• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch online auto renewal: beware

mcjmetroid

Am I right to be annoyed here?

Nintendo of UK support won't refund me for a transaction from my account for Nintendo Switch online for the year.

Not to mention that it took them 2 weeks to back to me about it.

They will only do this for initial Switch online purchases but not for automatic renewal? For an initial purchase it allows you to do it within 14 days but they refuse to do it if it automatically comes out of your account.

I mean yes it's my own fault for selecting auto renewal last year but surely it's dodgy has fuck not allowing users to get a refund for any transaction that comes out of your account from them.

Any other ideas on what I should do here? Because the treatment I got from the support agent was not good.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I mean yes it's my own fault

Answered your own question

We have this thread once a month, it's auto-renewal and you agreed to it, some companies will offer you a way out but that's only a courtesy. It's how a lot of subscription services make their money, knowing that people will just click click click without thinking about the renewal date.

If you really want, you can take it up with your bank and charge back, but for doing that I'm pretty sure Nintendo can lock you out of your account if they feel like it. Just take the hit, Nintendo Online is cheap as fuck anyways.

Last edited:

TheContact

How long did you wait until you notified them after the renewal? I signed up for a year of auto renewal for WoW and didn't realize it when it renewed that I wanted to go month-to-month again, and they refunded the year and set it back to monthly, but I contacted them the day it renewed so that might have been a factor. If you contacted them day1 of the renewal and it took them 2 weeks to get back to you, that sounds like a failure on their part, but they aren't obligated to cancel the renewal for you since you agreed to it. If they do, it would be out of a courtesy, which I think they should do, but again, you would have had to contact them day1 or very close to it.

mcjmetroid

Answered your own question

We have this thread once a month, it's auto-renewal and you agreed to it, some companies will offer you a way out but that's only a courtesy. It's how a lot of subscription services make their money, knowing that people will just click click click without thinking about the renewal date.

didn't realise it came up that often. Well look listen learnt i guess. Oh well at least I have switch online for another year.

Vawn

Banned
This is one way subscription services make money. It's kind of scummy, but everyone does it.

I ordered a year of GamePass Ultimate for $1. But, the catch is it has auto-renewal. If I forget to cancel in time I'll be charged $15 a month until I notice.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
didn't realise it came up that often. Well look listen learnt i guess. Oh well at least I have switch online for another year.

It gets everyone at some point or other. Every time I sign up to a subscription I might want to cancel I set a calendar reminder so I don't get screwed, recommend doing that.

mcjmetroid

How long did you wait until you notified them after the renewal? I signed up for a year of auto renewal for WoW and didn't realize it when it renewed that I wanted to go month-to-month again, and they refunded the year and set it back to monthly, but I contacted them the day it renewed so that might have been a factor. If you contacted them day1 of the renewal and it took them 2 weeks to get back to you, that sounds like a failure on their part, but they aren't obligated to cancel the renewal for you since you agreed to it. If they do, it would be out of a courtesy, which I think they should do, but again, you would have had to contact them day1 or very close to it.

I did contact them on day 1 but they never emailed me back, and I sent 2 emails.

only reason I got anything this time is because I went on the chat support.

Look, Thanks for the message but it's only 20 euros, so I'm not going to waste further time fighting it I just find the whole process very dodgy. Do Sony and Microsoft have a similar non policy?

mcjmetroid

This is one way subscription services make money. It's kind of scummy, but everyone does it.

I ordered a year of GamePass Ultimate for $1. But, the catch is it has auto-renewal. If I forget to cancel in time I'll be charged $15 a month until I notice.

I guess you answered my question about MS doing the same thing.

TheContact

I did contact them on day 1 but they never emailed me back, and I sent 2 emails.

only reason I got anything this time is because I went on the chat support.

Look, Thanks for the message but it's only 20 euros, so I'm not going to waste further time fighting it I just find the whole process very dodgy. Do Sony and Microsoft have a similar non policy?

Honestly I always go for chat or phone with immediate issues. For helpdesk people, it's much easier to put aside an email than it is a chat or phone call.

mcjmetroid

Auto renewal means that, nothing wrong with Nintendo not refunding people that cant be arsed to read/understand.
What part of auto renewal was hard to understand?
Yep my face is indeed red.

source.gif

Portugeezer

That is the whole point of auto renewal and companies make a lot of money from it. I usually cancel auto renewal on the same day of purchase.

It is a scummy business practise because if you need it you could always do it yourself, but we know why auto renewal exists...

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
This is how automatic renewal works. And if you think you're going to stick it to them by getting a free trial with no intent to buy the service, you'd better set a reminder to cancel when you have to. This ain't Baskin Robbins.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This is how they get you with subscriptions. And often times, they make it hard to know if you are going to be charged again. I remember years ago with PS+, you'd have to go to multiple places to turn off auto-renewal or else it'd still happen.

Amazon makes you think you are going to lose all your Prime benefits the second you cancel in the hopes that you'll wait until closer to when the sub runs out and forget. I think Xbox Live used to be hard to cancel as well. They all do this shit. It's predatory, but it works.

TacosNSalsa

The first thing I do with any sub service or trial or whatever is turn off auto renewal or cancel it, you get the time you just paid for. There is no reason for anyone to wait till 2 days before to cancel it .

"For your convenience" my left nut ..

Last edited:

Antwix

You can turn off auto-renewal at any time fyi. You'll still keep whatever your subscription amount is.

I too got an email that warned me that in 30 days the subscription would renew, with detailed instructions on how to cancel.

I wonder if there is a bug in the system that not everyone is getting sent that?

Top Bottom