• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Street Team Heads off PSP Launch

Dram

http://articles.filefront.com/Nintendo_Street_Team
_Heads_off_PSP_Launch/;584;;;/article.html

The Big N announced Tuesday that the Nintendo Street Team – a public relations group of young, die-hard Nintendo salespeople – will spend Spring and Summer hitting up a number of “trendsetter” locations across the country, demo-ing Nintendo DS and GameCube titles.

As part of the TechKnowOverload (TKO) Tour, Nintendo will travel to 15 college campuses. The company’s Street Team will also show off its products during SoBe Beverages’ Love Bus Tour, the U.S. Snowboarding Championships, the Taste of Chaos Rock Tour, and the Winter Music Conference, among many other beach, ski, and concert venues.

“Thousands of teens and college students will have the opportunity to sample, play and enjoy the hottest new Nintendo systems and games,” said George Harrison, Nintendo of America’s senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications in a press release. “Nintendo is reaching out to teens and college students, and now they're making us a part of their lifestyles.”

Although Nintendo has sold about 2 million DS units in the U.S. since the portable’s November 2004 launch, many pundits believe PSP’s more advanced technology, sleek appearance, and Playstation brand name will take a fair amount of adult gamers away from the already young-skewing DS and GBA platforms.

The November 5 2004 issue of the Wall Street Journal noted that the average age of a GBA owner was 14.

In a USA TODAY article on Wednesday, Electronic Gaming Monthly’s Dan Hsu expressed much of the sentiment FileFront encountered at the Game Developers Conference regarding DS’s pending battle against PSP, when he declared, “All of a sudden, handheld gaming is moving out of the Little League to something that adults can enjoy and not be embarrassed about.”

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
"In a USA TODAY article on Wednesday, Electronic Gaming Monthly’s Dan Hsu expressed much of the sentiment FileFront encountered at the Game Developers Conference regarding DS’s pending battle against PSP, when he declared, “All of a sudden, handheld gaming is moving out of the Little League to something that adults can enjoy and not be embarrassed about.”"

TEH BIAS

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If people were honestly embarrassed about playing handheld games before, I think they have more to worry about than getting the cash for a PSP :lol

lexi

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
If people were honestly embarrassed about playing handheld games before, I think they have more to worry about than getting the cash for a PSP :lol

SHUT UP NERD LOLLERZ

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was at my allergist yesterday getting a shot. I had to wait a half hour in case my neck exploded, or whatever, and some dude walks in with and starts playing a PSP. I only had Wipeout, so I was craning my neck to see if he was playing Wipeout too, or if he was instead a communist. Fuckin' Lumines, only time I've ever been sad to see it. I would have asked him if he had Wipeout but it would have looked gay. So I didn't.

But this entire lame story does have point - that I think games should advertise their presence, like a friends list on Xbox Live, but proximity-based. So I don't have to make with the homoerotic overtures.

Discuss.

Firest0rm

Stinkles said:
I was at my allergist yesterday getting a shot. I had to wait a half hour in case my neck exploded, or whatever, and some dude walks in with and starts playing a PSP. I only had Wipeout, so I was craning my neck to see if he was playing Wipeout too, or if he was instead a communist. Fuckin' Lumines, only time I've ever been sad to see it. I would have asked him if he had Wipeout but it would have looked gay. So I didn't.

But this entire lame story does have point - that I think games should advertise their presence, like a friends list on Xbox Live, but proximity-based. So I don't have to make with the homoerotic overtures.

Discuss.

You are a living example of what MS is trying to do to us. Isn't it strange how they like to promote playing online rather than at each others houses? And now with rumors that Xbox 2 will have only 2 controller slots adds to the fuel. Their trying to ruin everyones social life. Limit physical confrontation. Look at you! Your afraid of talking to someone in the same room to see if they would possibly wanna play a game. Instead you want to hide behind the electronical barrier that MS has made you a slave of. Your weak, very weak. Feel ashamed. DOWN WITH XBOX, VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!

goomba

Banned
" that I think games should advertise their presence, like a friends list on Xbox Live, but proximity-based. So I don't have to make with the homoerotic overtures. "

BUY A DS

GhaleonEB

So I don't have to make with the homoerotic overtures. Discuss.

zardoz.gif

...what's there to say, really?

Firest0rm said:
You are a living example of what MS is trying to do to us. Isn't it strange how they like to promote playing online rather than at each others houses? And now with rumors that Xbox 2 will have only 2 controller slots adds to the fuel. Their trying to ruin everyones social life. Limit physical confrontation. Look at you! Your afraid of talking to someone in the same room to see if they would possibly wanna play a game. Instead you want to hide behind the electronical barrier that MS has made you a slave of. Your weak, very weak. Feel ashamed. DOWN WITH XBOX, VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!

:lol :lol

shuri

Banned
goomba said:
" that I think games should advertise their presence, like a friends list on Xbox Live, but proximity-based. So I don't have to make with the homoerotic overtures. "

BUY A DS

"hey lil girl.. wanna trade nintendogs with me?.." :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
Firest0rm said:

:lol

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't know if this is related. But I saw a big Nintendo DS van on 6th street (Austin, TX bar / club district) on Friday night. I think they might have been here for SXSW or something, the van was just parked outside of a club...it had "Touch!" and all these squares all over it.

I'm ok with this Street Team, as long as they give me free stuff. I don't want to play a bunch of demos for games that came out months ago. I want t-shirts, mugs, posters, upcoming game demos, keychains, and figurines.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
It doesn't matter how many college campuses Nintendo visits if the games they have on their consoles are cute and fluffy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was WEARING this costume at the Allergist. It couldn't have helped but to turn sexy. And back to the point - should PSP (and DS) games go "BING!" when another game gets close enough?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Stinkles said:
I was WEARING this costume at the Allergist. It couldn't have helped but to turn sexy. And back to the point - should PSP (and DS) games go "BING!" when another game gets close enough?
Isn't that In the Japanese NDS?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hmm, the PSP should be advertising at the Winter Music Conference/Ultra Music Festival rather than the DS - games like Lumines and Wipeout Pure would definitely raise a lot of heads. One thing I've always liked about Sony was that they're always embracing electronic dance music in their promotional events - like Area 2 and the PS2 Dual Play Tour (which has featured people like Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, and Paul Van Dyk)

8bit

Knows the Score
Unison said:
zardoz.gif

The Gun is Good. The Penis is Evil.

The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill!

Tellaerin

Stinkles said:
And back to the point - should PSP (and DS) games go "BING!" when another game gets close enough?

Hell no, at least not unless this 'feature' can be easily turned off. Why should my games announce themselves to random strangers? Unless I'm actively searching for someone else in the area to play a network game with, what I'm playing is nobody's damn business but my own.

tetsuoxb

djtiesto said:
Hmm, the PSP should be advertising at the Winter Music Conference/Ultra Music Festival rather than the DS - games like Lumines and Wipeout Pure would definitely raise a lot of heads. One thing I've always liked about Sony was that they're always embracing electronic dance music in their promotional events - like Area 2 and the PS2 Dual Play Tour (which has featured people like Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, and Paul Van Dyk)

One of the sad things about your post is that Ferry isnt a gamer at all. I was playing DS when we hung out before his set in Tokyo and showed it to him. He was completely unmoved. He would rather play around making tracks on his laptop than play games....

Top Bottom