• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

The1Ski

I'm now wondering what the historical gameplay-to-filler ratio we have typically seen in Nintendo directs and conference presentations...

Even if we're talking about 1/3 fill, 2/3 gameplay/announcements, that's not a lot of time for stuff most people care about

I never played terra battle, I just realized i never really looked at any footage of it either :S
How does it play exactly?

8efHPZHBOkER_GUoc8hD7JR38Lll6uhcESjEH1u5znYAKol5__MGbMoy0t7fbMBhpw=h900

Forgive me its been years, yet I still have it installed on my phone because I never wrote down my account recovery number and at the time I stopped I did have the space to update it and play.

What you need to remember is the squares represent both your enemies (the big square is a boss) and your party. Every character has a turn and you want to move the character square past other party squares to reposition them to attack. Best to watch a video.

There's a neat puzzle/turn-based rpg hybrid to the combat. Is stopped right before The Last Story epilogue launched so game play for that should definitely be the same.

MoonFrog

Getting back on track, yeah, I think what Nintendo are going for is using the Direct to show off the game trailers themselves briskly, and then go more in detail with actual gameplay and such during Treehouse. People always talk about gameplay demos dragging the pace during the actual E3 presentations, so I guess they're trying to keep it, but just move it around to keep people's attention spans happy. Having their cake and eat it too. Honestly though like I've said, if you cut out all the developer stories from the 2014 and 2015 directs, they probably come down to around 30 games. 25 minutes is plenty if they're going bang-bang-bang game-game-game.

Someone did a breakdown of E3 2013 earlier and I think that's the best model to look at. Show off a bunch of games we already knew about, one last 2017 surprise, and then no more than 3 2018 games.
Hmmm...Xenoblade 2, FE, Retro? I think those would be my 2018 guesses. Perhaps replace one with Smash.

I think XB shows whether delayed or not.

FE could skip if it isn't early 2018, but late 2018.

I think Retro is probably early 2018 unless this is a really ambitious project or got a bit lost in development.

Gradivus

I'm now wondering what the historical gameplay-to-filler ratio we have typically seen in Nintendo directs and conference presentations...

Even if we're talking about 1/3 fill, 2/3 gameplay/announcements, that's not a lot of time for stuff most people care about

If you look back at the April one, I think it would be similar to that. Then gameplay stuff will be the treehouse segment later.

I'm not expecting many new reveals but boy am I excited to see more of Super Mario Odyssey! I'm expecting the hats to provide some insane new power ups!!

If I dare to dream then they also reveal Pikmin 4 even if it's not out until 2018 I'll be happy. After Mario, Pikmin is my favourite Nintendo franchise.

13ruce

Banned
Seems like they will show more in the first hour of the treehouse segment right after that spotlight.

So maybe even some announcements there (the big ones are ofcourse during the spotlight so my guess is indie and 3ds stuff) ?

Hmmm...Xenoblade 2, FE, Retro? I think those would be my 2018 guesses. Perhaps replace one with Smash.

I think XB shows whether delayed or not.

FE could skip if it isn't early 2018, but late 2018.

I think Retro is probably early 2018 unless this is a really ambitious project or got a bit lost in development.

I've said it before but my bets are:

- Retro game: because everyone knows how much thirst there is to see what they're working on. At 4 years, they've had plenty of time to cook something up and have it ready to show.
- Animal Crossing: It's one of their biggest IPs, and they have the mobile game coming out before the FY, so they might want to announce a Switch game to go along with it
- Smash Bros: I can't see Smash being announced outside E3. If it's coming, we'll know then.
- Xenoblade 2 only if it's delayed

Fire Emblem might be teased, but I see it in a future direct. All in all that's not a bad sample of what Switch Year 2 would have to offer, and I'd imagine all of those would make Q1/Q2 releases.

So what does Pachter being wrong again with Scorpio price mean with Metroid?

I know it means nothing but with the NBA finals going on I couldn't help but be reminded of Stephen A. Smith picking the wrong winner of the NBA finals six years in a row when he had a 50% chance each time and is a basketball analyst.

His prediction this finals even made note of how he's always wrong.

MoonFrog

So what does Pachter being wrong again with Scorpio price mean with Metroid?

I know it means nothing but with the NBA finals going on I couldn't help but be reminded of Stephen A. Smith picking the wrong winner of the NBA finals six years in a row when he had a 50% chance each time and is a basketball analyst.

His prediction this finals even made note of how he's always wrong.
Sometimes knowing more leads you to error more as you have more of a reason to what you pick.

Gartooth

I have a feeling we see something of Fire Emblem on the Switch. There's been enough teasing and so far I think it is the only official 2018 Switch game we know is coming from Nintendo.

sfried

Wait...I fail to see the correlation with any of Microsoft's announcements to...Metroid not being on the Switch.

Like, I know you guys at GAF want to be pessimist towards Nintendo, but let's be at least be sane about it.

tl;dr - Please keep talk about Nintendo's presentation here. I'm aware of the Minecraft crossplay between Xbox1/X and Switch, but...It's not exactly what's exactly the highlight of Nintendo's own Direct.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Forgive me its been years, yet I still have it installed on my phone because I never wrote down my account recovery number and at the time I stopped I did have the space to update it and play.

What you need to remember is the squares represent both your enemies (the big square is a boss) and your party. Every character has a turn and you want to move the character square past other party squares to reposition them to attack. Best to watch a video.

There's a neat puzzle/turn-based rpg hybrid to the combat. Is stopped right before The Last Story epilogue launched so game play for that should definitely be the same.

Ok, thanks for the explanation, was expecting more larger than life art because of the TLS artist working on it.

Plum

If Nintendo's making a Metroid game they need to savour that hype. Don't just show Samus straight away, have the audience guessing as to what the game is, have them excited. Then show Samus and let GAF and the internet go fucking crazy. End it with "Metroid Dread" and "2018," then just drop the damn mic.

I've got a feeling that this is the year, GAF, it's time.

3 minutes of surprise Switch game.
7 minutes of Odyssey
4 minutes for Splatoon 2
2 Minutes of indie game showcase
4 minutes Xenoblade Chronicles 2
5 minutes Fire Emblem Warriors
2 Minutes of News/DLC
3 Minutes final surpirse

KingBroly

Banned
If Nintendo's making a Metroid game they need to savour that hype. Don't just show Samus straight away, have the audience guessing as to what the game is, have them excited. Then show Samus and let GAF and the internet go fucking crazy. End it with "Metroid Dread" and "2018," then just drop the damn mic.

I've got a feeling that this is the year, GAF, it's time.

IF they announce a new Metroid game, and that's a HUGE "IF," I doubt we get a single screenshot, logo or video. We might get a 'hey, Metroid's in development by so and so.' But that's only if they feel generous and Metroid won a coin flip between itself and Urban Champion.

MoonFrog

The E is a Gamestop DLC exclusive.

lol

IF they announce a new Metroid game, and that's a HUGE "IF," I doubt we get a single screenshot, logo or video. We might get a 'hey, Metroid's in development by so and so.' But that's only if they feel generous and Metroid won a coin flip between itself and Urban Champion.

I don't think Metroid is this dead. I think no announcement is more likely than an announcement, no matter what I believe in my heart, and I also think the threat of a monkey paw is real indeed but...if it is announced, they'll have a logo at least :p.

Plum

10 minutes of Mario Odyssey
5 minutes of BOTW DLC
5 minutes of Rabbids
4 minutes of Sticker Star Deluxe
1 minute of Metroid... DLC for 1-2-Switch

Plum

Reggie did say to look out this year for Metroid news. If it's not revealed I will be fine eating crow because this year I'm believing.

...if it does happen will you change your avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom