• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Online app now available on most Google Play and App Stores

Blunoise

Nope. This is the solution. And it's actually probably the best solution ...

If Nintendo put a headphone jack on the joy-cons, it would suck, because you'd be waving a cord around.

If Nintendo put a headphone jack in the Pro controller, everybody would complain because you would have to buy an $80 accessory in order to have voice chat.

If Nintendo required Bluetooth headphones, then people would complain because you would have to buy expensive air pod style things to voice chat. And also people would complain because you wouldn't be able to do local multiplayer with as many Switches, because the headset is hogging a Bluetooth slot.

And if Nintendo made voice chat a handheld only thing, people would complain, because then it wouldn't work while docked.

Also, there's Nintendo being worried about people (esp. kids) getting harassed. And they have a point: Splatoon is one of the few online shooters where I see a good mix of openly femme nicks in matches. Not being harassed for being a girl is a major perk of the franchise.

Pretty much everybody has a smartphone with a headphone jack, which makes it a nice way to provide voice chat for people who really want it. You're glancing at your phone to catch up on Facebook or look up super l33t strats between matches anyway, so it's not like it's going to add actual overhead to your life. And you can always invest in a pair of bluetooth headphones if you want to eliminate the cord. :)

Basically, sticking the voice chat on a phone does make a lot of sense, given what the Switch is, and what the bundled controllers are like. Not that will stop people from griping about it ... but they'd gripe about whatever solution Nintendo implemented, so I'm not sure the griping is going to bug the folks at Nintendo all that much.

I have kids that cuss me out on PS4.

I love Nintendo, buts it's not best solution. I like to use my phone to text and look up other tings while I'm talking with my friends from with in the system.

graywolf323

If Nintendo put a headphone jack on the joy-cons, it would suck, because you'd be waving a cord around.

If Nintendo put a headphone jack in the Pro controller, everybody would complain because you would have to buy an $80 accessory in order to have voice chat.

If Nintendo required Bluetooth headphones, then people would complain because you would have to buy expensive air pod style things to voice chat. And also people would complain because you wouldn't be able to do local multiplayer with as many Switches, because the headset is hogging a Bluetooth slot.

And if Nintendo made voice chat a handheld only thing, people would complain, because then it wouldn't work while docked.

Also, there's Nintendo being worried about people (esp. kids) getting harassed. And they have a point: Splatoon is one of the few online shooters where I see a good mix of openly femme nicks in matches. Not being harassed for being a girl is a major perk of the franchise.

Pretty much everybody has a smartphone with a headphone jack, which makes it a nice way to provide voice chat for people who really want it. You're glancing at your phone to catch up on Facebook or look up super l33t strats between matches anyway, so it's not like it's going to add actual overhead to your life. And you can always invest in a pair of bluetooth headphones if you want to eliminate the cord. :)

Basically, sticking the voice chat on a phone does make a lot of sense, given what the Switch is, and what the bundled controllers are like. Not that will stop people from griping about it ... but they'd gripe about whatever solution Nintendo implemented, so I'm not sure the griping is going to bug the folks at Nintendo all that much.

no this is by far the worst solution, the best solution would have been doing all the above so that you had choices

instead they opted to go the only route that requires something in addition to the Switch or it’s native accessorieas

Tryphus

Neo Member
I have absolutely no issues with the whole idea minus the fact that the chat will be game- specific only. I want to be able to play Zelda and chat with another friend playing Zelda(or another game...) And for God's sake why can't we send simple messages to friends!?!?(on the Switch itself)

This is not the best solution, it's the cheapest shitty solution for online voip in gaming history. As of now, this app only works with Splatoon. It's not even a universal function of Switch online. Any devs of any online game will have to make their own function through this app should they choose to bring their game over to the Switch and it's probably not worth it to do this since Nintendo can't even make this a base feature for all Switch games.

Reminds me of Wii U, Nintendo pushing gamepad features but all their games don't even use it so in the end no one used it but Ubisoft's Zombie U.

LotusHD

Banned
btw I would like to state for the record that yes, I am indeed a ridiculously passionate fan of Nintendo in general.

So between the fact that I don't really care about voice chat to begin with, and the fact that I'll pretty much make the most of whatever Nintendo manages to implement with this app... perhaps I don't really have a dog in this fight lol

It's like Radiohead - I'm going to listen to, and probably enjoy just about any music they release at this point, because my tastes are firmly aligned with theirs to such a degree that I no longer have a large degree of objectivity in regards to their work.

Then why even say anything...

btw I would like to state for the record that yes, I am indeed a ridiculously passionate fan of Nintendo in general.

I am shocked by this revelation.

So between the fact that I don't really care about voice chat to begin with, and the fact that I'll pretty much make the most of whatever Nintendo manages to implement with this app... perhaps I don't really have a dog in this fight lol

Maybe it's time to stop replying to this thread defending this then?

I'm sorry, this is stupid. A clunky app is the ONLY solution? The solution for people complaining about 'having' to use bluetooth headphones is to create an app on a separate device entirely? I'm sorry, but you're just 100% wrong.

FYI, there also could have just been a headphone jack on the grip for the joycons as well as the pro controller, that would leave 3 options available for wired headphones including handheld, motion joycon games people would use bluetooth and literally no one would complain.

I like the idea of being able to plan and invite people through an app, but making it the ONLY way to communicate is fucking stupid.

So what about someone like me who plays switch 90% of the time with split joy cons? Sucks to suck use the grip/switch to pro/undock the switch and play in tabletop mode?

I agree Nintendo should not have put ALL their eggs in the cellphone app basket, but I do get for a console that has 4 standard input options out the box along with 2 more arguable more popular as accessories it probably would have been an engineering nightmare to make sure everyone could plug headphones into whatever controller they were using.

Reminds me of Wii U, Nintendo pushing gamepad features but all their games don't even use it so in the end no one used it but Ubisoft's Zombie U.

This is the most likely scenario I have seen laid out here so far. Lines up with Nintendo's usual thinking/implementation, sadly.

I would also add that it'll probably share some similarities with Miiverse in this regard as well - and that's including all of negative and positive connotations of that comparison.

Dinjoralo

Nooo, it’s one of those apps with a non-fitting title.

IuHJAIq.jpg
Rename it! Oh, that's on iPhone, never mind..

I don't have any reason to use it now, since I'm not intending to get Splatoon 2... But I'll probably see what is when my phone isn't downloading an update.

nynt9

So what about someone like me who plays switch 90% of the time with split joy cons? Sucks to suck use the grip/switch to pro/undock the switch and play in tabletop mode?

I agree Nintendo should not have put ALL their eggs in the cellphone app basket, but I do get for a console that has 4 standard input options out the box along with 2 more arguable more popular as accessories it probably would have been an engineering nightmare to make sure everyone could plug headphones into whatever controller they were using.

Ever heard of bluetooth headphones? You and Nintendo clearly haven't. Better than having to have your phone next to you and have it be unlocked (because the app shuts down voice chat if it loses focus).

hiim_haz

Banned
I don't really care that it's tied to an app. I always have my phone with me anyway, but they should give you the option of using it on the console directly or through an app, I guess they chose the app for portability reasons? Limiting it to that is strange though.

Don't really see an issue with the app suspending when you use another application. It's just putting it on hold.

Mechazawa

...then that would be an instance where you would use the bluetooth headset. This shit was figured out ages ago.

Ever heard of bluetooth headphones? You and Nintendo clearly haven't. Better than having to have your phone next to you and have it be unlocked (because the app shuts down voice chat if it loses focus).

Possible solutions to this specific problem.

1.) (most obvious) BlueTooth support.
2.) Each JoyCon has a headphone jack.
3.) Grip has headphone jack.
4.) Optional separate grip has a headphone jack.
5.) Pro Controller has a headphone jack.

I mentioned both of those in my other post you didn't read :p

Edit: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=243864817

I'm down for blue tooth headphones, do we know for sure they won't fuck with the split joy con connection?

And I also said the app being opened was awful. I get people want to shit on this idea and mock anyone who even remotely isn't 100% shitting on it, but come on.

Because it's a thread about a thing from a company I like. The thread isn't implicitly intended solely for complaining about the app, but rather just general discussion of the fact that it's available for download.

"I will defend any decision a company I like makes" is not how one participates in a thread in good faith.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't really care that it's tied to an app. I always have my phone with me anyway, but they should give you the option of using it on the console directly or through an app, I guess they chose the app for portability reasons? Limiting it to that is strange though.

Don't really see an issue with the app suspending when you use another application. It's just putting it on hold.

You really don't see why people would like to be able to quickly switch over to another app without chat disconnecting? What if your phone disconnected calls when you bring up a different app? Or if music apps were to stop playing when you switch away from them? That would be ridiculous.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I think that if this was an optional thing people would be really cool with it and praising Nintendo's ingenuity.

But it being the only way to use online services is the dumbest shit ever. I mean it probably won't affect me too much but what the fuck, Nintendo.

selo

Cool, thanks! Just downloaded, time to check it out, although I guess we'll see its real capabilites on friday when splat2n launches (splatnet?)

hwy_61

Banned

As long as it doesn't disconnect from the party you're in. That would suuuuuuuuck.

LotusHD

Banned
Because it's a thread about a thing from a company I like. The thread isn't implicitly intended solely for complaining about the app, but rather just general discussion of the fact that it's available for download.

I'm just saying, it's weird to get all defensive about this whole app thing, and then later on freely admit that not only are you clearly biased when it comes to Nintendo, but that you don't even really care about voice chat. Just makes it just a tad difficult to take you seriously.

Mezoly

The worst part for me is that the game audio doesn't come from the same source as the voice chat source. Either buy a dongle or have a mono piece for the chat and keep game audio without headset.
Such an inelegant solution to an otherwise elegant console. This problem has been solved over a decade ago. I believe the DS had voice chat through the console in 2005.

Jubenhimer

I think what would be a better implementation, and I've said this before in other threads about this, is if the app has a feature to output the chat audio to the Switch itself, that way, users can plug in a headset to the Switch wired or wireless, and chat conventionally. The app at that point, would then be used as simply a glorified remote, which you could just throw in your pocket and only pull it out when you want to mute someone or add more people to the room. The point, is to eliminate the need to have your phone out at all times, something which the current implementation seems to demand.

Also, make it so that voice chat can continue even when you open another app. If they can just fix these two things, then voice chat wouldn't be so bad. But as it stands, this just looks like a half-baked solution that's more complicated than it should be

duckroll

I think that if this was an optional thing people would be really cool with it and praising Nintendo's ingenuity.

But it being the only way to use online services is the dumbest shit ever. I mean it probably won't affect me too much but what the fuck, Nintendo.

This is pretty much it in the nutshell. It's not about whether the app itself works or how good or bad it is. It is the fact that you have a modern gaming system with competitive team based multiplayer games, which requires a smartphone app for voice chat and matchmaking. The entire idea is inane.

I'm just saying, it's weird to get all defensive about this whole app thing, and then later on freely admit that not only are you clearly biased when it comes to Nintendo, but that you don't even really care about voice chat. Just makes it just a tad difficult to take you seriously.

Its my gripe with fanboys in general. You cant have a coherent and proper discussion when a lot of threads are shat up with obvious diehards. Not just Nintendo fanboys, but in general.

hiim_haz

Banned
You really don't see why people would like to be able to quickly switch over to another app without chat disconnecting? What if your phone disconnected calls when you bring up a different app? That would be ridiculous.

The implementation sounds like it's just putting it on hold until you go back to the app. I see why it's annoying but for me I really don't care it's not a big deal for me.

Oh yeah. This thing.

Should I download it if I'm never actually planing on playing online much?

Does it have other uses? I can't check the App Store right now

"I will defend any decision a company I like makes" is not how one participates in a thread in good faith.

Come on, be fair - I don't think it's reasonable to assert that I have defended anything to any great degree, other than against what I perceive to be negative assertions based on less than adequate information.

Let's all use the thing before we genuinely assert that it's bullshit. If it's bullshit, I won't automatically or dishonestly defend it. I'm not THAT bad lol

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I won't judge too harshly from the get-go since this will be first iteration of the concept, but yeah. I'm not too confident that they'll get right whatever they're trying to do with that smartphone app on launch day.

Maximo

This was all it took! Nice.

Strange not once did I say *Im not buying this system because of the Online App*
What I did say was. "Nintendo always finds ways to make it harder to consider purchasing their Systems" What is wrong with my statement?

nynt9

Come on, be fair - I don't think it's reasonable to assert that I have defended anything to any great degree, other than against what I perceive to be negative assertions based on less than adequate information.

Let's all use the thing before we genuinely assert that it's bullshit. If it's bullshit, I won't automatically or dishonestly defend it. I'm not THAT bad lol

We know how it works. We don't need to use it to know the official limitations, made clear by Nintendo, are stupid. Nothing is going to change when we use it.

Possible solutions to this specific problem.

1.) (most obvious) BlueTooth support.
2.) Each JoyCon has a headphone jack.
3.) Grip has headphone jack.
4.) Optional separate grip has a headphone jack.
5.) Pro Controller has a headphone jack.

Of course (mentioned that myself http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=243864817 ). I imagine the reason they didn't do the "EVERYONE GETS AN AUX PORT" was because the accessory cost was getting high thanks to hd rumble and gyros and all that fun stuff. Giving everything an aux port would have likely raised the cost or hurt margins even more. I guess the latter would have been best for consumers though that wouldn't help the smash community unless Nintendo released a bunch of new gc controllers with aux ports.

Biske

Its an interesting way to go, seems pretty stupid, but hey why not. Why not.

I don't think chat adds anything to gaming myself, so from my perspective as stupid as it is, I'm totally fine with them doing it, as baffling as it is.

MrGameBoy

While Patch13's explanation for Nintendo's (possible) reasoning behind implementing the phone app doesn't quite convince me of it's being the best option, it seems that almost everyone outright dismissing his post failed to consider players who prefer using split Joy-Cons (and NEITHER the Joy-Con Grip NOR handheld mode). Cool it with unnecessarily snide remarks. Yeessh. :\

Love my switch, but man this is garbage lmao. Is there some technical reason that they can't integrate voice chat to the game, or is Nintendo just this stupid?

Top Bottom