• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: You can’t pre-order Switch games using your Vouchers if they expire before the game is released

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just giving people a heads-up. After today’s Direct, I decided to preorder the new Peach game. I’ve got a few extra Switch vouchers (from buying TotK and another title back in Feb), so I tried to use one of the remaining vouchers I still have.

Unfortunately, if the voucher is set to expire before the game actually releases, you’re unable to even pre-order it with the voucher. This is surprising and very dumb, as I assumed that I’d be able to use my vouchers for any game currently available to pre-order.

Just letting people know this limitation, since it’s not at all clear on the eshop when you actually buy the vouchers (which are otherwise a good deal, getting two first-party games for $99).

Very disappointing.

graywolf323

that does seem like a stupid oversight by Nintendo, did they work like that the first time around? I could have sworn I pre-ordered something that was set to release after my voucher would expire when they had made it so you couldn’t get more vouchers at that time

pqueue

legally it makes sense.

in many places when you pre-order something, like with a credit card, you are not BUYING the item at that time. you are reserving a copy. Your card is not actually charged until the time the item is ready to ship or shipped, as that is the law there.
this is treating the vouchers the same because they have expiration dates. You are not legally making a purchase since no product is available.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It's probably because:

-Vouchers expire 1 year after purchase.
-Nintendo let's you cancel pre-orders up until one week prior to the release date.

If the release date of the game exceeds the expiration date and you cancel the pre-order or the game gets cancelled, you'd be left with nothing. Though the same could be said for letting a voucher remain unused.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It's probably because:

-Vouchers expire 1 year after purchase.
-Nintendo let's you cancel pre-orders up until one week prior to the release date.

If the release date of the game exceeds the expiration date and you cancel the pre-order or the game gets cancelled, you'd be left with nothing. Though the same could be said for letting a voucher remain unused.
Yeah. In fact, if your voucher expires within that week before the game’s release, you can still use it for that game. It’s still quite a bummer. I don’t know what I’m gonna burn my last voucher on…

bender

What time is it?
This is the real reason that OP should be upset

No. This isn't fine print.

F6Ao818boAARkMT

bender

What time is it?
not being fine print doesn’t mean that being valid for only 12 months isn’t crap

It's an offer to get games at a discounted rate and they aren't hiding the terms. While it isn't ideal, I wouldn't consider it crap. You aren't forced to participate.

Top Bottom