• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Now the Best-Selling Video Game Console in Canada for 25 Consecutive Months

Bodomism

Banned
VANCOUVER, BC. -- According to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales, the combined sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite systems hit over 148,000 units in Canada in the month of November. With these strong sales numbers, Nintendo Switch achieved another milestone as the best-selling video game console in Canada for a record-breaking 25 consecutive months.

Previous years sales data
PS4 - 450K
NSW - 400K
XB1 - 280K

NSW - 540K
PS4 - 470K
XB1 - 280K

NSW - 630K
PS4 - 350K
XB1 - 200K

NSW - 790K(11 months)
PS4 - ??
XB1 - ??

PS4 best selling year in Canada - 540K in 2015
XB1 best selling year in Canada - 380K in 2015

onesvenus

I haven't been following sales-age recently but is normal for the switch to sell more than the PS4?
Is that happening worldwide or just in some places?

Bodomism

Banned
I haven't been following sales-age recently but is normal for the switch to sell more than the PS4?
Switch is selling faster than PS4 launch aligned worldwide and after this Q3 the gap is going to be around 12-13 million units after 16 quarters and likely to outpace Nintendo Wii soon.

EmKBIOJXEAAtcsf

Clarissa

Banned
Don't worry Nintendo Switch also dominates in the US, Japan, France, China, South Korea, and Taiwan.
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy is working hard to make sure that Nintendo Switch is number one in Singapore too.

He says that his vision that eveyone traveling on the bus and train will be playing a switch instead of staring at their mobile phones is coming soon!

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Isn't it a 300+ dollar handheld??????????????????????????????????

But yeah Nintendo is on fire. It's my least played Nintendo console ever but that might just be because I'm getting old.

Bodomism

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy is working hard to make sure that Nintendo Switch is number one in Singapore too.

He says that his vision that eveyone traveling on the bus and train will be playing a switch instead of staring at their mobile phones is coming soon!
Your friend was born with Nintendo seal of quality on his belly. Natural born Nintendo chad.

Nintendo Switch is getting close to 1M annual sales in Canada which is really insane achievement.

Last edited:

Meesh

Yup. As a Canadian I can fully attest to purchasing 4 Switches total.
The Switch is on fire up in this fridged white north bitch.

noshten

Dang, they might double the best selling year for the PS4 in Canada, crazy.

December is looking good, Amazon.ca Hardware ranking for the month atm:

1) Switch Neon #6
2) PS5 #14
3) Animal Crossing Bundle #29
4) Fortnite Bundle #60
5) Lite Gray #70
6) Lite Coral #84
7) Series X #99
8) Switch Gray #100

Last edited:
Dang, they might double the best selling year for the PS4 in Canada, crazy.

December is looking good, Amazon.ca Hardware ranking for the month atm:

1) Switch Neon #6
2) PS5 #14
3) Animal Crossing Bundle #29
4) Fortnite Bundle #60
5) Lite Gray #70
6) Lite Coral #84
7) Series X #99
8) Switch Gray #100
Do you think 210K is feasible for Nintendo Switch in December?

I dont think it is world wide, unless there is hard proof from every country.

Here at Finland switch never sold out, on launch day, week, weeked = they were available everywhere easily (maybe on capital city area they had some short outs, not sure)

And always after the launch same story, plenty of switches on every store every time I visit them, and I do it often. Even when people from USA etc said how they were sold out because of xmas/corona/something else = they were always available here.

Meanwhile PS4 were sold out for 1-3 months at launch, or really difficult to find. And have been sold out around xmas some times still.

PS5 sold out in seconds/minutes and looks like it is sold out until spring.

So from this perspective, PS5 >> PS4 >>> Switch on sales at here, but I havent seen real number anywhere. Playstation really dominates here, nintendo is second I guess and xbox is almost non-existent.

Also: Switch is handheld system with TV out, so to be fair it should be either compared to best selling handheld, or more fairly best selling nintendo handheld + best selling home console, if it is basically both. So wii+3ds sales vs switch + switch lite sales, or something like that.

Last edited:

Ascend

Nintendo is bringing a good balance between fun, easy of use and price. Perfect example as to why the power of the console isn't really THAT important. And neither is RT.

Bodomism

Banned
I dont think it is world wide, unless there is hard proof from every country.

Here at Finland switch never sold out, on launch day, week, weeked = they were available everywhere easily (maybe on capital city area they had some short outs, not sure)

And always after the launch same story, plenty of switches on every store every time I visit them, and I do it often. Even when people from USA etc said how they were sold out because of xmas/corona/something else = they were always available here.

Meanwhile PS4 were sold out for 1-3 months at launch, or really difficult to find. And have been sold out around xmas some times still.

PS5 sold out in seconds/minutes and looks like it is sold out until spring.

So from this perspective, PS5 >> PS4 >>> Switch on sales at here, but I havent seen real number anywhere. Playstation really dominates here, nintendo is second I guess and xbox is almost non-existent.

Also: Switch is handheld system with TV out, so to be fair it should be either compared to best selling handheld, or more fairly best selling nintendo handheld + best selling home console, if it is basically both. So wii+3ds sales vs switch + switch lite sales, or something like that.
Launch aligned number

EmF_SB_XYAUiOx0

PS4 will be left far behind after this Q3 and 16 months on the market.

Javthusiast

Banned
Great for them. I just wish they had the decency, like the other two console manufacturers, to deep discount their first party ip.

I know they don‘t have to cause people keep buying them, but it would be a nice world to live in.

Then again, at least it means you can sell your physical copies for a high price and get a lot of your investment on these games back.

Bodomism

Banned
Great for them. I just wish they had the decency, like the other two console manufacturers, to deep discount their first party ip.

I know they don‘t have to cause people keep buying them, but it would be a nice world to live in.

Then again, at least it means you can sell your physical copies for a high price and get a lot of your investment on these games back.
Sony and Microsoft discounted their games frequently because their games don't have the same magnetic force to pull the buyers for a long period of time like Nintendo AAA games at a full price. If both companies games are selling like Nintendo none of those companies will discount their first party games.

Woopah

And hockey is the most popular sport. Let's not use them as a tool to judge the popularity of anything.

Plus, and I don't mean to sound racist, but the way the top half of their head comes apart from the bottom half of their head when they talk freaks me out.
These are great sales for Canada, and therefore the world.

MagnesG

Banned

They cut the prices so that they could get more sales, not because they are generous. Don't romanticize the reason it's all business here.

Astral Dog

Isn't it a 300+ dollar handheld??????????????????????????????????

But yeah Nintendo is on fire. It's my least played Nintendo console ever but that might just be because I'm getting old.
don't enjoy enjoy playing the switch as much as my PS4 (maybe the controller?) And i wish more games were native res or ran a litle better but its still a pretty cool system.

Nintendo first party efforts have been just ok this gen, games promised years ago, some ugly graphics like FE etc.but i think were the Switch really shines is when playing old console games and remasters on the go 👌 anything from Resident Evil to Skyrim, Dragons Dogma,Bayonetta,Final fantasy ,Ori,Devil May Cry having those series from PS2,PS3 and sometimes current gen working well on a portable is pretfy special and i been revisiting those games <3

noshten

Do you think 210K is feasible for Nintendo Switch in December?

For sure, December is the biggest month of the year for Nintendo.
Also I think Black Friday might have been a bit subdued due to COVID compared to previous years. As far as I understand Cyber Monday is part of December NPD this year.

VANCOUVER, BC. -- According to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales, the combined sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite systems hit over 148,000 units in Canada in the month of November. With these strong sales numbers, Nintendo Switch achieved another milestone as the best-selling video game console in Canada for a record-breaking 25 consecutive months.

Previous years sales data
PS4 - 450K
NSW - 400K
XB1 - 280K

NSW - 540K
PS4 - 470K
XB1 - 280K

NSW - 630K
PS4 - 350K
XB1 - 200K

NSW - 790K(11 months)
PS4 - ??
XB1 - ??

PS4 best selling year in Canada - 540K in 2015
XB1 best selling year in Canada - 380K in 2015

Impressive, really, with 12 months, it will be near 1 million

nintendo-switch-canada.jpg

Rambotito

Switch is dominating everywhere. Nintendo won last gen.
Even in Mexico, which is hard to believe because we get boned on prices due to import tariffs and VAT. The Switch is outselling the Xbox Series S, and Mexico is definitely Xbox country. Mind you, there are no shortages of Series S consoles down here.
Amazon Top Sellers in Mexico :
#2 Mario Kart 8
#3 Super Mario 3D
#4 Super Smash Bros.
#5 Animal Crossing
#7 Nintendo Switch
#10 Xbox Series S

Top Bottom