• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Reveals 3DS U.S. Launch Line Up (Pilotwings + Steel Diver!)

Gravijah

Anth0ny said:
Literally the only reason I'm getting it at launch right now is because I know that when I want it to play Zelda/Star Fox/whatever, it's going to be fucking sold out everywhere and impossible to find.

Oh, and camping out for it is gonna be fun as hell =)

As I've said a billion times before, I don't own a DSi so I'd like to play DSiware games and for DSi enhanced titles.
MidnightScott said:
SO PRETTY, I WANT IT NOWWWW

Just a month to go. So purty that blue is.

Kuran said:
Why no? The PSP is like the DS, a very unique game system with a very unique programming style needed to make it work well. The 3DS is a lot more like consoles, using the same programming standards and shaders and stuff that consoles do. That's why it was so easy for Capcom to port their main console engine to the 3DS, which allowed them to make SSFIV have close to console-exact graphics, minus some background animations. I'm not saying the 3DS is almost as powerful as a PS3/Xbox 360 or anything, but from a development perspective, it's more similar to those machines than to the PSP. Developers who are used to developing for modern consoles will find the 3DS easier to develop for than developers who are used to developing for the PSP.

Dreamwriter said:
Why no? The PSP is like the DS, a very unique game system with a very unique programming style needed to make it work well. The 3DS is a lot more like consoles, using the same programming standards and shaders and stuff that consoles do. That's why it was so easy for Capcom to port their main console engine to the 3DS, which allowed them to make SSFIV have close to console-exact graphics, minus some background animations. I'm not saying the 3DS is almost as powerful as a PS3/Xbox 360 or anything, but from a development perspective, it's more similar to those machines than to the PSP. Developers who are used to developing for modern consoles will find the 3DS easier to develop for than developers who are used to developing for the PSP.

Capcom could have gotten MT Framework on PSP as well if they knew they could bank a lot of money out of it the Wii has no shaders and it has MT Framework

its all about if they can milk some money out of it in time

Smiles and Cries said:
Capcom could have gotten MT Framework on PSP as well if they knew they could bank a lot of money out of it the Wii has no shaders and it has MT Framework

its all about if they can milk some money out of it in time
In two weeks though? It's not all about shaders, I said programming standards *like* shaders. A big part is OpenGL, which was only released for PSP in a commercial third-party library last year.

Pilotwings and Steel Diver will be Day 1 for me. (Although, I have a feeling that PW won't offer too much...)

Thinking about getting SSFIV as well, but it would be weird considering I have yet to play the console/PC version(s)...
Oh god, the kittens look so tempting, too. ;__;

I wish that LoZ and Kid Icarus were launch titles, but ah well.

I'm still undecided about what color to get. (I have both pre-ordered at Amazon just in case.)

Do we have any idea when 3DS demos will be gracing any game stores in the US? I really want to see the colors in person because I don't know whether I love or hate that blue. It looks different in every damn video/picture.

Nintendo 3DS Demo Pods for Hands-On

>>New York, NY 03/09/11 - 03/30/11

Grand Central Terminal87 East 42nd St.
New York, NY 10017

Mon - Fri: 8 am - 8 pm
Sat - Sun: 9 am - 8 pm

>>Chicago, IL 03/07/11 - 04/03/11

Citigroup Center500 W. Madison
Chicago, IL 60661

>>Los Angeles, CA 03/07/11 - 04/03/11

Third Street Promenade1351 Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Mon - Thurs: 10 am - 8 pm
Fri & Sat: 10 am - 10 pm
Sun: 11 am - 7 pm

>>San Francisco, CA 03/7/11 - 04/03/11

Pier 39Beach St. and The Embarcadero,
San Francisco, CA 94133

Mon - Sun: 11 am - 7 pm

No one on GAF went to these? GAF fails... damn I wish I could make it to NYC tomorrow :(

DAMMIT wrong thread damn google search

M3d10n

Dreamwriter said:
Except that it doesn't have shaders. It has vertex shaders (which are probably optional) and custom fixed function extensions that create shader-like effects (including normal mapped lighting).

The system can output many rendering effects that were not possible on PSP/Wii, but possible on PS3 and 360, but the programming is still much closer to PSP/Wii: you call API functions for setting rendering states and then issue the drawing commands.

On the PS3/360, as example, the developer must program the entire lighting pipeline. The 3DS offers a hardware lighting pipeline that does at least 50% of the work.

ToD_

Smiles and Cries said:
Nintendo 3DS Demo Pods for Hands-On

>>New York, NY 03/09/11 - 03/30/11

Grand Central Terminal87 East 42nd St.
New York, NY 10017

>>Chicago, IL 03/07/11 - 04/03/11

Citigroup Center500 W. Madison
Chicago, IL 60661

>>Los Angeles, CA 03/07/11 - 04/03/11

Third Street Promenade1351 Third Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Mon - Thurs: 10 am - 8 pm
Fri & Sat: 10 am - 10 pm
Sun: 11 am - 7 pm

>>San Francisco, CA 03/7/11 - 04/03/11

Pier 39Beach St. and The Embarcadero,
San Francisco, CA 94133

Mon - Sun: 11 am - 7 pm

No one on GAF went to these? GAF fails... damn I wish I could make it to NYC tomorrow :(

DAMMIT wrong thread damn google search

I'll be going to the Chicago location during my lunch in about an hour.

Top Bottom