• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power: Wii Essentials, a list of the best Wii games

Galaxy 2, NSMBWii, and Twilight Princess should be moved to Must-haves. Kirby's Epic Yarn should be moved up a level.

Wii Sports Resort being nowhere to be found (a Must-have in my opinion) is the most egregious omission.

entremet

What's the point of including last gen ports like Bully but not Okami or RE4? NMH is arguably better than Desperate Struggle, at least should have been included in the nice-to-have list...

And it's a shame that one of the best 2D platformers of the decade, Wario Land Shake It! hasn't been included in any list. Come on, even a lazy port like Klonoa is a should have!
Not a port. It's a remake.

Glass Rebel

It’s far from a must-have for most people. Come on. And looking at this list more closely it’s pretty much epic fail across the board.

People whine the whole time about Star Fox when it's clear as day to everyone who has played Sin & Punishment that it's impossible for a Star Fox game to reach it. Everybody who hasn't bought and played S&P2 relinquished his right to complain to Nintendo about SF as far as I am concerned.

Eusis

I also dispute a few of their choices. I simply don't think it makes sense to put forward a multiplatform game for which the Wii version is not even arguably the best version--so Bully, Rayman Origins, and probably GoldenEye 007 would be removed on those grounds.
Well, 007 was an exclusive for a year at least. That's an irrelevant point now when you have Wii and an HD console (let's assume PS3 for full parity) and you're trying to decide the best version to get, but at least there's the "native to Wii!" card the other non-rail shooter multiplatform titles don't have. EDIT: Well, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories ALSO is a non-rail shooter that's multiplatform, but unlike those games the definitive version actually is the Wii one.
Oh!
Oh!
Oh!

Where the frick is Xenoblade Chronicles!
Look again at the category it rightfully fits it.

Penguin

Well, 007 was an exclusive for a year at least. That's an irrelevant point now when you have Wii and an HD console (let's assume PS3 for full parity) and you're trying to decide the best version to get, but at least there's the "native to Wii!" card the other non-rail shooter multiplatform titles don't have.

Look again at the category it rightfully fits it.

In the must-have list? :p

My bad!

Carry on!

*whistles*

Aeana

Come on, even a lazy port like Klonoa is a should have!
Ladies and gentlemen, a lazy port:

01.JPG
02.JPG

I also dispute a few of their choices. I simply don't think it makes sense to put forward a multiplatform game for which the Wii version is not even arguably the best version--so Bully, Rayman Origins, and probably GoldenEye 007 would be removed on those grounds.

Unless Goldeneye has Move support, it would be fairly easy to make a case that the Wii version is the best version.

Is it me or Wii actually had a better library than GCN or N64?

In terms of 1st party & overall exclusives it does.

boyshine

I’d argue that Wii had the best version of Bully, that Rayman Origins is extremely overrated on all platforms and that GoldenEye 007 probably had the larger share of sales on the Wii platform (exclusive for a year, and Reloaded sold very poorly), and being one of the most fun (and lengthy) FPS singleplayer campaigns this generation it should be even higher on the list.

Both Galaxy 2 and New SMB Wii are must-haves however, and if LTTP Galaxy 1 should be moved down to the should-haves (it’s not a MUST to play both). Wii Sports should be on the must-have list as it’s no longer bundled with all consoles (Mario Kart and London Olympics bundles) and is the defining game of the console. Excite Truck is a huge fan favourite and should be on the nice-to-have list. Also Pro Evolution Soccer Wii reinvented the soccer game, and Tiger Woods with Motion Plus changed golf gaming forever. Both extremely important games for the sports library. Too much to pick on to continue...

ASIS

In retrospect, much like the GC and N64 before it, the Wii was a fantastic and unique console. Looking at this list, and seeing how much was left out really drove me to such conclusion.

The biggest problem for the Wii were the droughts and lack of 3rd party support, but we have now really does justify the system.

randomkid

I do think that it's good, as a system winds down, to reflect on its games like this. I think trying to come up with a canonical sort of list is an impossible thing, but an admirable thing to try to do. I think presenting it as an unranked--well, sort of unranked--"must have" list rather than a stupid top 50 list is a good thing. So, congrats Nintendo Power.

As for the actual choices, I think they're quite safe. It feels like they tried to hit most genres and audiences, but there are really no games here that should surprise or shock anyone. There are no curveballs. That's unfortunate. I'd include Order Up on a top 30 or top 50 list. I'd probably include Disney Guilty Party. Maybe EA's Smarty Pants as well. I can't imagine anyone in this thread has played any of those three games, or even heard of some of them. I don't mention them as inarguable choices or anything, but rather as a representation of some of the tier of games no one thinks about and that might merit a spot. As a journalist trying to be exhaustive, I don't think any writer should feel pressured to include titles no one has heard of, but nor should they feel scared to if those games' quality merits it. I'd also nominate Another Code R, Ghost Squad, and EA Sports Active as pretty credible "outsider" candidates.

This is all very true but I give this list a lot of credit for putting Little King's Story right at the top.

Chunky

Pretty good, if somewhat safe, list. Klonoa being there makes me happy.
Only things I'd include would be Lostwinds 1+2 in the downloads and de Blob 1/2 in the should haves.
Have there been any gaf Wii/DS retrospectives like this? Would be interesting.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, as someone with a PC, the Wii had my favorite console library this gen... since it had the most exclusives.

And I hate motion controls.

Though I suppose that's less of an endorsement of the Wii and more an indictment of the industry as it stands today.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
You know, this is probably the best list of "Good Games" I have ever seen made by any gaming publication, online or print. Nintendo Power has Good Taste™.

I at least agree that Tatsunoko VS Capcom is one of the best games on Wii. I don't know about the rest. Mario Kart Wii and Sin & Punishment should definitely trade places.

Guzim

Do you understand that the list is from Nintendo Power and not the OP's opinion?

If there's any troll, it's Metroid Prime Trilogy being on the top list when you can't buy it anymore.

I thought the same thing. I did see it used at Gamestop for $59.99 :lol

Great list! It even got Klonoa, Bully, No More Heroes & Little King's Story.
It's just missing Trauma Team/Center, Deadly Creatures and Cursed Mountain.
images
images
images

Edit: Oh and MH Tri. How could I forget about it...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ladies and gentlemen, a lazy port:

01.JPG
02.JPG

And not only is it a lazy (read: awesome) remake, it's a remake of one of the best platformers ever. It's up there with Yoshi's Island for me.

Really, Klonoa on Wii made me realize that I don't hate platformers, it's just that developers can't seem to make good ones anymore.

Chunky

*peek*

All is as it should be in the universe.

*nods sagely*
Punch Out was incredible. Gorgeous graphics, especially animation-wise. Superb music and a ton of content, and a pretty fun multiplayer. Cannot actually think of any flaws it might have had.

Bring on LM2, Next-Level!!

Credo

I had been thinking about buying Donkey Kong Country Returns for a while now. Is it really a "must have" or at the least a "should have?"

boyshine

Kororinpa and Pokemon Rumble should be on there.

If it was a top 100 list perhaps :p Kororinpa is okay, but remember it’s a list that’s supposed to capture the general consensus.. If someone asked you „I just got a Wii, what are the 10 most important games to play for it?” ..you wouldn’t name Kororinpa or Pokémon Rumble, would you?

I think we can make similar-sized lists for each of those consoles. They had some of the best games I've ever played. The problem is that moat of those games have no mind share. No one is going to talk about Sin and Punishment or Rhythm Heaven or F-Zero GX or Viewtiful Joe among discussions of Call of Duty or GTA or Max Payne. I'm not saying one set is better than the other, but that the top games on Wii and GameCube don't register in video game pop culture, which is too bad.

olimpia84

No mention of A Boy and his Blob? Seriously, this is not only one of the best Wii games but one of my favorite games this gen all together. Currently playing it in short bursts and I'm loving the heck out of it.

kswiston

I have all of those Must Haves except Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Rayman Origins. I will eventually pick up Rayman, but probably not for Wii. Tatsunoko doesn't really appeal to me. The must have List is pretty solid, but I would have probably included Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy 2 in that tier.

ASIS

I had been thinking about buying Donkey Kong Country Returns for a while now. Is it really a "must have" or at the least a "should have?"

For me personally, I just finished it 100% yesterday and it was one of the best experiences i've had not only this generation, but of all time.

I played the game completely co-op from top to bottom BTW.

Apparently Bully and Other M deserved more recognition than Wario land shake it or Resident evil 4 :|

Bully is great but yeah, strange omission. And why is Galaxy 1 always listed above Galaxy 2, which is far and away the more interesting game?

I also think it's interesting they don't list the games my group regularly play- Wii Party, Mario Party 8, Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus.

I at least agree that Tatsunoko VS Capcom is one of the best games on Wii. I don't know about the rest. Mario Kart Wii and Sin & Punishment should definitely trade places.
TvC is a good game but it shouldn't be a "must have" ahead of the likes of MH3 and SMG2. Lack of a strong community and craptastic netcode knocks it down a notch or two in my eyes.

Also, :lol at people clamoring for Twilight Princess in the "must have" category. The ridiculously slow and boring start to the game is a serious flaw that should exclude it from consideration when we're talking about the best of the best games.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is definitely the absolute must have.
And Sin & Punishment Star Successor that low is a travesty.

It also baffles me that Skyward sword hasn't even been mentioned, I've been playing it recently and imo is much better than sometimes it's credited for.

apana

Galaxy 2 and Twilight Princess are "must haves" and much better than some of the games chosen in that category. I like top 25 lists better.

Top Bottom