendo has a lot to prove, especially this year, but they've shown that they're not only listening to their audience (I think the Nintendo Directs are a pretty bold attempt at transparency with the audience) but also have the ability to turn a lackluster console launch around with software to back it up (Nintendo 3DS).

And don't get me started on the people that want Nintendo to go 3rd party. What is wrong with you!?

They have shipped so much Wii Us, especially software, that by the end of march they may not even sell what they have shipped till 'now'

Aren't these numbers of systems sold?
Shipped; take Japan for example, the ltd there is ~750l, but they have shipped nearly 900k, and it's selling like 15k per week there and is dropping, so at this rate by march it may not even sell this much.

See I think the 3DS ought to be profitable enough to keep Nintendo in the black during the Wii transition, but it's clearly not. That's something we know. Whether it's mostly due to the 3DS not being particularly profitable, or due to the Wii U's worse than expected launch, we can only speculate.

The revised forecasts make me think it's a little bit of both.
PS1 and PS2/PSP weren't profitable enough to keep SCE in the black during their transitions either. Same for Xbox, why are we holding Nintendo to a different standard?

And wait, I thought we were only looking at the overall profitability of Nintendo earlier, irrespective of all else? I mean, there was no "currency fluctuations" bullet point? They hit a profit this quarter, looks to me like Step 5? Or are we moving the goalposts back to where they started now?

E3 is dead, maybe not to you but certainly for Nintendo. Let's bury these silly ideas and move on.

I'd say it's the opposite. E3 is essential to Nintendo right now. They made a desperate attempt to grab the fans attention at the the Nintendo-fan-wet-dream-Direct-broadcast but now they actually have to get shit done and show stuff at E3 that will make people BUY a Wii-U.

I wouldn't mind if E3 WAS dead and companies did everything Nintendo-direct style.
Would be smarter too.

edit: what a ridiculous condescending way to reply by the way....

JoeM86

November console launches compared:

Xbox 360 (2005)
hardware: 1,500,000
software: n/a

PlayStation 3 (2006)
hardware: 1,700,000
software: 5,200,000

Wii (2006)
hardware: 3,190,000
software: 17,510,000

Wii U (2012)
hardware: 3,060,000
software: 11,690,000

And launch through the following Q1:

Xbox 360 (2005)
hardware: 3,200,000
software: n/a

PlayStation 3 (2006)
hardware: 3,500,000
software: 13,300,000

Wii (2006)
hardware: 5,840,000
software: 28,840,000

Wii U (2012) projection
hardware: 4,000,000
software: 16,000,000

This really puts things into perspective. People continually misremember how launches go

amaron11

Banned
I don't see how any of this is bad, especially if they're turning a profit. They've always made their money of software, correct? So their console sales are lower than the competition. Software is where they've always excelled in and always sold well in.

Well, I believe they made money on BOTH with the Wii because of it's low BOM cost.

jcm

They are not making a profit. They lowered forecasts of Wii U hardware, Wii U software, 3DS hardware, 3DS software, and changed their forecast from a profit to a loss. Someone ought to add the Reuters news story to the first post to add some context to the numbers:

Nintendo Co Ltd, the world's leading gaming company by machines sold, said it will post an operating loss for a second straight year as the sales of its Wii U, successor to the 100-million selling Wii, faltered.

The company caught investors off guard by predicting a loss of $220 million in the year to March 31, reversing a profit forecast for the same amount, putting its new guidance well short of a consensus estimate of 12.1 billion yen ($133.48 million) profit from 19 analysts.

The grim outlook came even as a weaker yen provides a boost for a company that sells almost three quarters of its products outside Japan.

"It was a somewhat negative surprise," said Yasuo Sakuma, portfolio manager at Bayview Asset Management.

PS1 and PS2/PSP weren't profitable enough to keep SCE in the black during their transitions either. Same for Xbox, why are we holding Nintendo to a different standard?

And wait, I thought we were only looking at the overall profitability of Nintendo earlier, irrespective of all else? I mean, there was no "currency fluctuations" bullet point? They hit a profit this quarter, looks to me like Step 5?

There is?

Foreign exchange gains - 22,225

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130130e.pdf - Table 5 under "non-operating income"

Stock opened down 5%

Edit-and moving down fast, already at -6.5%. Hitting a new 52 week low isn't out of the realm of possibility at this point.

I think Wii U situation will not become fully clear until both PS4/Nextbox are revealed AND priced.

If they are priced comparable to Wii U, then it will be in a really tough situation.

If the price gap is considerable, like $100 or something, then whether Wii U sells or not is depended on its software.

---
But considering the situation with 3DS, and how deep they have managed to cut the price recently (I think 3DS was on sale here for even down to $99), there may be a chance that by the end of year they have become able to considerably reduce the production cost of the Gamepad.

Elios83

Not good results with everything underperforming compared to their expectations, also an operative loss because Wii U is sold at a loss. Fortunately for japanese companies the yen is finally weakening and that is improving their net profits.

Oh dear, we're already at the "digital sales" argument. It didn't fly for Vita and it won't for Wii U either.
It may add a small amount, but it's still included in the shipment figures. As is bundled software, which no sales trackers outside Japan account for. You're comparing apples and oranges, you of all people should really know better.

jcm

In the past, Nintendo has managed to transition without losing money. Now, they are apparently unable to do so. That's the standard I'm holding them to. If they are looking at a Sony-style PS3 transition then they're in terrible shape. I don;t think things are that grim though.

And wait, I thought we were only looking at the overall profitability of Nintendo earlier, irrespective of all else? I mean, there was no "currency fluctuations" bullet point? They hit a profit this quarter, looks to me like Step 5? Or are we moving the goalposts back to where they started now?

I'm not moving anything. I'm looking at the actual numbers Nintendo releases. You think the 3DS somehow caused the yen to fall, thus making Nintendo's overseas currency holdings' yen value appreciate? Fine, you can think that. Me, I'll look at how Nintendo is doing in the actual video game business, where they are still losing money, at a time they expected to be profitable.

This really puts things into perspective. People continually misremember how launches go

The difference is that Nintendo has hundreds of thousands of Wii Us stacked up on shelves waiting for an end user to want one, whereas the PS3, and especially Wii and 360, had 0 units sitting on store shelves. These are shipment numbers. Retailers in the West are not going to order any Wii Us this quarter when 300,00+ are sitting in their warehouses and on their shelves already.

As for forecasts, these are not just fun numbers that Nintendo throws out there to beat their chests. No company wants to miss a forecast, or be forced to reduce a forecast. It looks ugly to shareholders. Forecasts are by their nature conservative estimates. Nintendo is not dropping its forecast because a factory caught fire or because they can't get enough components to meet demand, they are dropping it because the console is not selling and they project a 30% reduction in orders from retailers for this fiscal year. This is horrific.

The difference is that Nintendo has hundreds of thousands of Wii Us stacked up on shelves waiting for an end user to want one, whereas the PS3, and especially Wii and 360, had 0 units sitting on store shelves. These are shipment numbers. Retailers in the West are not going to order any Wii Us this quarter than 300,00+ are sitting in their warehouses and on their shelves already.

As for forecasts, these are not just fun numbers that Nintendo throws out there to beat their chests. No company wants to miss a forecast, or be forced to reduce a forecast. It looks ugly to shareholders. Forecasts are by their nature conservative estimates. Nintendo is not dropping its forecast because a factory caught fire or because they can't get enough components to meet demand, they are dropping it because the console is not selling and they project a 30% reduction in orders from retailers for this fiscal year. This is horrific.

I don't know what January 2007 you came from but there were PS3's everywhere. Sure the 360 was hard to find but the PS3 sales were awful and they completely overshipped.

I don't know what January 2007 you came from but there were PS3's everywhere. Sure the 360 was hard to find but the PS3 sales were awful and they completely overshipped.

I didn't say January. We are discussing the three launch months. PS3 was unavailable for one of those months and not totally in stock for the second of those months. Wii U has been completely available for all three of those months.

It may add a small amount, but it's still included in the shipment figures. As is bundled software, which no sales trackers outside Japan account for. You're comparing apples and oranges, you of all people should really know better.

Their allowance for digital shipments is not very large. I'll get someone from the bank to ask what the proportion is.

There is a massive overshipment for both games and hardware.

But Nintendo included digital sales in that 24 million projection did they not?

And what? It's not like it makes much difference.

jvm

Gamasutra.
To be fair - isn't COD down quite a bit?
Anyway the point isn't even Pokemon - its the idea Nintendo first parties from the last year and a bit don't have legs and that Nintendo does not have a wide range of first party titles that was a bit ridiculous.
Cod is down like 1% in units and up in revenue relative to last year, IIRC.

HylianTom

Banned
Haha.. profitability. Niiiice. Looks like we get at least another Nintendo console after this one, which means another decade of Mario & Zelda games. :D

In the past, Nintendo has managed to transition without losing money. Now, they are apparently unable to do so. That's the standard I'm holding them to. If they are looking at a Sony-style PS3 transition then they're in terrible shape. I don;t think things are that grim though.
In the past, Nintendo hasn't generally gone for a loss taking hardware design. That's fundamentally changed with Wii U, it's following the Sony/MS model.

I generally expect Wii U to more resemble PS2 than PS3. I doubt Nintendo could really survive a PS3 level financial disaster.

I'm not moving anything. I'm looking at the actual numbers Nintendo releases. You think the 3DS somehow caused the yen to fall, thus making Nintendo's overseas currency holdings' yen value appreciate? Fine, you can think that. Me, I'll look at how Nintendo is doing in the actual video game business, where they are still losing money, at a time they expected to be profitable.
I was looking at if Wii U could follow 3DS' 5 Steps to success and profitability. You somehow turned that into Nintendo managing overall profitability or not. But again, we can take it to that thread if you want to keep going, let's leave this thread for Nintendo's results.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
At least, it shouldn't be as overshipped as 3DS was (hardware wise)

Total 3DS shipment: 3.61
Japan 3DS shipment: 1.06
Americas 3DS shipment: 1.32
Others 3DS shipment: 1.23

Japan 3DS sales (from February, 26th to March, 27th): 0.8
US 3DS sales (from March, 27th to April, 2nd): 0.4
Other 3DS sales (from March, 25th to March, 27th): 0.33

...And 3DS obtained to ship other 700k in Q2 despite the hyper massive overshipment.

The Wii U is very much in the vein of Nintendo's GBA/DS/Wii model. It is hardware benchmarked against the current gen.
Not financially. GBA/DS/Wii were designed to be profit bearing day one, Wii U was not.

The only other Nintendo hardware that ever took a day one loss was Gamecube, and there it was relatively minor (around $20 iirc).

It really doesn't. PS3 costed $599 and had equally horrible launch line up to WiiU. Not to mention that for PS3 those shipments are for US and Japan only until march (It launched later in EU). Then we have X360 that was successor to original Xbox (that sold 24 million..) and was in short supply for long time. Then we have original Wii and against it WiiU is failing miserably despite the Wii being in short supply for a long time. It really isn't achievement to barely match PS3 or X360 during first two quarters when you consider these factors.

I wonder if Nintendo stock could actually fall below where there were during the Gamecube days. I know with inflation they are already below it.

Cheebo

Banned
If 3DS sales continue to dissapoint (outside of Japan it has consistently done worse than Nintendo's projections) and Wii U doesn't turn around how long can Iwata stay as CEO?

I was looking at if Wii U could follow 3DS' 5 Steps to success and profitability. You somehow turned that into Nintendo managing overall profitability or not. But again, we can take it to that thread if you want to keep going, let's leave this thread for Nintendo's results.

What are these 5 steps you keep talking about?

But it does still make a difference.

Of course, it is probably minuscule for WiiU at this point though. I think Vita DD sales numbers are relatively better and probably even 3DS' numbers too. PS3 and 360 DD sales are probably pretty big at this point.

Top Bottom