• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers Question

hemo memo

Gold Member
So I've bought the pair vouchers. Redeemed Fire Emblem Engage and Pre-ordered Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. Question is, Zelda release on 12 May. My online subscription ends in 8 days. Is my understanding correct that at time of Zelda release I must have an active online subscription?

Apologies to the mods if thread is not appropriate.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hmm, no idea on that one. I would think you have to have the online when purchasing the voucher. I can't imagine they'd let you buy the voucher and then not redeem it if your sub lapses, but I didn't read all the fine print.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You'll be fine as long as you redeem the voucher during a subscription and don't cancel the pre-order.

hemo memo

Gold Member
You'll be fine as long as you redeem the voucher during a subscription and don't cancel the pre-order.
This line confuses me though:

Pre-order Details

Estimated Release Date: 05/12/2023

The voucher will be redeemed for your selected content no sooner than seven days before the official release date, and the download will start immediately.

If you do not have a valid Nintendo Switch Game Voucher and a paid Nintendo Switch Online membership at the time of redemption, your pre-order will be canceled.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This line confuses me though:

Ahhh, I never saw the 7 days part.

Yeah, that sucks. You'll have to be a member a week before Zelda drops it seems.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Sounds pretty clear actually, but not good news for you. We know that you lock in the pre-order early, but they don't actually charge the card (or voucher) until a week prior. Here it says the pre-order is literally cancelled. Seems clear that its required.
Ahhh, I never saw the 7 days part.

Yeah, that sucks. You'll have to be a member a week before Zelda drops it seems.
I subscribed for a year just now just to be safe. If delay more than a year I’ll be screwed but that date seems locked.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Sounds pretty clear actually, but not good news for you. We know that you lock in the pre-order early, but they don't actually charge the card (or voucher) until a week prior. Here it says the pre-order is literally cancelled. Seems clear that its required.
It says "If you do not have a valid Nintendo Switch Game Voucher and a paid Nintendo Switch Online membership"

It says "AND" so if there's a valid Voucher but no NSO membership, it's good ?
The Voucher is already bought, it would be dumb to not allow to use it because the membership has ended, but that's Nintendo so we never know.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It says "If you do not have a valid Nintendo Switch Game Voucher and a paid Nintendo Switch Online membership"

It says "AND" so if there's a valid Voucher but no NSO membership, it's good ?
The Voucher is already bought, it would be dumb to not allow to use it because the membership has ended, but that's Nintendo so we never know.
I mean let say someone pre-ordered Bayonetta Origins and their online subscription only for 3 months and the game get delayed more than 3 months how is that the fault of the person that the game got delayed more than the membership period? Or let say in my case I extended my subscription for 3 months and Zelda get delayed? It seems weird honestly if it done that way.

AndrewRyan

Related question: Are the game vouchers always available to purchase now if you have an online subscription? Asking because I seem to remember about a year ago trying to purchase game vouchers and they weren't offering them so wondering if it's only during certain times or maybe things changed.

Top Bottom