• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sends special braille letter to a blind fan

spekkeh

Banned
I'm running a fever and that yokoi anecdote gave me some chills.
But yeah sweet. I hope he tried out 1-2 Switch by now too, one of the other very few games that blind people can play. Outside of console warriorism I think a AAA company that puts in work to create games for challenged people is something we should all celebrate.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Another sound only title is Sound Voyager for the GameBoy Advance.

p922QIx.jpg

Phu

Banned
I guess this is the first time I've considered it, but why don't we ever layer the braille and inked text for stuff like this?

jennetics

Making lifelong customers with small but meaningful gestures.

I remember buying a Wii about 5 years ago. I noticed that my Gamecube discs weren't working so I called Nintendo and they informed me that the Wii I bought was one of the newer models that took away BC. I was crushed because I had so many Gamecube games that I was going to get back into with the Wii. So the lady told me I was basically out of luck and I hung up the phone.

15 minutes later, the same lady calls me back and says she talked with her supervisor about my situation. She offered to take my Wii in for "repairs" and then ship back a Wii model that had BC.

Super nice of them to do that, I bought so many Wii games afterwards...so I guess they made even more money off of me by offering some goodwill :)

I'm running a fever and that yokoi anecdote gave me some chills.
But yeah sweet. I hope he tried out 1-2 Switch by now too, one of the other very few games that blind people can play. Outside of console warriorism I think a AAA company that puts in work to create games for challenged people is something we should all celebrate.

I think that's just your fever ;)

Kthulhu

I'm crying. What a beautiful letter.

I wish more developers actually put in an effort to make their games more accessible. Button mapping and subtitles for speech, music cues and sound effects should be standard by this point.

The fact that deaf gamers don't even have decent accommodations for gaming is whack as it is. I can't imagine how tough it must be for blind folks.

Most games have subtitles. What else could be done?

TEJ

This is why I will always support Nintendo.

“Above all, video games are meant to just be one thing: Fun for everyone.”

boiled goose

good with gravy
Also, all games could do more to accommodate disabilities... one hand controls, more sound feedback, etc.

Huh? Subtitles just address dialogue. Lots of games have feedback that is audio only. An option to add visual cues for all or most critical audio feedback would make games more playable for deaf gamers.

Also, I can easily conceive of hardware solutions that translate audio into some other form of physical feedback, like a 3d rumble stage, or a visualization.

rockyt

Although that is true, buy a lot of them put subtitle in as an afterthought which is barely readable due to the small size and most of time the chosen color scheme makes the letters barely legible ad well.

Top Bottom