• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Battery Life: Varies by Game, 2.5-6 Hours

Cerium

screenshot2017-01-13a9cbk3.png

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/features/

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That's pretty bad.

This is why I questioned NathanDrake's source. There was no way it would be higher.

That 6 hour might be for low processing games on par with a low end mobile game.

Kathian

Banned
6 is good. I'd guess 2.5 is driven mainly by if you have to use the systems full power.

Not that upsetting but depends if your mainly there for handheld or console games.

CamHostage

Hooking a battery pack up via USB-C should be super easy. It'll feel like lugging around an Atari Lynx a bit to be tethered to a brick in your pocket, but between the few hours of play and the ease of tagging in a battery, I'm really not concerned about my Switch dying on me in a flight.

GOOCHY

The people who were saying that this was going to replace the DS/handheld in Nintendo's lineup were wrong. The battery life isn't long enough.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds about right. Pretty good for console quality games.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hasn't Nintendo been not exactly trustworthy with their battery claims? Hopefully they are being truthful here. Don't want Zelda and Skyrim to be a 2 hour event.

The thing I'm wondering is didn't they mention "Certified expandable batteries" or something like that? Like, that seems pretty damn important at this point. Reminds me of the old Wii days...

Battery life estimates seem to trend on the lower side, so this is probably closer to the 2.5 than the 6. 6 hours is probably if you do nothing but navigate the OS the whole time.

Oddish1

Ouch, and considering the battery life is typically overestimated and a good battery life is something I really wanted this is not a good conference for me so far.

LoveCake

Game dependent ok, but you're never going to know, also as time goes on the battery life will diminish, starting at 2,5 hours isn't a good starting point though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Does not sound good considering it is way more likely to be closer to the low end for your average game, but I think it's still pretty impressive for the form factor, display and relative power if the specs are true.

a916

So how many hours realistically? These things usually don't preform as well as real world tests right?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
In console-mode it has infinite battery life ya? All that matters to me. Thing seems to big ta be much of a portable anyhows!

Top Bottom