• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo still taking down youtube content with copyright claims?

Roto13

People wondering why the robot that automatically flags every video with Nintendo content doesn't deal with each video on a case-by-case basis.

Ok.

Tripon

People wondering why the robot that automatically flags every video with Nintendo content doesn't deal with each video on a case-by-case basis.

Ok.

You mean to tell me we haven't developed AI to think and feel yet?

But when can I get my fembot with real emotions then?

Twitter is toxic and it should be bombed soon.

Twitter does have its own separate value. As a company, you have to have one nowadays and thus it's become a sort of forced information-providing and public response channel, where you simply have to address grievances if you don't want a PR disaster to suddenly steamroll you. But, yeah, I think that if there's one thing everybody in this thread can agree on, it's that Twitter is where intellectual discourse goes to die in a horrible cesspool of fallacies, hate and sycophancy.

Roto13

Twitter does have its own separate value. As a company, you have to have one nowadays and thus it's become a sort of forced information-providing and public response channel, where you simply have to address grievances if you don't want a PR disaster to suddenly steamroll you. But, yeah, I think that if there's one thing everybody in this thread can agree on, it's that Twitter is where intellectual discourse goes to die in a horrible cesspool of fallacies, hate and sycophancy.

Or maybe the problem isn't Twitter, it's TB, because he's a dickhead wherever he is?

Exile20

So the people that are saying it is only a trailer and it is free and an advertisement.

Is it okay to have a youtube channel dedicated to playing demos and being paid for it?
I mean it is free and an advertisement right?

Where is this line of free advertising for the company drawn? Demos? trailers? full games?

I know this is a touchy subject.

Chuckpebble

I'm not 100% with how YouTube works, but let me try and lay this out, maybe people can verify it.

As a copyright owner, you are allowed to upload things to YouTube for content matching, YouTube then content matches that to what normal users upload and can take certain actions based on what the owner selects.

This happened before with let's plays. The action Nintendo selected was not to take videos down, but not to allow the users to monetize. Nintendo could then run ads. This led to a huge outcry from the LP community. Nintendo capitulated on this, gamers are now monetizing Nintendo games. I would imagine Nintendo is still content matching these things, but taking no action, in order to prevent someone else from taking ownership. I don't know that that's even an option or if there's a reason to do that.

Now what we have today is different. This is a trailer. Why would they content match that? Its an ad, and they're only showing it for a short segment of a 3 hour podcast. This really sucks, but this is not Nintendo's fault, its an unfortunate side effect of how YouTube works.

Nintendo DOES have valid reason to content match every single one of its trailers. Tell me. Is it ethical to download that entire Pokemon trailer and upload it to my channel un-edited and monetize it? Nintendo has every right to block that kind of shit from happening. Other review sites have been hit by false positives, and they get it sorted in a civil manner. Its unfortunate, its how YouTube works.

TB is a PC guy. He's attacking Nintendo for a dumb reason, but I wouldn't suggest he's not as smart as he thinks he is, stirring shit like this is good for views. Wouldn't be surprised if his average views are higher for "the podcast Nintendo didn't want you to see".

I hope you don't feel smart when you post something like this.

If you want to be consistent, then virtually everything on Twitch.tv breaks copyright law, or to be more accurate, "infringes on copyright." Any publisher has the right to swoop in and prohibit their products from being streamed if they so choose to expend the time and legal resources to fight that battle. Are you going to sit here and tell me that everyone using that site is a non-compliant criminal for not obtaining express written consent to stream other people's copyrighted works?

There's a lot of nuance to be found in this issue. Corporations like Nintendo are technically in the right to exercise tight control over their works, but the question isn't "can they," it's "should they." I'm hard-pressed to see what they gain from it.

It's possible to simultaneously think that Totalbisuit is a childish assclown who plays favorites, hurts his case, and is logically inconsistent, while also thinking that this particular issue really is something that needs to be challenged when the situation calls for it.

Well first off, my original response was merely to point out that you cannot expect to be paid for your work when you break the law to complete that work. But I'll respond anyway, to your kinda flamebait post tbh.

The legal question is fairly simple. Yes if you are breaking laws, like the DMCA, which have criminal penalties then you are in fact a "non-compliant" criminal for breaking those laws. Whether you'll be prosecuted is a completely different question and there is no defense of "Oh but there are hundreds of others like me, why target me?"

People can argue against Nintendo's policy all they want but at the end of the day it is up to them, and only them, whether to change the policy or not.

He did free publicity for Nintendo by showing the trailer. He did not show a movie. He did not show something else. He showed a trailer of the game. Really, Japanese companies seem to have a lot of problem to understand how the internet work somehow. Free Publicity is good publicity.
And why is IGN allowed to show a trailer, in slow, slow, slow motion, showing every detail possible on the trailer, but showing the trailer as it's shown on multiple website not. I know it's a automatic process, but still. It's not a movie. It's an ad.

The fact that it isn't considered a movie is irrelevant really. And generally speaking, they send trailers and promotional materials to sites like IGN and most importantly they give them permission to post them. It is really up to Nintendo, the owner of the content, to determine who can show it off and who cannot.

edit:

In this scenario specifically, lets say Nintendo wants to give a site like IGN trailer 3 days of trailer exclusivity to help drive views to their site in return for some marketing ads. TB or some other youtuber puts the trailer up on his podcast or channel or whatever, and suddenly the exclusivity deal is of much less value to IGN. Nintendo wants to secure the relationship by ensuring IGN has exclusivity, or at least make a good faith effort, and has the youtube channel take it down. Can you see what I am saying here? It is their choice for a reason.

Its a visual aid in the podcast. The four participants were discussing pokemon and there was the little trailer on the bottom. It lasted for about 2 minutes, they also showed what looked to be trailers of other games as well, no issues there. This isnt the first podcast this group has done i'm sure they know how it works

Dragoshi1

I recorded a wifi battle in Pokemon Y and uploaded to Youtube, yet I got tagged with a matched 3rd party content thing for the MUSIC coming out of my 3DS...

Top Bottom