• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling game system (US, 906K), Zelda over 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switch March Debut: 906K

Wii U November Debut: 425K
Wii U Holiday Total: 885K

3DS March Debut: 398K
3DS March + April: 592K
3DS First 5 Months: 922K

Wii November Debut: 476K
Wii Holiday Total: 1080K

DS November Debut: 479K
DS Holiday Total: 1225K

The 3DS numbers are the most important in order to make fair comparisons. Switch is really killing it. I expect it to sell 500k~ every month for the rest of the summer.

Kindekuma

Banned
If the Switch does take a turn for the worse at some point, this should definitely be one of the posts people drag up to laugh at. Maybe give the thing a couple months where Zelda isn't coming out before etching its fate in stone.

My post was more a joke post because it's always too soon no matter what to claim success despite positive news. See the thread about what GameStop said about the demand might outpace that of the Wii.

I'm not trying to backtrack here, but what I said could be interpreted differently in terms of being sarcastic or not.

Back on topic, this is great news for Nintendo for how much and how fast Switch units are moving. With a steady stream of games releasing I'm sure sales will continue to do well.

Just to have a foothold on what does this mean: when the PS4 sold 1 million in its first day was that just NA or was that worldwide? I can't remember.

And yet no third party AAA title to be seen...
Handhelds have been thriving for decades without much western support, that being said I'm sure Activision will bring a few titles over at the very least.
Edit: whoops I'm tired, thought I saw the word Western in there

The 3DS numbers are the most important in order to make fair comparisons. Switch is really killing it. I expect it to sell 500k~ every month for the rest of the summer.

That'd be extremely unlikely under normal circumstances.

The Switch is also heavily supply constrained.

If the Switch does take a turn for the worse at some point, this should definitely be one of the posts people drag up to laugh at. Maybe give the thing a couple months where Zelda isn't coming out before etching its fate in stone.

Oh no. Sounds like a terrible ordeal. Getting laughed at?!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's well deserved too, and it's not even a one, two punch of game and console. It's a 3-way combo of killer-app, attractive hardware, and appealing idea.

That's a potent formula, and is the same as the Wii actually. Just deployed differently.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Handhelds have been thriving for decades without much western support, that being said I'm sure Activision will bring a few titles over at the very least.

There has never been a handheld in the past that had comparable CPU and GPU power, the architecture, while different than the AMD GPU's and x86 CPU's should provide less of a challenge in porting, especially since UE4 is scalable on it.

aBarreras

Just to have a foothold on what does this mean: when the PS4 sold 1 million in its first day was that just NA or was that worldwide? I can't remember.

it means the switch was launched on march, and not on the holiday season, so the switch launch is kinda more amazing?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Since it's selling so much, I guess that means Nintendo will discontinue it. Congratulations to all of you that have the one now!!

18-Volt

If third parties didn't jump on the Wii's success with big titles I wouldn't hold your breath for Switch.

Oh I will hold my breath. Either I'll die or I'll play a FPS games that pushing Switch its limits on the console.

Seriously, FPS games are played perfectly on handhelds. Aiming is more comfortable since you're closer to the screen and motion controls helps a lot. There needs to be a FPS game on Switch.

Japan is currently at around 606k units, so between US and Japan, Switch is sitting at 1.5+ million. You'd figure Europe is well over 500k, so they should be well over 2 million by now, easily.

There has never been a handheld in the past that had comparable CPU and GPU power, the architecture, while different than the AMD GPU's and x86 CPU's should provide less of a challenge in porting, especially since UE4 is scalable on it.
Yeah I'm sure the third party ports will come. Just saying in the history of handhelds Western support has always been minimal.

J@hranimo

Banned
Nintendo Switch, the new home gaming system that people can also take on the go, has sold faster in its launch month than any other video game system in Nintendo history. The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. That makes Nintendo Switch one of the fastest-selling video game systems of all time. Notably, this sales surge was accomplished in a nontraditional month for a console launch.

The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game sold over 1.3 million units*. That total includes more than 925,000 units sold for Nintendo Switch and nearly 460,000 units sold for the Wii U console.

1491915248_a256d15d921244757268e797ea1320d1.jpg

antonz

I'm confused at this - what about the Wii? Like, I see those numbers on the graph, but the Wii was a worldwide cultural phenomenon. Its hype was orders of magnitude higher than Switch. Why did the Switch sell almost double what the WIi did in first month? Was that just stock shortages?

Until this Gen there was a lot more sense of caution with units available at launch. of course Wii ended up selling out everything it shipped for basically 2 years but yeah in general its just a case of what was normal for the time. It is why the Wii U initial launch looked good but then it became clear it did not have any serious momentum.

Keep the hits coming Nintendo. I'm excited for virtual console too. I've been without decent access to Nintendo games for about a decade.

Neoxon

Oh man. Pokémon is going to blow up on this thing.
That's IF we get Pokémon on the Switch this year. Judging by the recent Game Freak listing, we'll probably get Gen 8 on the Switch either way even if the Stars rumor turns out to be a dud. But if Stars (or whatever the final name is) ends up being real & Switch-only, Nintendo may as well start printing money.

That's IF we get Pokémon on the Switch this year. Judging by the recent Game Freak listing, we'll probably get Gen 8 on the Switch either way even if the Stars rumor turns out to be a dud. But if Stars (or whatever the final name is) ends up being real & Switch-only, Nintendo may as well start printing money.

I'm really hoping for it, I skipped sun and moon.

Hmm, wonder if Skyward Sword ever cracked 5 million sold. Curious to see how long it takes BOTW to sell 5 million. I know Twilight Princess was received well commercially.

Switch March Debut: 906K

Wii U November Debut: 425K
Wii U Holiday Total: 885K

3DS March Debut: 398K
3DS March + April: 592K
3DS First 5 Months: 922K

Wii November Debut: 476K
Wii Holiday Total: 1080K

DS November Debut: 479K
DS Holiday Total: 1225K

Wow. There it is

Neoxon

I'm really hoping for it, I skipped sun and moon.
Same here. Worst-case scenario, I can just pick up Sun/Moon if Stars turns out to be fake. Though to be fair, I was strapped for cash at the time, so that kinda attributed to my decision to wait on Gen 7 (I was already saving money for the Switch).

Trago

LOL

Are some of y'all serious? I think that without a doubt this console will crush the Wii U. Wii U's first year was dry as fuck. We're barely over a month in and we already have release dates for the next few major Nintendo releases, and those releases are close after launch.

The fuck were we waiting on Wii U in the same time frame? Lego City? Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate?

It also helps that they launched with a must-buy game out of the gate. I ain't calling it a mega success now, but compared to what was happening last generation, I'm ready to say that it won't fail like the Wii U.

Okay ?

I'm not saying sales will crater.

Do you even look at NPD data, aside from this thread ?

500k till summer would be absolutely insane. Like above PS2 levels of insane. Come on now.

The console is still selling what's being shipped. Is not that crazy to assume that April numbers will come close to 500k~, in my opinion. Mario Kart will help with that. Then you have Splatoon and ARMS. May / June / July can be huge for the Switch if the demand continues as it has been for the past month and a half.

Maybe not 500k~, but I doubt we will see a normal slow down for Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom