• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PR on psp's new pricepoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnyram

neptunes said:
This is like 1995 all over again
You're not really giving Sony much credit by saying that. They have 10 years of history in the gaming market now. It's not as if noone's going to think about that when considering a PSP.

soundwave05 said:
I don't think you can blame Nintendo.
Sure I can. Nintendo could've just as easily used the same strategy towards the portable market that Sony did. If Nintendo doesn't wise up soon, they'll most definitely be in trouble if they continue to ignore a potentially huge (non-kiddie) market.

Let me pose this question: What the hell is Nintendo supposed to do against the PSP, if even a couple years from now? Somehow, I don't think the GBA2 will be the answer if Nintendo's not willing to take a loss on the unit. Nintendo also can't wait too long before their GBA2 is doable for them because the PSP will just penetrate that much more of the portable market.

Nintendo should've been more aggressive with the DS on both a technological and pricepoint level, and that's that.

nfreakct

How the hell can this thread and the Nintendo DS news thread co-exist in the same forum? It's like walking into parallel dimensions here.

Brofist

Speevy said:
The Playstation console brand isn't what it once was. Consumers are finding a better alternative, plain and simple.

The way this year's console race has gone would be the equivalent of the Sega Master System outselling the NES for the entire holiday season of 1988 or something. No console market leader has ever held that lead for more than two consecutive generations to my knowledge, and I expect MS to have the #1 console on the market.

I'm no fortune teller mind you, but the momentum is clearly not in Sony's favor.

You're only taking into account one region, the US. And even in the US if Sony can make the shipments it'll be 1 for the holidays.

What is this, the Ninbots and Xbots trying to form an alliance :lol

What exactly is the Sony strategy here ... "look away and pay attention to our electronics division and come back when we're profitable?".

That's how all of Sony's divisions operate and that's a big reason why the company has really lost a lot of steam -- although to their credit, their world-famous brand luster definitely remains.

Nintendo's not even remotely in the same situation. They can't use those same tactics.

For Nintendo to stuff like release a GameCube-level portable now or put Blu-Ray into Revolution ... that would incur massive losses from their P.O.V.

Nintendo needs a hardware partner badly IMO. Whether that's Microsoft or Panasonic or some one else, I don't know. But that's the direction Sony wants to take hardware in.

As a consumer I have no complaints. As an observer of the industry, I do wonder how long that type of "spend, spend, spend!" philosophy can sustain itself though.

ge-man

Mr_Furious said:
Sure I can. Nintendo could've just as easily used the same strategy towards the portable market that Sony did. If Nintendo doesn't wise up soon, they'll most definitely be in trouble if they continue to ignore a potentially huge (non-kiddie) market.

Let me pose this question: What the hell is Nintendo supposed to do against the PSP, if even a couple years from now? Somehow, I don't think the GBA2 will be the answer if Nintendo's not willing to take a loss on the unit. Nintendo also can't wait too long before their GBA2 is doable for them because the PSP will just penetrate that much more of the portable market.

Nintendo should've been more aggressive with the DS on both a technological and pricepoint level, and that's that.

I don't think it's that simple. I agree that Nintendo could've been more aggressive, but Sony is out for fucking blood. I refuse to believe what they are saying about profitablity--they are taking REALLY huge losses to essential beat Nintendo down into nothingness. The scenario wouldn't be different if Nintendo had a comparable piece of kit.

Renegade

Banned
I can see that the PSP is MUCH more mainstream friendlier than the DS. The DS renditions of EA's games look -at best- like GBA leftovers wereas the PSP versions are akin to Dreamcast without the terrific IQ. EA also seems to be putting a lot of eggs in the PSP basket. (6 games at launch and 12 within launch window) VS their DS support. Compare Spiderman 2 DS (NGage port?) vs Spiderman 2 PSP (Looks like what the DC version would have been). Furthermore, I think some of the IPs the PSP has will help them gain perception and the hardware itself will attract will be the more popular non-Nintendo franchises. Of course the big push for DS is stylus, but that aspect definitely cannot permeate the majority of games, and I don't think mainstream gamers will go for it.

Of course, Nintendo has Poke'mon and Mario and Zelda. However, if the DS only draws in the Mario/Zelda/Pokemon fanbase, it will stand to be outshined by Sony's virgin effort. Most gamers nowadays are Playstation Generation gamers. They'll identify with the PSP moreso than a Nintendo label (Remember, the DS is not Game Boy).

This will expand, as well as segment, the handheld sector of games. This may pave the way for Handhelds to begin outselling consoles (as a whole) month over month, at least in the US. It may be a good thing for Nintendo in the long run.

I hope Nintendo abandons their usual practices come time for the successor to the GBA/SP. Lets see if they actually create and maintain many positive relationships and dealings, and 'trick out' their hardware.

It would have been MUCH more sane for Nintendo to just continue on with the GBA though. the SNES lived well into the Saturn and PSX age. I'm sure the GBA would have held out until it's successor arrived.

sohka88

so we went from PSP and DS to MS being the top console next gen? How do you figure this? Please explain... How are they gonn amake up for 0 sales in japan? That is 20 million consoles going to sony (or whoever)? Do you think the 100+ mill people who bouugh a ps2 will all of a sudden buy xenons?

The GBA is not going anywhere.

It figures to be the best selling hardware this holiday season easily, I don't see them phasing it out.

I agree Microsoft can't beat Sony, but they may be able to splinter the market, which is what Sega did with the Genesis.

What then happens is Sony is fuxxored because their financial strategy is contingent on having pure market dominance (that's how Kutaragi can convince the Sony brass to take those monster losses early on -- because they're confident the returns will equal the investment and then some down the road a few years).

Renegade

Banned
By the way: Is there a surefire hit that uses the stylus to make consumers think twice about using it? So far all I see are more niche` titles that really push Stylus use.

DCharlie

Banned
"they are taking REALLY huge losses to essential beat Nintendo down into nothingness. The scenario wouldn't be different if Nintendo had a comparable piece of kit."

one thing that strikes me about Sonys tactic....

If this was the tactic from the start, wouldn't this have lead to even more support? And potentially would have lead people away from the DS?

If they were saying to developers "Hey, PSP - portable Ps2 style performace... and get this! $200!!!" , then would developers see the potential for much better PSP sales, and by extension, more people to buy their launch games?

I'm guessing that either sony :

a) didn't tell anyone a price point , and let them just imagine how horribly expensive it would be

b) they did tell everyone the 19800 price point initially, but the dev costs are too large or developers don't see the point in the PSP (don't want to compete vs movies was given as one reason from devs in famitsu (with price being the top concern))

c) they gave a ball park target figure that *SOME* [edit] developers thought was too high.

I would think "Made in Wario" is the stylus killer app.

Simply because that's a game you can give to anyway and in ten seconds they're playing mini-games with the stylus on it. And its got that quirky style I think that would appeal to even non-gamers.

ge-man said:
I don't think it's that simple. I agree that Nintendo could've been more aggressive, but Sony is out for fucking blood. I refuse to believe what they are saying about profitablity--they are taking REALLY huge losses to essential beat Nintendo down into nothingness. The scenario wouldn't be different if Nintendo had a comparable piece of kit.
The scenario would be greatly different if Nintendo had a comparable portable with the added touchscreen. There would be fewer reasons for someone to buy the PSP over the DS, if the DS had similar horsepower, similar features PLUS the added touchscreen.

Sony would have a much more difficult job at penetrating any fucking market if Nintendo wouldn't make it so easy for them.

DCharlie --

I don't think Sony made a definitive pricing decision until really recently to be honest.

At this point the project is already greenlight and just about ready to launch, I think Kutaragi asked for it and got his wish, because there's simply no turning back now.

If they're gonna do this they might as well play to win.

And Nintendo is making it "easy" on Sony? The PSP might incur bigger losses per unit than the XBox (and Sony doesn't have Bill Gates' chequebook either) ... that's "easy"?

It's not just Nintendo, you find me another portable device with that type of display resolution, horsepower, WiFi, high end casing, MP3/video playback, etc. going for $200 these days.

Renegade

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I would think "Made in Wario" is the stylus killer app.

Simply because that's a game you can give to anyway and in ten seconds they're playing mini-games with the stylus on it. And its got that quirky style I think that would appeal to even non-gamers.
Honestly, are you kidding?

Wario Ware DS is the game that will make millions of casual gamers gush their pants and go buy a DS at launch.

^^Say that sentance out loud to yourself.

I'm saying it's the game that demonstrates the use of the stylus to a consumer who doesn't know what it's about. I didn't say Made in Wario was a DS killer app, I said it was a killer application for the stylus.

Obviously if you're talking sales, as of now there's only one game that can sell portables all by itself and that's Pokemon.

There won't be a single game that doesn not on PSP either, it'll have to be a combination of software titles and the "wow" factor of having PS2-level visuals on the go, along with that sleek design.

Portable sales tend to be more about the overall platform, it's generally not a "holy cow!!!! I can't believe it! Now I have to buy a Game Boy or PSP just for this one game!!!" type deal. There's usually a lot of "well, I want a Game Boy, but I don't know which game I should get" type consumers in the portable relam who make their game decision at the store.

The real show piece titles by and large will always be on consoles first. Pokemon is the exception, definitely not the rule.

Renegade

Banned
Okay, so you responded to my origional question but not in an attempt to actually answer the question but use guessimates and hope as a factor to defend the DS. Genius.

No. Really.

Anyway, the question still stands.

Is there a surefire hit that uses the stylus to make consumers think twice about using it? So far all I see are more niche` titles that really push Stylus use.

You could have at least responded with that Pokemon racing game.

soundwave05 said:
And Nintendo is making it "easy" on Sony? The PSP might incur bigger losses per unit than the XBox (and Sony doesn't have Bill Gates' chequebook either) ... that's "easy"?
Yes they are. Sony took a stronghold on the home market back in the 32-bit days because of 2 major factors:

1) They targeted a much larger and more significant audience that Nintendo decided to ignore

2) There machine was easier to develop for and was CD-based which was both better and cheaper for developers.

It's been an upwill battle for Nintendo ever since but both points can be applied here with the minor exception of the dev environments. I haven't heard definitively, which portable is easier to develop for.

soundwave05 said:
It's not just Nintendo, you find me another portable device with that type of display resolution, horsepower, WiFi, high end casing, MP3/video playback, etc. going for $200 these days.
And it's that aggressiveness that will pose a real problem for Nintendo in the near future.

Spike

Is there a surefire hit that uses the stylus to make consumers think twice about using it? So far all I see are more niche` titles that really push Stylus use.

Not yet, but I'm thinking Jump Super Stars, Final Fantasy 3, and DoA Girls: Touch will most likely be the leading candidates. :D

Vagabond said:
By the way: Is there a surefire hit that uses the stylus to make consumers think twice about using it? So far all I see are more niche` titles that really push Stylus use.
Metroid Prime Hunters. Wouldn't be the same without it. WATCH the latest demonstration. Do not comment on this reply without watching the demo.

I dunno what the question you're asking me is specifically.

Are you saying titles like Mario 64 DS and Wario Ware are "niche" titles?

If you're asking is there one "OMYGAAAAWD! I must now buy DS!" software title availible irrespective of the stylus, then Pokemon Pearl/Diamond is most likely it.

There isn't one standout on the PSP either. Even with Gran Turismo Mobile, most people will have it on the PS2 and won't want to pay $50 again for the same basic game a few weeks later.

Both portables have to rely on an overall library to showcase their features and enhance their appeal.

mCACGj

Sigh, I love Nintendo, and I can't say that I like Sony...but Nintendo is in a hard place right now. It should be interesting to see how they handle it.

My biggest worry though is, how much of their resources, and game development will go to the DS as apposed to the Revolution and Gamecube?

Insertia

neptunes said:
"That's not a game machine," said Yasuhiro Minagawa, head of PR for Nintendo Co., Ltd. "They showed it at the [Tokyo] Game Show without any fundamental game software, and you can tell that it's not yet complete."

Nintendo said the same thing about PS2 and look where they're at now...

quin

one of my friends who is working on a u.s. psp game said he knew what the price was for a while(i don't know what a while is but it was before we all found out) he just couldn't say anything

That's just public relations though people. You'd have to be stupid to think they really don't view the PSP as competition and that's the reason why they're going to lose marketshare.

If the PSP didn't exist, the DS would be pretty damn impressive, there aren't really any devices with WiFi, voice, touch screen, 3D graphics, dual screen, etc. for a mass market friendly $150 price point. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

Seriously, I hope PSP creates such a threat to Nintendo that Nintendo decides to partner with Microsoft or something to put their 1st-party games on XBox 2 and Nintendo decides to mostly concentrate on handheld hardware and software. God that would make me so happy. There are too many consoles.

snapty00

Banned
soundwave05 said:
That's just public relations though people. You'd have to be stupid to think they really don't view the PSP as competition and that's the reason why they're going to lose marketshare.
I'd agree, except Nintendo's history isn't strong in this area. I REALLY believe Nintendo believed that it wasn't in competition with PlayStation 2 and Xbox when it said it wasn't. So it's very difficult to differentiate Nintendo's PR speak from its true beliefs.

PuertoRicanJuice said:
Seriously, I hope PSP creates such a threat to Nintendo that Nintendo decides to partner with Microsoft or something to put their 1st-party games on XBox 2 and Nintendo decides to mostly concentrate on handheld hardware and software. God that would make me so happy. There are too many consoles.

I agree with that point, I just hope if such a scenario takes place that it would be a partnership set in stone and Nintendo would retain complete financial and creative independence of course.

I have no qualms with a joint platform though. They have the same tech partners and their strengths fill out the others weaknesses. It's a good match. Ken Lobb would be the ideal emmissary between the two companies.

It is not only a pain in the ass to buy that much hardware, but its also I think a good way for Nintendo to maintain influence in the hardware market. There's no way they should ever even consider being a regular joe third party. Make no mistake Sega was forced into that role, and even after that most of their higher ups spoke of their disdain about the situation.

snapty00 said:
I'd agree, except Nintendo's history isn't strong in this area. I REALLY believe Nintendo believed that it wasn't in competition with PlayStation 2 and Xbox when it said it wasn't. So it's very difficult to differentiate Nintendo's PR speak from its true beliefs.
N64 vs PS1, for that matter.

Renegade

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I dunno what the question you're asking me is specifically.

Are you saying titles like Mario 64 DS and Wario Ware are "niche" titles?

If you're asking is there one "OMYGAAAAWD! I must now buy DS!" software title availible irrespective of the stylus, then Pokemon Pearl/Diamond is most likely it.

There isn't one standout on the PSP either. Even with Gran Turismo Mobile, most people will have it on the PS2 and won't want to pay $50 again for the same basic game a few weeks later.

Both portables have to rely on an overall library to showcase their features and enhance their appeal.
I don't get it. Two people have perfectly understood and answered the question, and responded accordingly (and I thank them) however it flies over your head? For someone so verbose (in typing) I would have thought for sure that you could have interpreted the question.

Wario Ware is a hit on the level of Super Mario 64? Remind me again how much the GBA and Gamecube iterations have sold. That aside, I'm sure it'll sell well, but it won't really turn a lot of consumer heads. Mario 64 DS does not use the stylus to any essential degree.

The aforementioned Pokemon titles have not yet been disclosed as to how they'll use the stylus. They'll sell very well (Perhaps not as much as previous iterations due to the much more limited DS base).

With the PSP, there is nothing to the Poke` or Halo levels, but overall the titles it has garnered are much more appealing to the mainstream than the collective DS offerings.

evilromero said:
Metroid Prime Hunters. Wouldn't be the same without it. WATCH the latest demonstration. Do not comment on this reply without watching the demo.
Fine, but you don't think the appeal is limited, irregardless of the franchise attached? I have my doubts.

I really feel like there can only be two major hardware platforms anyway. Nintendo gave it a good shot with the GameCube, it wasn't meant to be.

If Sony is going to keep using these tactics, eventually Nintendo's position will become more compromised.

Microsoft is itching for any type of advantage they can get right now, Nintendo would be able to enter as a partner rather than a sub-servant developer if they wanted to I think.

Microsoft could also help them in the portable arena, similar to how they push Pocket PCs made by other manufacturers. Halo on the Game Boy or Windows on a touch screen Game Boy would provide the unit with a ton more funcitonality.

To address your point Vagabond, you just can't pull a Super Mario 64 outta your butt on cue. That's like asking a movie studio to pull out a Titanic or Sixth Sense every summer.

Game's like that are very, very rare.

The jump from 2D to 3D is a monumental thing.

So what if the stylus support isn't as monumental. It doesn't mean it's not relavant.

The stylus support with the right type of software like Wario Ware for instance does create a situation where people who just find video games completely counter-intuitive can get into it and start playing.

That's something my sister for instance could pick up and play, and she never plays video games.

That's pretty extraordinary.

Of course DS is a risk, I believe Nintendo said that right from the start they were aiming for only about 10% of people at E3 to like it.

ge-man

soundwave05 said:
I really feel like there can only be two major hardware platforms anyway. Nintendo gave it a good shot with the GameCube, it wasn't meant to be.

If Sony is going to keep using these tactics, eventually Nintendo's position will become more compromised.

Microsoft is itching for any type of advantage they can get right now, Nintendo would be able to enter as a partner rather than a sub-servant developer if they wanted to I think.

Microsoft could also help them in the portable arena, similar to how they push Pocket PCs made by other manufacturers. Halo on the Game Boy or Windows on a touch screen Game Boy would provide the unit with a ton more funcitonality.

Nintendo could support a niche console if they wanted to. But that's the rub, what kind of desire do they have left in the console realm? It's beginning to look pointless because Sony and MS have different ideas what a console should be, and the rest of the industry outside of Nintendo is pretty much following in line.

Regardless, I think they are more like to just go portable only than enter into partnerships or go 3rd party.

Regardless, I think they are more like to just go portable only than enter into partnerships or go 3rd party.

This would badly damage their IPs though. The reason why their IPs are so valuable are because they're beloved to people and the reason for that is because millions play those games.

You need the hardware to facilitate that though.

Renegade

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I'm thinking a mix of Game Boy Advance/Gamecube with Microsoft's Portable Media Center and DirectX CE API :D

The advantages are too pronounced, however Microsoft and Nintendo work in opposite directions. I doubt it'd work out, although MS has offered 25 BILLION to work with them and it *almost* went through. I can almost taste, however, wireless functionality between Microsoft's upcoming OSes and the Wifi/Bluetooth of the next GBA (As MS has been pushing for other portable media/multimedia devices). Can you imagine that?! It'd be amazing. MSN Messenger portable. Media Center Portable. Networking and wireless printing (Using a printer connected to your PC as the GBA printer and your digicam as the camera?). Music, Video and image storing/portable viewing. Plus, Microsoft has been prepping a challenger to the iTunes music service, and this could be the push needed to oppose and overtake the others in digital rights and management..

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Remember, guys: software drives hardware.

Sony IS a threat to nintendo, but this happened before: Gameboy vs. Game Gear

You have the original gameboy, and then you have the game gear, which had Sega's great first party games, 3rd party support just as good as the PSP is getting, and hardware somewhere between the NES and the Genesis, more towards the genesis.

Now, we have the DS, a system that's somewhere between N64 and DC Level hardware, closer to N64 level, against the PSP, somewhere between DC and Ps2 hardware.

Now, by all means, anything is possible. Sony could cream Nintendo. Nintendo could cream sony. It could turn out a draw. But this isn't the first time a Nintendo handheld has faced competition from another company that is releasing a portable that's extremely powerful, close to that of their current home systems.

True, Sega didn't have the cash that Sony did. But Sega had the support, they had the marketing, they had the same hardware advantages (and disadvantages) that Sony has over Nintendo with the PSP.

One thing's for sure: It's gonna be a war.

ge-man

soundwave05 said:

This would badly damage their IPs though. The reason why their IPs are so valuable are because they're beloved to people and the reason for that is because millions play those games.

You need the hardware to facilitate that though.

I don't know, they still have considerable strength with portables. I don't think going portable is going to damage things--they have essentially been the GameBoy company for a generation.

snapty00

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Sony IS a threat to nintendo, but this happened before: Gameboy vs. Game Gear
In my opinion, the fact that you even brought up the Game Gear screams that you don't "get it." This is not a Game Gear situation, and the comparison makes no sense on any level whatsoever.

GaimeGuy

Vagabond said:
I'm thinking a mix of Game Boy Advance/Gamecube with Microsoft's Portable Media Center and DirectX CE API :D

The advantages are too pronounced, however Microsoft and Nintendo work in opposite directions. I doubt it'd work out, although MS has offered 25 BILLION to work with them and it *almost* went through. I can almost taste, however, wireless functionality between Microsoft's upcoming OSes and the Wifi/Bluetooth of the next GBA (As MS has been pushing for other portable media/multimedia devices). Can you imagine that?! It'd be amazing. MSN Messenger portable. Media Center Portable. Networking and wireless printing (Using a printer connected to your PC as the GBA printer and your digicam as the camera?). Music, Video and image storing/portable viewing. Plus, Microsoft has been prepping a challenger to the iTunes music service, and this could be the push needed to oppose and overtake the others in digital rights and management..

Wait, it ALMOST went through? What's your source for that? We know that MS offered ~20 billion to buy Nintendo,and that Nintendo refused, but I have NEVER heard that it "almost went through."

Renegade

Banned
To hammer in a point: Could you imagine carrying your .Net passport on your GBA successor? ;) Microsoft still has some very "out there" and innovative uses for the fledgeling .Net infrastructure.

To address your point Vagabond, you just can't pull a Super Mario 64 outta your butt on cue. That's like asking a movie studio to pull out a Titanic or Sixth Sense every summer.
but until something on the level comes up within a few months of DS launch the touch screen capabilities would not even be an afterthought to the money spending consumer.

GaimeGuy

snapty00 said:
In my opinion, the fact that you even brought up the Game Gear screams that you don't "get it." This is not a Game Gear situation, and the comparison makes no sense on any level whatsoever.

Tell me how it doesn't make sense.

Renegade

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Wait, it ALMOST went through? What's your source for that? We know that MS offered ~20 billion to buy Nintendo,and that Nintendo refused, but I have NEVER heard that it "almost went through."
I'd read that Nintendo turned it down because they wanted to profit upon every point of sale and MS did not, (So they could gain a higher perception on the outing) So it kinda fizzled out where it had arose.

Renegade

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Tell me how it doesn't make sense.
The GameGear was horribly put together. I am willing to put money that if the GameGear had rechargeable batteries and multimedia capabilities that it would still be alive in some form even today.

GFord

Well, look at it this way.

With PSP you can play portable port's of PS2 games (GT4, Hot Shots Golf) at near PS2 graphical quality for about $50 more DS.

With DS you can play port's of N64 games (Mario 64, Ridge Racer 64) at near N64 graphical quality for about $50 less then PSP.

Hmmm....current generation portability vs. past/last generation portability?...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
GaimeGuy said:
...the game gear...hardware somewhere between the NES and the Genesis, more towards the genesis.

the game gear hardware was virtually identical to the master system's. it was nowhere near a genesis.

there's been other portable hardware that approaches the power of contemporary consoles -- the lynx, turbo express, and nomad come to mind -- but those machines sacrificed portability for power. they were huge. the psp isn't.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
soundwave05 said:
That's just public relations though people.
Maybe so, but there are good and bad ways to go about it...

"That's not a game machine," said Yasuhiro Minagawa, head of PR for Nintendo Co., Ltd. "They showed it at the [Tokyo] Game Show without any fundamental game software, and you can tell that it's not yet complete."
Tell me, who does this really speak to other than the already converted? Not to mention the oblique insult to developers of PSP software by suggesting they have yet to provide any "fundamental" software. Some of these devs are the same people that Nintendo is happy to list as providing DS software.

So there's Nintendo's approach in this case: Insult the competition in a way that is patently false and then threaten to burn some bridges with 3rd parties for good measure.

Meanwhile, Kutaragi's response amounts to saying, "May the best man win."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom