• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals German sales numbers [Market leader in 2011]

Shiggy

The OP conflicts with the Germany BIU awards that BKK posted.

No Wii Fit Plus on the list, no NSMBW, no Mario Kart Wii, no nintendogs + cats.

Am I missing something here?

The BIU awards are LTD sales, the numbers published by Nintendo are 2011-only.

Jokeropia

Was it that bad? Well, the game deserved those sales imo.
No it really wasn't. We'll get a concrete number tomorrow, but here's what Nintendo said about it in their quarterly release:
With respect to the "Wii," "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword," the newest title of the "Zelda" series with its 25th anniversary, was launched and recorded strong sales, especially in the United States.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120126e.pdf

I haven't seen any coupons for videogames chains here. I have friends in Germany, and 32€ uhmmmmm... is the game multi-region? (Spanish subs or at least English subs)

And more info about the software in Germany, thanks to BKK (As I said in the PAL sales thread, Wii Party is my surprise of the list)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34460448&postcount=40

Zelda: SS could be anywhere between 100.000 and 200.000.

Hmmm I don't see much Nintendo dominance (if at all) in that list? The market seems pretty balanced.

Orgen

Yes, it is multi-region. If you want more information, just send a PM ;)

I'll talk to a friend of mine to see if he can get me the game. If I need more details I'll send you a PM, thanks! ;D

Those are LTD sales though, not just 2011.

Yep and it's been confusing it seems. I'll edit my post.

The OP conflicts with the Germany BIU awards that BKK posted.

No Wii Fit Plus on the list, no NSMBW, no Mario Kart Wii, no nintendogs + cats.

Am I missing something here?

The link I've posted are LTD (cumulative sales).

Don't see Wii Fit Plus though... shouldn't it be over 300K?

See the answer above. Maybe (just an example) Wii Fit Plus sold 600.000 until January 2011 and then another 300.000 for all 2011, making 900.000 total (so it doesn't appear in the link I've posted). Is that clear now?

User33 said:
This is the definition of a circle-jerk topic. Nobody actually cares about German sales numbers, so its just another topic for people to overblow 3DS's still unimpressive sales (worldwide) and bash the Vita

Wow... hahaha

This is the definition of a circle-jerk topic. Nobody actually cares about German sales numbers, so its just another topic for people to overblow 3DS's still unimpressive sales (worldwide) and bash the Vita

I certainly don't care about German sales, but it's interesting to see 3DS is doing well compared to expectations.

Shiggy

Don't see Wii Fit Plus though... shouldn't it be over 300K?

I need to correct myself, the award is indeed only given if sales hit a certain milestone within 12 months. I don't know what happened there.

Why on Earth are the Germans still buying Wiis?

Fitness & party titles. Kinect/360 is a pretty non-thing in Germany.

No. DS family is DS+DSi+DSiXL

It's not entirely clear in this case. In the paragraph they start with 3DS numbers, then they go on with how much 3DS and DS sold together in 2011, and then they say what the installed base of the DS family is. If they exclude the 3DS, the DS must have sold around a 1.1 million in Q4 2011.

Concerning PC gaming:
PC games accounted for around 40% of software revenue in 2006, since then it's around 25-30%.

Jokeropia

This is the dumbest post in the entire thread, and it's terribly ignorant, too. Launch aligned, the 3DS equals GBA as the fastest selling system in history at this point. (Despite the slow start!) How is that unimpressive?

Boney

Banned

hey you're not amir0x

Gravijah

if you find german sales so unimportant why did you click on a topic regarding german sales?

not really sure how the vita factors into any of this either...

saichi

The link I've posted are LTD (cumulative sales).

See the answer above. Maybe (just an example) Wii Fit Plus sold 600.000 until January 2011 and then another 300.000 for all 2011, making 900.000 total (so it doesn't appear in the link I've posted). Is that clear now?

No it still doesn't make any sense. If it's 900K LTD, shouldn't it be listed in 500K+ category?

Delio

Someone seems upset over nothing at all :/

wrowa

Shocking secret: Quite a bunch of people in GAF are from Germany. And many are posting in this very thread.

jcm

in soviet rus- in soviet germ- in germany sales, ar..nevermind..
Nintendo couldn't stop making money if they tried.
Sure they can.

Nintendo Warns Losses Will Mount

TOKYO—Grappling with a sluggish debut for its new hand-held game system and petering demand for its flagship home console, Nintendo Co. swung to a loss for the first nine months of its fiscal year and scaled back sales forecasts for its 3DS portable system and Wii.

The Kyoto-based videogame maker also offered an even bleaker outlook for its full-year earnings for the year to March, saying Thursday that net losses will be three times greater than its projections in October as valuation losses on foreign-currency holdings from the strong yen continued to swell.

The loss comes as Nintendo is replacing aging videogame machines with new ones, while trying to cope with the technological change in the industry, specifically smartphones and tablet computers offering simple-to-play games at a fraction of the price of games available on dedicated game machines such as the 3DS.

For the full-year ending March, Nintendo expects a net loss of ¥65 billion on revenue of ¥660 billion. It had been projecting a loss of ¥20 billion yen on revenue of ¥790 billion.

This is the dumbest post in the entire thread, and it's terribly ignorant, too. Launch aligned, the 3DS equals GBA as the fastest selling system in history at this point. (Despite the slow start!) How is that unimpressive?
That was a stupid post, but they did have to reduce the sales forecasts despite having cut the price 40%.

jcm

Doesn't make the actual absolute number any less impressive.

It's a matter of perspective. Running a marathon in 2:30 is to me very impressive, but it wouldn't crack the top 50 in Berlin. If Patrick Makau runs a 2:30 it's unimpressive.

Nintendo expects to sell 14M 3DS this year, which is impressive. Nintendo's original plan this year was to do ~$4B in 3DS hardware revenue. That's been lowered to ~$3.5B. Software revenue is even worse. Compared to Nintendo's expectations, 3DS sales are unimpressive.

Jokeropia

It's a matter of perspective. Running a marathon in 2:30 is to me very impressive, but it wouldn't crack the top 50 in Berlin. If Patrick Makau runs a 2:30 it's unimpressive.
Your analogy is flawed since the 3DS just broke the record. The proper way to do that analogy would be Patrick Makau running in 1:59 while aiming for 1:45 or something. I would still consider that impressive.

Furthermore, the fact that it had quite a slow start makes the most recent sales even moreso.

Top Bottom