• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch #1 Selling Hardware in September. Nintendo Systems = 2/3 Total sales.

FelipeMGM

I'd also bet on around 8m, but partially because while the shipment ratios may have changed, it's likely that the shipment amounts have increased pretty heavily. We know what they've increased by in Japan but the US has seen quite a big stock boost too, likely higher than that in Japan (relatively speaking).

I'm guessing something like 7.3-7.5m WW will be announced at their earnings report in 2 weeks for the total through September.

ah, just did a guess that is basically that too, 7.2M for the low end and 7.5 for the high

Very impressive numbers either way

Preach. Okami HD not being on Switch is a fucking travesty and I really can't fathom what the hell they are doing over there. I'ts just not comprehensible in any shape or form.

I think the cheap-ass minigames announced for the Revelations ports is proof that Capcom has no idea why the Switch is successful or who is buying the system. I think they still view the console as a cute novelty device.

ryushe

Bet Microsoft is really sweating now. They constantly get beat and pretty badly by the PS4 and now they have another competitor that is likely to erode even more of their muscle to control what games go on their system. If Switch continues like this all year there’d be no reason for Japanese games to go to Xbox One.
There are Japanese games coming to the XB1?

Preach. Okami HD not being on Switch is a fucking travesty and I really can't fathom what the hell they are doing over there. I'ts just not comprehensible in any shape or form.

Yea, Capcom has clearly made a mistake in not supporting the Switch better. I can understand some of the new titles not releasing since they have been in development for years but some of these ports should have been ready for Switch and has clearly cost Capcom sales.

I'd also add Dragons Dogma as I think that game could have sold decently on Switch as well. The real headscratchers are Disney Afternoon Collection and Mega Man Legacy 2 collection since those are basically just ROM dumps and should really only require the bare minimum effort. Really no reason those weren't released on Switch as well and Capcom surely lost sales skipping Switch.

Neoxon

I'm talking about World though?

How early did Capcom know of the Switch? Because World has been in development for 4-5 years.

And Nintendo knew of the Switch but still released Metroid only on 3DS. ��
That's why I can kinda understand why World isn't on the Switch. Maybe it can get a late port, but it'll be concerning if the Switch doesn't get any MH games afterwards. Plus there's Ace Attorney to consider, but I'm already seeing some theorize that AA may move to mobile.

DrGrus

So Switch likely over 6 million units and we're not even in the holiday period.

Depending on how much they were able to produce for the holiday season, I can see it hitting 10 million units WW before the end of the calendar year.

That should be minimum. Nintendo is planning to ship 10 this FY. With 2.7 sold last FY and that they need to ship on average 2.5 million per quarter = 10 millions.

Raytow

Yeah it's pretty confusing. It's good the Switch is doing well, but there's only a few million of them sold whereas there are nearly 100 millions PS4s and Xboxs out there, so what are they supposed to be losing out on here?
Salty nintendo fanboy, that is the only explanation really.

Feel like Nintendo didn’t push Pokken at all. They just kind of shoved it out there

Like I didn’t see any marketing for it. Did they even push out those fight pads or any bundles like they did with the WiiU version? Guess they figured it was Pokémon so they didn’t need to?

Kind of feel similar about Fire Emblem. Like comes out a week before Mario. They’ve barely talked about it. Expect that to do pretty poorly too

Seems Nintendo hasn’t released so many games so fast in so long they don’t even know what to do with themselves

Velius

Banned
They played themselves by having nothing of note ready for the system in any territory. Now they're trying to play catch up while their competitors are making "itprintsmoney" gifs.

It's really strange because Capcom has never been shy about jumping into new platforms head first but maybe their recent underperforming games have made them a lot more conservative about greenlighting projects.

I can't blame them about MHW, the Switch didn't exist back when they started development, but not at least having XX ready to go at launch when everyone and their grandmother was expecting it given the timing is a huge headscratcher.

Bethesda really hopped on the train didn't they? Good for them, I hope they make tons of money.

And for some reason I can't really articulate, I feel like Doom especially will rake in a ton of cash for them. It's like... no game like that has been on a Nintendo console in a long time. I feel like a lot of people will be very curious about it. If that's true, Wolf II will be a lock.

Infinite

You acting like porting a game is easy ?
Maybe if switch was around the same power .
Capcom already doing 3 version of the game and switch would very different from those version in term of man power need to port .
I'm acting like capcom should have gotten their flagship franchise on the next successful Nintendo handheld

T-Rex.

Banned
Honestly, when they announced it I saw it and thought it looked dumb. Everything about it screamed bomba to me, but the software line-up has been ridiculous for year one. I'm picking mine up next week (hopefully) with the launch of Odyssey.

Renna Hazel

Hmm so the rankings are probably something like

1. NBA PS4
2. Destiny PS4
3. Destiny Xbox
4. NBA Xbox
5. Madden PS4
6. ???
7. Mario and Rabbids

That's not bad placement for rabbids considering what's above it.

jwhit28

Feel like Nintendo didn’t push Pokken at all. They just kind of shoved it out there

Like I didn’t see any marketing for it. Did they even push out those fight pads or any bundles like they did with the WiiU version? Guess they figured it was Pokémon so they didn’t need to?

Kind of feel similar about Fire Emblem. Like comes out a week before Mario. They’ve barely talked about it. Expect that to do pretty poorly too

Seems Nintendo hasn’t released so many games so fast in so long they don’t even know what to do with themselves
Warriors had all of the reveal trailers and I have caught the commercial on TV a couple of times.

D.Lo

Nah, I remember the NPD threads where the main interest from Gaffers surrounded the home consoles. It probably always has. (Meanwhile Nintendo usually dominated the handheld market, which also made it less exciting to follow.)
You remember how far back exactly?

The DS and 3DS were huge sales news (the latter for bad reasons, at least initially). DS in particular was a big sale story. It stared slow, then Nintendogs, Brain training and NSMB made it the fastest selling device ever seen. It sold as much as the PS2 in a much quicker time. DS was the second biggest story (after the Wii insanity) in terms of sales news of the last decade. And 3DS was a huge story due to the sales crash and recovery all in one year.

It's part of our loot crate initiative for 2017.
I'll pay this joke.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm happily eating crow over the Switch. For a while there I was convinced Nintendo had another Wii U on their hands. Hopefully they can keep all this great momentum going beyond the holidays and into next year.

I think a lot of people did, myself included

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, Mat from NPD here.

Just to avoid confusion later, the rankings shared are packaged unit sales rankings at the SKU level.

The rankings we will be releasing later today will be packaged + digital revenue sales rankings at the title rollup level.

Cheers

I have a question. We recently had someone arguing that net sales (specially retail sales) are now close to irrelevant for evaluating the health of a product, and that other metrics like engagement and retention are more important. He was specially talking about Destiny 2. Do you agree with that?

Philippo

Congrats to Ninty.
I wonder how Sony feels about this though, it feels like Nintendo has been constantly stealing sales from them since March.

I mean not really since one has an install base of 50~60+ mlns and the other one is new

then again my sales knowledge is basically 0 so probably i'm talking nonsense

Warriors had all of the reveal trailers and I have caught the commercial on TV a couple of times.
Well that’s good at least

But still. Releasing a week before Mario seems like a bad idea. I don’t remember them ever doing anything like that before, releasing to big console games a week apart. Think pushing it to November would have been a better idea

Congrats to Ninty.
I wonder how Sony feels about this though, it feels like Nintendo has been constantly stealing sales from them since March.

I mean not really since one has an install base of 50~60+ mlns and the other one is new

PS4 is up YoY. Switch hasn't really had an impact on it so far.

Plum

Yeah it's pretty confusing. It's good the Switch is doing well, but there's only a few million of them sold whereas there are nearly 100 millions PS4s and Xboxs out there, so what are they supposed to be losing out on here?

This
And this
And this

Funnily enough that last one is Capcom yet, for some reason, they've yet to take the hint.

But still. Releasing a week before Mario seems like a bad idea. I don’t remember them ever doing anything like that before, releasing to big console games a week apart. Think pushing it to November would have been a better idea

I think they want to keep November clear of major first party titles to let some big third party titles have room to breathe. That's why we have DOOM coming out a week before Skyrim, then LA Noire.

I take this schedule congestion to mean that Nintendo just has too many games in the works :D

Not a huge Nintendo guy as I use to be but happy to see the Switch doing so well, gonna push a lot of units during the holidays season. Diverse lineup of games really helping it.

Looking forward to Mario and possibly the new Xeno.

Hmm so the rankings are probably something like

1. NBA PS4
2. Destiny PS4
3. Destiny Xbox
4. NBA Xbox
5. Madden PS4
6. ???
7. Mario and Rabbids

That's not bad placement for rabbids considering what's above it.

Also seems like a pretty good result for Metroid Samus Returns, which makes me happy. I was worried not releasing on Switch would have caused it to underperform and Nintendo may draw the wrong conclusions from the data. Hopefully this means it met expectations.

jwhit28

I agree with you there. I might have gotten it last week, but as of now I think it is something I'll pick up during holiday sales. It will be a good buy2get1 free title.

Neoxon

The worst title they probably will have on the switch in a long time. This is mind boggling why they would sneak this in on the lineup and not Smash U remastered. Should had just went with the kill and just shit all on the others 2017 calendar release schedule easily. Including steam.
Why use Smash now when it could stand out more next year or the year after that? There's a ton of great games in 2017 already, so adding more on top of that would be overkill.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Why use Smash now when it could stand out more next year or the year after that? There's a ton of great games in 2017 already, so adding more on top of that would be overkill.

Yeah. Nintendo needs games to keep the momentum for 2018.

Any comparison with numbers to how PS4/xbone did this time last year, considering they didn’t have the switch to compete with, is the switch on track to sell better than the PS4 as things are going?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if the npd charges companies extra for the rights to brag about sales publicly

Or could be higher than that, if the rankings above rabbids in the Nintendo-shared stats were multiple sku of a few games. I guess both versions of destiny and 2K are up there?

The publishers are the ones who got the public numbers killed as they felt they didn't represent their business well.

Any comparison with numbers to how PS4/xbone did this time last year, considering they didn’t have the switch to compete with, is the switch on track to sell better than the PS4 as things are going?

It's been stock starved so far so it hasn't been doing better than the PS4 when aligned.

If we get numbers over the next few months, we can have a clearer picture. But generally, outside of Japan, the Switch has not been on the same successful trajectory that PS4 was on. Switch is doing great. PS4 is a beast.

Congrats to Ninty.

Nah, they seem to be complimenting one another rather than clashing. Both can continue having success without interfering much with the other.

Top Bottom