• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |OT| Switch It Up

Celcius

°Temp. member
I saw a Splatoon 3 OLED Switch in stock at my local Target yesterday and it was really tempting to grab it even though I already have an OLED Switch. I ended up passing on it but it would have been cool as I've never owned a Limited Edition system in my life.

My Switch WiFi has crapped out it seems. Usually I play with it in Flight Mode with Bluetooth so I can use joycons or pro controller. I went to enable WiFi so my games could back up their saves but it wouldn't connect to my WiFi. The WiFi was working a few days ago. When I go into WiFi it doesn't find any networks. I had to connect an ethernet cable to my dock to get internet and back up my saves. I just done a complete factory reset of the console but it's still happening :( This is what it says and the error code it gives is 2110-1115:

tkwTm3J.jpg

Z9CPjgs.jpg

Nintendo support page is here

and I've done everything on there. Tried restarting the console, can't create a new network, rebooted my Router, moving closer to the router. My router is up to date. I'm not willing to reset my router because it's way too much hassle and I honestly don't think it's the issue.

So looks like a dead Switch, right? I mean it still works perfectly fine except no WiFi. Not sure what to do here... is it an easy repair, should I send it to Nintendo, or just sell it as faulty online and buy a new Switch?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My Switch WiFi has crapped out it seems. Usually I play with it in Flight Mode with Bluetooth so I can use joycons or pro controller. I went to enable WiFi so my games could back up their saves but it wouldn't connect to my WiFi. The WiFi was working a few days ago. When I go into WiFi it doesn't find any networks. I had to connect an ethernet cable to my dock to get internet and back up my saves. I just done a complete factory reset of the console but it's still happening :( This is what it says and the error code it gives is 2110-1115:

tkwTm3J.jpg

Z9CPjgs.jpg

Nintendo support page is here

and I've done everything on there. Tried restarting the console, can't create a new network, rebooted my Router, moving closer to the router. My router is up to date. I'm not willing to reset my router because it's way too much hassle and I honestly don't think it's the issue.

So looks like a dead Switch, right? I mean it still works perfectly fine except no WiFi. Not sure what to do here... is it an easy repair, should I send it to Nintendo, or just sell it as faulty online and buy a new Switch?

Just replacing the antenna looks super involved:

Just replacing the antenna looks super involved:

Yeah I looked into seeing how difficult it would be. I am quite used to taking things apart but I can't be fucked with that.

I've sold my Switch on eBay as faulty. If someone else wants to fix it they can do it. I know I could probably have sent it to Nintendo for repair but last time I done that it took two weeks. It's a lot faster to shift it on eBay and go buy a new one! I already have the money in my bank. Going to head to the shops this morning to pick up a new Switch :)

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Tears of the Kingdom gameplay preview looks like it's a much improved experienced. The Fuse system is going to lead to so many novel creations (and of course lots of big dick-shaped stuff).

Did Nintendo do a revision to the OLED model?

I got my new OLED and it seems different. I mean it's still the same and it's not like it's an OLED v2 and I might be imagining it but it feels like they've changed it. The buttons feel a lot softer. My old OLED (from launch) was more clicky but this has a quiet click and feels easier to press. I know not every controller feels the same so it could just be the manufacturing process.

The back of the console feels like a different texture. I do remember it being sparkly but it feels rougher to the touch and I quite like it. The speaker "grill" looks different. It's just a mesh covering it... maybe it was always like this and I wasn't paying attention lol.

The screen also looks a bit warmer. This could just be a variation between displays of course but I like it. It's easier on the eyes. I turned off Vivid because it's just too strong. I had Vivid off on my previous model.

edit: OMG lmao i'm an idiot. I thought the speakers were on the back. I didn't even see them on the front :messenger_tears_of_joy: What I thought were the speakers are the air intake vents. I still don't remember seeing them before lol.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Anybody knows if u can play online games like bowser fury with people oversea's.

So if i have the EU game, can i play with friends in the US?

GenericUser

Hi switch fans, I have a question. My niece turns 9 this june and she has a sister
She and her sister repeadedly asked me if they could play with my playstation. Of course I said yes and they seemed to enjoy that quite a lot.

I'm thinking about getting her a nintendo switch for her birthday, because there are more game suited for kids on that system then there are on playstation or xbox.

Question 1: Is internal harddrive space an issue on the switch? As I said, I want to get them a few games to start with and I don't wan't her mom have to buy additional storage just because uncle fucked up and didn't think about the limited internal storage.
Question 1: What games do you recommend? I saw a bundle with mario odyssey and you can't go wrong with mario, right? I also want to get them the new zelda, because - why not. But I also want to get them at least 1 or 2 multiplayer titles that they can play together and with their friends. Mario Kart comes to mind, but what else?

thanks for helping an uncle out

Last edited:
Hi switch fans, I have a question. My niece turns 9 this june and she has a sister
She and her sister repeadedly asked me if they could play with my playstation. Of course I said yes and they seemed to enjoy that quite a lot.

I'm thinking about getting her a nintendo switch for her birthday, because there are more game suited for kids on that system then there are on playstation or xbox.

Question 1: Is internal harddrive space an issue on the switch? As I said, I want to get them a few games to start with and I don't wan't her mom have to buy additional storage just because uncle fucked up and didn't think about the limited internal storage.
Question 1: What games do you recommend? I saw a bundle with mario odyssey and you can't go wrong with mario, right? I also want to get them the new zelda, because - why not. But I also want to get them at least 1 or 2 multiplayer titles that they can play together and with their friends. Mario Kart comes to mind, but what else?

thanks for helping an uncle out
The Switch has 32 Gb of internal storage, so an SD card is a must especially if they’re going to buy games digitally.

Mario is a great choice. A few other games that come to mind: Splatoon, Kirby, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, and the upcoming Pikmin 4.

GenericUser

The Switch has 32 Gb of internal storage, so an SD card is a must especially if they’re going to buy games digitally.

Mario is a great choice. A few other games that come to mind: Splatoon, Kirby, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, and the upcoming Pikmin 4.
I see. I plan to buy the games in physical form, but 32GB seems pretty tiny nonetheless. I'm going to buy an additional 256GB micro SD card. Is that enough, if you mostly use physical games?
Are the games you mentioned multiplayer titles? I will already get two single player games for them (mario and zelda) and I want to provide them with two additional games that they can enjoy together or even with friends from school.

I don't want them to become an unsocial, misanthropic nerd like their uncle.

Edit: I've seen that you can play mario kart in 4 player splitscreen mode. You can't go wrong with mario kart, right?

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I see. I plan to buy the games in physical form, but 32GB seems pretty tiny nonetheless. I'm going to buy an additional 256GB micro SD card. Is that enough, if you mostly use physical games?
256 GB is more than enough if you buy physical games.

I'm 99% digital since launch and recently went from 256 to 512 GB as I had to delete games.
Games on the Switch are way less big than current consoles, your SD card will mostly be used for games updates and captures then (saves are only on the console, not SD).

Are the games you mentioned multiplayer titles? I will already get two single player games for them (mario and zelda) and I want to provide them with two additional games that they can enjoy together or even with friends from school.

Edit: I've seen that you can play mario kart in 4 player splitscreen mode. You can't go wrong with mario kart, right?
I have a 256GB card and it’s plenty enough for me, I’m almost digital-only and haven’t even reached half the stockage. Switch games are much smaller than, say, PS4/5 games. That said I mostly play long RPGs so I don’t have that many games yet.

Splatoon is purely multiplayer, Pokémon Scarlet/Violet has co-op, as for the other games I don’t think they have multiplayer.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I was just managing my library the other day, and it seems most full games (not short little indies) are between 6 GB and 10.x GB in size. To give you an idea of how much space you'd need.

I have a 256 GB SD card, buy almost exclusively digital, and haven't ran into an issue with storage yet. Games that seem to load a little slowly from SD I move to the internal storage.

GenericUser

I have a 256GB card and it’s plenty enough for me, I’m almost digital-only and haven’t even reached half the stockage. Switch games are much smaller than, say, PS4/5 games. That said I mostly play long RPGs so I don’t have that many games yet.

Splatoon is purely multiplayer, Pokémon Scarlet/Violet has co-op, as for the other games I don’t think they have multiplayer.
But I don't want them to "shoot" at things, I want them to have fun together or compete with others in a more friendly way. I know it sounds stupid, but they are kids.

edit:
one of my nieces suffers from dyslexia, I wonder if there are any games on the switch that will promote reading in a more "gamey" way.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
I caved in and bought the Zelda ToTK switch. Only other one I've had is an OG launch model. Just set it up, put in a new SD card, set as the primary console, and redownloaded a few games. That was surprisingly easy... considering it's Nintendo after all.

The OLED screen is gorgeous but I play in docked mode only. The dock is flimsier than the OG one but I like they moved out the USB slots and have a built on Ethernet port.

Time to put the other one out to pasture. It's done well!

Edit: totally didn't realize my original dock had two USB slots on the side lol.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

If I share my account between my switch (secondary) and my son’s (primary) , will the individual online plan cover us both? Will I be able to download NES on both consoles ?

Banjo64

cumsessed
If I share my account between my switch (secondary) and my son’s (primary) , will the individual online plan cover us both? Will I be able to download NES on both consoles ?
yeah.

key points:
  • unlike ps and xbox only your profile has access to online play (not every account on your primary console) however any sub accounts can still play all of your games on the primary console (just not online). so if you set your son's switch as your primary console - he can access all of your games, but on his profile.
  • all of your digital games (and the nes/snes/game boy apps) will be playable on both switches, but only one switch can be playing any one of your digital games at any one time.
  • he could play a digital game, and you could play a physical game at the same time. (or vice versa)
  • if you'd like to play when he is playing, you could make a second profile for yourself that you use when he is using his switch, and on that second profile you could download rocket league, fortnite, apex, overwatch etc

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
can't wait for friday. i've managed to carve out 3 days for myself with no missus and no kids (first time in 6 years), some crazy stroke of luck that it coincides with totk,

in other news, the n64 expansion is finally enough to convince me to upgrade to the £35 NSO offering. my 3ds has all of the Zelda's up to MM but playing it all on the oled panel instead of the 3ds TN panel, and having access to everything in one place alongside Mario 64, BK, MK64, Goldeneye - it's compelling.

ironically going to use MS reward points (after this first year) to redeem Nintendo eshop cards to stack as many years as i can.

Krathoon

I notice people are not really buying the OLED Zelda Switch. I am tempted to get it, but I know that the screen is the only real improvement.

Kenpachii

I went ahead and took the plunge and ordered the fancy Zelda Switch. Using the tax refund.

I assume it uses the same adapter. I was just going to swap in the docking station and use the same adapter.

I wanted to get that one but zelda wasn't included with it. So no clue if you realized that but if not, there you go.

Krathoon

I wanted to get that one but zelda wasn't included with it. So no clue if you realized that but if not, there you go.
Yeah. Nintendo does that annoying thing now where the do not throw in a game with new systems.

I miss the old days when you would get Super Mario World.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I got my new Switch in that mail. I am loading up my stuff. My downloads seem to be under 50gb, which surprised me.

I need to stick the SD card in it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I got my new Switch in that mail. I am loading up my stuff. My downloads seem to be under 50gb, which surprised me.

I need to stick the SD card in it.
I love the OLED model. I got it in white as that’s my go to colour. Personal advice, get the Skull & Co Neogrip - there’s a Zelda themed one for your console. It’s completely changed the game for me, the console now feels as comfy to hold as any controller, no cramping at all.

Krathoon

There are some nice improvements with the OLED Switch. The kickstand is wider and you can easily get to the SD card port. It seems like the buttons are softer.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hi!

Has experience and thus recommendations for a Switch wireless controller?

Must preferably have asymmetrical sticks and back buttons (2 back buttons will suffice)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't normally pay to play console games online but the Switch being only $20 for a year plus Splatoon 3 being so fun might finally get me to do it. Plus you get the cloud saves as well. Hmm...

I’m getting another Switch this weekend, mainly to play Japanese games. Anyone here who uses multiple region eshops have an opinion on whether I should create a separate Nintendo account, or just change the region on my existing account?

NanaMiku

I’m getting another Switch this weekend, mainly to play Japanese games. Anyone here who uses multiple region eshops have an opinion on whether I should create a separate Nintendo account, or just change the region on my existing account?
I use multiple accounts for each region. It's a hassle to change the region in the setting each time I want to check the eShop

Little Mac

Just bought a Renewed Premium Switch OLED off amazon. I get it in a week. I chose renewed because I get a 365 day return, exchange, or refund policy on it so I should be able to trade up if a new console gets announced. For some reason I'm nervous about spending the money. Is it worth it? I've been dying to play Dread and TotK for a while now but nervous about the switch's age and new consoles getting announced.

Metroid Dread was the first game I bought.

It is a lot of money for what you get. The OLED screen makes it worthwhile. Even the best games are blurry and low resolution while docked. Playing this in handheld mode on the new, larger, crisp screen is where you get value. It’s like a completely different console compared to the original and lite. Even the console itself feels better to hold.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Just bought a Renewed Premium Switch OLED off amazon. I get it in a week. I chose renewed because I get a 365 day return, exchange, or refund policy on it so I should be able to trade up if a new console gets announced. For some reason I'm nervous about spending the money. Is it worth it? I've been dying to play Dread and TotK for a while now but nervous about the switch's age and new consoles getting announced.
You're nervous? I waited until last year to finally get one. Well...it was a birthday gift but I don't pay much into consoles anymore (mostly play on P.C.). It's worth it. If a new console comes out, there's a high change it'll be backwards compatible and I'd estimate a year would be early for their next console. This your first Switch?
What are some good Switch-centric YouTube channels to subscribe to?
YouTubers can be annoying (IMO). If it's a walkthrough there are plenty of sites I'll go to instead. If it's news, opinion or otherwise...here. Good news is that you're in a gaming forum. If you get stuck with something; plenty of helpful folks here to drop you some links.

Little Mac

Finally got my Amazon renewed premium Switch OLED. Looks and operates exactly like new. With the year long refund or exchange policy, I’m glad I bought it. I’m in love with the switch’s ui. Simple and clean. The eshop is slow af though. The Oled screen is really amazing and it kinda makes me sad when I have to dock the device because my hands are too big for the joycons. I’m using the packaged joycon holder grip for the time being until I can find and buy the pro controller. Might look for a good grip case or joycon alternative so I can enjoy the Oled screen. Any recommendations?

Anyways, I bought Links Awakening, Dread, Prime Remastered, and BotW. Prime and BotW won’t arrive til the middle of next week so I have to decide between LA and Dread in the meantime. What does Gaf recommend I play first?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Finally got my Amazon renewed premium Switch OLED. Looks and operates exactly like new. With the year long refund or exchange policy, I’m glad I bought it. I’m in love with the switch’s ui. Simple and clean. The eshop is slow af though. The Oled screen is really amazing and it kinda makes me sad when I have to dock the device because my hands are too big for the joycons. I’m using the packaged joycon holder grip for the time being until I can find and buy the pro controller. Might look for a good grip case or joycon alternative so I can enjoy the Oled screen. Any recommendations?

Anyways, I bought Links Awakening, Dread, Prime Remastered, and BotW. Prime and BotW won’t arrive til the middle of next week so I have to decide between LA and Dread in the meantime. What does Gaf recommend I play first?
If you can spare the vibrate, Hori pad cons and down the line for docked 8bitdo or PowerA pro controls are sweet.

I second the above post, Link's Awakening.

Top Bottom