• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo posts $160M net income, cuts 3DS/Wii U/NDS/Wii forecasts

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...I don't know how 30 millions in less than two years can be considered "pretty awful" though, but ok.

Shaanyboi

Banned
...I don't know how 30 millions in less than two years can be considered "pretty awful" though, but ok.

Agreed. Compared to the fucking behemoth that was the DS? Yeah, it probably doesn't hold a candle. It's probably doing more than well enough to keep the lights on at Nintendo, though, so "pretty awful" seems more than a tad hyperbolic.

GC LTD: 21.74 million

- 3DS LTD: 29.84 million -

N64 LTD: 32.9 million

The 3DS is on track to pass the N64's lifetime sales within the next two quarters.

EDarkness

Who knows though, maybe they drank their own Koolaid and assumed the 3DS and Wii U would automatically garner the same success as their predecessors and then they based their own estimates on that. Seems silly if true, but not out of the realm of possibility. Look at the forecasts for guys like Pachter. They all overshot as well. Makes you wonder what they were basing it on.

I'm gonna put my bet on this. I honestly believe that they figured with the new Wii Pad and games they announced (Mario in particular), they'd be riding a wave of hype to the bank. I think they made a gross miscalculation and it shows in how they're doing things recently especially with the last Nintendo Direct.

This also goes for the 3DS. I figure they thought that the system was moving quite well in Japan with the software they had that it would also pick up in North America as well. Unfortunately, that just wasn't the case. Mario can't save them on his own, there needs to be something else to get people hyped up.

Perhaps they'll look at things a bit more conservatively now and try to build up some hype. I know the Wii U needs it something fierce. Just about everything I hear about it from gaming sites to people on other forums is something bad. So much negativity that they need to really get a hold of and quick. Though, they should have seen this situation back at E3 last year.

Kenka

I don't see any problem with the R&D. Things are just way more complex than decades ago, thus multiple times more expensive. Just look at the OS development from NES onwards to Wii U.
This, sure. But I would have expected Nintendo to have a clear view of where the business was heading given the impressive feedback the gamers give to the industry through websites like NeoGAF. It was always clear that the one with the better games wins, and we also made clear that the hardcore crowd spends more, and invest longer on the platform. So it was clear that chasing the hardcore dollar was a priority and that investments should be done in that regard. Now, with all the investments done in the HD sector, you would expect the price of middleware to fall between 2005 and 2009, and Nintendo to grab the knowledge involved for almost peanuts, and thus chase the harcore in an unprecedent good position. But somehow, they splashed imopressive amounts of money for what was already made and proven, like engines and OS, and managed to do so badly. I don't understand how they could spend billions in R&D when basically everything was at disposal to end up with a turd.
I wouldn't count on that one box being Nintendo's if those are the games you want. Might need to supplement it with a PS4 or Xbox. Unless you were fine with the third party situation on the Wii, in which case I think we're headed in the same direction. If that worked for you, then with a PC you're probably good. I foresee you playing most of that stuff you listed on PC though.
The only problem I have is that some games I want to buy invariably stay exclusive to non-Nintendo consoles like CastleVania this gen for example. I feel forced to buy another consoles because these Nintendo guys are incapable of securing third party deals on their console, which makes me rage given the fact that they are the gorilla of the sector. How come they can't provide us with more games, and give us incentives to buy their products ? They don't think that the costs of beefing up the hardware and to moneyhat third parties is worth the increase in sales ?

Not just Pokémon. It is going to destroy Japan this year

Dragon Quest 7
Monster Hunter 4
Pokémon X & Y

It's going to be crazy

Plus MegaTen 4, Friend Collection 2, Luigi's Mansion.

It's going to be brutal here for other systems, unless Soul Sacrafice really catches on.

It's only 'pretty awful' if the company making/selling it projected it to do more and based their entire business around achieving that number. Stores buy hardware and software from Nintendo based on Nintendo's own projections. Warehouses full of Wii Us and games don't tend to make them happy.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The only problem I have is that some games I want to buy invariably stay exclusive to non-Nintendo consoles like CastleVania this gen for example. I feel forced to buy another consoles because these Nintendo guys are incapable of securing third party deals on their console, which makes me rage given the fact that they are the gorilla of the sector. How come they can't provide us with more games, and give us incentives to buy their products ? They don't think that the costs of beefing up the hardware and to moneyhat third parties is worth the increase in sales ?

It also has to do with consumer buying habits. If consumers are more-or-less "trained" into getting those kinds of games elsewhere, they don't bother with the ports, third parties aren't going to see a return on their investments. Assassin's Creed 3 probably didn't do too hot on WiiU, neither did Black Ops 2. It perhaps depends on what the publisher expectations were for these versions, but I can't imagine they were high, and even so, I can't imagine they were met.

That's me speculating, though.

Glass Joe

Pretty massive U software forecast cut. But with the important "launch window" games getting delayed (Pikmin, 101), there's not really anything to sell in this period, is there? Except half a month of Lego.

Games drive console sales, and the U doesn't have much to offer there. So a reduced forecast has to follow. But a prediction of less than a mill in 3 months between every region? That's kinda bad, no?

"Could be worse," sure, but still pretty bad nonetheless. I'm predicting some kind of future price cut / ambassador announcement. Maybe they should move their asses on that Virtual Console stuff so owners have something to play, too.

Striek

Because its failed to meet every one of Nintendos expectations, even after they reduce them, at a time when Nintendos handheld unit sales are at a decade low despite no viable competition, and they just slashed the software forecast as well. You're entitled to a different opinion, but I'll base my expectations off of Nintendos + historical sales.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wow. That's far better than I expected. With the Wii U being sold at a loss, I'm amazed they ended this quarter in profit.

Tookay

Also considering that 3DS from now on should increase YOY thanks to more software, more owners, Pokémon and price-cuts.

Because it's never going to match the original DS' sales, it's a failure!

Agreed. Compared to the fucking behemoth that was the DS? Yeah, it probably doesn't hold a candle. It's probably doing more than well enough to keep the lights on at Nintendo, though, so "pretty awful" seems more than a tad hyperbolic.

Because revising your forecasts downward, having a second year holiday for your flagship handheld that's worse than your first in NA, and generally not showing growth - even in light of previous gains - isn't exactly preferable, especially if you're an investor (which is the only thing that matters in this topic).

Come on guys.

Because revising your forecasts downward, having a second year holiday that's worse than your first in NA, and generally not showing growth - even in light of previous gains - isn't exactly preferable, especially if you're an investor (which is the only thing that matters in this topic).

"Not preferable" is a different thing to "awful" though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nintendo reducing their bullish estimates doesnt mean 3DS is not successful on the scale of console sales. 30 millions is 30 millions is 30 millions. In less than 2 years, it must be a top 3 record, anyone knows that?

Darryl

Banned
Now, with all the investments done in the HD sector, you would expect the price of middleware to fall between 2005 and 2009, and Nintendo to grab the knowledge involved for almost peanuts, and thus chase the harcore in an unprecedent good position. But somehow, they splashed imopressive amounts of money for what was already made and proven, like engines and OS, and managed to do so badly. I don't understand how they could spend billions in R&D when basically everything was at disposal to end up with a turd.

nintendo is probably over there researching how to create real life fucking Pokemon and you're upset. cut them some slack, who knows what the hell they're doing. i'm glad there's at least one company doing massive amounts of vidya research.

Because revising your forecasts downward, having a second year holiday for your flagship handheld that's worse than your first in NA, and generally not showing growth - even in light of previous gains - isn't exactly preferable, especially if you're an investor (which is the only thing that matters in this topic).

Come on guys.

forecasts try to be accurate, not generous. they did not accurately gauge the market, but that does not mean they're disappointed or that the 3DS is not printing money.

Tookay

"Not preferable" is a different thing to "awful" though.

I'd say it's closer to that than what the spin is trying to convey.

It's healthy in the Japanese market, which is picking up the slack, but the sales in the west aren't encouraging. And I don't really think this year is going to help things much until Pokemon in the fall.

forecasts try to be accurate, not generous. they did not accurately gauge the market, but that does not mean they're disappointed or that the 3DS is not printing money.

You don't think Nintendo is disappointed with missing their forecasts and potentially pissing their investors off?

I just don't see how it's not a "disappointment" that they couldn't reach their "inaccurate" goals. You're using semantics to basically say it, without accepting it.

Nintendo reducing their bullish estimates doesnt mean 3DS is not successful on the scale of console sales. 30 millions is 30 millions is 30 millions. In less than 2 years, it must be a top 3 record, anyone knows that?

losing money is losing money is losing money.

Despite all those 3DS sales, they are still running an operating loss. They have scaled their business up so much that the current level of 3DS sales aren't enough to make any kind of real money on.

3DS is clearly not printing money.

Baki

4 million Wii Us (down from 5.5)
16 million Wii U software (down from 25).

Ouch.

US: 1.32 million
Japan: .83
Europe: .9

Over shipped by close to 500k units in the US. (800k units in US by end of December, the console is probably posting sub 100k mumbers monthly)I don't expect any additional shipments in NA for next quarter. Expect the WiiU to ship an additional 500k units at best, next quarter. (300k Europe, 160k Japan, 40k NA).

Expect price drop after E3.

JoeM86

losing money is losing money is losing money.

Despite all those 3DS sales, they are still running an operating loss. They have scaled their business up so much that the current level of 3DS sales aren't enough to make any kind of real money on.

They're at profit now, ergo they're not losing money

ASIS

It shows a downwards trend. The revised forecast cements that. 30 million in 2 years is impressive, I doubt anyone is debunking that, but it could have, or should have been better. The future doesn't look too hot either, at least not until Pokemon hits. I rarely agree with anything baconsammy says, but insider this one of the exceptions.

The forecasts were overestimated, the word "awful" is hyperbolic, but the point still stands.

Over shipped by close to 500k units in the US. (800k units in US by end of December, the console is probably posting sub 100k mumbers monthly)I don't expect any additional shipments in NA for next quarter. Expect the WiiU to ship an additional 500k units at best, next quarter. (300k Europe, 160k Japan, 40k NA).

Expect price drop after E3.
These shipments include the whole american continent.

That said, they still overshipped it by something like 300.000 units.

Tookay

This is such an arbitrary metric.

So what if it's in the top console sales or not of some list of Every Console Ever Released™?

If it's not performing to the company's expectations or is losing them money*, then it's not a success. What it does in comparison to other consoles - which existed at different times, places, and prices - is irrelevant.

*Which I don't think it is anymore, but I'm just throwing out hypothetically.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
2.2 Million as of June 30th, 2012 according to Wiki.

If we add in the amt of vita sold in japan since then and just the US black friday sales, it will be at 2765169. Add in the rest of the digits, I think its safe to estimate a 3.5 million by now.

Sony is pretty tight about the actual number, lumping it with PSP's number every time.

I'd say it's closer to that than what the spin is trying to convey.

It's healthy in the Japanese market, which is picking up the slack, but the sales in the west aren't encouraging. And I don't really think this year is going to help things much until Pokemon in the fall.
Even in the US the DS didn't hit peak performance until after Pokemon Diamond and Pearl hit shelves so it will be interesting to see - the US/EU market are definitely slower to adopt new handhelds that's for sure and within that context I think the sales are decent overall and will only get better from here (it IS up YOY despite the lukewarm holiday sales in the west due to an also lukewarm lineup).

obama-not-bad-campaign-poster.jpg

Could be better but with software sales will come, just like 3DS, it also helps when you get a price drop, so a one two punch of software then price drop can make it take off. It's not a Wii but could be a lasting burner if treated right.

Raist

Banned
UK has 80.000, France has 118.000.

Germany probably has 100.000, Italy and Spain 100.000, Australia has ~50.000

They're probably more in the region of 600.000 - 700.000 sold in "Others".

That's an incredibly optimistic figure, considering that UK is generally a third of the european market, and there is a huge positive bias for Nintendo in France compared to any other country.
HW sales are generally much lower in Germany, too.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say the 3DS lifetime projected sales are around 125 million. But it only sells 100 million. At the same time it still generates significant profit. Would that be considered awful as well?

That's an incredibly optimistic figure, considering that UK is generally a third of the european market, and there is a huge positive bias for Nintendo in France compared to any other country.

We knew France figures, right?

JoeM86

I really am not sure where people are getting that these figures are shipments rather than sales, considering Nintendo said sales in the release. In my experience, Nintendo has never done shipped figures.

Anyone willing to fill this gap for me?

I really am not sure where people are getting that these figures are shipments rather than sales, considering Nintendo said sales in the release.

Anyone willing to fill this gap for me?

Sales means sales (to retailers) + digital downloads from the eShop.

Sandfox

Yet. The situation seems quite dire for Wii U, especially with tough competition coming out at the end of the year and currently bad sales. It's not doomed yet though. Investors meeting is tomorrow ? Can't wait to hear their excuses.

I don't think its a dire as you're describing it but I'm pretty sure the meeting is a big reason why we got the Nintendo Direct focusing on the Wii.

I suppose the profit is because of the recent movement of the yen? This isn't surprising. Nintendo's main obstacle to profitability was the exchange rate. As dire as the hardware projections are, as long as the currency can hold, their business should prove as sturdy as it always has been historically. This applies to many other Japanese firms as well.

GavinGT

Banned
Last update was 2.2M but that was mid of last year (before Sony hidden the data grouping their platforms).

Since that update, it's sold 320k units in Japan (Media Create). In the U.S., it sold <40k in August, 50-62k in September, 35k in October, about 200k in November and 200-250k in December, for a total of ~555k (creamsugar). Europe is anyone's guess, but it's probably a little bit under the U.S. number. So, 2,200,000 + 320,000 + 555,000 + 500,000 (?) = 3,575,000 Vitas sold LTD (+ U.S./Europe January sales).

Mael

I wouldn't doubt if that wasn't true anymore...
Look at the numbers that usually get posted, either UK cratered alone or the EU market is in a huge slump.

Darryl

Banned
You don't think Nintendo is disappointed with missing their forecasts and potentially pissing their investors off? And that they're probably wishing it was selling better than it is now?

i'm sure they wish they sold more. i'm sure they wish every man, woman, and child own a 3DS. but you can't conclude that just because they didn't meet their forecasts that the product is a failure. that makes no sense at all, it just isn't how business forecasts work.

are you that one dude who argued with me and then proceeded to link me to nintendo's 500 page financial website and expected me to read through all of it, even though you clearly do not understand any form of financial statement yourself. i could be wrong, your name just sounds familiar and you're presenting a similar argument

Historically speaking, the 3DS is doing quite decently hardware-wise, relative to its predecessors:

GBA:

1st FY LTD: 1.07 million (only 10 days of sales)
2nd FY LTD: 18.16 million
3rd FY LTD: 33.81 million

NDS:

1st FY LTD: 5.27 million (only 4 months of sales)
2nd FY LTD: 16.73 million
3rd FY LTD: 40.29 million

3DS:

1st FY LTD: 3.61 million (only 1 month of sales)
2nd FY LTD: 17.13 million
3rd FY LTD: TBD (29.84 million at 9 months of sales) (32.13 million projected by Nintendo)

Top Bottom